PDA

View Full Version : Avatar......bandwidth......thing.

Cassius
Jun 7th, 2002, 12:42 AM
You said you were shutting off the avatars for a while, with a view to shutting them off permanently.
Something to do with bandwidth or something.
Sorry for asking a dumb question, but:
How would turning off the avatars help?
And what about those little flags by usernames? How much of this 'bandwidth' thing do they 'use up', or whatever.:confused: .

Jarrett
Jun 7th, 2002, 04:33 AM
Everytime an avatar is displayed on one of the threads it is download from the server. Unless it is in your browser's cache. Anyways each time it is downloaded, it takes up bandwidth. Just take the example: if a 100 people used an avatar with the size of 10k that is 1000 K The is almost 1 GB (1024K). I know there are only 100 people using avatars. There are many more. I don't know what host there are using, or even the plan/price there are on. But I have to imagine they go over the allocated bandwidth that comes with the account. That is when most hosts begin to charge for extra bandwidth used. Webhosts can charge as little as $1 per gb or as much as $5 per gb. It can all really add up.

Poe
Jun 7th, 2002, 05:24 AM
Unless it is in your browser's cache

that's actually part of the problem.... vbulletin does not even allow the avatars to be cached.... every single image is transferred every single time somebody views the page.... this is something they're looking at fixing for a future release

btw... 1024k is a mb not a gb ;)

Poe
Jun 7th, 2002, 05:59 AM
And what about those little flags by usernames? How much of this 'bandwidth' thing do they 'use up', or whatever

well your flag for instance is 74 bytes..... turning them off would be barely even noticable

the largest avatars were 16,000 bytes

per4ever
Jun 7th, 2002, 06:12 AM
I just wanted to say that 1024K is a Mb, but Poe already did that ;)

I didn't know that there was no caching possible with vbulletin. It would solve all problems with the avatars I think.. they have to transfer only once and then they stay in the cache for a long time.

I hope they change that soon :)

Jarrett
Jun 7th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Yes, I knew that. I was just typing fast like usual and never go re-read the post.

Jakub
Jun 9th, 2002, 09:41 PM
So is there possibility that we will have our avatars back ??

AjdeNate!
Jun 9th, 2002, 09:48 PM
Is there a possibility that we can use our own avatars on our own webspace? I mean keep my avatar on www.blahblah.com/blah.jpg and just have it displayed on this messageboard? (I probably wouldn't do that anyway, now that I think about it......) -

Jarrett
Jun 15th, 2002, 07:57 PM
Yeah, I saw a hack on vbulletin.org that does what Seles is talking about.

Jennofa
Jun 20th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Is there a possibility that we can use our own avatars on our own webspace

Yes, but external avatars can cause the website to need lots of time to finish loading. Especially if the server with an external avatar is temporary down. That's no solution. I already had that on one of my boards and i had to disable it within a week.!