PDA

View Full Version : The "Where Are They?" Thread

jamatthews
Sep 27th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Claire Curran hasn't played since Wimbledon, I know she's really struggled since making the final of Canberra but she can't have retired surely. Is she injured?

Michaela Ince hasn't played since Rohampton. She only took 1 game there so was she injured?

Also not quite as major as the others, but Amanda Cunningham said she was going to try and get her ITF junior ranking up after winning the U16 Nationals, but there hasn't been any sign of that yet. :confused:

Monica_Rules
Sep 27th, 2006, 01:26 PM
I was watching Claire mixed doubles 2nd round at wimbledon and she seemed to have imjured her back there maybe its still a problem.

Michaela and Amanda are probably in training before playing some junior events this autumn. but are possibly injured.

jamatthews
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Amanda Cunningham is on the entry list for a G3 event in Sweden at the start of next year.

Monica_Rules
Dec 18th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Yeah i saw that. Hopefully shes just been working on her game.

polly
Feb 7th, 2007, 11:11 PM
i was wondering where did claire peterzan go to, i think she hasnt played since last november, i hope she hasnt given up or seriously injured:sad:

Monica_Rules
Feb 8th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Given up sounds about right, last year was a horrible year for her.

paul_masterton
Feb 8th, 2007, 02:08 PM
lets make this a bit more old school. where are:

Lyndsay Reilly - was out a couple of years ago waiting for knee surgery, presume she's had it now. Is she coming back?

Natalie Neri - got up to the 650' then hurt her back and fell away. Not planning on returning

Chantal Coombs - retired due to injury

Kelly Simkin - ?

Megan Emmet - ?

Katherine Laidler - ?

Lisa Quiller - ?

Nicola Payne - ?

Nicola Trinder - ?

Europe rocks
Feb 8th, 2007, 10:18 PM
So many of our girls get injured and just disappear. Why can't we produce more injury resistant players?

Monica_Rules
Feb 9th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Nicola Trinder went to uni didn't she?

WIMBY
Mar 30th, 2007, 10:20 AM
lets make this a bit more old school. where are:

Lyndsay Reilly - was out a couple of years ago waiting for knee surgery, presume she's had it now. Is she coming back?

Natalie Neri - got up to the 650' then hurt her back and fell away. Not planning on returning

Chantal Coombs - retired due to injury

Kelly Simkin - ?

Megan Emmet - ?

Katherine Laidler - ?

Lisa Quiller - ?

Nicola Payne - ?

Nicola Trinder - ?

Katherine Laidler - went to Loughborough uni still plays NCL matches
Samantha Murray, Georgia Rose, Hannah Grady, Nicola Allen all at uni in the States

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:21 PM
looks like Alice MacKenzie now gone into coaching too, she's got Terriers Tennis Coaching in Huddersfield.
(not sure of exact name)

Mforensic
Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:21 PM
Most of the girls get bad results or injured and leave the game for school, coaching or something else. Very few have the guts to hang in there

Europe rocks
Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:11 PM
Well, why hang in there when quite a few of the girls have got A levels to fall back on or go off to uni, which should provide them with a career which offers a regular income and you don't have to spend money flying all over the world and time training and so on. It's so much easier to be successful outside the world of sport in this country. If you look at a lot of the foreign girls, like Vaidisova and co, they all did their studies whilst on tour, whereas most of our girls only played a little bit or waited until they ended their studies

JAMESYBABY!
Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:12 PM
i know tht claire curran has retired to do coaching,,,

there was an lta artical about her,,,,

i wanna know were woolley is and claire peterzan is :sad:

JAMESYBABY!
Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:17 PM
last tounie samantha murray played,, she did very well init,,,

lets hope uni does help these girls,, i remeber tht sarah borwell did uni,, and she said it was very tough, eaither work hard untill ur sick ,, or give up,, i remeber this was in a article of some place

i hope it works for our girls:D

WIMBY
Feb 23rd, 2008, 10:28 PM
Claire & Laura both at Uni now

*hingis_forever*
Jan 31st, 2009, 07:27 AM
I thought I'd bump this thread because I was wondering about a couple of them. Whatever happened to Rebecca Dandeniya and Francesca Flavell?

I remember Rebecca won a $10K in Africa a few years back and was close to a top 500 ranking and just stopped.

Also, with Francesca, I know she was a decent junior (she's Katie and Mel's age) and seemed to be a pretty good prospect.

I found this article where Jane O'donoghue mentions herself, Bally, Anne, Anna Hawkins, and Francesca as the future of British tennis:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/3030219/Wimbledon-diary-Repair-work-needed-as-cracks-appear.html

Monica_Rules
Jan 31st, 2009, 09:01 PM
Jane only mentions Anna Hawkins cos they were friends. Having seen Anna play she was never going to be a big player. She was very hit and miss in singles. I don't even remember Francesca Flavell.

Players who i watched and thought were decent prospect were Hannah Grady, Laura Peterzan and Holly Bagshaw.

I remember Nicola Allen was a very promising junior at age 15 but had to give up because of injury/illness.

*hingis_forever*
Jan 31st, 2009, 10:40 PM
Yeah, it's sad to see that Hannah and Laura didn't decide to keep playing pro and instead went to US college. They were both pretty impressive. I neverr really thought much of Holly Bagshaw and I don't really remember Nicola Allan.

WIMBY
Feb 2nd, 2009, 03:14 PM
I thought I'd bump this thread because I was wondering about a couple of them. Whatever happened to Rebecca Dandeniya and Francesca Flavell?

I remember Rebecca won a $10K in Africa a few years back and was close to a top 500 ranking and just stopped.

Also, with Francesca, I know she was a decent junior (she's Katie and Mel's age) and seemed to be a pretty good prospect.

I found this article where Jane O'donoghue mentions herself, Bally, Anne, Anna Hawkins, and Francesca as the future of British tennis:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/3030219/Wimbledon-diary-Repair-work-needed-as-cracks-appear.html

Rebecca is married and was working at Bispham, Francesca went to Uni.

bluepastures
Feb 2nd, 2009, 06:12 PM
If I remember rightly, Holly Bagshaw went to San Diego uni.
Just looking back at my list of matches watched, I can't remember Flavell either, but the only time I saw her play, was at the Nationals (open, not junior) at Bolton Arena back in October 2001, which oddly enough was the first time I saw Mel South play (lost to Luisa Cowper). That weekend was also the 1st time I saw Katie O'Brien play (lost to Becky Llewellyn)

WIMBY
Feb 2nd, 2009, 08:28 PM
Helen Fritch - married

*hingis_forever*
Apr 5th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Another question...where is Anisha Rahman? I know she's only young and hasn't really had a "career" but she was one of our best 1995 girls. I just think it's sad when these young girls disappear before they've really started. :sad: