PDA

View Full Version : a rarely discussed point.....

alibaby
Sep 29th, 2006, 01:48 PM
based on the often unfairly and harsh comments made on underperforming players,a certain point sprang to my mind,which is,IMO,hindsighted too rarely:

-did you ever think about,how extremely stressful and exhausting the travelling and especially the constant changing of timezones is for the girls??they travel from one point in the world to another,often in the space of 1 week!!if you are a normal tourist,that apologises for being "jet-lagged",its fine and accepted.so how about being a bit more easy on the girls,for not being able to bring up constantly top efforts??

just a thought....

speak your mind,people!! :)

brayster87
Sep 29th, 2006, 01:50 PM
they would get used to it over the years. its second nature

arslan2660
Sep 29th, 2006, 01:50 PM
yeah, I think you're right. But someone arrive like 4 days before the match, so they SHOULD b ready. But beside that, I think it is a good thread, to come up with..

Lindsayfan32
Sep 29th, 2006, 01:51 PM
I think you have a point. When Lindsay win a tough match people think she's the greatest fighter out there. When she loses she tanked the match and what brought up makes sense. Also you can't preform at your maximum all of the time either.

Shonami Slam
Sep 29th, 2006, 01:51 PM
i remember talking about winning back-to-back-to-back titles on three continents. can't remember who - but i thought it waqs amazing.

Kimster
Sep 29th, 2006, 01:52 PM
I think about it!! It's an important (and exhausting) part of their profession. I'm sure there are very talented boys and girls who find it hard to deal with this and will therefore never make it to the top.

Good point.

Corswandt
Sep 29th, 2006, 02:03 PM
based on the often unfairly and harsh comments made on underperforming players,a certain point sprang to my mind,which is,IMO,hindsighted too rarely:

-did you ever think about,how extremely stressful and exhausting the travelling and especially the constant changing of timezones is for the girls??they travel from one point in the world to another,often in the space of 1 week!!if you are a normal tourist,that apologises for being "jet-lagged",its fine and accepted.so how about being a bit more easy on the girls,for not being able to bring up constantly top efforts??

just a thought....

They're getting paid buckets of money to do it [the top players at least - and even relatively young journeywomen like say Benesova have earned more tha 700.000 USD on prize money alone]. So I wouldn't whine if I was on their place.

I don't blast players who are still very young and/or slogging it out for peanuts in challengers. But players who have been pros for 2-3 years, have made good money, and can afford to stay in good hotels, have no business complaining about grueling schedules, jetlag and other inconveniences of intercontinental travel.

alibaby
Sep 29th, 2006, 02:08 PM
I think about it!! It's an important (and exhausting) part of their profession. I'm sure there are very talented boys and girls who find it hard to deal with this and will therefore never make it to the top.

Good point.
thx.yeah,i just thought,it would be fair to speak it out,because people very often,very soon have a "go" at them,which i find very unfair,so i wanted to make that clear...

and what i dont like too is that often used argument "come on,they earn enough money,so they have to be able to take it!!"what a rub!what has one thing to do with another?sure,it makes some things easier,but it doesnt improve your physical shape!!

so,please a bit more fairness and hindsight in the future....

Corswandt
Sep 29th, 2006, 02:46 PM
and what i dont like too is that often used argument "come on,they earn enough money,so they have to be able to take it!!"what a rub!what has one thing to do with another?sure,it makes some things easier,but it doesnt improve your physical shape!!

You are a whiny waste of space who seems to believe any criticism (no matter how politely put) of any player (no matter how disgraceful her conduct) is hateful, disrespectful and unwarranted. My reply was addressed more at your ramblings in general than at the specific issue of jetlag.

And no, jetlag is no excuse for poor oncourt performances. Sleep deprivation brought by jetlag will slow your reaction speed, but its main effects are mental, and not physical. And a couple of days are typically enough to recover from initial sleep deprivation (even if not from jetlag in itself).

SlipknotSian
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:12 PM
they get used to it i think, but if u read Jelena Jankovic blog she said all she did was sleep, so i suppose its like working shifts after a while it does become second nature

jimbo mack
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:19 PM

just a thought....

i'm afraid you are a big softie

cute in one way, annoying in another

Lunaris
Sep 29th, 2006, 04:02 PM
I just don't like people doing this - the first day when their favourite player wins the match she is goddes for huge amount of people and the second day when she lose people are throwing rocks on her.

vogus
Sep 29th, 2006, 04:03 PM
You are a whiny waste of space who seems to believe any criticism (no matter how politely put) of any player (no matter how disgraceful her conduct) is hateful, disrespectful and unwarranted. My reply was addressed more at your ramblings in general than at the specific issue of jetlag.

And no, jetlag is no excuse for poor oncourt performances. Sleep deprivation brought by jetlag will slow your reaction speed, but its main effects are mental, and not physical. And a couple of days are typically enough to recover from initial sleep deprivation (even if not from jetlag in itself).

can i sign my name to this post as well?

alibaby bullies when he can and whines when he can't, in the name of "protecting" women's tennis players from criticism. Guess what? The players have a public and very well paid job. They are subject to having their performances evaluated. Ever since he came here, this guy has always thought somebody appointed him this board's official guardian and censor. Too bad he doesn't post in Non-Tennis because i'd 'd love to see him trying to control people's political views.

Aaron68
Sep 29th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Take American baseball as an example. They play a 180 day schedule, with 19 days off, most of which are spent travelling. If you just grab a player in the clubhouse, on any given day, there's at least a 25% chance he won't be able to tell you what day of the week it is.

Sure, they battle, they fight, but it's a tough life.

Now, in international tennis, it's exacerbated. You aren't just talking about Arizona, then Colorado, then LA. You are talking all over the world.

It might seem great, and it is for a lot of players. But the grind gets to everyone. I don't care if you are staying at the Four Seasons in NY and the George V in Paris. It's still constant travel, constant jetlag, constant arriving, departing, getting settled just to leave a few days later.

It definitely takes its toll. And the season is longer now than it used to be. The grind is harder. And the players feel the effects, both on the court and off. That's why someone like Maria Sharapova isn't playing as many tournaments.

The season needs to be shortened, and the ranking system needs to be changed. Too many good, young players are getting ground up and thrown aside, due to both mental and physical stress.

vogus
Sep 29th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Take American baseball as an example. They play a 180 day schedule, with 19 days off, most of which are spent travelling. If you just grab a player in the clubhouse, on any given day, there's at least a 25% chance he won't be able to tell you what day of the week it is.

Sure, they battle, they fight, but it's a tough life.

Now, in international tennis, it's exacerbated. You aren't just talking about Arizona, then Colorado, then LA. You are talking all over the world.

It might seem great, and it is for a lot of players. But the grind gets to everyone. I don't care if you are staying at the Four Seasons in NY and the George V in Paris. It's still constant travel, constant jetlag, constant arriving, departing, getting settled just to leave a few days later.

It definitely takes its toll. And the season is longer now than it used to be. The grind is harder. And the players feel the effects, both on the court and off. That's why someone like Maria Sharapova isn't playing as many tournaments.

The season needs to be shortened, and the ranking system needs to be changed. Too many good, young players are getting ground up and thrown aside, due to both mental and physical stress.

thanks for writing a lengthy post telling us something we didn't know already and which hasn't been said almost word for word hundreds of times before.

:wavey:

Michael Pemulis
Sep 29th, 2006, 04:50 PM
can i sign my name to this post as well?

alibaby bullies when he can and whines when he can't, in the name of "protecting" women's tennis players from criticism. Guess what? The players have a public and very well paid job. They are subject to having their performances evaluated. Ever since he came here, this guy has always thought somebody appointed him this board's official guardian and censor. Too bad he doesn't post in Non-Tennis because i'd 'd love to see him trying to control people's political views.

Vogus, what about your previous thread about Jelena Jankovic's turnaround ? Did the board watchers cancel it ?

vogus
Sep 29th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Vogus, what about your previous thread about Jelena Jankovic's turnaround ? Did the board watchers cancel it ?

apparently people in high places got frightened by that thread, maybe it was too close to the truth. It's a shame, because there were a lot of good posts in it from many different people.

Michael Pemulis
Sep 29th, 2006, 05:03 PM
apparently people in high places got frightened by that thread, maybe it was too close to the truth. It's a shame, because there were a lot of good posts in it from many different people.

Vogus, you are scaring me!!! lol You remind me certain guys who fight for human rights.

With regard to your thread, maybe they deleted it 'cause of possible slanderous words.

tterb
Sep 29th, 2006, 05:06 PM

:lol: Harshly-put, but accurate nonetheless. And,this may be rude,but when,I see his posts,I sometimes reflect,on the proper use,of punctation!!and how,used properly,it can make sentences,"coherent"

In all seriousness, though, alibaby, WTA players are as subject to criticism as anybody. Sometimes, yes, people are overly critical, but that's life. Not every criticism is unwarranted or disrespectful as you seem to think. I hope for your sake that you take polite/justified/constructive criticism better in real life than you do on these boards.

rjd1111
Sep 29th, 2006, 05:10 PM
It May not bother too much the lower ranked players who lose early and
have a lot of time to Travel.

But higher ranked players who go deep into the draw and have
a matter of hours to make the next event could have a problem.

Joana
Sep 29th, 2006, 05:16 PM
apparently people in high places got frightened by that thread, maybe it was too close to the truth.

So you think the moderators know that Jelena is doped so they decided to delete the thread? Or someone from WTA intervened to hide the "evidence"?
I'm afraid it's a lot more prosaic than that. :shrug:

vogus
Sep 29th, 2006, 05:46 PM
So you think the moderators know that Jelena is doped so they decided to delete the thread? Or someone from WTA intervened to hide the "evidence"?
I'm afraid it's a lot more prosaic than that. :shrug:

I'm not that conspiratorially minded. But I guess it was just too controversial a topic for somebody who'd rather have the board filled with threads about "which farmyard animal does your fave remind you of?", "which players walk around naked in the locker room?", etc etc. And a complaint from the WTA is not out of the question, it's happened before.

No.1Hingis
Sep 29th, 2006, 05:47 PM
I think you have a point. When Lindsay win a tough match people think she's the greatest fighter out there. When she loses she tanked the match and what brought up makes sense. Also you can't preform at your maximum all of the time either.

100% with you...

I think its crazy.. but It must be their live.. and they should know all factors to play PRO tennis... illness, injuries, tireness, dissapoint performances are the bills and are included into package of being a tennis player.. so .. plus to it.. you are a TOP tennis player.. It sound pretty much weakening.. and when They can reach a timing to get adapt to all changes, surfaces, weathers, times, sooner or later injuries comes into pay all extra job their body did.. I guess at this point of season everybody in the TOP is injured, ill and tired.. for my is pretty understandable!!

NOTE: We have to remember they used to got a check, is a job like others... so they earn $00,000 at least for trip around the world.. so.. maybe is not that bad..

Mileen
Sep 30th, 2006, 12:15 PM
they would get used to it over the years. its second nature

Research has shown we don't get used to it.

Mileen
Sep 30th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Good thread! Coincidentally, a few weeks ago I thought the same.

hingis-seles
Sep 30th, 2006, 12:31 PM
i remember talking about winning back-to-back-to-back titles on three continents. can't remember who - but i thought it waqs amazing.

Martina Hingis in 1997. She won the Australian Open, Toray Pan Pacific Open and Open Gaz de France in consecutive weeks.

Kart
Sep 30th, 2006, 12:42 PM

just a thought....

That doesn't really apply to the top players because most of them only play once every few weeks if we're lucky.

My sympathy is limited.

alibaby
Oct 1st, 2006, 02:03 PM
just a few remarks:

1)some certain posters seem to need personal insulting to get even heard on board here.therefore,i dont want to give them any unneeded space in answering them!its not worth it.
and they know,WHO is meant.no need for names.

2)thx for at least a few people,who brought in some interesting and honest thoughts on the situation.i think,its well worth discussing.

maybe some better coordination by the WTA would help the matter,and as a result,more healthy players.