PDA

View Full Version : Haarhuis and Kafelnikov capture men's doubles titel

~*Alma*~
Jun 9th, 2002, 04:31 PM
I know this forum is only for the women, but I just wanted to post this. :)
Haarhuis and Kafelnikov won the men's doubles titel at RG!!:D :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Here is an article:

Kafelnikov and Haarhuis capture men's doubles title

Saturday, June 8, 2002

Playing in their first Grand Slam tournament as a team and only second event together this year, the unseeded combination of Yevgeny Kafelnikov and Paul Haarhuis captured the men's doubles crown at Roland Garros on Saturday.

Kafelnikov and Haarhuis defeated reigning Australian Open titlists and No2 seeds Mark Knowles and Daniel Nestor 7-5 6-4 on Court Philippe Chatrier, crushing the pair's hopes of a second consecutive Grand Slam doubles title.

With more Slam doubles experience under their belts, Kafelnikov and Haarhuis played a tactically superior match to their foes today, dominating on serve and controlling play at the net. They played the big points to perfection, forcing Knowles and Nestor to commit too many unforced errors.

It was the third Roland Garros men's doubles title for Haarhuis and Kafelnikov, both having previously won with different partners. Kafelnikov (the 1996 singles winner) won in 1996 and 1997 (with Daniel Vacek). Haarhuis, who has 53 doubles titles to his name, won in 1995 and 1998 (with Jacco Eltingh).

Along with Sweden's Anders Jarryd, Kafelnikov and Haarhuis are now the only players to have won three doubles titles here in the Open Era.

This is Haarhuis' sixth Grand Slam doubles title and Kafelnikov's fourth.

The win completes a magnificent tournament for the Russian and the Dutchman; on the way to the final they had upset No3 seeds Mahesh Bhupathi and Max Mirnyi in the semis, No6 seeds Jonas Bjorkman and Todd Woodbridge (who they'd lost to in the Monte Carlo final) in the quarters and No15 seeds Julien Boutter and Sjeng Schalken in the first round.

Overall, this is the Haarhuis/ Kafelnikov team's fifth event together, their second this year. They played together for the first time in three years at 2002 TMS Monte Carlo. Unseeded, they reached the final, losing to No5 seeds Bjorkman and Woodbridge.

While Haarhuis and Kafelnikov had not played together for three years before 2002 TMS Monte Carlo, they were, in fact, on an eight-match winning streak when they lost to Bjorkman/Woodbridge in the Monte Carlo final. Haarhuis/Kafelnikov's last event before Monte Carlo was 1999 Barcelona, which they won without losing a set all week.

http://www.rolandgarros.org/images/pics/large/bv_19_010.jpg

Zamboni
Jun 10th, 2002, 03:33 PM
u know what...I thought Paul&Jacco won more GS titles :o I think I banned all the lost finals against the Woodies out my memory ;)