Sep 23rd, 2006, 11:20 AM
Guangzhou International Women's Open
September 25 - October 1
Tier III
Surface Hardcourts

Anna should be the 3rd seed:)

Wintermute
Sep 23rd, 2006, 05:24 PM
Not many points on offer here so Anna needs to go deep into this tourny to make it worthwhile swapping Luxembourg for this.

CarlosTevez
Sep 23rd, 2006, 06:10 PM
Has Anna Withdrawn from this tournament ? Just looked at the draw and I can't find her name in there. The top 4 seeds are : 1) Zvonareva, 2) Peng, 3) Li & 4) Kirilenko.

CarlosTevez
Sep 23rd, 2006, 06:12 PM
Oops. Just looked again. It was last years draw i was looking at :smash:

Wintermute
Sep 23rd, 2006, 07:14 PM
Has Anna Withdrawn from this tournament ?

You'd be forgiven for thinking so looking at the player profiles (http://www.gzopen.com.cn/eng/qiuxingfengcai.asp). Lourdes Dominguez Lino is on twice and Anna's profile comes up if you click on the first Lourdes. :o Her name was actually on the other day with a picture of Martina Hingis above it. :tape:

~|Naomi|~
Sep 24th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Singles md - imo Anna is in tougher half but Anna can do it.

(1)Jelena Jankovic (SCG) v Meng Yuan (CHN)
Shuai Peng (CHN) v Yulia Beygelzimer (UKR)
Vania King (USA) v Alicia Molik (AUS)
Anne Keothavong (GBR) v (5)Lourdes Dominguez-Lino (ESP)

(3)Anna Chakvetadze (RUS) v (wc)Shuai Zhang (CHN)
Q/LL v Q/LL
Olga Poutchkova (RUS) v Zi Yan (CHN)
Jelena Kostanic (CRO) v (6)Meghann Shaughnessy (USA)

(8)Anastasiya Yakimova (BLR) v Q/LL
Melinda Czink (HUN) v (wc)Yanchong Chen (CHN)
Q/LL v Maria Jose Martinez-Sanchez (ESP)
Alina Jidkova (RUS) v (4)Anabel Medina-Garrigues (ESP)

(7)Elena Vesnina (RUS) v Kaia Kanepi (EST)
Tzipora Obziler (ISR) v Aniko Kapros (HUN)
TianTian Sun (CHN) v (wc)Ting Li (Sr) (CHN)
Galina Voskoboeva (RUS) v (2)Na Li (CHN)

Doubles md

1 Medina Garrigues/yan vs. Hao/Xie
(wc)Dong/Shao vs. Q Huang/Jia
(4) Dominguez Lino/Martinez Sanchez vs. King/Kostanic
Chen/Song vs. Chakvetadze/Vesnina

Ji,Chunmei/Sun,Shengnan vs. Chan,Chinwei/Yakimova,Anastasiya
Molik,Alicia/Shaughnessy,Meghann vs. (3)Jankovic,Jelena/LI na
Jidkova,Alina/Voskovoeva,Galina vs. Ren,Jing/zhang,Shuai
Kilsdonk,Kim/Tamaela,Elise vs. (2)li,Ting(sr.)/Sun,Tiantian

selyoink
Sep 24th, 2006, 04:11 PM
I hope Anna can do well. Elena too.

Wintermute
Sep 24th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Anna's draw looks very nice to me. She has a big opportunity here.

Here's the situation points-wise at Guangzhou (Tier III $175k).

1st round......1
2nd round.....16
Quarterfinal..30
Semifinal.....55
Runner-up.....85
Winner.......120

This week Anna is defending 25 points which she won at Luxembourg last year. This means she has to reach at least the QFs (and she really should). As of Monday she needs an extra 150 points to reach the Top 20 and she has to get them before the Aussie Open as she has nothing more to defend until then. A good run here will certainly help her cause.

First round is wildcard Shuai Zhang who has won several $10k and $25k hardcourt events in Asia this year. However the majority of her opponents in those events were ranked 300 and below so playing Anna should be a new experience for her.

TennisPlayingFox
Sep 24th, 2006, 06:37 PM
A very easy draw for Anna! Until the semis that is. Good luck Anna!

doris_hdz
Sep 24th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Good luck Anna!:yeah:

Pink Princess
Sep 25th, 2006, 04:39 AM
Obviously be able to obtain the first one for it!

NyCPsU
Sep 25th, 2006, 07:41 AM
good luck anna!! :bounce:
megs could be tough in the quarters, but at least get there!! :D

~|Naomi|~
Sep 26th, 2006, 02:39 AM
Tuesday OOP

Court 4 (from 14.30hrs)
1. Yakimova vs. S.Sun
2. Chen/Song vs. Chakvetadze/Vesnina (NB 16.00hrs)

~|Naomi|~
Sep 26th, 2006, 02:00 PM
They lost 2-6 6-3 2-6:o

Wintermute
Sep 26th, 2006, 05:22 PM
:o Wow, that sucks pretty bad! Chen and Song are ranked outside 500 in doubles.

Chaky and Lena have to do well in singles now to make up for it. ;)

Pink Princess
Sep 26th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Centre Court (from 15.00hrs)
1. Chakvetadze vs. Zhang
2. Peng vs. Beygelzimer
3. Poutchkova vs. Yan (NB 18.30hrs)
4. Molik/Shaughnessy vs. Jankovic/N.Li

Yay Go Anna!!!!!!!

DokicForever
Sep 26th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Good luck Anna!

~|Naomi|~
Sep 27th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Anna won 3-6 7-5 6-0

TennisPlayingFox
Sep 27th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Alot tougher than I expected! Nice 3rd set though Anna! good luck in round 2!

Wintermute
Sep 27th, 2006, 06:08 PM
I think Anna has been tired at the beginning of this week and it took her some time to get into this match. When she finally did she proved her class and got the bagel to finish. :)

Zhang has played extremely well on Chinese hardcourts this year (albeit at a lower tier) so it's no surprise that it was tough going at the start. Anna should've still won in straights though. :p

Next up is Elise Tamaela, the top-ranked qualifier. Elise destroyed her competition in qualies and has already won three matches in straight sets to get to this stage. Anna should have too much for her however.

Wintermute
Sep 27th, 2006, 06:11 PM
Naomi - it looks like everyone's still posting in the cheering thread. :shrug:

~|Naomi|~
Sep 28th, 2006, 03:21 AM
Naomi - it looks like everyone's still posting in the cheering thread. :shrug:

I know:sad: It is dissappointing, I saw your post in there to show them this thread. It isn't that I don't like having a cheering thread - I do, but I like different threads for tournaments. Actually this thread has done better than I thought it would:o So maybe if we did one for Moscow in a couple of weeks it might catch on - or am I being overly optimistic??:p

~|Naomi|~
Sep 28th, 2006, 03:28 AM
I think Anna has been tired at the beginning of this week and it took her some time to get into this match. When she finally did she proved her class and got the bagel to finish. :)

I agree, she would have been tired. Hopefully she can get in to the event now.
I don't know anything about Tamaela, so don't know what to expect.
Good Luck Anna:)

selyoink
Sep 28th, 2006, 04:49 AM
I agree, she would have been tired. Hopefully she can get in to the event now.
I don't know anything about Tamaela, so don't know what to expect.
Good Luck Anna:)

I don't know anything about Tamaela either. But I do expect a win.

~|Naomi|~
Sep 28th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Anna won 6-2 6-7 6-3:)

Pretty tough, but a win is a win.

TennisPlayingFox
Sep 28th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Good win Anna! good luck in the quarter finals!

Wintermute
Sep 28th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Anna won 6-2 6-7 6-3:)

Does anyone know if Anna had a match point in the second set? This match really should have been over in two. I think Anna's experience at top level and her overall fitness are now helping her to pull out wins when she isn't playing her best.

But I'm kinda nervous about the next match. She plays Olga Poutchkova who is on fire at the moment. I don't know much about her game (perhaps someone could enlighten me) but she reached the final in Kolkata last week and beat Ana Ivanovic in Bali. I think on current form she's a tougher QF proposition than Shaughnessy would have been.

Good news: Anna's win today means she has now successfully defended all her ranking points until the Aussie Open next year. Anything more she earns between now and then goes towards pushing her ranking into the Top 20. :D Winning some more rounds in Guangzhou would certainly help!

Wintermute
Sep 28th, 2006, 06:01 PM
It isn't that I don't like having a cheering thread - I do, but I like different threads for tournaments.

Yeah it works really well in Dani's forum. I think it's slow to catch on because most of the other Russian players have their cheering threads outside the forums for some reason. So for people who post in Russian Roulette regularly it's more normal to post in the Fan Club thread.

So maybe if we did one for Moscow in a couple of weeks it might catch on - or am I being overly optimistic??:p

Just call it Moscow Cheering Thread in block capitals - that'll draw attention. :p

selyoink
Sep 28th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Another much tougher match than I thought. Seems on Anna is not in great form at the moment. But she is finding ways to win which is good.

~|Naomi|~
Sep 29th, 2006, 06:15 AM
Good news: Anna's win today means she has now successfully defended all her ranking points until the Aussie Open next year. Anything more she earns between now and then goes towards pushing her ranking into the Top 20. :D Winning some more rounds in Guangzhou would certainly help!

Good news:) & even at AO she doesn't have much to defend.

~|Naomi|~
Sep 29th, 2006, 06:19 AM
Just call it Moscow Cheering Thread in block capitals - that'll draw attention. :p

:lol: That's what I'll do

Wintermute
Sep 29th, 2006, 05:17 PM
[3] Anna Chakvetadze (RUS) def. Olga Poutchkova (RUS) 7-6(3) 3-6 6-1

:worship:

Anna toughed out another great win over a very in-form player! Next is Jankovic who is also in good form and has won her matches here in straight sets, unlike Anna who's had three-setters all the way. :scared:

Keep it going Chaky! :yeah:

selyoink
Sep 29th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Keep on winning Anna.

Wintermute
Sep 29th, 2006, 07:59 PM
QF Wrap (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/newsroom/?contentid=842)

Chakvetadze, the No.3 seed, outlasted her fellow young Russian Olga Poutchkova, 76(3) 36 61.

"I played pretty well in the first and third sets and kind of lost my concentration in the second," said Chakvetadze, who is 3-1 lifetime against Jankovic. "Against Jankovic I will have to be at the top of my game because she's really fit, and has been playing unbelievable lately. I'll have to hold serve, and break her whenever I can. It should be a good match and I'm looking forward to it."

~|Naomi|~
Sep 30th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Good luck against Jankovic:)

~|Naomi|~
Sep 30th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Anna is in the final. Jankovic retired. 7-5 2-0 ret.
Anna was 4-0 in the first set and served for it at 5-4 before finally closing it out.
Good Luck in the final.

the cat
Sep 30th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Congrats to Anna for beating an in form Jankovic. It doesn't matter that Jelena retired. I hope she's not seriously injured. But the main point is that Anna is in the final. :)

selyoink
Sep 30th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Not the way I wanted Anna to win but I'm extremely happy nonetheless. So close to her first title now. She better do it!

TennisPlayingFox
Sep 30th, 2006, 05:17 PM
I'm glad your in the final Anna! Good luck against Anabel! You can do it!

DokicForever
Sep 30th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Good luck Anna!!!

Wintermute
Sep 30th, 2006, 07:07 PM
It's a shame Jelena was forced to retire; but Anna was winning the match and that's the main thing. I'm so pleased for her. :D She has a really great shot at this, her first ever WTA title!

Anna, Anabel Clash For Title (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/newsroom/?contentid=849)

GUANGZHOU, China - One will feel right at home while one will be navigating uncharted territory, as Spain's Anabel Medina Garrigues faces Russian teenager Anna Chakvetadze in the 2006 Guangzhou International Women's Open singles final on Sunday.

[...]

Taking the spot opposite [Medina Garrigues] Sunday will be the young Chakvetadze, seeded No.3 this week. Chakvetadze advanced to her first Tour singles final after top seed Jelena Jankovic was forced to retire with heat illness trailing 75 20. Jankovic has been one of the hottest players on the circuit in recent months, but the heat finally caught up to her, and albeit in abnormal circumstances, Chakvetadze improved her head-to-head in their series to 4-1.

"I'm really excited to be in my first Sony Ericsson WTA Tour singles final," said the Russian teenager, a three-time semifinalist previously. "It was not the way I'd have preferred to arrive there, but I am here, so I hope to win my first title. I think I was playing very well today although I know Jelena was having problems. I felt I had a good game and I look forward to Sunday's final."

Although Medina Garrigues comes into the final with a more grandiose wealth of experience, Chakvetadze definitely holds the head-to-head advantage. She has won all three of her previous meetings with the Spaniard, all in straight sets no less, including a 2-0 mark this year, at Berlin (63 64) and Los Angeles (64 63).

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/3/global/photogallery/guangzhou/f_21.jpg

Anabel also had to play doubles on Saturday so with Anya having had a much shorter singles match she should be the fresher going into the final.

Best of luck Anya! :yeah:

doris_hdz
Sep 30th, 2006, 08:57 PM
g0 Anna..!!!!!:bounce:

NyCPsU
Sep 30th, 2006, 11:26 PM
good luck anna! please win your first title and your gonna be in the top 20 in no time! :bounce:

and even though jelena retired she proved she could play with a very in form opponent!!

~|Naomi|~
Oct 1st, 2006, 03:20 AM
Anna is 2-0 this year against Medina. But this is a final and Medina knows how to win them, this is Anna's first so it is a new experience. The record is good for Anna though so hopefully it gives her confidence & helps with the nerves.

NyCPsU
Oct 1st, 2006, 08:38 AM
yea, she just beat amg recently in montreal or sometime around then didnt she? i hope she can pull it out!!

BUBI
Oct 1st, 2006, 09:25 AM
Anna won first set 6-1 :bounce:

~|Naomi|~
Oct 1st, 2006, 10:23 AM
Anna won 6-1 6-4:bounce:

~|Naomi|~
Oct 1st, 2006, 10:24 AM
First time I made a tournament thread for Anna & she won her first singles title:worship: Will have to keep making the tournament threads yeah;) :p

Wintermute
[3] Chakvetadze bt. [4] Medina Garrigues 6-1 6-4

:woohoo: :worship::bounce::bounce::bounce: :worship::woohoo:

:hug::bowdown::dance::banana::kiss:

BUBI
:woohoo: Now I want a picture of her with the trophy in my avatar :bounce:

Wintermute
Oct 1st, 2006, 10:25 AM
First time I made a tournament thread for Anna & she won her first singles title:worship: Will have to keep making the tournament threads yeah;) :p

You are a good luck charm. :D :hug: ;)

smokovec
Oct 1st, 2006, 10:28 AM
First Title for Anna! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

pigwave
Oct 1st, 2006, 10:29 AM
oh congrats!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

~|Naomi|~
Oct 1st, 2006, 10:30 AM
You are a good luck charm. :D :hug: ;)

So are you, you did a lot of work to let people know about the thread and 'promote' it:)

Taking next week off is good for Anna she can now rest before Kremlin Cup and give herself a great chance of doing well in front of her home crowd:)

Wintermute
Oct 1st, 2006, 10:33 AM
With this win Anna makes a career high ranking of #23.

She is now only 55 points outside the Top 20. :)

Proust
Oct 1st, 2006, 10:34 AM
First title!
Good job Anna :D

Pink Princess
Oct 1st, 2006, 10:53 AM
Chaky obtains the first one!!!:worship: :worship: :worship:

ANNA! :kiss: :hearts: :smooch:

:bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap:

georgekuo1017
Oct 1st, 2006, 12:01 PM
congrats

KV
Oct 1st, 2006, 12:05 PM
First title :bounce:

BUBI
Oct 1st, 2006, 12:27 PM
Who likes my avatar??? :bounce:

DokicForever
Oct 1st, 2006, 01:46 PM

I love your avatar :bounce:

Wintermute
Oct 1st, 2006, 01:48 PM

:D But you beat me to it!

I'd like video of the final and/or presentation. And more photos of course.

selyoink
Oct 1st, 2006, 03:50 PM
A wonderful week for Anna!

TennisPlayingFox
Oct 1st, 2006, 04:51 PM
Awesome Anna! Way to go! Happy to see you get your first title!

doris_hdz
Oct 1st, 2006, 08:18 PM
First Title for Anna..congrat!!!:woohoo::clap2::bounce:

Wintermute
Oct 1st, 2006, 08:27 PM
Chakvetadze Wins Maiden Title in Guangzhou (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/newsroom/?contentid=851)

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/global/library/200x250/PA010090.JPG
GUANGZHOU, China - After reaching the semifinals at several high-profile events and notching a cluster of victories against the game's elite, she was being touted as one of the next big things in the women's game. But this past week in Guangzhou, Anna Chakvetadze finally placed herself at the forefront of the young Russian movement, winning her first ever Sony Ericsson WTA Tour title in Guangzhou, capping the run with a 61 64 win over Anabel Medina Garrigues.

Chakvetadze, the No.3 seed at the Tier III event, was navigating uncharted territory by even reaching the final, where she was facing an opponent who already had six titles to her name. But her unblemished head-to-head against Medina Garrigues, which included straight set wins in all three of their previous encounters, was kept intact on Sunday. Chakvetadze belted the ball with conviction and accuracy throughout the one-hour, 35-minute affair, dominating the Spaniard in the first set and holding her off in the second for her career-first Tour title.

"I knew I had to be really aggressive today, and it worked," said Chakvetadze, who has still never been pushed beyond 6-4 in a set against Medina Garrigues. "Maybe the score looked easy but it was a very difficult match. She is a top player and it was not easy to beat her. I just took my chances and fortunately I came out on top today."

Towards the end of the match, it seemed as though Medina Garrigues was finding her range and hanging tough with Chakvetadze, mixing in a larger variety of pace and spins to bring a halt to the momentum. But even a rain delay didn't phase the Russian from attaining her goal.

"When the rain started, I wanted to keep playing but she wanted to stop; I just felt like I didn't want to lose the momentum," Chakvetadze said. "In the end the rain stopped after only a few minutes so fortunately we were able to continue and I managed to win in straight sets."

Although the rankings have become increasingly populated with young, up-and-coming Russians, Chakvetadze is one of only two teenagers from her nation this year to stand in the winner's circle at a Sony Ericsson WTA Tour singles event, joining fellow 19-year-old Maria Sharapova, who has made title runs this year at Indian Wells, San Diego and, of course, at the US Open. Needless to say, Chakvetadze was excited to be in such exclusive company.

"I am so happy to win my first Sony Ericsson WTA Tour title," Chakvetadze added. "I have been working and hoping for this for a long time."

Medina Garrigues fell to 6-3 lifetime in Tour singles finals with the loss. The Spaniard has been one of the few multiple titlists this year, winning Tier IV tournaments at Canberra and Palermo, and was searching for her second Tier III title, having won in Strasbourg last year. But perhaps her marathon semifinal win over Tzipora Obziler caught up with her in the final.

"I was really tired from the three hour match yesterday," said the Spaniard, who stopped the surprise semifinal run of Israeli veteran Obziler in three tough sets. "Anna also was playing really well. The heat was affecting me and I just felt like she deserved to win today."

Coming in ranked No.26, Chakvetadze is projected to surpass her previous high of No.24 come Monday's rankings, at No.22 or No.23. World No.31 Medina Garrigues will re-enter the Top 30.

andrewbroad
Oct 3rd, 2006, 02:41 AM
====================================
GUANGZHOU INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S OPEN (Guangzhou, China; outdoor hard; WTA Tier III)
==================================== http://www.gzopen.com.cn/ (http://www.gzopen.com.cn/)
Photos
------

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/photogallery/?Event=guangzhou (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/photogallery/?Event=guangzhou)
http://www.gzopen.com.cn/upimg/25/1.asp (http://www.gzopen.com.cn/upimg/25/1.asp) (HQs)
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=236270&page=8 (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=236270&page=8)

Animated images (Refresh to repeat animation):
http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=9174656 (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=9174656)

------------
Early rounds
------------

ANNA CHAKVETADZE [3]:
1r + Zhang,Shuai [WC], 3-6 7-5 6-0
2r + Elise Tamaela [Q], 6-2 6-7 (6/8) 6-3

Not the kind of results that suggested Anna would go on to take the title, with Zhang ranked #209 and Tamaela #141! But these are the matches you have to get through with grit, determination and fighting-spirit, which Anna has in spades.

--------------
Quarter-finals (Friday 29th September)
--------------

+ ANNA CHAKVETADZE [3] d. Olga Poutchkova, 7-6 (7/3) 3-6 6-1

A much more impressive result, because Poutchkova is a rapidly-rising star with an outstanding backhand, and wins over Ana Ivanovic and Iroda Tulyaganova in the last month - the latter of which booked a place in the Kolkata final.

I didn't expect Anna to win this match, so it was nice to be proved wrong! ;)

Anna quotes
-----------

"I played pretty well in the first and third sets, and kind of lost my concentration in the second.

"Against Jankovic, I will have to be at the top of my game because she's really fit, and has been playing unbelievable lately. I'll have to hold serve, and break her whenever I can. It should be a good match, and I'm looking forward to it."

-----------
Semi-finals (Saturday 30th September)
-----------

+ ANNA CHAKVETADZE [3] d. JELENA JANKOVIC [1], 7-5 2-0 retired (heat-illness)

Apparently, the temperature was above 32°C, which is the hottest temperature I've ever experienced here in England - you just want to take your skin off, let alone your clothes!

I must admit this was a lucky break for Anna, as Jankovic has been in excellent form recently - particularly at the US Open, where she upset Nicole Vaidišová, Svetlana Kuznetsova and Elena Dementieva back to back, then almost beat Justine Henin-Hardenne to reach the final!

But Anna was already dominating her head-to-head against Jankovic 3-1 (the only loss coming in 1r Wimbledon 2005). It's just a shame that she had to reach her first-ever WTA Tour singles-final this way, without the treasured moment of closing out the match properly.

But, like Maria Kirilenko at Beijing 2005, she proved herself a worthy finalist by winning the title.

Anna quotes
-----------

"I'm really excited to be in my first WTA Tour singles-final. It was not the way I'd have preferred to arrive there, but I am here, so I hope to win my first title.

"I think I was playing very well today, although I know Jelena was having problems. I felt I had a good game, and I look forward to Sunday's final."

-----
Final (Sunday 1st October)
-----

+ ANNA CHAKVETADZE [3] d. ANABEL MEDINA GARRIGUES [4], 6-1 6-4

Medina Garrigues came into the match with six WTA singles-titles in her career (two in 2006), while Anna was still seeking her first.

But Anna extended her perfect head-to-head against Medina Garrigues to 4-0 (3 in 2006) - all in straight sets, none closer than 6-4.

And she joins the great Maria Sharapova (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/shara/) as the only Russian teenagers to win WTA singles-titles in 2006. As a matter of fact, in watching my tennis-videos I'm up to their French Open 2005 (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/shara/french_open2005.html) third-round match right now. Anna was so cute that day that I couldn't take my eyes off her - even in the magnetic presence of Maria! ;)

That match was a 6-1 6-4 loss for Anna. She's a much better player this year, judging by what I saw of her at Birmingham and Eastbourne - now with flairsome power on her groundstrokes. She's currently my favourite player outside my Eternal Fanship, and may well be the next player to be inducted into it if she keeps improving - and proving - her tennis-qualities.

www.wtatour.com (http://www.wtatour.com): "Chakvetadze belted the ball with conviction and accuracy throughout the one-hour, 35-minute affair, dominating the Spaniard in the first set and holding her off in the second for her first Tour title."

First Set:
CHAKVETADZE *@* *@* 6
MEDINA GARR ___*___ 1

Second Set:
CHAKVETADZE _*@* * * * 6
MEDINA GARR *___* * *_ 4

Serving with a break at 2-1, Anna saved five break-points including 15/40, and held for 3-1. But Medina Garrigues saved two break-points as she held for 2-3. Anna saved four more break-points as she held for 4-2.

Medina Garrigues took a medical time-out after holding for 3-4, and after she held for 4-5 there was a short rain-delay.

Anna serving for the match at 5-4: 0/15, 40/15 (2 CPs), Anna won 6-1 6-4 at 18:18 Chinese time (UTC+8).

Anna quotes
-----------

"I knew I had to be really aggressive today, and it worked. Maybe the score looked easy, but it was a very difficult match. She is a top player and it was not easy to beat her. I just took my chances. Fortunately I came out on top today.

"When the rain started, I wanted to keep playing but she wanted to stop. I just felt like I didn't want to lose the momentum. In the end, the rain stopped after only a few minutes, so fortunately we were able to continue, and I managed to win in straight sets.

"I'm so happy to win my first WTA Tour title. I have been working and hoping for this for a long time."

Medina Garrigues quotes
-----------------------

"I was really tired from the three-hour match yesterday. Anna was playing really well. She deserved to win today."

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/)