PDA

View Full Version : Maria Sharapova ranked world's richest woman in sport

selecta
Aug 24th, 2006, 04:14 PM
The income of the Russian tennis star Maria Sharapova in 2006 made up $25 million. This is a record number among all female athletes.

US magazine Sports Illustrated proved that Maria Sharapova is the highest paid female athlete in the world. The loudest tennis player makes up 13.4 British pounds a year, which equals about 25 million US dollars. Maria has not been able to achieve any significant victories on tennis court after her triumph in Wimbledon 2004. However, the star, who currently resides in Florida, continues to receive very good money on her bank account from a variety of advertising campaigns.

American journalists were surprised to find out that Sharapova outstripped world’s best tennis player among men, Roger Federer. The winner of eight Grand Slam tournaments earns three million less than Sharapova does.

At present moment, Sharapova ranks fourth among world’s strongest female tennis players. Unlike Anna Kournikova (pictures), Maria says at her almost every press conference that tennis is her first priority. When journalists told her about her earnings, she joked: “Money is never enough. There is no limit of how much you can make,” said she.

It is worthy of note that her skills of playing tennis and screaming on the court bring her only two million dollars a year. The basic income comes from advertising. The Russian girl of Siberian origin has become a great attraction to advertisers. It just so happens that her face and legs bring her $20 a year. She advertises tennis gear, cameras, cars, watches and cellular phones. When a journalist asked her about her appearance in Lady’s Speed Stick deodorant TV ads, which are currently aired on many Russian channels, she said that she could not recollect such a contract.

Maria Sharapova is very proud of launching the production of her own perfume. “When you win Wimbledon, you think about the work that you had to do to accomplish the goal, but you don’t think about money. But if you win all the four Slams, you can make more than 100 million dollars.” It is not ruled out that Maria can make such earnings in the future.

In 2005, world’s highest-paid athlete was Michael Schumacher with $79 million. Soccer star David Beckham earned $24 million.

goldenlox
Aug 24th, 2006, 04:18 PM
No one knows the actual numbers.
But since Sharapova hasn't won since she first got her endorsement deals, I think it's safe to say her numbers are very overstated.
But she stills gets paid very well for a player who's biggest win in 2 years are slam QF's

mashamaniac
Aug 24th, 2006, 05:02 PM
is enough...please stop making from one thread in multiple times! what does it really mean?? one thread of this name was made some weeks ago and with the same amount it is made today??

rjd1111
Aug 24th, 2006, 05:52 PM
This is the second time I've seen Pova referred to as the richest Woman
in sport on this board. She is NOT. She may be the Highest paid woman
in sport. But that has only been for a couple of years. Venus got her
first endorsement deal at 12 yrs old ( $12 Mil ) Followed by her second
Reebok deal for $40 Mil. Serena's one Nike deal is worth more than Pova
has made in those 2 yrs. Also the Millions Puma has paid her.
The Sisters have also made Millions from deals with Mickey D's, Avon, Amer Xpress, Wrigleys, Close Up, and others. Plus over $30Mil from Tennis winnings. There is also those supposed
Non existant appearance fees that no one seems to get. ( How did
those Oil Shieks convince Venus to play Dubai a couple of years ago when
it was a low tier, low money event. Then Serena the next year.)
A couple of years ago they were Estimated to be worth over $250Mil.
Assuming they don't keep that loot under a mattress, But in an interest
bearing account, the interest on that should nearly equal what Pova
makes in a year.

Pasta-Na
Aug 24th, 2006, 05:55 PM
The income of the Russian tennis star Maria Sharapova in 2006 made up $25 million. This is a record number among all female athletes.

US magazine Sports Illustrated proved that Maria Sharapova is the highest paid female athlete in the world. The loudest tennis player makes up 13.4 British pounds a year, which equals about 25 million US dollars. Maria has not been able to achieve any significant victories on tennis court after her triumph in Wimbledon 2004. However, the star, who currently resides in Florida, continues to receive very good money on her bank account from a variety of advertising campaigns.

American journalists were surprised to find out that Sharapova outstripped world’s best tennis player among men, Roger Federer. The winner of eight Grand Slam tournaments earns three million less than Sharapova does.

At present moment, Sharapova ranks fourth among world’s strongest female tennis players. Unlike Anna Kournikova (pictures), Maria says at her almost every press conference that tennis is her first priority. When journalists told her about her earnings, she joked: “Money is never enough. There is no limit of how much you can make,” said she.

It is worthy of note that her skills of playing tennis and screaming on the court bring her only two million dollars a year. The basic income comes from advertising. The Russian girl of Siberian origin has become a great attraction to advertisers. It just so happens that her face and legs bring her $20 a year. She advertises tennis gear, cameras, cars, watches and cellular phones. When a journalist asked her about her appearance in Lady’s Speed Stick deodorant TV ads, which are currently aired on many Russian channels, she said that she could not recollect such a contract.

Maria Sharapova is very proud of launching the production of her own perfume. “When you win Wimbledon, you think about the work that you had to do to accomplish the goal, but you don’t think about money. But if you win all the four Slams, you can make more than 100 million dollars.” It is not ruled out that Maria can make such earnings in the future.

In 2005, world’s highest-paid athlete was Michael Schumacher with $79 million. Soccer star David Beckham earned $24 million.

well, i suggest u can get married with her then :angel: :o

Carmen Mairena
Aug 24th, 2006, 06:24 PM
What a retarded ranking... :retard:

The more richer the most money she should be taken off her bank accounts... :retard: If I was the Russian Premier I would take 90% of her money to help poor people. Just my 2 cents...

BTW there goes Kournikova II... And Maria said that she wasn't the NEW Kournikova... She was going to be the NEW Maria... :haha: :rolls:

manu32
Aug 24th, 2006, 08:55 PM
sorenstam=tiger woods the top because golf is very popular in USA and tennis not (now).....woods and federer is like 1 to 100

Helen Lawson
Aug 24th, 2006, 08:59 PM
She made the most last year, but I think there are plenty of other women sports figures, past and present, who are far wealthier like Steffi, the Williams sisters individually even are probably wealthier than Maria, these women have had a lot more years to accumulate wealth. Assuming Maria had to part with half of that in taxes and commissions and the like, I could also easily see ASV, Martina Hingis, and Monica having better net worths than Maria. I'm not sure what kind of money Chris Evert has, I mean, I'm sure it's at least mid to upper 7 figures, but not sure how much more than that.

Brooklyn90
Aug 24th, 2006, 09:01 PM
another thread on how much sharapova makes, how fun! :rolleyes:

Mother_Marjorie
Aug 24th, 2006, 10:41 PM
BTW there goes Kournikova II... And Maria said that she wasn't the NEW Kournikova... She was going to be the NEW Maria... :haha: :rolls:

How ignorant. Maria is a single grand slam champion and has won tennis tournaments. Anna never could.

AllezCumonJiayou
Aug 24th, 2006, 10:44 PM
god, sharapova should just stop playing tennis so we can stop having these stupid repetitive threads.

she should be forced to give her money to poor russians, many of her friends back home are probably living in poverty

GrandSlam05
Aug 24th, 2006, 10:47 PM
She made the most last year, but I think there are plenty of other women sports figures, past and present, who are far wealthier like Steffi, the Williams sisters individually even are probably wealthier than Maria, these women have had a lot more years to accumulate wealth. Assuming Maria had to part with half of that in taxes and commissions and the like, I could also easily see ASV, Martina Hingis, and Monica having better net worths than Maria. I'm not sure what kind of money Chris Evert has, I mean, I'm sure it's at least mid to upper 7 figures, but not sure how much more than that.
And that's not counting the money some might get from mommy and daddy. Unless they make no provisions, for reasons which are well-known to them.

Mother_Marjorie
Aug 24th, 2006, 10:49 PM
god, sharapova should just stop playing tennis so we can stop having these stupid repetitive threads.

Why should Maria stop playing tennis because there are stupid people in the world?

morningglory
Aug 24th, 2006, 11:39 PM
wow! SHe outearns even David Beckham? Impressive... :eek:

Marshmallow
Aug 25th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Quite embarassing actually, that a player who clearly isn't the best player around, who isn't the most accomplished, is the top earner in the sport (whether from sponsors or whomever).

What message does this send out? Actually think about it people. It's quite ridiculous. http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/rolleye/rolleye0001.gif

morningglory
Aug 25th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Quite embarassing actually, that a player who clearly isn't the best player around, who isn't the most accomplished, is the top earner in the sport (whether from sponsors or whomever).

What message does this send out? Actually think about it people. It's quite ridiculous. http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/rolleye/rolleye0001.gif
welcome to the world :yawn:
And it's not ridiculous at all.... it's totally normal.