PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Channel acquires rights to French Open

cometz9
Aug 24th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Tennis Channel acquires rights to French Open
By HOWARD FENDRICH, AP Sports Writer
August 24, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- The Tennis Channel is buying the U.S. cable TV rights to the French Open previously held by ESPN2, giving the fledgling network a Grand Slam tournament for the first time and an event it hopes will help increase its reach.

The agreement, announced Thursday, begins in 2007 and can run for up to nine years. It also gives The Tennis Channel U.S. rights in all media for the clay-court tournament, including broadband and video-on-demand, plus access to archives of past matches.

ADVERTISEMENT
"We are looking at this not as a chunk of programming for two weeks to fill a morning, but rather as a year-round content partnership," The Tennis Channel's chairman and CEO Ken Solomon said in a telephone interview.

The Tennis Channel went on the air in 2003 and is in nearly 10 million households; it's available in another 40 million that don't subscribe. ESPN2, which aired the French Open from 1986-93 and 2002-06, is seen in 90.6 million homes.

NBC owns the U.S. broadcast rights to the French Open, which begins in late May.

Solomon wouldn't disclose how long the deal is or how much it will cost, other than to say: "More than we've paid for anything else. ... It's a price worthy of a Grand Slam and all that it can do for this company."

ESPN2 has been billing itself as the Grand Slam network, because it also airs the Australian Open and Wimbledon. And it's possible that some part of the French Open could still wind up on ESPN2, because The Tennis Channel's arrangement allows it to sub-license its TV rights.

That could lead to cross-promotion that would help The Tennis Channel.

Solomon likened this deal to Fox's acquisition of NFL rights in 1994, which helped that broadcaster attract viewers. Solomon worked for Fox at that time.

"We have pretty high hopes. ... I think this is going to grow our distribution," he said. "Nothing drives distribution like top-tier pro sports."

Solomon said his channel will expand the number of hours of French Open coverage. ESPN2 aired 93 hours of live tennis from this year's tournament, drawing an average of more than 300,000 households per telecast, according to ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz.

"We have enjoyed televising the French Open, and ESPN will continue its strong commitment to tennis," Krulewitz said.

The Tennis Channel already airs portions of dozens of other tennis tournaments, but this is its first chance to show live action from one of the sport's four premier events.

"This is our first one," Solomon said. "Could we theoretically make a grab for others that are coming? Absolutely."

What are your thoughts on this major change? I think most of us including myself are not fortunate enough to have The Tennis Channel where we lived :(

RAA
Aug 24th, 2006, 04:47 PM
ok that totally sux because I can't get the tennis channel

griffin
Aug 24th, 2006, 04:49 PM
On one hand, they'll probably broadcast more matches than ESPN.

On the other, I don't get it either.

Marcell
Aug 24th, 2006, 04:50 PM
I guess I won't be seeing the french Open anymore. My cable company refuses to carry TTC.

AJZ.
Aug 24th, 2006, 04:52 PM
I wish I could get TTC. Illico Digital doesn't have it.

-VSR-
Aug 24th, 2006, 04:54 PM
What the hell. This completely sucks for me, I don't get the tennis channel. Only ESPN. This sucks! I am so pissed. The only way I could get TTC is if they signed with DirecTV, which I have. :rolleyes:

Oneofakind0490
Aug 24th, 2006, 04:58 PM
It sucks.
I dont watch the french because I have school but i watch on the weekend and I do not have the tennis channel. Maybe the tennis channel should reach out to all cable providers before buying the big tournies.

dreamgoddess099
Aug 24th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Damn that sucks because the tennis channel's coverage sucks sweaty monkey balls. We won't see any women's matches.

-VSR-
Aug 24th, 2006, 05:00 PM
I have school too. But I always got up around 5:30-6:00 (depending) to watch some good matches. This sucks now. :mad:

CoryAnnAvants#1
Aug 24th, 2006, 05:01 PM
They better be on basic cable or something damn close to it by May. Otherwise a LOT of people are going to be pissed off.

AlexB
Aug 24th, 2006, 05:06 PM
great day for tv tennis..now go get the other 3 majors as well

cometz9
Aug 24th, 2006, 05:11 PM
great day for tv tennis..now go get the other 3 majors as well

:ras: lucky

I hope the french open will have something like Wimbledon Live where u can watch matches online.

Knizzle
Aug 24th, 2006, 05:11 PM
I bet the Tennis Channel will have major expansion before the FO 2007, it would only make sense. If not, then WTF?? USA should have gotten the FO back.

MARYANGEL
Aug 24th, 2006, 05:13 PM
This is a GREEATAATTTTTTT news, Tennis Channel is only for tennis, now we'll have a change to watch completed matches, and if you miss then, Tennic channel allways replays. I'm looking forward to this. ESPN2 is just to busy with other sport and ATP.NOT TO MUCH OF WTA.....

Linnie
Aug 24th, 2006, 05:16 PM
I guess I won't be seeing the french Open anymore. My cable company refuses to carry TTC.
Same here :mad: :fiery:

venus_rulez
Aug 24th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I don't get the Tennis channel either. This either shows that The tennis Channel will be expanding soon or that ESPN just wanted to get rid of tennis. This announcement doesn't make me very happy.

MARYANGEL
Aug 24th, 2006, 05:18 PM
They better be on basic cable or something damn close to it by May. Otherwise a LOT of people are going to be pissed off.
The basic cable did not want to make deals with Tennis channel. The only company was Dish network, but I'm sure they work something for everybody.

Derek.
Aug 24th, 2006, 05:19 PM

Ditto. :sad:

lizchris
Aug 24th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Does Cablevision crry The Tennis Channel? If not, then I won't be able to see the French Open, but I am glad it is leaving EPSN, who never should have had it in the first place.

franny
Aug 24th, 2006, 05:26 PM
I'm sorry but a grand slam deserves to be covered on a big network, not some small cable network. Would they televise the Masters on the golf channel? Seriously. I just hope that the Tennis Channel decides to do some broadband thing where we can watch from the internet.

Jakeev
Aug 24th, 2006, 05:27 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

NO MORE CHRIS FOWLER!!!!!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

viele
Aug 24th, 2006, 05:31 PM
This is only good news for those who can actually get the Tennis Channel which remains an awfully small amount of people. I think this is a step back for tennis. We should be trying to expose tennis to the greatest amount of people instead one of the four major championships will be broadcast to what amounts to an exclusive club! Unless TTC plans a major expansion in the next 8 months this a huge step back for the popularity of tennis in the states!

Meesh
Aug 24th, 2006, 05:32 PM
This sucks, they said that they will still show some on ESPN2 as part of a deal but that will most likely mean tape delay since Tennis Channel will probably want to show LIVE coverage. I need to upgrade to digital... i keep saying that but it's getting so freak'n expensive... and the taxes on cable tv, phones, cell phones is just stupid!

Belmont Lad
Aug 24th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Great, no French Open coverage for me next year :mad: :( :fiery:

Ferosh
Aug 24th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Must get the tennis channel!

ToeTag
Aug 24th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Great, no French Open coverage for me next year :mad: :( :fiery:
TSN will just pick up the coverage from TTC.

Knizzle
Aug 24th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Must get the tennis channel!Good luck where you live. :devil: :sad:

tenn_ace
Aug 24th, 2006, 05:42 PM

same no thanks to Cocks Communications :rolleyes:

Ferosh
Aug 24th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Good luck where you live. :devil: :sad:

Dish Network carries the channel right? I don't mind getting the dish if it means extra/better coverage of the French Open and it's archives.

rseto
Aug 24th, 2006, 05:46 PM
do the tennis channel execs know the french open is not the nfl? don't think any cable companies will decide to carry TTC just because of the french open.

i smell online pay per view. how else will they pay for the rights.

rjd1111
Aug 24th, 2006, 05:58 PM

Mine Too.

GrandSlam05
Aug 24th, 2006, 06:05 PM
This is only good news for those who can actually get the Tennis Channel which remains an awfully small amount of people. I think this is a step back for tennis. We should be trying to expose tennis to the greatest amount of people instead one of the four major championships will be broadcast to what amounts to an exclusive club! Unless TTC plans a major expansion in the next 8 months this a huge step back for the popularity of tennis in the states!
Well the 2nd week will still be on NBC won't it? That's what most casual people watching anyway. SF's and finals.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Aug 24th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Sucks for people who don't have TTC.

sfselesfan
Aug 24th, 2006, 06:16 PM
I was coming on this board to say "F@!#!, now I have to get a f-ing sattelite!" and...

I just looked at the website and lo and behold, my cable provider does carry it! I thought they didn't. They must have just acquired it because I checked just a few weeks ago.

If you go to the Tennis Channel Website and look at the bottom left corner you can enter your zip code and check.

I live in San Francisco.

SF

JohnRoberts
Aug 24th, 2006, 06:17 PM
oh noooooooooooooooo!
I don't have tennis channel and am not planning to get one.

~CANUCK~
Aug 24th, 2006, 06:18 PM
PLEASE TTC apply to the CRTC to allow you to have a channel in Canada.

Carmen Mairena
Aug 24th, 2006, 06:20 PM
I'm a happy European citizen!!! :woohoo: :haha:

Jeff
Aug 24th, 2006, 06:21 PM
The Tennis Channel only aires in certain parts of the USA...I don't get it either. Unless a channel is big and airs nationally, I don't think it should be given rights to a huge event.

JohnRoberts
Aug 24th, 2006, 06:25 PM
The Tennis Channel only aires in certain parts of the USA...I don't get it either. Unless a channel is big and airs nationally, I don't think it should be given rights to a huge event.

I think this purchase may bankrupt Tennis Channel if they don't do sth.

Kuilli
Aug 24th, 2006, 06:27 PM
This sucks. No tennis channel for me. :(

njnetswill
Aug 24th, 2006, 06:35 PM
I have TTC, so good for me. Time Warner provides it, and it is a fairly large cable provider right?

TTC does show women's tennis, but many times it is men's coverage since they have the rights to Monte Carlo, Paris Indoors, etc and other European Masters Events.

Infiniti2001
Aug 24th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Well I can't say I am disappointed since I get TTC --and I won't be surprised if Mary Carillo shows up there too :rolleyes:

Rocketta
Aug 24th, 2006, 06:56 PM
I'm happy because I know they will show way more women's tennis than ESPN does and a whole lot less gossip. :yeah:

I'm shocked so many of you still don't have TTC...I mean i'm in a tiny town and I had it within two months of it going on air? :scratch:

meyerpl
Aug 24th, 2006, 06:56 PM
It rules. I'll probably take vacation to watch it.

Screw cable. Get dish Network and you're in business.

I'll tell you what else they're certain to do; broadcast matches live, then re-broadcast them later when people in other time zones can watch them without missing school/work and/or getting up at 3:00 in the morning.

meyerpl
Aug 24th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Well I can't say I am disappointed since I get TTC --and I won't be surprised if Mary Carillo shows up there too :rolleyes:
If she does I'll slash my wrists.

mboyle
Aug 24th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Oh dear....I have TTC...but I only know what channel it is in Florida, and I will still be in Boston for the French Open...and I do not want to KNOW what channel it is in Boston, because, if I know, well let's just say my academic career will suffer due to time constraints;) ...

mboyle
Aug 24th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Okay for my serious post:

The Tennis Channel's coverage is much better than ESPN's...I mean MUCHHHH better. Katrina Adams is wonderful and Leif Shiras is only mildly annoying. TTC also shows far more women's tennis than men's tennis, and shows many non Americans.

However, just because 1/4 of the country will get much improved coverage does not justify the fact that 3/4 of the country will get no coverage at all. That's honestly retarded.

Rocketta
Aug 24th, 2006, 07:20 PM

BITE YOUR TONGUE! :fiery:

Stamp Paid
Aug 24th, 2006, 07:23 PM
If she does I'll slash my wrists.

Then pour salt in my slashed open wrists once you finish so we can death together.
OOooh that means theyre gonna be showing NOTHING BUT French open coverage then, prolly. Glad I got TTC! :banana:

SelesFan70
Aug 24th, 2006, 07:26 PM
I bet the Tennis Channel will have major expansion before the FO 2007, it would only make sense. If not, then WTF?? USA should have gotten the FO back.

I agree, and I also miss Wimbledon on HBO...no commercials!

Bijoux0021
Aug 24th, 2006, 07:34 PM
I'm happy because I know they will show way more women's tennis than ESPN does and a whole lot less gossip. :yeah:

I'm shocked so many of you still don't have TTC...I mean i'm in a tiny town and I had it within two months of it going on air? :scratch:
Let's hope the gossip commentators from ESPN don't show up at TTC.

hurricanejeanne
Aug 24th, 2006, 07:49 PM

I completely agree with your post.

I also am living in a small town and have had TTC since I got dish network back around Christmas of last year. We had DirectTV for a long time before that and we switched because of the prices...and I got an extra bonus because low and behold I have TTC.

I'm sure TTC will have to expand more because of the fact it now carries the French.

meyerpl
Aug 24th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Okay for my serious post:

The Tennis Channel's coverage is much better than ESPN's...I mean MUCHHHH better. Katrina Adams is wonderful and Leif Shiras is only mildly annoying. TTC also shows far more women's tennis than men's tennis, and shows many non Americans.

However, just because 1/4 of the country will get much improved coverage does not justify the fact that 3/4 of the country will get no coverage at all. That's honestly retarded.
Anybody who is serious about getting TTC can do so by subscribing to dish network.

sfselesfan
Aug 24th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Tennis channel does not have time for expansion before next year. It takes time to expand a network that much.

SF

Pheobo
Aug 24th, 2006, 09:10 PM
I'd be throwing a bitch fit if I still didn't have TTC

yukon145
Aug 24th, 2006, 09:26 PM
the tennis channel better sign a deal with DirecTV before next spring or im gonna be really pissed.

faste5683
Aug 24th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Then pour salt in my slashed open wrists once you finish so we can death together.
OOooh that means theyre gonna be showing NOTHING BUT French open coverage then, prolly. Glad I got TTC! :banana:

:lol:

No joke! I mean, they showed the "Tennis Channel Open" or whatever it was (the one in Los Vegas?) 24 hours a day for a month. Can you imagine what they'll do at the French? :eek:

:wavey:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Aug 24th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Will TSN copy the tennis channel coverage? I hope so, if not then no canadians will see the french open next year because it's not available up here :bigcry:

faste5683
Aug 24th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Let's hope the gossip commentators from ESPN don't show up at TTC.

God, I hope they don't! It seems the gossip is getting more abundant every year...what's that all about? The thing about Leaf Shiras is that although he could be considered "boring" by some, he is fair, kind to players and talks about TENNIS.

:wavey:

In The Zone
Aug 24th, 2006, 11:12 PM
I think this was very much a political move by TTC. Obviously they want to be the main channel for tennis, but now, this pressures DirecTV to finally agree to terms with The Tennis Channel. If DirecTV does not sign by May 2007, trust me, DirecTV and other cable networks will be feeling the tension.

Scotso
Aug 24th, 2006, 11:30 PM
I'm pissed. My idiot cable company better get it.

akosiirwyn
Aug 24th, 2006, 11:39 PM
TSN will just pick up the coverage from TTC.

Are you sure?

Apoleb
Aug 24th, 2006, 11:39 PM
hmm, that's a good step to live up to their name as a tennis channel.

meyerpl
Aug 24th, 2006, 11:41 PM
the tennis channel better sign a deal with DirecTV before next spring or im gonna be really pissed.
Don't be pissed. Vote with your feet.

Kenny
Aug 24th, 2006, 11:44 PM
DishNetwork has TTC.. for all the people that can't get it.. that's what happened to me.. now I got DishNetwork and I'm glad I have it.. but I mean it's nothing too damn exciting. lol

PatrickRyan
Aug 24th, 2006, 11:46 PM
this sucks! no i can't watch the french open.

mirzalover
Aug 24th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Dayum Dayum Dayum I Hate Espn They Fuck Up The Coverage Of Tennis And As Soon As They Give Up One Of The Events They Cover The Tennis Channel Gets It And Thats Even Worse Since I Dont Have The Tennis Channel

selesfan
Aug 25th, 2006, 03:02 AM
ok that totally sux because I can't get the tennis channel

Comcast now has the tennis channel, you have to pay an extra $5.00 a month.

iWill
Aug 25th, 2006, 03:05 AM
It sucks.
I dont watch the french because I have school but i watch on the weekend and I do not have the tennis channel. Maybe the tennis channel should reach out to all cable providers before buying the big tournies.

Exactly i dont think they should even be able to buy the rights to a tournament without being shown world or at least nationwide their ratings will plummit for the French Open if only the tennis channel shows it cuz everyone doesnt get it

selyoink
Aug 25th, 2006, 03:08 AM
This sucks. I guess I won't be seeing much of the French Open in the future.

BK4ever
Aug 25th, 2006, 03:19 AM
I only pay $1.95 extra for TTC from Time Warner :D

Obviously folks who are interested will have to step up the campaign to their cable providers to open up a channel for TTC. I'm sure TTC had some guarantees from cable providers before closing the deal. More importantly for them is how advertisers will adjust.

Brashkoala
Aug 25th, 2006, 05:29 AM
bad news for regular tennis fans, great news for harcore fans who have the tennis channel. i have it, so, yupe.

selesfan
Aug 25th, 2006, 12:52 PM
I only pay $1.95 extra for TTC from Time Warner :D

Obviously folks who are interested will have to step up the campaign to their cable providers to open up a channel for TTC. I'm sure TTC had some guarantees from cable providers before closing the deal. More importantly for them is how advertisers will adjust.

I had to pay $5.00 but its worth it. I think people should keep hounding their cable provider to get it, I did and it took a couple of years, but I finally got it.

serenafann
Aug 25th, 2006, 03:59 PM
I am fortunate enough to have The Tennis Channel,after years of asking my cable company,Comcast[now Time Warner Cable]for it,hopefully TTC will do a good job with it,and hopefully it will be available to more people soon.

!<blocparty>!
Aug 25th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Wow. How retarded. Why don't American's have something like Sky?

It's times like this where I'm glad to be British. Exclusive coverage of every slam, interactive coverage with a choice of up to 8 matches for Wimbledon and the USO. :angel: