PDA

View Full Version : Q: What If The Williams Sisters Retired From Playing Tennis??

arslan2660
Sep 29th, 2006, 09:47 AM
What would that do to womens tennis? :confused:

frenchie
Sep 29th, 2006, 09:50 AM
It would be less interesting for sure!

basset
Sep 29th, 2006, 10:11 AM
they hardly play anyway so i think they will not be missed too much..not anymore..

new-york
Sep 29th, 2006, 10:12 AM
two greats leaving is always bleh.

drive-volley
Sep 29th, 2006, 10:15 AM
That would be extremely sad. I would go to the place they would play for the last time & I would serve them a standing ovation.

dreamgoddess099
Sep 29th, 2006, 11:14 AM
they hardly play anyway so i think they will not be missed too much..not anymore..
Yeah, because the popularity of the WTA is at such a high right now it doesn't need two of it's biggest star anymore.

Andy.
Sep 29th, 2006, 11:25 AM
It would be horrible and im not looking foreward to that day, they have brought so much to tennis and have done so much for the womens game, when they do eventually retire the tour will lose that special something that only they brought.

.Andrew.
Sep 29th, 2006, 11:26 AM
It would be horrible and im not looking foreward to that day, they have brought so much to tennis and have done so much for the womens game, when they do eventually retire the tour will lose that special something that only they brought.
:worship: Well said!

saki
Sep 29th, 2006, 11:29 AM
It would be sad (and a shame if they retired early) but retirements happen and the game moves on. The WTA didn't collapse when Steffi retired or when Monica was stabbed, it lost something but then it gained other stars.

MisterMan
Sep 29th, 2006, 11:48 AM
It wouldn't effect it one bit. They're more or less gone already.
If they did it a few years ago, that'd be a different story.
Unfortunately, the ARE gone.

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Sep 29th, 2006, 12:01 PM
then there will always be that what could-of-been sort of feeling

Lunaris
Sep 29th, 2006, 12:06 PM
And their fans will be very disappointed. Nothing more.

arslan2660
Sep 29th, 2006, 12:42 PM
It wouldn't effect it one bit. They're more or less gone already.
If they did it a few years ago, that'd be a different story.
Unfortunately, the ARE gone.

Are you sur? ARe gone??

thrust
Sep 29th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Tennis will survive very well withoutht them, or anyone else, as it has before. Unless Venus gets a new backhand, I don^t think she will be playing much longer. The negative that the Williams brought to the game is too much power which ruined their bodies and other players, like Justine, who tried to keep up with them. Attempting too much power and the two handed backhand has limited the length of many women^s tennis carrers due to injury.

arslan2660
Sep 29th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Tennis will survive very well withoutht them, or anyone else, as it has before. Unless Venus gets a new backhand, I don^t think she will be playing much longer. The negative that the Williams brought to the game is too much power which ruined their bodies and other players, like Justine, who tried to keep up with them. Attempting too much power and the two handed backhand has limited the length of many women^s tennis carrers due to injury.

Agree

Mother_Marjorie
Sep 29th, 2006, 01:35 PM
It would be sad (and a shame if they retired early) but retirements happen and the game moves on. The WTA didn't collapse when Steffi retired or when Monica was stabbed, it lost something but then it gained other stars.

Enough said.

vwfan
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:18 PM
And their fans will be very disappointed. Nothing more.yet, you seemingly a nonfan are up in a thread talking about how they won't be missed. :lol: hilarious, you people crack me up. :lol:

vwfan
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:22 PM
yeh, because we all want more of those compelling all russian finals. :bounce:

correction: the women didn't bring power to the game, it was already there. what they brought: power + huge serving + athleticism. and the X factor.

tennis will suffer, but when they were winning folks were complaining then too. and to quote V.E.S. Williams "you might be one of them. guess what. i don't care!" :lol:

vwfan
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Enough said.
yes, you said enough in the other thread.

hint: with favs like yours, you should really remember the advice about "glass houses and all."

can we say banana?! :tape:

Lunaris
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:27 PM
yet, you seemingly a nonfan are up in a thread talking about how they won't be missed. :lol: hilarious, you people crack me up. :lol:
I realize that for their fans is very hard to accept the truth. ;)

StarDuvallGrant
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:32 PM
I realize that for their fans is very hard to accept the truth. ;)

Accept the truth that a Williams fan didn't start this thread. Seems like the non-fans are the ones doing all the thinking about the sisters who they claim won't be missed :rolleyes:

vwfan
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:45 PM
I realize that for their fans is very hard to accept the truth. ;)here's some truth: daniela will never win a slam and neither alas will Elena.

sorry, to be so cruel, but you seem to be a fan of "the truth!" :lol:

No.1Hingis
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Nope.. they wont.. they have some more years on the top of tennis.. just was a bad year full of injures.. they will come back .. Hope soon..

arslan2660
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:54 PM
here's some truth: daniela will never win a slam and neither alas will Elena.

:confused:

mandy7
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:56 PM
What would that do to womens tennis? :confused:

nothing
there would just be 2 players less than there are now
when Hingis retired a few years ago
the world didnt stop spinning
so i'm sure tennis would survive without venus and serena
but i don't see it happening, and i don't hope so, so it's irrelevant

vwfan
:confused:well, i'm :confused: by why you're so :confused:

and i'm also :confused: about why you would post your :confused: about a conversation that is between two posters that did not include you.

:help:

Aaron68
As others have said, they are all but retired now.

Serena is 12-4 on the year. Rank: 88
Venus is 12-5. Rank: 54

Neither has won a tournament, or even reached a final all year long.

It looks as though Venus is out for the year, and I don't see that wrist getting better anytime soon. And who knows with Serena?

This isn't a slam against them (though I will admit that I don't like them much), I'm just trying to be honest.

Venus + Serena = 33 matches PLAYED this entire year.
Amelie, Justine, Maria, etc. = 40+ (almost 50) matches WON this year, each.

They each won a ton of tournaments, and Grand Slam titles. For a while there, they were unbeatable. But the future doesn't look too bright for either. And when you are playing in 4-6 tournaments a year, you are pretty much semi-retired.

mandy7
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:57 PM
here's some truth: daniela will never win a slam and neither alas will Elena.

Is it 'you're not a fan of y fave, so i'll bash yours'-day again?
:rolleyes:

vwfan
Sep 29th, 2006, 03:58 PM
:rolleyes:maybe, whose your fav? :lol:

arslan2660
Sep 29th, 2006, 04:00 PM
well, i'm :confused: by why you're so :confused:

and i'm also :confused: about why you would post your :confused: about a conversation that is between two posters that did not include you.

:help:

This :confused: is beacuse I dont get the point. And if I post a :confused: then you should not be :confused:.. Because it's enough for me to be :confused:

- Like the way you post it though :worship:

mandy7
Sep 29th, 2006, 04:01 PM
maybe, whose your fav? :lol:

Can't you read my sig? :p
I'm just here cause some of my friends are.
I don't like tennis.

vwfan
Sep 29th, 2006, 04:01 PM

It looks as though Venus is out for the year, and I don't see that wrist getting better anytime soon. And who knows with Serena?

This isn't a slam against them (though I will admit that I don't like them much), I'm just trying to be honest.

They each won a ton of tournaments, and Grand Slam titles. For a while there, they were unbeatable. But the future doesn't look too bright for either. And when you are playing in 4-6 tournaments a year, you are pretty much semi-retired.thanks for your post.

but is this thread about whether or not Venus and Serena are retired or is this thread about the impact that it would have on the game if they actually did?

just asking? get back to your eloquent argument, now.

arslan2660
Sep 29th, 2006, 04:03 PM
:rolleyes:

I guess ;)

Craigy
Sep 29th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Well it's not gonna happen for now :cool:

vwfan
Sep 29th, 2006, 04:07 PM
This :confused: is beacuse I dont get the point. And if I post a :confused: then you should not be :confused:.. Because it's enough for me to be :confused:

- Like the way you post it though :worship:ok, let me try to explain my point, since you seem to be a struggling though otherwise good guy/girl. my point was in response to a poster who said that venus and serena's fans can't face the truth. implied was that they can't face the truth about their careers because the truth is too painful.

now my retort was to indicate to the poster that if s/he delighted in the truth, i had a few observations about his favs that might be worthy of note: his fav, daniela will never win a slam. that is the truth! his other fav, elena dementieva, who tries but is without a serve will also not win a slam. that, in my view, is also the truth.

got it? ok now. :lol:

vwfan
Sep 29th, 2006, 04:08 PM
I don't like tennis.but yet you are here sharing your wisdom. thanks! :tape:

arslan2660
Sep 29th, 2006, 04:09 PM
ok, let me try to explain my point, since you seem to be a struggling though otherwise good guy/girl. my point was in response to a poster who said that venus and serena's fans can't face the truth. implied was that can't face the truth about their careers was that the truth is too painful.

now my retort was to indicate to the poster that if delighted in the truth, i had a few observations about his favs that might be worthy of note: his fav, daniela will never win a slam. that is the truth! his other fav, elena dementieva, who tries but is without a serve will also not win a slam. that, in my view, is also the truth.

got it? ok now. :lol:

Yes, in YOUR view. But I just think you was trying to attack him in some kind of point.. Lay low!

Aaron68
thanks for your post.

but is this thread about whether or not Venus and Serena are retired or is this thread about the impact that it would have on the game if they actually did?

just asking? get back to your eloquent argument, now.

I smiply meant that the effect of their retirement, should it happen, would be minimal at this point, since they are semi-retired now already.

It's not like Borg retiring at 26 at the top of the game. Or even Steffi, when she walked out a winner, ranked, if I remember correctly, #3 in the world.

arslan2660
I don't like tennis.

like it :)

LH2HBH
Sep 29th, 2006, 04:12 PM
It would definitely be a big blow - but it would be a bigger blow if they were playing week in and week out though, winning titles.

vwfan
Sep 29th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Yes, in YOUR view.Ah yes, the beauty of a discussion board. s/he asserted his truth; i asserted mine.

But I just think you was trying to attack him no, not attack--defend. he hurled the accusation. i countered. ;)

i always come in peace. :lol:

Sally Struthers
Sep 29th, 2006, 04:15 PM
wtaworld would certainly be down for days :lol:

arslan2660
Sep 29th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Ah yes, the beauty of a discussion board. s/he asserted his truth; i asserted mine.

no, not attack--defend. he hurled the accusation. i countered. ;)

i always come in peace. :lol:

Well, I can hear that :tape:

junlee_vee
Sep 29th, 2006, 04:47 PM

They each won a ton of tournaments, and Grand Slam titles. For a while there, they were unbeatable. But the future doesn't look too bright for either. And when you are playing in 4-6 tournaments a year, you are pretty much semi-retired.

Damn, are they not allowed to have shitty years (injuries, slumps, etc.) like every other player in the history of the sport without being labeled as "on their way out"???

miranda_lou
Sep 29th, 2006, 04:55 PM
I smiply meant that the effect of their retirement, should it happen, would be minimal at this point, since they are semi-retired now already.

It's not like Borg retiring at 26 at the top of the game. Or even Steffi, when she walked out a winner, ranked, if I remember correctly, #3 in the world.

vwfan knows exactly what you meant. H/She just wanted to argue because that's what Venus and Serena fans do.:rolleyes:

You are absolutely right . . . V&S are "semi-retired" and so far down in the rankings it would take a miracle (or at least consistent play) to get them back into the top 5. Consistent play seems out of the question at the moment since Serena seems not to care enough:mad: and poor Venus has that bum wrist that doesn't want to heal.:sad:

Hopefully they won't retire any time soon but, if they do decide to call it a day, it won't cause much of a ripple in the tennis world.:rolleyes: As one reporter in Miami pointed out, their pictures are not on the cover of the advertising brochure for the Key Biscayne tournament so, evidently, promoters don't think their names are needed to sell tickets anymore.:lol: (I got the brochure a couple weeks ago and didn't even notice their picture wasn't on the cover.)

RunDown
Sep 29th, 2006, 05:08 PM
I think it's funny how people are saying they won't be missed because they are already "semi-retired." Anyone noticed that all the GS finals have had dismal ratings in the US?

Of course the WTA will go on, but those who say it won't matter are kidding themselves.

junlee_vee
Sep 29th, 2006, 05:16 PM
because that's what Venus and Serena fans do.

I guess I don't need to tell you what this generalization is making you sound like do I? :tape:

Aaron68
Sep 29th, 2006, 05:17 PM
vwfan knows exactly what you meant. H/She just wanted to argue because that's what Venus and Serena fans do.:rolleyes:

You are absolutely right . . . V&S are "semi-retired" and so far down in the rankings it would take a miracle (or at least consistent play) to get them back into the top 5. Consistent play seems out of the question at the moment since Serena seems not to care enough:mad: and poor Venus has that bum wrist that doesn't want to heal.:sad:

Thanks.

And i wasn't trying to be nasty. It just honestly seems like they aren't that much of a factor, and age is certainly not on their side either at this point. Injuries will take longer and longer to heal. It will be harder and harder to stay in shape. Etc.

Who knows? Maybe I will be proven dead wrong, adn they will both rebound next year and take the WTA by storm. I doubt it. But anything is possible.

Veenut
Sep 29th, 2006, 05:19 PM
The popularity of women's tennis will erode even further. There is just no one else presently who is cable of generating as much interest, energy and excitement. Much less attention and focus will be on the women and men's tennis will totally dominate once again.

This board will be like a morgue and the teenagers will have a field day filled with "who's prettier threads".

saki
Sep 29th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Tennis will be just as popular, just in different countries. That's one of the shifts that is almost inevitable now for the WTA. The big money will be in Asia and Eastern Europe, not in the U.S. and not even quite so much in Western Europe.

denisgiann
Sep 29th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Nobody is bigger than the game.Nobody.When they retire the game will survive.As it happens to every sport.

junlee_vee
Sep 29th, 2006, 05:26 PM
The popularity of women's tennis will erode even further. There is just no one else presently who is cable of generating as much interest, energy and excitement. Much less attention and focus will be on the women and men's tennis will totally dominate once again.

This board will be like a morgue and the teenagers will have a field day filled with "who's prettier threads".

:haha:

Aaron68
Sep 29th, 2006, 05:32 PM
I think it's funny how people are saying they won't be missed because they are already "semi-retired." Anyone noticed that all the GS finals have had dismal ratings in the US?

Of course the WTA will go on, but those who say it won't matter are kidding themselves.

Tennis in general is not a big sport, AT ALL, in the US. That's just the way it is. Sure, if there are some Americans doing well, people will tune in. But they aren't tennis fans. They are American fans.

And the fact is, at some point, whether next year or five years from now, the Williams sisters will be retired. And there are few, if any, prospects coming along to make it to the Top-5 and interest American fans.

The same thing will happen to golf viewership when Tiger retires (though that won't be for a long time, barring some horrible injury *knock on wood*). American's don't care about a bunch of people whose names they can't pronounce from countries they can't find on a map. It's the truth.

perseus2006
Sep 29th, 2006, 05:40 PM
The WS will go out like Jen. Never officially retire.

Their "active" status will continue to put food on the table. It can be milked for years. The only losers are the ardent and zealous fans.

drake3781
Sep 29th, 2006, 05:41 PM
marking this for later.

RunDown
Sep 29th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Tennis in general is not a big sport, AT ALL, in the US. That's just the way it is. Sure, if there are some Americans doing well, people will tune in. But they aren't tennis fans. They are American fans.

And the fact is, at some point, whether next year or five years from now, the Williams sisters will be retired. And there are few, if any, prospects coming along to make it to the Top-5 and interest American fans.

The same thing will happen to golf viewership when Tiger retires (though that won't be for a long time, barring some horrible injury *knock on wood*). American's don't care about a bunch of people whose names they can't pronounce from countries they can't find on a map. It's the truth.

So we agree then that it will definitely matter when they retire, just as it has in their "semi-retirement".

And little as a sport as tennis is in the states, the US is still (or at least was :shrug: ) a huge financial market for tennis (if not the biggest).

Aaron68
Sep 29th, 2006, 05:58 PM
So we agree then that it will definitely matter when they retire, just as it has in their "semi-retirement".

And little as a sport as tennis is in the states, the US is still (or at least was :shrug: ) a huge financial market for tennis (if not the biggest).

I think it will matter, but not a lot. Since, they are half-way there already, and as has been poinbted out, they are already getting less coverage.

Tennis will continue to be a big sport where it is already big, and a growing sport where it is already growing. China is a HUGE market, and they are putting tons of resources into the game. Li Na is Top-20. And then the Olympics in 2008.

The US Open will go on. Maria Sharapova will continue to make more money than god, and somewhere, in Krakow, or Provence, or Belgrade, or Slovakia, or Vladivostok a new, exciting, formidable, giantess will emerge and take the game by storm.

And she might be the best thing since Steffi Graf, but Americans still won't be able to pronounce her name, and they still won't care.

Lenafan
Sep 29th, 2006, 06:02 PM
If that happens, there will be some bizarre and unworthy Grand Slam champions in the near future like 2004. Given that Henin is not to be feared on anything but clay anymore and Clijsters sounds like she is retiring and Amelie looks somewhat satisfied with the 2 GS's, I think Sharapova will dominate and Kuznetsova will add another GS title in near future then. Americans will even see even less women's tennis than usual and ESPN2 will sell most of it's rights to Tennis Channel and the Versus ????? channel.

MistyGrey
Sep 29th, 2006, 06:12 PM
There will be tributes, farewells etc. The game will lose two of its biggest names, but after all said and done, the WTA will go on. Just like it did after the retirements of Evert,Navratilova and Graf. Especially now that the Williamses arent exactly the marquee players. It will not be good for the game for sure.. but the game will go on.

afroking
Sep 29th, 2006, 07:02 PM
the day serena and venus retire is the day i sstop watching WTA. they are the only interesting thing about it. IMO probs the best two players to play the game. The have sooo much talent so much power and their fighting spirit is nbelivable. i doubt any player will ever show that much heart on a court. Other player i.e JUstine henin hardenne davenport . are soo boring to watch. The day they retire, is the day the WTA will be forgotten

vwfan
Sep 29th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Thanks.

And i wasn't trying to be nasty. It just honestly seems like they aren't that much of a factor, and age is certainly not on their side either at this point. Injuries will take longer and longer to heal. It will be harder and harder to stay in shape. Etc.

Who knows? Maybe I will be proven dead wrong, adn they will both rebound next year and take the WTA by storm. I doubt it. But anything is possible.Aaron68 and MirandaWho? my point is that whenever Venus and Serena announce their retirement, it will be a sad day for the WTA. The fact that the are "semi-retired" now is irrelevant. You're missing the point. They've already accomplished more than any other active players on tour now.

And, here is the important point. Their impact on the sport transcends the small narrow world of the sport. Even when they are not playing, the millions of others in the world that don't follow tennis as religiously as the two of you, still think that they are on top! They don't know the current crop of players (Maria and 5th Avenue ad machines aside). They know the two little black girls from Compton, California who transformed the tennis establishment with their unconventional approach to the game, their undying sister love and loyalty, brought fashion and funk to the courts, and their unparalleled athletecism.

They will be missed. and this thread as every other thread about either Williams that goes on for upteen pages attests. :cool:

vwfan
Sep 29th, 2006, 07:14 PM

This kid doesn't know exactly what his argument is. Ah well. ;)

davidmario
Sep 29th, 2006, 07:16 PM
This thread has already 5 pages - Doesn't that explain enough?! :wavey:

No Name Face
Sep 29th, 2006, 07:17 PM

always so classy.

:worship:

i've had very few sports role models, but i'd say that i only truly admire the WS, james blake, michael jordan, and andre agassi. the WS inspired me to pick up a racket. seriously. they are good people, i love them, and they will be missed when they retire.

miffedmax
Sep 29th, 2006, 07:17 PM
I would celebrate their accomplishments and miss them. And keep on supporting Lena D.

venus_rulez
Sep 29th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Who cares what any of the haters say when Venus and Serena leave tennis it'll be a sad day, mostly because they changed the face of the game, and countless people who would have never thought of doing so, picked up a racquet for the first time because of them. Of course, the WTA will go on, but that doesn't mean it'll partcularly be interesting.

Lenafan
Sep 29th, 2006, 07:35 PM
The problem is when Martina was winding down her career, Steffi Graf emerged and took the mantel over. When Graf was sill in her prime, Monica Seles emerged. When Graf was winding her career, the Williams sisters were ready to emerge. I just don't see ANYONE who is a worthy replacement to take over the mantel from these 2 in terms of talent and charisma. I will miss Serena a lot even though I wouldn't call myself a hardcore fan of hers. It will flat out suck. It sucks right now with their semi-retirement.

Kart
Sep 29th, 2006, 07:38 PM
That would be extremely sad. I would go to the place they would play for the last time & I would serve them a standing ovation.

That's a very nice thing to say :).

To answer this thread: some people don't know a good thing until it's gone.

It's pretty short sighted if you can't see past a dislike for them or their fans to recognise them as the quality players they both are.

Not that I see either of them going anywhere at the moment.

arslan2660
Sep 29th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Who cares what any of the haters say when Venus and Serena leave tennis it'll be a sad day, mostly because they changed the face of the game, and countless people who would have never thought of doing so, picked up a racquet for the first time because of them. Of course, the WTA will go on, but that doesn't mean it'll partcularly be interesting.

I totally agree!

borisy
Sep 29th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Maybe it will impact the popularity of WTA in America and not so much in other parts of the world.

They will start appearing more on TV shows.

There will be endless polls about whether they will return.

There will be less polls about whether they will ever win another slam.

One day they will be inducted into Tennis Hall of Fame.

And they will be remembered as the most successful tennis siblings ever until (and if) one day two siblings achieve more.

arslan2660
Sep 30th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Maybe it will impact the popularity of WTA in America and not so much in other parts of the world.

They will start appearing more on TV shows.

There will be endless polls about whether they will return.

There will be less polls about whether they will ever win another slam.

One day they will be inducted into Tennis Hall of Fame.

And they will be remembered as the most successful tennis siblings ever until (and if) one day two siblings achieve more.

I agree on that!

jochem
Sep 30th, 2006, 11:06 AM
I would find it weird if Vee and Rena decided to retire because they don't want to ruin their bodies any further just like Kim, while the far more fragile Justine keeps on going for a couple of more years winning Slams... I really see Venus, Serena, Kim, Lindsay, Mary, Anastasia all gone in two years time and Amelie and Martina won't stay here much longer than them I think... Justine will keep on going for let's say four more years I guess dominating the Tour with Maria, Svetlana and maybe some teen stars...