Monica Gambill vs. [5]Bryanne Applegate

[8]Riana Shamira Zubir vs. Rachel Anne Fleischmann
WC Anne Gambill vs. [2]Marteena Huubere

Doubles Main Draw
[1]Graf/Huubere vs. WC Selles/Yamada-Miyachi
Kroulikova/Liashenko vs. [3]Eggert/Masterton
[4]de la Cal/Sanchez-Connelly vs. WC Fleischmann/Stevenson
Gambill/Gambill vs. [2]Applegate/Zubir

Points are due to Tuesday 4PM NY Time. By PM or e-mail fwtt@hotmail.com specify your player and if your dou bles points are for team or only you. If I dont receive your points by any reason you will get a 0,0,0 (unless you had sent points in Surbiton. Surface is Grass.

Yak
Jun 8th, 2002, 06:35 PM
Anna/Larissa

Tennis124
Jun 8th, 2002, 06:54 PM
Eggert/Masterton

Kris
Jun 8th, 2002, 06:58 PM
I think it will be Graf/Selles or Graf/Huubere

Monica_Rules
Jun 8th, 2002, 07:33 PM
Gambill/Gambill

Alberto
Jun 8th, 2002, 07:39 PM
Candela Sánchez Connelly needs a double partner for this tournamet...:rolleyes:

martinafan
Jun 8th, 2002, 11:37 PM
Would Sabine like to play with Marteena?

Mateo Mathieu
Jun 9th, 2002, 04:23 AM
Applegate/Zubir :)

Kris
Jun 9th, 2002, 09:53 AM
ok Graf/Huubere

Kris
Jun 9th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Grass but Wimbledon Champion 01 Graf did not expect much

Mateo Mathieu
Jun 10th, 2002, 02:30 AM
In Fact: Grass is Tiffani Eggert's favorite surface but she won only one match in three years! :eek:

I expect Bryanne Applegate will made semis and meet Riana Zubir who also too good at Grass. My prediction for the winner is either Bryanne Applegate and Riana Zubir!

Mateo Mathieu
Jun 10th, 2002, 02:55 AM
Deanna Hargraves's Prediction for Birmingham!

First Round:

[1] Sabine Graf def. Maikano Yamada-Miyachi
[7] Monica de la Cal def. Candela Sanchez-Connelly

[6] Paula Masterton def. Anna Kroulikova
WC Shanequa Stevenson def. [4] Larissa Liashenko

Jennifer Selles def. [3] Tiffani Eggert
[5] Bryanne Applegate def. Monica Gambill

[8] Riana Shamira Zubir def. Rachel Anne Fleischmann
WC Anne Gambill def. [2] Marteena Huubere

Quarterfinals:

[7] Monica de la Cal def. [1] Sabine Graf
[6] Paula Masterton def. WC Shanequa Stevenson

[5] Bryanne Applegate def. Jennifer Selles
[8] Riana Shamira Zubir def. WC Anne Gambill

Semifinals:

[7] Monica de la Cal def. [6] Paula Masterton
[5] Bryanne Applegate def. [8] Riana Shamira Zubir

Final:

[5] Bryanne Applegate def. [7] Monica de la Cal

Mateo Mathieu
Jun 10th, 2002, 03:15 AM
http://membres.lycos.fr/jcapriati007/site/2002/berlin/berlin%204.jpg
Bryanne Applegate arrived in England this morning and look brave after split up with her husband, Tobias last week

Tennis124
Jun 10th, 2002, 03:22 AM
yea ok, like bryanne could in a tournament

tiffani may have only 1 win on grass, she still has won a tier 1 event each year of fwtt

Monica_Rules
Jun 10th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Tiffani rocks!

Go tiff:)

Also go the Gambill sisters on home turf:D

Monica_Rules
Jun 10th, 2002, 09:52 PM
GAMBILL SISTERS PREPARE FOR FIRST GRASSCOURT TOURNAMENT

Monica and Anne Gambill have spent all of Monday practacing in Birmingham for the first grasscourt tourny of the year.The pair were practacing together in preperation for their first round matches later on this week.
'This is the first time in a while we have had a chance to practice together and have fun its been serious last week with me winning the mixed doubles and Anne winning the juniors we really had to concentrate'
Monica is looking forward to play in front of a home crowd for the first time this year.
'Its gonna be amazing,they really cheered me on in wimbledon last year as a junior when they had no idea who i was but now i have had great results and won a grandslam so they know me.Maybe thats a bad thing as i will have more pressure on me'
She isn't counting out a bad grasscourt season due to her lifetime record on grass(seniors and juniors) being 2-4'
'Grass is not my best surface but i'm working hard this week to get better on it.I'm working on coming into the net more and serving and vollying but as my strenghs are my groudstrokes i will be staying back for the most part.I have been given a tough draw playing Bryanne who is a great grasscourt player but i did beat her in charlston so i know i can beat her but that was clay'

Anne on the other hand is more confident of her current game
'I'm just gonna blast the ball from the baseline and hit angles.As a junior grass is such a small part of the circuit that i don't see the point in changing my game and coming into the net would just mean me loosing the point as most girls will just whack the ball past me.I won the frenchopen juniors and have been predicted to beat Marteena so i'm up for the challenge hey i have beaten 3 top 10 players alredy'

wilson-dunlop
Jun 10th, 2002, 11:57 PM
Nicoletta Lapentti wishes the best of luck to:

*Larissa Liashenko
*Monica Gambill;)

Kris
Jun 11th, 2002, 07:03 PM
CLAUDIA KOHDE-KILSCH'S PREDICTIONS:

[1]Sabine Graf def. Maikano Yamada-Miyachi
[7]Monica de la Cal def. Candela Sanchez-Connelly

[6]Paula Masterton def. Anna Kroulikova
WC Shanequa Stevenson def. [4]Larissa Liashenko

[3]Tiffani Eggert def. Jennifer Selles
[5]Bryanne Applegate def. Monica Gambill

Rachel Anne Fleischmann def. [8]Riana Shamira Zubir
[2]Marteena Huubere def. WC Anne Gambill

QF:

[1]Sabine Graf def. [7]Monica de la Cal
[6]Paula Masterton def. WC Shanequa Stevenson

[3]Tiffani Eggert def. [5]Bryanne Applegate
[2]Marteena Huubere def. Rachel Anne Fleischmann

SF:

[6]Paula Masterton def. [1]Sabine Graf
[3]Tiffani Eggert def. [2]Marteena Huubere

F:

[3]Tiffani Eggert def. [6]Paula Masterton

Yak
Jun 11th, 2002, 11:16 PM
Anna Kroulikova is SOOOOOOOOOO happy to be back on her favourite surface!!! Last year, she reached the 1/4 finals of Wimbledon before losing to eventual champion Sabine Graf in 3 sets.

Monica_Rules
Jun 12th, 2002, 10:51 AM
Doubles draw?

Alek
Jun 12th, 2002, 07:08 PM
bump/updated

TatiAnnahølic
Jun 12th, 2002, 07:14 PM
Good Luck Candela,Monica and Pula :)

Alek
Jun 12th, 2002, 07:27 PM
There has been heavy rain in Birmingham :(

at the moment we only know one score

[7]Monica de la Cal (ESP) def Candela Sanchez-Connelly (ESP) 6-3 3-6 7-5

The defending champion starts winning.

Alek
Jun 12th, 2002, 07:33 PM
We have other 3 results

Anna Kroulikova (RUS) def. Paula Masterton (GBR) 7-6[2] 6-1

Tiffani Eggert (BEL) def. Jennifer Selles (USA) 6-0 7-5

Marteena Huubere (AUS) def. Anne Gambill (GBR) 4-6 7-6(8) 6-4

Alberto
Jun 12th, 2002, 07:39 PM
Candela...no comments please...:o

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jun 12th, 2002, 08:24 PM
Tiff wins her 2nd match on grass! ;)

Well done! :)

TatiAnnahølic
Jun 12th, 2002, 08:27 PM
Candela :sad:

paul_masterton
Jun 12th, 2002, 08:38 PM
Paula :sad: :fiery:

what the hell is wrong with you?!?!?!

Paul

paul_masterton
Jun 12th, 2002, 08:40 PM
well done Tiff :)

Yak
Jun 12th, 2002, 08:50 PM
http://www.**********************/myskina/IMG_5341.jpg
Anna Kroulikova hits a forehand to Paula Masterton in the 1st round of the DFS classic. Kroulikova beat Masterton in straight sets 7-6(2), 6-1 to advance.

Monica_Rules
Jun 12th, 2002, 09:32 PM
ANNE GAMBILL FIGHTS BUT LOOSES

Anne Gambill wasn't able to find the form which saw her win the junior French Open.Playing on grass in Birmingham Anne played well and fought hard against top 5 player Marteena Huubere which saw her scare the top 10 player by taking a 6-4 5-3 lead but was unable to win the match.
'I played really well but she was too good in the end i has my chances and failed to capatalize on them.In the final set i got tired and she just wipped me off the court after 4-4'

martinafan
Jun 13th, 2002, 01:34 AM
http://members.tripod.com/ankehuber1/wimbledon0125.jpg

Marteena Huubere expresses her disgust with herself after a rally she lost in the first set of her match against Anne Gambill

Mateo Mathieu
Jun 13th, 2002, 06:46 AM
martinafan, I think you should make your own gallery forum at WTAstarz website for posting a pictures of Marteena Huubere ;)

Tennis124
Jun 13th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Eggert reaches Quarterfinals for First Time

Tiffani Eggert defeated Jennifer Selle 6-0, 7-5 in the first round on tuesday at the DFS Classic in Birmingham, England. This is her first win at this event in her third time playing. It is only her second win on grass.

Q: Great win. It seemed like a pretty routine win out there today, is that true?
TE: Well you know nothing in this sport is routine. However, I have played Jennifer about 4 times now and won them all. When you have that kind of head to head match up with someone, you are so confident.

Q: How does it feel to win your first grass match of the year?
TE: It's definitely a relief. I am so glad to have another win on grass. I really love the grass, I just haven't been able to translate that into wins.

Q: Next up , Monica Gambill or Bryanne Applegate, who do you prefer?
TE: hahhaha NEITHER! They are both great players. It may be hard to play Bryanne now that we have history. She and I have never played. Very odd for two players ranked so high. As for Monica, she is real good. We split our two matches this year. But I just lost to her sister last week. I definitely don't like playing that family.

Q: Defending doubles champion, can you repeat?
TE: That's a very tough question. Paula and I have had some good wins together, but been streaky. I can't say how we will do on the grass. Hopefully, we will have a good grass season. I have a lot of doubles points to defend. But who knows. We are playing together til Wimbledon as of now. However, FWTT Survivor may throw a wrench in those plans.

Q: How is that going?
TE: Well it's going great! Lindsay Anne-Sarile has put together a phenominal game. Right now we are down to the final 4 players. And luckily, I won immunity so I have the sole decision to decide who plays the next challenge.

Q: Do you know who you will choose?
TE: Yes.

Q: Who?
TE: haha you will have to wait and see.

Q: Good luck with everything Tiffani!
TE: Thanks!

martinafan
Jun 13th, 2002, 12:51 PM
LOL, i think that's a good idea matthew! :) :) I always forget some pictures won't work here! LOL

Alek
Jun 13th, 2002, 09:16 PM
These matches were played yesterday:

Larissa Liashenko def. Shanequa Stevenson 6/4 4/6 6/4

Riana Zubir def. Rachel Fleischmann 6/3 6/4

Bryanne Applegate def. Monica Gambill 2/6 6/4 6/4

Jippo McScally
Jun 13th, 2002, 10:06 PM
Unlucky Monica!

Mateo Mathieu
Jun 13th, 2002, 10:25 PM
Sweet Revenge for Bryanne! :D

FLL
Jun 13th, 2002, 11:14 PM
Liashenko advances to the 1/4 finals

Reutuers

Larissa Liashenko is getting out of her slump. A slump that started when the clay season debuted. But since the French Open, Liashenko reached the 1/2 finals of Surbiton and is now in the 1/4 finals of the DFS Classic in Birmingham. Yesterday, in the first round of the Classic, Liashenko who is seeded 4th defeated WC junior Shanequa Stevenson 6-4, 4-6, 6-4. Liashenko commented: ''I played quite well today but she was very impressive! I've never heard of her before and I was surprised to be honnest. She has a great grass court game. I had to take the initiative of the points before her or she would blow me off the court. I'm very satisfied with this win''. In the 1/4 finals, Liashenko will take on doubles partner Anna Kroulikova. ''It will be a very tough match. She is a great grasscourter and I know she wants to do well and she has nothing to lose'', said Liashenko.

http://www.**********************/hantuchova/IMG_5264.jpg
Larissa Liashenko during her match against Shanequa Stevenson

Tennis124
Jun 13th, 2002, 11:41 PM
huge match up! would you like to do the honors alex?

Alek
Jun 14th, 2002, 02:24 AM
Singles 2nd Round:

Sabine Graf def. Monica de la Cal 7-6(9) 5-7 6-4

Larissa Liashenko def. Anna Kroulikova 7-5 0-6 6-2

Bryanne Applegate def. Tiffani Eggert 1-6 6-4 6-3

Marteena Huubere def. Riana Zubir 4-6 7-6(3) 7-5

the jamierbelyea
Jun 14th, 2002, 03:11 AM
Could I have a 1R result between Graf and Miyachi? I know Miyachi lost, but I'd like to know the score..

Alek
Jun 14th, 2002, 03:14 AM
:o

Graf bt Miyachi 76(3) 36 64

Alek
Jun 14th, 2002, 03:22 AM
Doubles R1

Selles/Yamada-Miyachi def. Graf/Huubere 7-5 2-6 6-4

Eggert/Masterton def. Kroulikova/Liashenko 7-6(5) 5-7 7-5

de la Cal/Sanchez-Connelly def. Fleischmann/Stevenson 6-4 6-3

Gambill/Gambill def. Applegate/Zubir 6-2 7-6(4)

Tennis124
Jun 14th, 2002, 03:56 AM
Congrats Bryanne, I really thought I would win.

FLL
Jun 14th, 2002, 04:10 AM
Too bad Anna:(

It's ashame that we had to meet this early!!! Plus, we lost a close one to Eggert/Masterton in the doubles:fiery:

Good match Paula/Tiffani;)

FLL
Jun 14th, 2002, 04:15 AM
Next match for Larissa is against Sabine... I think Sabine leads the head-to-head 2-1:confused: Am I right???

Scotso
Jun 14th, 2002, 05:00 AM
Sabine/Marteena lost :o

martinafan
Jun 14th, 2002, 05:44 AM
Marteena apologises to Sabine after her poor performance in doubles. For some reason, I just couldn't really get it going. All the games we lost were because of me, and I am sorry for that :(

Monica_Rules
Jun 14th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Well at least i beat Bryanne in doubles:D

martinafan
Jun 14th, 2002, 02:42 PM
Marteena is delighted to have beaten Riana! :) "Riana has always been a tough opponent. She had my number for a while there, and was leading our head to head 3-1 at one stage. Now with this victory today, it's back to 3-3, so I'm very happy. I don't like having very bad head-to-head records! LOL. Anyhow, to win two matches in a row is very encouraging, especially as they were on my least favourite surface. I hope I can continue my good form for the rest of this tournament and the grass season. I really would like to hold onto my #5 ranking, but Tiffani and Regla are really close right now!"

Ok Bryanne...even though I beat you in our last match at amelia island, i still remember our match at the australian! And I'm not going to forgive you for that!

You're going down!!! :) :) ;) ;) hehe

Monica_Rules
Jun 14th, 2002, 03:00 PM
MONICA GAMBILL OUT IN SINGLES

Monica Gambill lost her first round match to Bryanne Applegate 2-6 6-4 6-4 yesterday in Birmingham but she was happy with her play.
'I played quite well not my best but in the last 2 sets she just played better.I was quite dissapointed to loose as i had a 2-0 head to head against her before this match but this was grass her best and my worst surface.
I've been happy with my practice sessions and its gonna take a few matches for me to get used to grass.Thats what the doubles will be for me practice'

Monica did gain revenge in the doubles beating Appelgate and her partner Zubir 6-2 7-6 with sister Anne

'I think we played a good doubles match we both came to the net a lot and hit good returns i hope we can win a few matches and hopefully a second doubles title at home'

Kris
Jun 14th, 2002, 05:29 PM
GRAF IN DFS CLASSICS SEMIS

http://www.azter.com/graf/g48_small.jpg

Sabine Graf defeated young Maikano Yamada-Miyachi in first round of this year's tournament in Birmigham. The first match on the fast grass court was difficult for both players. Graf had to give her best to win the first set in tiebreak. In the second set Yamada-Miyachi had a wonderful run, she served nearly 80 % and made only 2 unforced errors. Graf lost the set 3-6. In the final set, Graf had more power and won it 6-4. "Maikano is a very talent player, she is someone for the future. I am glad to win my first match after my disappointed clay season. Now I hope to do well in my quaters, too. I will face the defending champion de la Cal."

This was Graf's statement after her first round match on Wednesday. Last year, Wimbledon Champion Graf lost to her German friend Valentine in the quaterfinal of this tournament, but this year, Graf won this match in three tough sets 7-6 5-7 6-4 and will now play against another young and talented player Liashenko. "Larissa beat me this year on a fast surface, so I know she can play fast tennis. I expect an interesting match. At the moment I feel great, I came to Birmingham and I did not expect to be in semis. In doubles I thought Marteena and me will win this one, butwe had both problems with our serve. Better luck next time Marteena. I think our first tournament victory will be soon."

Alek
Jun 14th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Singles SF

Larissa Liashenko def. Sabine Graf 7-5 7-6(7)

Marteena Huubere def. Bryanne Applegate 6-4 7-5

Alek
Jun 14th, 2002, 07:43 PM
Doubles SF

Selles/Yamadaa-Miyachi def. Eggert/Masterton 2-6 7-6(4) 6-3

Gambill/Gambill def. de la Cal/sANCHEZ-Conenlyl 6-4 6-4

Monica_Rules
Jun 14th, 2002, 08:17 PM
GAMBILL/GAMBILL ADVANCE TO FINAL!

Tha Gambill sisters advanced to their first doubles final today with a straight sets win over Monica de la Cal and Candela Sanchez-Connelly.In a fine match of doubles the sisters broke in both sets at 3-2 up to lead 4-2 then held serve to take the first then the second set.
'We played a great match we hit some great shots volleys,lobs and great returns.They are a great team but today i think the crowd got to them cheering for every point we won'said Monica

'It was great to have the home support i hope they turn out tomorrow for the final and cheer us along'added Anne

FLL
Jun 14th, 2002, 10:30 PM
Liashenko to meet Huubere in Birmingham final

Reutuers

What a turnaround in this young girl season. After being the hottest player on the FWTT until March, Larissa Liashenko started one of the biggest slump with 7 losses in 10 match. But now, she seems to be back on track. After a difficult first round match with a junior WC, Liashenko defeated doubles partner Anna Kroulikova 7-5, 0-6, 6-2 to set a clash with world #3 Sabine Graf. Graf who won the 2001 Wimbledon, looked slow and nervous to start the match. Trailing 5-3, Graf won the following 2 games before losing the set 7-5. The second was an awsome display of tennis with both girls attacking and rushing to the net. The final score: Larissa Liashenko def. Sabine Graf 7-5, 7-6(7). In the final, Liashenko will face #2 seed Marteena Huubere.

Yak
Jun 15th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Fact: Both Marteena Huubere and Larissa Liashenko have grass as their least favourite surface to play on!!!

Anyway, one of you will have 103 pts on grass after this tournament:p

Good luck to both.......especially to Larissa!

Monica_Rules
Jun 15th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Good luck to Marteena:D

martinafan
Jun 15th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Good Luck Larissa....i have a feeling that you will come away with the title :( :( :( ;) ;) hehe

Lubidani
Jun 15th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Wow! Good Job Selles and my partner Miyachi

Good luck to us in the finals.

Alek
Jun 15th, 2002, 04:02 PM
Singles Final:

Larissa Liashenko def. Marteena Huubere 7-5 7-6(4)

Doubles Final:

Gambill/Gambill def. Selles/Yamada-Miyachi 6-4 6-3

TatiAnnahølic
Jun 15th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Congrats Gambill sisters and Larisa :)

FLL
Jun 15th, 2002, 05:08 PM
Liashenko wins 3rd title of the year

http://photos.wtastarz.com/data/1dhanpic21.jpg

Trophy presentation comments:

''Oh my god! First, I'd like to thank Marteena for a great match and congratulations for the week you just had! I would also like to thank my coach Larisa who kept beleiving in me even during the hard times. Thank you to my mom who is in the stands. We are all with you and I love you. Last but not least, I'd like to thank the fans for all their support during the week and I look foreward to comming back next year to defend my title! Thank you!''

Monica_Rules
Jun 15th, 2002, 05:23 PM
GAMBILL SISTERS WIN FIRST DOUBLES TITLE TOGETHER!

Monica and Anne Gambill gave the home support something to cheer about today as they won their second doubles title of the year but their first together on the grass in Birmingham.In the final they were domminant as they took the title in just over and hour 6-4 6-3.
'Its great to win our first title together its even better that its at home here.We hope now that we can move on and do well next week in Eastbourne and in Wimbledon'said Monica
'I can't belive we won without dropping a set i mean thats quite shocking but we did play well so we deserve it'added Anne

It was Monicas third doubles title after victories in Bolton,Sarasota and now here.Anne also won her third after Lecce,Estoril and Birmingham.

The pair move on to Eastbourne to continue with their fine form!

Tennis124
Jun 15th, 2002, 05:59 PM
tough luck for marteena and jennifer and maikano :(

martinafan
Jun 16th, 2002, 01:08 AM
Congrats to Larissa - you were too good for me...i was hoping you'd be kind seeing that marteena only has 1 title this year, and you already had 3, but oh well ;) ;) hehe

Congrats again!!!

Mateo Mathieu
Jun 16th, 2002, 04:14 AM
I am back from away for two days! :D

Congratulations, Larissa for win the tournament! :)

FLL
Jun 16th, 2002, 05:13 AM
thanks kkovafan, martinafan and AlexSydney!!!

Tennis124...it isn't hard to see you don't like me:rolleyes:

Kris
Jun 16th, 2002, 07:51 PM
Congrats Larisa, I know, you are a great and talent player!!!