PDA

View Full Version : Lleyton proposed to Kim at Eiffel Tower rumour!

KaseyL
Jun 6th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Hewitt engaged: report
06jun02

LONDON: World tennis No.1 Lleyton Hewitt is reportedly planning to announce his engagement to Kim Clijsters this weekend.

A report in British newspaper the Daily Mirror said Hewitt, 21, had proposed to the Belgian world No.4 at the top of the Eiffel Tower last week during the French Open in Paris.

Australian television commentator John Alexander may have accidentally broken the news on air earlier this week when he referred to Clijsters as Hewitt's "fiancee".

When cornered by Australian journalists at Roland Garros, Alexander said it was a mistake and just a slip of the tongue.

A spokeswoman from Hewitt's management Octagon denied any knowledge of an engagement.

But today's report, in The Scurra - as in scurrilous - column, quotes a source saying the couple was going to tell their parents on Clijsters' 19th birthday on Saturday.

Rumours of an engagement first surfaced more than a year ago when Clijsters started wearing a ring on her wedding finger, which the Australian gave her as a gift.

AAP

gokimmie
Jun 6th, 2002, 02:28 PM
:eek: OMG !!!!!!!!:) that would be great!

KaseyL
Jun 6th, 2002, 02:36 PM
Re that Lleyton and Kim article I posted here (comes from headline in news.com.au btw), I really wonder how these reporters get to know this.

So I am sort of sceptical. On the other hand, I would like to know what caused this report. There must be something that triggered it. Wonder what.

The 'parents announcement' certainly doesn't make much sense.

Thinking of the last mistakes the Australian press made re Kim and becoming Australian, I wouldn't be too surprised if some reporter jumped to conclusions again, based on let's say half a word here or there.

Anyway, the report is making a headline in the Australian press today.

arn
Jun 6th, 2002, 02:42 PM
Why would Lleyton tell it to the press???

if it's true; good for them, I hope they will be very happy!!!!!!

Come-on-kim
Jun 6th, 2002, 05:23 PM
Great for them!!!! If it's true, CONGRATULATIONS KIM AND LLEYTON

Gonzo Hates Me!
Jun 6th, 2002, 05:24 PM
Omigod!!!!!!! Please be true!!!!!!!

Mazza
Jun 6th, 2002, 06:03 PM
It was in the paper today... major miracle!! British press know who Lleyton and Kimmie are!! :eek: :D Here's the article from The Mirror :) Oooooh!!! I hope it is true!!! It's just sooooooo adorable!! :) :) :) :hearts:

World number one tennis player Lleyton Hewitt is planning to make a very special announcement this weekend.

But I'm sure he won't mind Scurra readers knowing in advance that he has secretly become engaged to his ball-bashing sweetheart, the fourth-ranked woman player Kim Clijsters.

Australian Hewitt, 21, proposed to his lover last week as they stood entwined at the top of the Eiffel Tower, almost two years to the day since they first met in Miami. "They're ecstactic," I am told. "They plan to tell their families on Kim's 19th birthday, which is on Saturday."

Sadly, there is a loser in this love match... Belgian Clijsters wants to quit her homeland and resettle in sunnier Adelaide and under tennis regulations will be able to play for Australia after living there for three years. "Belgium will lose their best player," says my source.

angele87
Jun 6th, 2002, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by cmon kim

Australian Hewitt, 21, proposed to his lover last week as they stood entwined at the top of the Eiffel Tower

I love that quote, it's so cute :D:D:hearts:

Anyways I really really really hope it's true!

Lleyki
Jun 6th, 2002, 07:58 PM
awwww that's so sweet :)
I hope it's true, they were just meant to be together :D

ClijstersHewitt
Jun 6th, 2002, 08:42 PM
I love Lleyton and Kim.:hearts: :kiss: :hearts: :kiss:

Please be true! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Come-on-kim
Jun 6th, 2002, 08:47 PM
I'm so pleased with that for them!!!

I did the same three years ago when I was on journey with school in Paris but it was not an "engagement", it was to go out with a girl, and she said yes :hearts: :hearts: but it didn't last long. Only 2 months!!!!

I hope it'll last all their lives!!!!

Georgia
Jun 6th, 2002, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Lleyki
awwww that's so sweet :)
I hope it's true, they were just meant to be together :D

Georgia
Jun 7th, 2002, 12:02 AM
hi, Well, actually, I don't imagine Kim and Lleyton getting married already. I mean, they don't seem the type to take that step right now. Not that they wouldn't feel serious about each other. Thhat, of course is an other thing. But, I'm quite curious if this thing is true. I'm gonna watch Belgian news on Saturday, that's for sure. Maybe they'll say something about that. Oh by the way, I find the word Lleyki quite funny!!!

PS: sorry for my previous reply. Made a mistake there and it was sent before I knew it!!!

Georgie-girl

Georgia
Jun 7th, 2002, 12:22 AM
well, if this really happened last week, no wonder why Kim didn't manage to go intothe fourth round. Lleyton was probably dominating her head.

disposablehero
Jun 7th, 2002, 05:56 AM
I'm always skeptical of stories that get basic facts wrong. Kim and Lleyton did not meet 2 years ago in Miami. It was nearly 2 and a hald years ago in Melbourne.

irma
Jun 7th, 2002, 07:52 AM
I thought they were already engaged?:confused:
if it's true then congratulations:)

KaseyL
Jun 7th, 2002, 10:39 PM
Now this is also in an Australian paper, Daily Telegraph:

No bells for Hewitt

08jun02
REPORTS that Lleyton "C'mon" Hewitt has popped the question to his equally dynamic girlfriend Kim Clijsters are "absolute crap" according to Lleyton's dad.

Glynn Hewitt _ known in Adelaide as Clark Griswald, after the Chevy Chase character in the National Lampoon Vacation movies – said reports in a London newspaper that the world No. 1 had proposed to Clijsters were totally wrong.
"It is absolute crap and you can quote me on that," Mr Hewitt said.

"They have never been to the Eiffel Tower.

"It is totally wrong. I don't know where that's come from, but it's crap."

Hewitt, 21, and the Belgian, 19, who have been together for two years, are fiercely private about their relationship.

Clijsters said that she would consider living in Australia one day.

Yan_ange
Jun 7th, 2002, 10:45 PM
I heard about this report in Australia from a friend. I am a bit skeptical since it could have just been a rumour anyway.

However I did watch the match when John Alexander made the slip and said that Kim was Lleyton's "financee". Don't know whether that was a honest mistake or not. Anyhow, I hope that Kim will have a great Birthday today.

Happy 19th Birthday!!! Kim!

So Good Luck to both of them in tournaments next week!! :angel:

KaseyL
Jun 7th, 2002, 10:51 PM
Congrats may be premature, there is now another article denying it. Both articles (one claiming it, report AAP, and one denying it) are in the thread about the topic.

Yan_ange
Jun 7th, 2002, 10:55 PM
I heard about this report in Australia from a friend. I am a bit skeptical since it could have just been a rumour anyway.

However I did watch the match when John Alexander made the slip and said that Kim was Lleyton's "financee". Don't know whether that was a honest mistake or not. Anyhow, I hope that Kim will have a great Birthday today.

Happy 19th Birthday!!! Kim!

So Good Luck to both of them in tournaments next week!! :angel:

KaseyL
Jun 8th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Found further speculation:

Has Lleyton Finally Popped the Question?

Date: June 7, 2002, 8:22am

Is it true?! Are Kim Clijsters and Lleyton Hewitt heading down the alter?! Two British newspapers as well as a Melbourne TV station are confident with the news that the tennis darlings are soon to tie the knot.

According to the papers, Australian no.1 Hewitt proposed to the Belgian no. 4 while on top of the Eiffel Tower. The pair have been scurrying around Paris sight-seeing and even going to Disney Land after tragic early round losses.

The news is thought to have been accidentally leaked when Australian commentator John Alexander referred to Clijsters as Hewitt's "fiancée" earlier this week. When confronted about the comment, he claimed it was a mistake and a slip of the tongue.

According to a source from British paper The Scurra, the inseperable duo plan to inform their parents on Clijsters' 19th birthday this Saturday, while Hewitt is expected to make a formal announcement sometime by the end of the week.

auntie janie
Jun 8th, 2002, 12:47 PM
DId he pound his chest and pump his fist when she said Yes? ;)

angele87
Jun 8th, 2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by janie
DId he pound his chest and pump his fist when she said Yes? ;)

Hahhahah :D:D

Cilla
Jun 8th, 2002, 04:13 PM
I love that this description of Lleyton Lleyton"C'mon"Hewitt LMAO!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Clijsters28
Feb 12th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Does anyone know why they split up.

everythingtaboo
Feb 14th, 2012, 04:54 AM
This is quite a thread bump. :eek:

No one knows why they broke up. But there is a rather amusing thread full of silly rumours/theories:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=391542