PDA

View Full Version : Tati at US Open 2006

selyoink
Aug 23rd, 2006, 05:01 PM
Tati opens with Ashley Harkleroad in the first round. Here is her section of draw:

27 Golovin
Harkleroad

Yan
Qualifier

Frazier
Ruano Pascual

Qualifier
5 Petrova

In the 4th round the seed would be Myskina

FrenchY52
Aug 23rd, 2006, 05:25 PM
That's a pretty good draw i think but Harkleroad can be dangerous.

ZAK
Aug 23rd, 2006, 06:04 PM
Its quite a good draw. Harkleroad can be dangerous but anyone can be dangerous. I'm just happy she didn't get Zvonareva or Serena in the first round

One match at a time and beat Harkleroad!

rseto
Aug 23rd, 2006, 06:23 PM
looking at the whole eighth section is interesting. don't see a favorite with the 4 seeds not playing well and/or injured. good opportunity for somebody.

but tati will need a good match to get out of the 1st round.

boffaloraa
Aug 23rd, 2006, 06:46 PM
That's a pretty good if you consider that the first seed that Tati can meet is Petrova who is definetely not in good shape, it could be Justine or Maria ;)

yukon145
Aug 23rd, 2006, 11:44 PM
with Tati we can't look past the first round. harkleroad could be a threat if she plays well and gains support from the crowd. but if Tati plays well and stays focused she should win.

i hope this match will be on TV.

ZAK
Aug 24th, 2006, 12:31 AM
i hope this match will be on TV.

I think our best chance would be if its first match one of the outer TV courts, before play on the big courts start

yukon145
Aug 24th, 2006, 01:26 AM
I think our best chance would be if its first match one of the outer TV courts, before play on the big courts start

agreed. i could see this match being played on the grandstand.

Harju.
Aug 24th, 2006, 12:27 PM
I might be too optimist, but this is A HUGE HUGE CHANCE for Tati to reach QF in Grand Slam. She's THE BIG WINNER of this year's draw.
R1 - Ashley H.
R2 - Yan/Qualifier
R3 - Nadya/Amy. K, Tati owns Nadya even she's playing well.
R4 - Nasty/Chucky. Nasty is not playing well and Chucky was injured in the last match.
QF - Sharapiss.
DO NOT BLOW THIS PLEASE.

yukon145
Aug 24th, 2006, 01:54 PM
I might be too optimist, but this is A HUGE HUGE CHANCE for Tati to reach QF in Grand Slam. She's THE BIG WINNER of this year's draw.
R1 - Ashley H.
R2 - Yan/Qualifier
R3 - Nadya/Amy. K, Tati owns Nadya even she's playing well.
R4 - Nasty/Chucky. Nasty is not playing well and Chucky was injured in the last match.
QF - Sharapiss.
DO NOT BLOW THIS PLEASE.

you know what happens when we look that far ahead with Tati :tape: STOP IT NOW! :lol:

Harju.
Aug 24th, 2006, 02:25 PM
you know what happens when we look that far ahead with Tati :tape: STOP IT NOW! :lol:
well she took advantage of her stanford draw. :tape:
if she loses before QF *knocks wood*, i'm going to bitch about her all weeks like i always do. and then start a new tourney, i'd start predicting again, and then followed by bitching :tape:

Let's talk about outfit and double partner.
I say, she's going to wear the white ugly outfit again because apparently she thinks its the best ever since slice bread.
double partner? she's going to grab the first person who she finds at practise court. hopefully, it's Pratt :tape:

ZAK
Aug 24th, 2006, 02:34 PM
I think she might wear a new outfit, because she wore that blue one for the first time at the US Open last year. I'm hoping for either Stevenson or Julia Cohen as doubles partners

AnneSo006
Aug 24th, 2006, 05:08 PM
I think Tati has a pretty good draw !
I hope she will succeed in the first and the second round to meet Petrova in the third! Petrova doesn't play that good at the moment...

So, I hope Tati will go real far in the US Open!

Come on Tati! :)

http://golovin-attitude.over-blog.com/

TatiAnnahølic
Aug 24th, 2006, 05:42 PM
I say, she's going to wear the white ugly outfit again because apparently she thinks its the best ever since slice bread.:haha: :haha:

I think we'll see her wearing the same as this week (the fugly withe dress, and the new one she used against Molik).

And her partner probably Nathalie "useless" Dechy or another random shitty player.

ZAK
Aug 26th, 2006, 01:23 AM
The Q in Tati's section is Aga Radwanska :mad:. For Tati's sake, I hope Yan beats her

Harju.
Aug 26th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Tati can't catch a break, can she?
End of the QF fantasy.
She always fucks up against new upcoming players.
:bigcry:

Tati looks ridiculously cute on the USO Player Party, however, she needs to stop wearing her mom's clothes. :help: Where's the Tati that knows how to dress? :sad:

http://tatianagolovinhq.bravehost.com/offcourt226.jpg

rseto
Aug 26th, 2006, 01:54 PM
radwanska is a good young player but she's not exactly tearing up the challengers. i'm actually more concerned with harkleroad.

FrenchY52
Aug 26th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Any "big" pics of Tati at the "Glam Open" yesterday plz ? I can't see them in big size on gettyimages

ZAK
Aug 27th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Tati will open on Tuesday. I'll miss her for the third straight year :o because I'm going on Wednesday. Last year I got to see her in doubles, though, so hopefully I will again

TatiAnnahølic
Aug 27th, 2006, 08:52 PM
[3]Black/Stubbs vs. Jackson/Nakamura
Castano/Craybas vs. Bardina/Dekmeijere
Dominguez Lino/Sanchez Lorenzo vs. Rodionova/Vanc
Kirkland/Lee-Waters vs. [15]Hurasova/Likhovtseva

[9]Daniilidou/Medina Garrigues vs. Jankovic/Mattek
Bremond/Golovin vs. Hradecka/Uhlirova
Birnerova/Yakimova vs. Glatch/Spears
Gajdosova/Stewart vs. [8]Safina/Srebotnik

Team Fed Cup!!! :worship:

ZAK
Aug 27th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Good partner and good draw :D

JS
Aug 27th, 2006, 09:13 PM
:D Waou, for once, very good choice!! What a nice partner! :yeah:
I hope they'll do well! (they have a decent draw!)

AnneSo006
Aug 27th, 2006, 10:13 PM
What an ideal team !!! :)
I think these girls can go pretty far in the tournament!
And their draw is not that bad! It's cool we will see Tati a lot in the US Open! ;)
Come on Tati and Sev !

FrenchY52
Aug 28th, 2006, 09:17 AM
This team is hott ! Goo luck

selyoink
Aug 28th, 2006, 03:07 PM
I'm glad Tati is teaming up with Severine. I hope they do as well as they did in Fed Cup.

Magic07
Aug 28th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Great team, ALLEZ LES FILLES :bounce:

martirogi
Aug 28th, 2006, 06:03 PM
go tati :shrug: i have no confidence in your ability to win more than one match.

there vlix :ras: i cheered.

willrock
Aug 28th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Grandstand
from 11:00 AM
1. Gael Monfils (FRA)[27] vs. Michael Russell (USA)
followed by
2. Robert Kendrick (USA) vs. Andy Murray (GBR)[17]
followed by
3. Tatiana Golovin (FRA)[27] vs. Ashley Harkleroad (USA)

=>As I expected Tati will play on the Grandstand against the American girl. The match shouldn't be before 15:00PM local time. Perfect hour for me to watch Tati. Allez Tat :rocker2:

ZAK
Aug 28th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Allez!

yukon145
Aug 28th, 2006, 11:20 PM
good luck Tati! im so glad that i will be able to see this on TV, hopefully it doesn't get rained out.

ZAK
Aug 29th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Tati won't play tomorrow, the rain is going to be crazy! I live less than an hour away and they are predicting very heavy rain :sad: . This sucks cuz Tati got a good court.

Of course its good for me because, I'm going on Wednesday and will get to see more good matches ;) , but still I'd rather there be play tomorrow.

selyoink
Aug 29th, 2006, 04:42 AM
I hope Tati can play her match tomorrow. Only if she wins that is.

rseto
Aug 29th, 2006, 05:17 AM
Tati won't play tomorrow, the rain is going to be crazy! I live less than an hour away and they are predicting very heavy rain :sad: . This sucks cuz Tati got a good court.

Of course its good for me because, I'm going on Wednesday and will get to see more good matches ;) , but still I'd rather there be play tomorrow.

enjoy! that means 10-12 hours of tennis with a day ticket! :lick:

although this also means tati will probably play on a smaller court on wednesday.

youkoulélé
Aug 29th, 2006, 10:49 AM
yeah we should keep our fingers crossed!! No rain plz!! :worship:

AnneSo006
Aug 29th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Yes! No rain please! :worship:
I trully hope that she will play today! :D
I'm so excited about this match that I don't want it to be postponed! ;)

Go Tati!!!! :D

Now in French: Allez Tati!!!! On est tous avec toi!!!

Harju.
Aug 29th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Everyone in this thread making me nervous with her first match against Ashley :scared: :tape:.

Allez Tati.

yukon145
Aug 29th, 2006, 04:56 PM
damn rain! if Tati doesn't play today i know that shes gonna get stuck on some court without TV coverage tomorrow and i wont be able to see her, damn it.

Harju.
Aug 29th, 2006, 05:03 PM
damn rain! if Tati doesn't play today i know that shes gonna get stuck on some court without TV coverage tomorrow and i wont be able to see her, damn it.
which lead to lack of photoes to drool.
then again, if she wears that white dress again, she might as well be on court 498574967. :tape:

martirogi
Aug 29th, 2006, 07:19 PM
which lead to lack of photoes to drool.
then again, if she wears that white dress again, she might as well be on court 498574967. :tape:

:armed: i can feel the disappointment of the SAME FUCKING OUTFIT already.

rseto
Aug 29th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Everyone in this thread making me nervous with her first match against Ashley :scared: :tape:.

Allez Tati.

i was a little worried about this match when i saw the draw. heck i'm always worried about her first round matches! :lol:

play a good match, tati!

ZAK
Aug 30th, 2006, 12:38 AM
She'll be fourth on Grandstand tomorrow!

yukon145
Aug 30th, 2006, 12:42 AM
She'll be fourth on Grandstand tomorrow!

thank god she will be on TV and i can watch it.

selyoink
Aug 30th, 2006, 04:45 AM
thank god she will be on TV and i can watch it.

Do you have the USA network Direct TV thing that shows 5 different courts?

yukon145
Aug 30th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Do you have the USA network Direct TV thing that shows 5 different courts?

yes i do, and its like heaven on earth. no bullshit studio breaks and watching crap matches i dont want too. they should do this for all the grand slams, and done it a long time ago.

if i could i would tape this match and upload it for you all, but i don't know how too and pretty sure i dont have the right cables for it, etc. if someone could tell me how to do it i will try if its possible.

x Chu x
Aug 30th, 2006, 05:32 AM
going to see her at the us open tomorrow hopefully. damn its the forth match, that's going to be very late

boffaloraa
Aug 30th, 2006, 06:37 AM
If anyone (just like me ;) ) wouldn't probably see Tati on TV cause they're gonna show other encounters for sure, just go to the link

http://usopen2006.eurosport.com/

Eurosport give the possibility to view five different courts for only 2.99$ for one day, 5.99$ for five days and 9.99$ for entire tournament :bounce: If you have problems just pm me and I will share my password ;)

rseto
Aug 30th, 2006, 08:04 AM
If anyone (just like me ;) ) wouldn't probably see Tati on TV cause they're gonna show other encounters for sure, just go to the link

http://usopen2006.eurosport.com/

Eurosport give the possibility to view five different courts for only 2.99$ for one day, 5.99$ for five days and 9.99$ for entire tournament :bounce: If you have problems just pm me and I will share my password ;)

thanks for the link boffa but i think it's only available in europe.

i get: Sorry but the 2006 US OPEN Video offer is not available in your country.

However, you can follow the US OPEN with LIVE scoring and comments in our LIVE CENTER

but i know you'll upload the match afterwards. ;)

boffaloraa
Aug 30th, 2006, 09:34 AM
thanks for the link boffa but i think it's only available in europe.

i get: Sorry but the 2006 US OPEN Video offer is not available in your country.

However, you can follow the US OPEN with LIVE scoring and comments in our LIVE CENTER

but i know you'll upload the match afterwards. ;)

Eurosport is crazy, why you can't view the match if you pay to view it :( ;)

Harju.
Aug 30th, 2006, 02:21 PM
today is selyoink's birthday y'all ;) or was it yesterday? :tape:

Happy (Belated) Birthday :aparty:

selyoink
Aug 30th, 2006, 03:02 PM
today is selyoink's birthday y'all ;) or was it yesterday? :tape:

Happy (Belated) Birthday :aparty:

Yesterday but close enough. Thanks

-VSR-
Aug 30th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Good luck Tati, I am tuning into her match as we speak. I really hope she plays some good tennis, I know she can beat Ashley. :angel:

I love this DirecTV Interactive, now I get to see Tatiana! :hearts:

boffaloraa
Aug 30th, 2006, 09:46 PM
She's got a new outfit :wavey: Well it seems the one from the first round in new haven in a black version but it's not the white one :bounce:

boffaloraa
Aug 30th, 2006, 10:24 PM
6-3 Tati :bounce:

rseto
Aug 30th, 2006, 10:52 PM
great. they decide to show a minute of tati's match in the usa and she starts losing. :rolleyes:

hope she can turn it around.

TennisPlayingFox
Aug 30th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Tatiana def Harkleroad 6-3, 7-5! great win Tatiana!

selyoink
Aug 30th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Tati safely into the second round. Nice comeback from 2-5 down in the second set.

martirogi
Aug 30th, 2006, 11:23 PM
maybe there's hope for you yet tania!

do i forsee a us open quarterfinal? i think the voodoo doll does. :devil:

JS
Aug 30th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Good match Tati! :yeah:
She scared me a bit (like everybody here I guess), but in the end I'm quiet happy she did :p
She served really good, 8 aces, with on 2 on the last 2 points! :)
Good luck in second round!

tennisrulz8
Aug 31st, 2006, 12:29 AM
Great job Tati. 4/4 on break points. Yes!

willrock
Aug 31st, 2006, 12:47 AM
After her solid win, Tati is scheduled to play as soon as tomorrow.
Fourth match on the court4 (not televised :mad: )
Probably against Radwanska. I'm a little worried but hopefully Tati will win with no such difficulties.

selyoink
Aug 31st, 2006, 04:32 AM
Big match for Tati. She has a great chance at QFs. She needs to seize the opportunity. If Tati plays well she should be too good for Radwanska.

ZAK
Aug 31st, 2006, 05:28 AM
I SAW TATI'S MATCH LIVE TODAY!!!!!!!

It was incredible! Tatiana, as you probably have seen by now, looked amazing. She is even hotter in person. Her outfit was great especially the lower part. I sat pretty much directly across from her chair and tryed not to stare too much. I saw her mom and Dean, who looked kinda antsy throughout.

The first set was very solid. Tati held serve the whole way through and broke Ashley once. Harkleroad actually impressed me in a couple ways: she's gotten more agressive and is pretty good at net. The second set was weird, I missed the first three games because I was getting ice cream and while I was I was interviewed by the tennis channel (about ice cream mind you). When I got back, Tati was up a break but then she starting getting negative and shouted at Dean Goldfine, but it should be mentioned that Ashley was playing well so it wasn't a complete tank. Then at 2-5, Tati was all like time shut this bitch out. Thats what happened; Harkleroad lost her spark and Tati took complete control.

The thing about Tati's game that impressed me was her serve. Its a weapon. First serve constantly over 110 mph, hit quite a few aces. She hit three aces in the game that she served out the match. Plus her backhand, known as her weaker groundstroke, held up just fine. Overall she played very well apart from that 4 game walk-a-bout.

yukon145
Aug 31st, 2006, 05:57 AM
I SAW TATI'S MATCH LIVE TODAY!!!!!!!

It was incredible! Tatiana, as you probably have seen by now, looked amazing. She is even hotter in person. Her outfit was great especially the lower part. I sat pretty much directly across from her chair and tryed not to stare too much. I saw her mom and Dean, who looked kinda antsy throughout.

The first set was very solid. Tati held serve the whole way through and broke Ashley once. Harkleroad actually impressed me in a couple ways: she's gotten more agressive and is pretty good at net. The second set was weird, I missed the first three games because I was getting ice cream and while I was I was interviewed by the tennis channel (about ice cream mind you). When I got back, Tati was up a break but then she starting getting negative and shouted at Dean Goldfine, but it should be mentioned that Ashley was playing well so it wasn't a complete tank. Then at 2-5, Tati was all like time shut this bitch out. Thats what happened; Harkleroad lost her spark and Tati took complete control.

The thing about Tati's game that impressed me was her serve. Its a weapon. First serve constantly over 110 mph, hit quite a few aces. She hit three aces in the game that she served out the match. Plus her backhand, known as her weaker groundstroke, held up just fine. Overall she played very well apart from that 4 game walk-a-bout.

lucky bastard, sounds like a great time. i missed seeing this on TV but taped it, so i'll watch it later.

glad shes in round 2, but im a little worried about this young girl. people are talking her up alot. i hope its just hype, and Tati can win again tomorrow.

rseto
Aug 31st, 2006, 06:17 AM
thanks for the report ZAK! seems tati likes to yell at her coaches. when i saw her play in the past without a coach, she barely says anything on court.

keep up your play and serving, tati!

Magic07
Aug 31st, 2006, 07:56 AM
:worship: Good job Tati :worship:

FrenchY52
Aug 31st, 2006, 11:31 AM
ZAK :D
Well done Tati. Hopefully Radwanska isn't that good, c'mon

TatiAnnahølic
Aug 31st, 2006, 01:49 PM
Let's get back to work :devil:

http://img415.imageshack.us/img415/872/voodoodollgb0.jpg

Harju.
Aug 31st, 2006, 02:28 PM
Let's get back to work :devil:

http://img415.imageshack.us/img415/872/voodoodollgb0.jpg
:spit: :haha:

Great win, Tati. Told y'all that it shouldn't be a problem for Tati.
I still think that her match against Aga will not be as tough as y'all predicted, then again, after another 5 posts, I'd start getting nervous again. Depending on which Tati shows today, it'd be either a hit or a miss, so i'm going for the voodoo option :tape:.

Aga will be doing lots of dropshots and then lobs. Hope Tati is ready for that.

And OH MY, her serve WAS ON FIRE yesterday. Hope she continues to work on it and make it a real weapon :drool:

selyoink
Aug 31st, 2006, 09:20 PM
Tati will be playing very soon as Monfils has just lost.

willrock
Aug 31st, 2006, 09:32 PM
Yeah C'mon Tati :rocker2:

boffaloraa
Aug 31st, 2006, 10:08 PM
6-4 Tati :bounce: :bounce:

parissima
Aug 31st, 2006, 10:17 PM
Wow... Well done Tati for the previous match :) (And :worship: for the serve, keep up the good work!)

What's with the yelling at her coaches tho'? :scratch:

Thanks for the report, anyway, ZAK :) Sounds like you had a great time at the USO.

As for now, Tati won the first set against Radwanska... Allez Tati :D

parissima
Aug 31st, 2006, 10:37 PM
Tati is two points away from winning the second set...*fingers crossed*

One point away...

(Radwanska is serving)

40-30

:woohoo:

6/4 6/3
Congrats Tati :)

wurzelman
Aug 31st, 2006, 10:38 PM
Tati won 6-4 6-3 :bounce:

selyoink
Aug 31st, 2006, 10:48 PM
Well done Tati.

Now a huge match against Nadia. The draw is wide open. Lets hope Tati seizes the chance.

yukon145
Aug 31st, 2006, 10:50 PM
yes another win for Tati. glad she proved alot of people wrong who thought she was gonna lose.

lets hope she beats Petrova again, and that its on TV.

TennisPlayingFox
Aug 31st, 2006, 11:18 PM
Nice win Tati! good luck against Nadia!

ZAK
Sep 1st, 2006, 12:42 AM
Wonderful win :worship: She must be feeling confident

UDACHi
Sep 1st, 2006, 03:32 AM
i hope tati beats the crap out of nadia. :D

rseto
Sep 1st, 2006, 05:09 AM
nice to see a straightforward win from you, tati! go tati/sev!

Court 9 11:00 AM

1. Women's Doubles - 1st Rnd.
Melinda Czink (HUN)/Antonella Serra Zanetti (ITA)
vs. Maret Ani (EST)/Meilen Tu (USA)

2. Men's Doubles - 2nd Rnd.
Arnaud Clement (FRA)/Michael Llodra (FRA)
vs. Lukas Dlouhy (CZE)[9]/ Pavel Vizner (CZE)[9]

3. Women's Doubles - 1st Rnd.
Severine Bremond (FRA)/Tatiana Golovin (FRA)
vs. Lucie Hradecka (CZE)/Vladimira Uhlirova (CZE)

4. Men's Doubles - 1st Rnd.
Robby Ginepri (USA)/Robert Kendrick (USA)
vs. Jarkko Nieminen (FIN)/Graydon Oliver (USA)

ZAK
Sep 1st, 2006, 05:49 AM
I'm afraid Tati's 3rd round match is gonna get rained out on Saturday :(

Magic07
Sep 1st, 2006, 08:29 AM
Good win, don't stop there, next target: Petrova

ALLEZ TATI :bounce:

souam
Sep 1st, 2006, 11:31 AM
C'mon Tati and Sév! :bounce:

ZAK
Sep 1st, 2006, 07:27 PM
Tati and Sev d. Hradecka and Uhlirova 6-2 6-2 :D

selyoink
Sep 1st, 2006, 07:28 PM
Glad Tati and Sev won. Better yet it was nice and quick.

willrock
Sep 1st, 2006, 08:38 PM
Way to go girls! :yeah:

yukon145
Sep 1st, 2006, 09:15 PM
solid win in doubles, great score line.

JS
Sep 1st, 2006, 09:31 PM
Good win, with a good scoreline!
Keep going further and further in this US Open! :p

youkoulélé
Sep 1st, 2006, 09:34 PM
solid and quick win!!! that's a goint point!! :clap2:

tennisrulz8
Sep 1st, 2006, 11:35 PM
Good job on the doubles. and good luck next round.

ZAK
Sep 1st, 2006, 11:59 PM
Second round doubles will be against the crazy team of Jankovic/Mattek

rseto
Sep 2nd, 2006, 01:56 AM
tati has a busy schedule on saturday. with her singles match first, i have a feeling she'll get her match in even though it's going to rain.

Armstrong 11:00 AM

1. Women's Singles - 3rd Rnd.
Tatiana Golovin (FRA)[27] vs. Nadia Petrova (RUS)[5]

Not Before 1:00 PM
2. Women's Singles - 3rd Rnd.
Katarina Srebotnik (SLO)[22] vs. Lindsay Davenport (USA)[10]

3. Men's Singles - 2nd Rnd.
David Nalbandian (ARG)[4] vs. Marat Safin (RUS)

4. Men's Singles - 3rd Rnd.
Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)[15] vs. Novak Djokovic (SCG)[20]

Not Before 6:30 PM
5. Women's Singles - 3rd Rnd.
Amelie Mauresmo (FRA)[1] vs. Mara Santangelo (ITA)

Court 7 11:00 AM

1. Men's Doubles - 2nd Rnd.
Jonathan Erlich (ISR)[7]/Andy Ram (ISR)[7] vs. Jeff Coetzee (RSA)/Rogier Wassen (NED)

2. Men's Doubles - 2nd Rnd.
Alexander Peya (AUT)/Bjorn Phau (GER) vs. Martin Damm (CZE)[6]/Leander Paes (IND)[6]

3. Women's Doubles - 2nd Rnd.
Jelena Jankovic (SCG)/Bethanie Mattek (USA) vs. Severine Bremond (FRA)/Tatiana Golovin (FRA)

4. Mixed Doubles - 2nd Rnd.
Virginia Ruano Pascual (ESP)/Martin Garcia (ARG) vs. Kveta Peschke (CZE)/Martin Damm (CZE)

5. Mixed Doubles - 2nd Rnd.
Victoria Azarenka (BLR)/Max Mirnyi (BLR) vs. Nicole Pratt (AUS)/Paul Hanley (AUS)

ZAK
Sep 2nd, 2006, 02:01 AM
Hmmm first on. If she were anything but first on, I'd say she definitely won't be playing but since she is, she may play tomorrow. I still don't think it'll happen, and forget about doubles

selyoink
Sep 2nd, 2006, 04:50 AM
I wish Tati wasn't playing first. If it does rain as much as expected I don't Tati to have to play at all.

Harju.
Sep 2nd, 2006, 04:40 PM
Allez Tati! (Against Aga) Told y'all that it wouldn't be as tough as you guys thought.

Nadya decided to start winning at USO. :banghead:. Tati did own her but her last match was very close. Tati needs to start well to be in the match. And her serve needs to be on. All the best, Tati. :hug:

yukon145
Sep 2nd, 2006, 05:01 PM
they moved her match to court 10 and of course i can't see it anymore because DirecTV stopped showing 5 courts at once.

oh well. i hope she gets to play today because of the rain, and beats Petrova again.

selyoink
Sep 2nd, 2006, 06:08 PM
Play will be starting soon. I hope Tati is ready.

Harju.
Sep 2nd, 2006, 06:09 PM
Heard the wind is pretty strong. :scared:
Good luck, Tati.

rseto
Sep 2nd, 2006, 06:10 PM
Nadya decided to start winning at USO. :banghead:. Tati did own her but her last match was very close. Tati needs to start well to be in the match. And her serve needs to be on. All the best, Tati. :hug:

i didn't even think petrova would still be playing now before the us open began but she's won some matches. and playing with martina n. might have also given her some confidence. on an outside court, whoever deals best with the wind should win.

go tati!

selyoink
Sep 2nd, 2006, 08:11 PM
Tati's match has been cancelled. It is no longer on the updated schedule of play for today.

ZAK
Sep 2nd, 2006, 08:13 PM
Tati's match has been cancelled. It is no longer on the updated schedule of play for today.

Yup. Probably for the best; she doesn't need to be waiting around all night

Harju.
Sep 2nd, 2006, 08:26 PM
and i can finally get back to sleep peacefully.

for the one day i can stay up late to follow tati's score, it has to rain :(.

yukon145
Sep 3rd, 2006, 03:19 AM
Court 10 11:00 AM
1.Women's Singles - 3rd Rnd.
Tatiana Golovin (FRA)[27]vs.Nadia Petrova (RUS)[5]
followed by
2.Men's Singles - 3rd Rnd.
Richard Gasquet (FRA)[25]vs.Marco Chiudinelli (SUI)
3.Men's Singles - 3rd Rnd.
Lukasz Kubot (POL)vs.Nikolay Davydenko (RUS)[7]
4.Women's Doubles - 1st Rnd.
Yuliana Fedak (UKR)/Tatiana Perebiynis (UKR)vs.Daniela Hantuchova (SVK)[4]/Ai Sugiyama (JPN)[4] T/F 6-4

good luck Tati.

rseto
Sep 3rd, 2006, 06:26 AM
doubles too.

Court 13 11:00 AM

1. Women's Singles - 3rd Rnd.
Dinara Safina (RUS)[12] vs. Jarmila Gajdosova (SVK)

2. Women's Doubles - 2nd Rnd.
Stephanie Cohen-Aloro (FRA)/Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez (ESP) vs. Liezel Huber (RSA)[11]/Sania Mirza (IND)[11]

3. Mixed Doubles - 2nd Rnd.
Anastassia Rodionova (RUS)/Kevin Ullyett (ZIM) vs. Anna-Lena Groenefeld (GER)/Frantisek Cermak (CZE)

4. Women's Doubles - 2nd Rnd.
Jelena Jankovic (SCG)/Bethanie Mattek (USA) vs. Severine Bremond (FRA)/Tatiana Golovin (FRA)

AnneSo006
Sep 3rd, 2006, 09:22 AM
:) Good luck Tati for your third round! :)
You will defeat Petrova I'm sure!
And make a great double with Severine! I'm sure you can go pretty far in the tournament in simple of course... but also in double! ;)

Allez Tatiiiiiii !!!!

Harju.
Sep 3rd, 2006, 12:14 PM
I just watched the Tati-Ashley match.
Tati was very solid in the first set. Her serve was just killing Ashley. And I like how she tried to charge to the net and volleyed away some winners. :drool: She may not be the greatest volleyer, but I give it up to her for trying. I guess playing doubles with the scrubs all this while help a little.

She was actually not that bad on the second set, it's just that she started to make more silly mistakes and Ashley was just being very aggressive. There were a couple of points where there were long rallies and Tati was retrieving like a mad cow. Her footwork seemed to get back to pre injury time. Most prolly because she lost a little weight and her movement didn't look that heavy anymore. By 5-5, Ash practically gave up and she was all fed up with the ball boys. Lol. She threw the towel and stuff. All and all, Tati serve made the difference on that match. She did look like she changed her service motion. Seems there's more kick into it.

If she rocks that serve today against Nadya, I see her a chance for her to win. Good luck Tati.

boffaloraa
Sep 3rd, 2006, 04:02 PM
7-5 Tati :bounce: :bounce:

Harju.
Sep 3rd, 2006, 04:10 PM
Not a good match from Tati seemingly. Her stats is awful. Nadya sort of brain farted.
Pick it up in the second, Tati :smash:

Harju.
Sep 3rd, 2006, 04:44 PM
5-5 in the second now.

W/UE
Tati 14/16
Nadya 32/33
:o

panenka
Sep 3rd, 2006, 04:50 PM
6-6 now go tati !!

boffaloraa
Sep 3rd, 2006, 04:58 PM
7-6 Petrova, Tati is waiting too much the mistakes of Nadia, she needs to do more winners :(

Harju.
Sep 3rd, 2006, 05:02 PM
Agreed. She's prolly playing defensive game. She needs to pick it up and go for her shots.

panenka
Sep 3rd, 2006, 05:57 PM
yeah she wins !
7-5; 6-7; 6-3

TennisPlayingFox
Sep 3rd, 2006, 05:58 PM
Nice win Tati! Good luck against Anna!

selyoink
Sep 3rd, 2006, 06:00 PM
Tati is amazing! I thought she was finished when she couldn't convert on 5 break points in second game of 3rd set. But she kept fighting.

Biggest match of her life against Chakvetadze. A chance for her first slam QF.

martirogi
Sep 3rd, 2006, 06:05 PM
i can't believe the hobag did it. crazy. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Harju.
Sep 3rd, 2006, 06:07 PM
I told y'all her draw is so wide open that it'd be a big :help: for Tati not reaching the 4th Round. You can see that Tati wants it bad. She was fighting all the way. From the ifrst set, she was down 2-5 and came back to win 7-5. Third set was just so tensed in the first few games because it was very close. Congrats on making it to the 4th round Tati :yeah:

Now, take out Chaky :devil:

UDACHi
Sep 3rd, 2006, 06:08 PM
first gs 4r since wimbledon 2004. :eek: :worship:

viva tati! :banana:

selyoink
Sep 3rd, 2006, 06:11 PM
i can't believe the hobag did it. crazy. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

You must learn to have faith in Tati.

I hope Tati pulls out of doubles today. It will suck for Sev but she does not need to be playing doubles after her marathon win.

Harju.
Sep 3rd, 2006, 06:13 PM
Tati's net approach is 11/12 = 92% :drool:

The double is definately paying off.

rseto
Sep 3rd, 2006, 06:14 PM
our little fighter tati is back!

she might have to play tomorrow; hope she has something left for the next round.

yukon145
Sep 3rd, 2006, 06:15 PM
im so fucking happy! i thought she was done for in the first set, and then those early games in the 3rd set were so long. im glad she proved me wrong and was able to serve the match out too. she was only broken once the whole match.

good luck in the 4th round Tati!

Harju.
Sep 3rd, 2006, 06:19 PM
she's wearing the white version of the black slutty outfit :drool:

souam
Sep 3rd, 2006, 06:38 PM
Tati's back and ready to rumble! :rocker2:

I still hope she'll play doubles. So hopefully it will rain and it will be postponed...:devil:

If she doesn't i'll completely understand. She can beat Chakvetadze. Finger crossed hoping for a new progress in Tati's career. ;)

ZAK
Sep 3rd, 2006, 06:50 PM
ALLEZ :rocker2:

ZAK
Sep 3rd, 2006, 07:16 PM
She was only broken once in the entire match :worship::worship::worship:

x Chu x
Sep 3rd, 2006, 08:42 PM
great job :worship: next bitch to take down anna

tennisrulz8
Sep 3rd, 2006, 09:24 PM
Yes, I'm so happy for Tati. Hope she can win next round too.

yukon145
Sep 3rd, 2006, 09:37 PM
Tati lost her doubles match, but im sorta glad she did so she can rest up for singles.

chakvetadze is playing doubles now too, im hoping for a really really long match :devil:

AnneSo006
Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:16 PM
Tati I'm so proud of what you've done in that crazy match!!!
I was in tears when you won!!! I was so excited and happy for you!!! :)

I hope you will have a good night to recover from your long match... because you will certainely play tomorrow!!!

Allez Tati! Continue comme ça!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

selyoink
Sep 4th, 2006, 12:43 AM
I am also glad Tati is out of doubles. Now all her energy can be devoted to singles.

ZAK
Sep 4th, 2006, 01:08 AM
I am also glad Tati is out of doubles. Now all her energy can be devoted to singles.

I am also happy they lost pretty quickly. It would have sucked to play a long match and lose, atleast she didn't spend a lot of energy

Tomorrow:

Grandstand 11:00 AM

1. Women's Singles - 4th Rnd.
Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS)[6] vs. Jelena Jankovic (SCG)[19]

Not Before 1:00 PM
2. Men's Singles - 3rd Rnd.
Marat Safin (RUS) vs. Olivier Rochus (BEL)[26]

3. Women's Singles - 4th Rnd.
Anna Chakvetadze (RUS)[23] vs. Tatiana Golovin (FRA)[27]

4. Mixed Doubles - 2nd Rnd.
Martina Navratilova (USA)[5]/Bob Bryan (USA)[5] vs. Tiantian Sun (CHN)/Julian Knowle (AUT)

yukon145
Sep 4th, 2006, 03:28 AM
best of luck tomorrow Tati!

~lollipop_girl~
Sep 4th, 2006, 07:53 AM
I'm so proud of Tati beating Nadia like that... To come from 2-5 down is an incredible fight against anyone, but to do it against someone who is as good as Nadia is just :worship:
And awesome to see that ankle trouble seems to be gone! :D
:bounce:
vs Chaky will be a very interesting match!

willrock
Sep 4th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Beat Chaky, Tati!
A quarterfinal would be awesome, great, wonderful, but much deserved after all those injuries!
C'mon Tat :rocker2:

selyoink
Sep 4th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Good Luck today Tati. Please give us more to cheer about.

Harju.
Sep 4th, 2006, 03:22 PM
This will be the toughest opponent Tati will face in this tournament. Chaky's been playing well this summer. Again, Tati needs to rack as much aces as possible and keep the serve's percentage high. Chaky's serve won't be as tough as Nadya, so I hope she can attack some of them. Her return has been surprisingly impressive too. Good luck, Tati. Come on, reach your first QF :hearts:

rseto
Sep 4th, 2006, 04:09 PM
This will be the toughest opponent Tati will face in this tournament. Chaky's been playing well this summer. Again, Tati needs to rack as much aces as possible and keep the serve's percentage high. Chaky's serve won't be as tough as Nadya, so I hope she can attack some of them. Her return has been surprisingly impressive too. Good luck, Tati. Come on, reach your first QF :hearts:

yeah. just from looking at the stats, i hope she can be more aggressive in this match than against petrova.

get one more win for a QF, tati!

Harju.
Sep 4th, 2006, 04:20 PM
yeah. just from looking at the stats, i hope she can be more aggressive in this match than against petrova.

get one more win for a QF, tati!
One more thing to note is her net approach. 11/12 is impressive effort. And I'm going to say this again, the double did help to improve her volley. Hope she plays more doubles in future (even though she's playing with scrubs most of the times). And I have yet to download the match. (thanks again boffaloraa :worship: ), but it seems that Tati knew coming to this match, she just needed to be consistent and not making silly mistakes. Nadya tends to spray her shots.

I only saw Chaky once and that was years ago. But I know she tends to blow up emotionally when she's down. I'm not being mean, but I hope she's having her melt down or whatever as long as Tati reaches QF :tape:

Lillibet
Sep 4th, 2006, 05:53 PM
I am always late on congratulating players.. but here goes anyway!

WELL DONE TATIANA!! :bounce:

It would be great for Tati to reach the 1/4 final and play Maria, if they both get there. It wouldn't be so bad if Maria were to lose to Tati, as opposed to anyone else... but first, she must get past Chakvetadze.. good luck! :)

TatiAnnahølic
Sep 4th, 2006, 07:31 PM
One more thing to note is her net approach. 11/12 is impressive effort. And I'm going to say this again, the double did help to improve her volley. Hope she plays more doubles in future (even though she's playing with scrubs most of the times). And I have yet to download the match. (thanks again boffaloraa :worship: ), but it seems that Tati knew coming to this match, she just needed to be consistent and not making silly mistakes. Nadya tends to spray her shots.

I only saw Chaky once and that was years ago. But I know she tends to blow up emotionally when she's down. I'm not being mean, but I hope she's having her melt down or whatever as long as Tati reaches QF :tape:I saw the last two sets and I can tell you that she didn't volley once. Those net points come from net-approaches, not volleys sadly :o

yukon145
Sep 4th, 2006, 09:14 PM
she wins 6-3, 6-2!!!

selyoink
Sep 4th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Tati has done it!!! :worship: :hearts:

She won 6-3, 6-2. She saved all 5 break points she faced and only needed 2 match points.

rseto
Sep 4th, 2006, 09:17 PM
she looked a little nervous serving out the match but she hung in there.

congrats tati! :worship:

ZAK
Sep 4th, 2006, 09:17 PM
ALLEZ Tati! Didn't get broken once! That serve :worship:

Lillibet
Sep 4th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Yay! My baby Golovin got through! And I got to watch the whole match.. woohoo!
I'm very happy, I feel like singing a song.. but I will resist the temptation. It would hurt your ears to much.
Go Tati... yeah!

TennisPlayingFox
Sep 4th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Great job Tatiana! Good luck in the quarterfinals!

parissima
Sep 4th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Oh my god that's awesome... Unfortunatey, i couldn't watch the match :o

But it's great...

QF now! :woohoo:

tennisrulz8
Sep 5th, 2006, 04:11 AM
Great job Tati. I am so happy!

x Chu x
Sep 5th, 2006, 05:40 AM
great job tati, you really took control of the 2nd set. and TY for ending the match quickly so i could rush over to armstrong and get amazing seats for Masha's match.
Bonne Chance!

AnneSo006
Sep 5th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Allez Tati !!! You have the skills to beat Maria!!!
I want you in the semi-finale! :bounce:

souam
Sep 5th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Just do your best now Tati! ;)

Harju.
Sep 5th, 2006, 01:48 PM
:banana: :banana:

I'm glad Tati takes full advantage of her joke draw. Her serve was solid again in this match. I'm loving it. Her movement is definately much better now compared to post injury time. She kept on coming to net and also giving drop shots yesterday. She's looking fab with the new slutty outfit. And now reach her first QF in GS :hearts:.

Now the real competition begins. Against, Sharapiss, she needs to play much more aggressive and dictate the points ala Miami when she saved the 4 MPs on the eight game of the second set. Hopefully Dean will give her some tips. For now, get some rest :hug:

Harju.
Sep 5th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Tatiana Golovin, 18, who was born in Russia and trained for much of her youth in Florida, advanced with a 6-3, 6-2 victory over No. 23 Anna Chakvetadze of Russia. On Sunday, she upset the fifth-seeded Nadia Petrova. Golovin, seeded 27th, is gathering momentum again after it was cut short in the semifinals of the Key Biscayne tournament, where she tore ankle ligaments while giving Sharapova nothing but trouble.

Now, guess who is waiting for Golovin in her first Grand Slam quarterfinal? “I’m going to strap up everything this time,” Golovin said of facing Sharapova. “I’m going to strap up the ankles, the wrists, my head — everything.”

LMAO Tati :haha:

Harju.
Sep 5th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Tati moves back to Top 25 (#23) with the win :banana:

yukon145
Sep 5th, 2006, 02:32 PM
great Tati quotes, thanks V-lix!

rseto
Sep 5th, 2006, 04:28 PM
i saw some stats and in 3 of her 4 matches, tati has a 1st serve percentage of 70% or better. it seems her dropshot has improved too which is nice. she must also be very confident with all of the wins these past 2 weeks. hope she can keep up all her good play.

go tati!

rseto
Sep 5th, 2006, 04:34 PM
great Tati quotes, thanks V-lix!

i want to see her full interview. :sad:

~lollipop_girl~
Sep 5th, 2006, 04:39 PM
:woohoo: I thought that Chaky would cause some trouble but nope, Tati was way too good for her! :bounce:

Now vs Masha! :sad:
I don't know who I want to win but I want Tati to make it at least a close 3 setter! :D

:haha: The strapping everything could be a very interesting new fashion trend started by Tats! :p

martirogi
Sep 5th, 2006, 04:41 PM
thanks for the quote V-lix. it is very inspirational for my signature :devil:

ZAK
Sep 5th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Oh man :lol::lol::lol:. Thats what I'm talking about; dis girl is crazy!

willrock
Sep 5th, 2006, 11:27 PM
:haha:
I've just seen the quote.
Her humour is so cute :lol: :hug:

yukon145
Sep 6th, 2006, 01:07 AM
Arthur Ashe 7:00 PM

1. Women's Singles - Qtr. Finals
Maria Sharapova (RUS)[3] vs. Tatiana Golovin (FRA)[27]

best of luck Tati!

selyoink
Sep 6th, 2006, 05:08 AM
Can't wait to watch Tati tomorrow night. I hope she plays well.

ZAK
Sep 6th, 2006, 05:52 AM
Hopefully Tati will get the crowd on her side like in Miami :hearts:, thats was a magical night in terms of the atmoaphere

FrenchY52
Sep 6th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Tati my darling !! We've been waiting this moment for so much time !! :hearts: Hopefully you can beat Sharapova ! Allez !!!!!

andrewbroad
Sep 6th, 2006, 08:21 PM
=======
US OPEN (Flushing Meadows, New York, USA; outdoor hard; Grand Slam)
======= http://www.usopen.org/ (http://www.usopen.org/)
Photos
------

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/players/wtaq565.html (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/players/wtaq565.html)
http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news/?c=news_photos&p=golovin (http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news/?c=news_photos&p=golovin)
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=133235&page=156 (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=133235&page=156) (to 161)
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/photogallery/ (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/photogallery/)
Search Getty Images for "golovin"

IMO, Tatiana beat Anna Chakvetadze not only at tennis; she also won the beauty-contest (judging by these photos). Although no longer drop-dead gorgeous like she was two years ago, Tatiana seems to have got rid of much of the unappealing bulk on her body - particularly her upper legs. Anna is cuter, but Tati is sexier, and she smiles!

srg1's photos:
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=259540 (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=259540)

Chris Gerby's US Open photos (many players):
http://www.tennis-ontheline.com/06usogal.htm (http://www.tennis-ontheline.com/06usogal.htm)

Tennis.info's US Open photos (beware of motion-sickness!):
http://www.tennis.info/US6.html (http://www.tennis.info/US6.html)

Glam Slam US Open party:
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/photogallery/ (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/photogallery/) ("Glam Slam")
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=258467 (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=258467)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK3w5yhfhpw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK3w5yhfhpw)

Video - last 9 minutes of Golovin v Chakvetadze:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9vepUc2xyk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9vepUc2xyk)

-----------
First round (Monday 28th August)
-----------

Nice winner, nice loser:
[font=Courier New]+ TATIANA GOLOVIN [27] d. Ashley Harkleroad, 6-3 7-5

Tatiana: "J'ai eu une baisse de régime au début du deuxième set et je me suis retrouvée à 2-5, mais j'ai pu me reprendre. Physiquement, tout va mieux. Ma saison est vraiment partie à Cagnes-sur-Mer avec la Fed Cup."

("I had a dip in form at the start of the second set and I found myself at 2-5, but I was able to begin again. Physically, everything is better. My season really started at Cagnes-sur-Mer with the Fed Cup.")

------------
Second round (Thursday 30th August)
------------

+ TATIANA GOLOVIN [27] d. Agnieszka Radwanska, 6-4 6-3

-----------
Third round (Sunday 3rd September)
-----------

+ TATIANA GOLOVIN [27] d. NADIA PETROVA [5], 7-5 6-7 (4/7) 6-3

I had a good feeling that Tatiana would make Petrova pay for her recent poor form, despite Petrova's blowouts of her previous two opponents.

Tatiana had won her two previous encounters with Petrova, and the French have a saying: jamais deux sans trois! :)

The match started at approximately 11:10 EDT, and I followed live scores - casually at first but with increasing intensity - at www.usopen.org (http://www.usopen.org/). Here are my comments as I wrote them at the time:

First Set:
GOLOVIN _*___* *@*@* 7
PETROVA * *@* *_____ 5

The game with Petrova serving at 3-1 was a long one; unfortunately Tati couldn't pull out the break.

Petrova also had a long game serving for the first set at 5-3; Tatiana broke back after a couple of deuces, then held to 15 to make it 5-5. Petrova led 30/15, but Tatiana won three points in a row to break for 6-5!

Tatiana serving for the first set at 6-5: 0/40 (3 BPs) -> 40/40, ad Tati (SP #1), Deuce #2, ad Tati (SP #2), Tatiana won the first set 7-5 at 12:02 EDT!

Second Set:
GOLOVIN _* * * * *_ 6(4)
PETROVA * * * * * * 7(7)

Tatiana recovered from *2-3 (0/30).
But she wasted a 15/30 opening on Petrova's serve at 4-4.

6-6 tiebreak (all scores from Tatiana's perspective): *1/0, 1/2*, 2/2*, *2/4 -> 4/4*, *4/6 (2 SPs), Petrova won the second set 7-6 (7/4) at 12:57.

Petrova called for the trainer to tape her right foot.

Third Set:
GOLOVIN * * *@* * 6
PETROVA _* *___*_ 3

Tatiana wasted five break-points with Petrova serving at 0-1 (15/40 + three ads).

Tatiana serving 1-1: 15/30, 40/30, 40/40, ad Tati, Deuce #2, ad Tati, Deuce #3, ad Tati, Deuce #4, ad Petrova (BP), Deuce #5, ad Tati, Deuce #6, ad Tati, held.

Petrova called for the trainer again, this time to have her left thigh massaged.

Tatiana serving 2-2: 30/30, 30/40 (BP), 40/40, ad Tati, Deuce #2, ad Tati, Deuce #3, ad Tati, held.

All those missed break-points must be playing on the mind of Petrova, especially after the terrible summer she's had.

Petrova serving 2-3: 15/0, 15/40 (2 BPs), broken.

OUI! ALLEZ TATI! :bounce:

Tatiana serving 4-2: 30/0 -> 30/30, 40/30, held.
Petrova serving to stay in the match at 2-5: 0/15, 15/15, 15/30, 30/30, 30/40 (MP #1), 30/30, 40/30, held.

Agony for me, as Tatiana's 'match-point' was apparently a scoreboard-error. Come on Tati - don't choke now!

Tatiana serving for the match at 5-3: 40/0 (3 MPs), Tatiana won 7-5 6-7 (4/7) 6-3 at 13:57.

--------------------
Fourth-round preview (as I wrote it at the time)
--------------------

If Flushing Meadows were in Birmingham (and, God willing, some day it will be), I would be making emergency-arrangements to attend!

I was actually lucky enough to attend the first-ever Tatiana v Anna match in the quarter-finals of Birmingham 2005 (the winner would face Maria Sharapova, just as the winner here will if Maria beats Li,Na).

Tatiana won that match 6-4 7-6 (7/3), much to my approval at the time. But Anna has since overtaken Tatiana as my favourite player outside my Eternal Fanship: watching her lose to my red-hot Vera Zvonarëva at Birmingham and Eastbourne 2006, it was clear that Anna is a much better player now than she was back then: now with groundstrokes of flairsome power! :worship:

Both players have very good serves, and Anna excels at the one-two punch. It's hard to read the direction of Anna's groundstrokes, and she can now play good spreading rallies, make her opponent's end of the court look very wide, and hit lots of winners.

Tatiana is more of a counterpuncher, consistent rather than spectacular, with intelligent shot-placement and rally-construction, good command of depth, excellent footwork and a pretty big forehand. She tends to play to the level of her opponent, going for her shots more against top players.

I think if I was going to induct Tatiana into my Eternal Fanship, I would have done so by now - I have already come close to doing so on three separate occasions, only to find her tennis not up to Eternal Fanship standards when I watch her on video. The way Anna's game is improving makes me think that she might be my next fanee.

Anna beat Tatiana 6-4 6-4 at San Diego 2005 - their only other previous meeting. And I expect Anna to win this one, as she has cruised through her first three rounds losing an average of six games a match, while Tatiana played a marathon of almost three hours against Petrova yesterday.

TATIANA GOLOVIN [27]:
1r + Ashley Harkleroad, 6-3 7-5
2r + Agnieszka Radwanska, 6-4 6-3
3r + NADIA PETROVA [5], 7-5 6-7 (4/7) 6-3

ANNA CHAKVETADZE [23]:
1r + Martina Suchá, 6-4 6-1
2r + Alyona Bondarenko, 7-6 (8/6) 6-0
3r + Victoria Azarenka, 6-4 6-3

Anna is ultracute, with a distinctive ponytail and so many winsome on-court habits (the way her eyes bulge when she's running for a dropshot, the way she blows with her lips when she's waiting to receive, the Bojangles jumps she does after making errors, and even the wasp-chewing and the tears!). And she has a beautiful nose, and just a daintily-sculptured face all round.

Tatiana is still very attractive, but no longer drop-dead gorgeous like she was two years ago (the last time she reached the fourth round of a Grand Slam - two of them in fact). Her body is bulkier, her hair suited her better when it was blonde, and she dresses much less sexily now, wearing her famous microshorts only in practice. But what the loss of these attributes does draw attention to, is that she has beautiful brown eyes and a very nice mouth. And her grunt is the sexiest sound in tennis.

I have no clear loyalty to either Anna or Tatiana for this match, but right now I'm leaning towards Anna... whilst still carrying a two-year torch for Tatiana.

Matt Cronin for www.usopen.org (http://www.usopen.org/): "The last contest in the top half of the draw is a pick 'em between ANNA CHAKVETADZE and TATIANA GOLOVIN. I love Golovin's commitment to grind out matches, her spirit and her willingness to mix it up with the elite players. But she's going to be tired after a brutal three-set win over Nadia Petrova, and Chakvetadze has a little more variety and just as much spunk. The question is, will the Russian mentally melt down late in the third set and begin shedding tears? I don't think so, because I see Chakvetadze zoning and winning in straight sets."

------------
Fourth round (Monday 4th September)
------------

Nice winner, nice loser:
+ TATIANA GOLOVIN [27] d. ANNA CHAKVETADZE [23], 6-3 6-2

The match was much closer than the scoreline implies: 91 minutes and plenty of deuce-games, but I'm disappointed that Anna couldn't make a better match of it.

Clair Maciel for www.usopen.org (http://www.usopen.org/):
>>>
Chakvetadze's fourth-round appearance was also a US Open career best for her, but she just did not have enough game to beat Golovin on Monday.

Both teenagers displayed some exciting rallies during the match, but it was Golovin who made the fewest unforced errors to gain the edge.

In the sixth game [of the second set], Chakvetadze picked up her level of play, testing Golovin and threatening to break on four deuce points by keeping Golovin on the run and hitting big shots during key moments. But Golovin's huge serve was too much for Chakvetadze, and she held on to extend her lead to 5-1 before closing the match on serve two games later.
<<<

Wintermute (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=8985661):
>>>
Anna's first serve was not working at all. She double faulted in each of her first three service games. She was looking pretty annoyed with herself. Also she was having great difficulty finding her range on her groundstrokes and many landed a foot beyond the baseline. She didn't seem to be injecting the variety of pace that she normally does - a lot of relatively slow balls. She only started to show glimpses of her true ability at 0-4 down in the second set which is kinda too late. All of this seems to indicate a recurrence of her injury. I only saw her flexing her right arm once during the match though and she didn't call a trainer.
<snip>
Tati overall played very solidly. She generally didn't do more than was needed and she waited for Anna to make the error. She also served very well. <snip>
<<<

johnoo: "anna played a sloppy tentative match a bit of belief and she could have really made it close."

The match started at 15:41 EDT on Grandstand Court, and I followed live scores at www.usopen.org (http://www.usopen.org/). Here are my comments as I wrote them at the time:

First Set:
CHAKVET _* *___*_ 3
GOLOVIN * * *@* * 6

Tati serving 0-0: 30/0 -> 30/40 (BP), 40/40, ad Tati, Deuce #2, ad Tati, held.

An early indication of the kind of match we can expect: Anna is a gritty fighter, while Tati loves to choke on her leads (although she did hold her nerve against Nadia Petrova).

Anna serving 0-1: 0/15, 30/15, 30/40 (BP), 40/40, ad Tati (BP #2)... held.
Tati serving 1-1: 30/0, held.
Anna serving 1-2: 0/30, 15/30, 15/40 (2 BPs) -> 40/40, ad Tati (BP #3), Deuce #2, ad Anna, held.

Tatiana could easily be up 4-0, had she not wasted five break-points so far!

Tati serving 2-2: 0/30 -> 40/30, held.
Anna serving 2-3: 15/0, 15/15, 40/15 -> 40/40, ad Anna, Deuce #2, ad Anna, Deuce #3, ad Tati (BP), Deuce #4, ad Tati (BP #2), broken.

Seventh time lucky for Tati! I think it's much more important for Tati to get off to a good start than Anna, because Tati's the one who played an almost-three-hour marathon yesterday.

Tati serving 4-2: 0/15, 30/15, 30/30, 40/30, 40/40, ad Tati, held.
Anna serving to stay in the first set at 2-5: 15/0, 15/15, 15/30, 40/30, held.
Tati serving for the first set at 5-3: 0/15, 40/15 (2 SPs), 40/30, Tati won the first set 6-3 at 16:29 (48m).

Second Set:
CHAKVET ____* *_ 2
GOLOVIN @*@* * * 6

Anna serving 0-0: 15/15, 15/30, 40/30, 40/40, ad Tati (BP), Deuce #2, ad Tati (BP #2), broken.

Well, I didn't really expect to find Tati up a set and a break after yesterday's marathon! She is getting many more break-points on Anna's serve than Anna is on hers (Tati has now broken twice from 9 BPs, Anna 0 from 1). Tati can afford to be profligate... so far (Anna could still make a big comeback).

Tati serving 1-0: 15/0, 30/15, 30/30, 40/30, 40/40, ad Anna (BP), Deuce #2, ad Tati, Deuce #3, ad Tati, held.

Tati has now won six of the last seven games, and I have to wonder whether it's Anna who is suffering physically - perhaps a recurrence of the right-forearm strain with which she retired from Montréal and New Haven?

Anna serving 0-2: 0/15, 15/15, 15/40 (2 BPs), broken.

Or perhaps Anna is just freezing in her first Grand Slam fourth round while Tati, though younger, has been there twice before.

Whatever it is, I can imagine a lot of wasps and tears from Anna round about now! ;) There's no way back for her now unless Tati has a major choke or sprains her ankle again.

Tati serving 3-0: 40/0, 40/15, 40/30, held.
Anna serving 0-4: 15/0, 15/15, 40/15, held.

That's only the second game Anna has won in the last ten. But she won't be fighting only to add respectability to the scoreline; I think she's ambitious enough to be pushing for a win even now!
Especially against Tatiana, who is still saddled with the "I Choke" label, and would surely run out of gas if this went to a third set.

TheBoiledEgg: "Anna's been slow-balling all thru match
"got a feeling her arm is still hurting and hasnt been able to hit thru the ball"

Tati serving 4-1: 0/30, 15/30, 30/30, 30/40 (BP), 40/40, ad Tati, Deuce #2, ad Tati, Deuce #3, ad Anna (BP #2), Deuce #4, ad Tati, held.

That could well have been the key game of the whole match, and I wish Anna had taken one of those break-points, because things would have got very interesting at 4-2 with the momentum in Anna's favour.

5-1 doesn't give Anna much time to dig in, although the last game is often the hardest to win when you're in sight of as important a victory as Tati is now, having never reached the quarter-finals of a Grand Slam yet, and being prone to choke.

Anna serving 1-5: held to love.
Tati serving for the match at 5-2: 15/0, 15/30, 40/30 (MP #1), 40/40, ad Anna (BP), Deuce #2, ad Tati (MP #2), Tati won 6-3 6-2 at 17:12 (second set 43m, match 1h31m).

All too easy. I was rooting for Anna to extend the match - not that I wanted Tati to lose from 6-3 *5-2 and two match-points up.

On the other hand, Tati needed an easy victory to have any chance against Maria Sharapova in the quarter-finals, after Tati's three-hour marathon against Petrova. I mean, my ultimate loyalty is to Maria all the way to the title (since Maria is the only member of my Eternal Fanship left in the draw), but I would be disappointed if Tatiana didn't give her a good match, as she's done in all three of their previous meetings.

But this match was much closer than the scoreline implies: a 6-3 6-2 match usually takes about 70 minutes, but this one took 91. Some quick three-setters take about 90 minutes! There were a lot of close, deucy games in this match.

Statistics
----------

Tatiana had a positive W:UE ratio of 23:21, while Anna's was a negative 25:29 (they were both 12:14 in the first set).

Tatiana got 70% of her first serves in, winning 68% of the points when she did so, and 52% on second serve (Anna 56%, 64% and 43%). Tatiana's first-serve percentages deteriorated in the second set while her second-serve percentage improved.

Tatiana served four aces and two double faults, while Anna was disappointing with 6 double faults and only one ace.

Tatiana served bigger than Anna: fastest 113-109 mph, average first serve 102-100 mph, second serve 86-83mph. These speeds are comparable with Maria Sharapova and Nicole Vaidišová!

Tatiana broke 3 times from 10 break-points (only once from 7 in the first set), while Anna had 5 break-points and wasted them all.

They approached the net 14 times each, Anna winning 9 points, Tatiana 7.

In points, Tatiana won 77-63 (first set 41-33, second 36-30).

------------------
Quarter-final draw
------------------

* AMÉLIE MAURESMO [1] d. DINARA SAFINA [12]
* MARIA SHARAPOVA [3] v TATIANA GOLOVIN [27]
* JELENA JANKOVIC [19] d. ELENA DEMENTIEVA [4]
* JUSTINE HENIN-HARDENNE [2] d. LINDSAY DAVENPORT [10]

Sharapova v Golovin
-------------------

This promises to be the match of the tournament as far as I'm concerned, as their previous encounters have been highly entertaining in tennis-terms, not to mention sex-appeal! ;) It's always something special when Maria and Tatiana meet.

I attended their Birmingham 2004 final, and it was one of the best days of my life (with the Super Maria Sisters winning the doubles also). Tatiana played an excellent first set as Maria made errors, but then it was Tatiana making errors, and Maria won 4-6 6-2 6-1.

I also attended their Birmingham 2005 semi-final. Maria had set-point with Tatiana serving at 2-5 (30/40), but Tatiana fought back to 5-5 with a series of brilliant winners. Maria went on to win 7-5 6-1, as Tatiana was affected in the second set by problems with her right foot.

They met again in the Miami 2006 semi-finals. Maria led 6-3 5-1, with four match-points at 5-3, but Tatiana staged a dramatic recovery to take the second set on a tiebreak. Maria was leading *4-3 in the third set when Tatiana sprained her left ankle and had to retire - an injury which kept her out for three months (apart from a first-round loss at the French Open), and which I don't think is 100% healed even now.

Their routes to the quarter-finals:

TATIANA GOLOVIN [27]:
1r + Ashley Harkleroad, 6-3 7-5
2r + Agnieszka Radwanska, 6-4 6-3
3r + NADIA PETROVA [5], 7-5 6-7 (4/7) 6-3
4r + ANNA CHAKVETADZE [23], 6-3 6-2

MARIA SHARAPOVA [3]:
1r + Michaëlla Krajícek, 6-3 6-0
2r + Emilie Loit, 6-0 6-1
3r + ELENA LIKHOVTSEVA [32], 6-3 6-2
4r + LI,NA [24], 6-4 6-2

Although Maria was in terrifying form for the first two rounds, her statistics have deteriorated dramatically since then, even though her final scorelines look easy.

Tatiana scored an unexpected and comprehensive victory over Anna Chakvetadze just a day after upsetting Petrova in a marathon of almost three hours. Now that she's had a day off, she seems poised to give Maria another good match - especially if Tatiana is injury-free, which wasn't the case in any of their previous encounters.

My loyalty is to Maria because she is a member of my Eternal Fanship, and this is her best chance to win a Grand Slam since Wimbledon 2004. I don't want another Mauresmo v Henin-Hardenne final, which is what would inevitably happen if Maria lost to Tatiana.

Matt Cronin for www.usopen.org (http://www.usopen.org/):
>>>
The last time that MARIA SHARAPOVA and TATIANA GOLOVIN played, the Frenchwoman had her on the ropes in the Miami semifinals and then had to retire with a bad ankle injury. It's revenge time for the teen they call Tati, a steady, hard-hitting sort who loves the spotlight as much as Sharapova does. Golovin is very chatty and plays like it, unleashing a barrage of shots that don't end until the conversation about who should have won the point has dried up.

Yes, she can hang with Sharapova in most rallies and is a far better mover, but Maria has a bigger forehand and is serving way better than she did in March. Sharapova just took down another powerful retriever, Na Li, by serving her off the court and controlling points with lethal first shots during her return games. She'll do the same to Golovin, who will make a match of it for a set based on desire and inspiration alone, but who on a fast hard court will not be able to contend with Sharapova's blinding consistency. Sharapova in straight sets.
<<<

Tatiana: "I'm going to strap up everything this time. I'm going to strap up the ankles, the wrists, my head — everything."

---------------
Women's Doubles
---------------

Tatiana Golovin/Séverine Brémond:
1r + Lucie Hradecká/Vladimíra Uhlírová, 6-2 6-2
2r - Jelena Jankovic/Bethanie Mattek, 3-6 2-6

---------------------------
Order of play for Wednesday
---------------------------

Arthur Ashe Court (start 11:00 EDT = 15:00 GMT = 16:00 BST)
1. MS 4r: Marat Safin v TOMMY HAAS [14] (2-1 to finish)
2. WS qf: LINDSAY DAVENPORT [10] v JUSTINE HENIN-HARDENNE [2]
3. MS 4r: TOMÁŠ BERDYCH [12] v JAMES BLAKE [5]
Evening session (start 19:00 EDT = 23:00 GMT = 24:00 BST)
4. WS qf: MARIA SHARAPOVA [3] v TATIANA GOLOVIN [27]
5. MS qf: ANDY RODDICK [9] v LLEYTON HEWITT [15]

Full order of play:
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/schedule/ (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/schedule/)

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/)
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/)

selyoink
Sep 7th, 2006, 01:47 AM
Great effort from Tati tonight. Just not quite good enough. If only she could have got one of those set points in the first set but Maria played those points very well.

Tati showed her fight again. I hope this is the turning point in her career. I expect big things from her now. I hope she expects the same.

yukon145
Sep 7th, 2006, 01:59 AM
im really happy Tati made the quarters, but sorta pissed she played crappy. she should have won that first set and she kept getting broken.

at least she fought in the second set and made it go to a tiebreak. great tournment Tati!

selyoink
Sep 7th, 2006, 02:07 AM
im really happy Tati made the quarters, but sorta pissed she played crappy. she should have won that first set and she kept getting broken.

at least she fought in the second set and made it go to a tiebreak. great tournment Tati!

She definitely didn't play as well as in Miami SF. But then she rarely seems to do so.

Her low first serve percentage cost her in the first set.

rseto
Sep 7th, 2006, 02:10 AM
agree with what you guys wrote about the 1st set. their rallies were pretty equal but sharapova can raise her game that little bit when it matters. tati played a pretty solid game the whole match.

on the coaching front, looks like she's working with mark wellington and not goldfine.

great us open tati! hope you can finish the season with this type of play!

tennisrulz8
Sep 7th, 2006, 02:10 AM
I felt like she could have won the first set, but Sharapova really stepped it up on the big points. Very good tournament from Tati nonetheless.

rseto
Sep 7th, 2006, 02:13 AM
She definitely didn't play as well as in Miami SF. But then she rarely seems to do so.

Her low first serve percentage cost her in the first set.

don't forget that tati didn't play good in the first half of the miami match. i was impressed with the way she came out ready to play. too bad she couldn't get that 3-0 lead.

martirogi
Sep 7th, 2006, 04:01 AM
tati played AMAZING when breaking sharapova's serve late in the second set. if only she could play like that consistently, she'd be top 5 for sure.

selyoink
Sep 7th, 2006, 04:46 AM
don't forget that tati didn't play good in the first half of the miami match. i was impressed with the way she came out ready to play. too bad she couldn't get that 3-0 lead.

That ridiculous drop shot attempt on one of the advantage points could well have cost her the set. She could've hit a big ground stroke winner for 3-0 but instead decided to be cute. Can't have those kinds of lapses in judgement on important points.

Lillibet
Sep 7th, 2006, 06:30 AM
Well I'm glad that Tati made Maria work for the win. Though I would've loved to see how Tati would do against Mauresmo..!

~lollipop_girl~
Sep 7th, 2006, 12:43 PM
:sad: Awww Tati... Great to see she kept the match so close but a shame it didn't go to 3 sets... What an amazing US Open for here though... A great sign for the rest of the year! ;)

Now lets just hope Tati lost to the eventual champion! :angel:

Harju.
Sep 7th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Tati from being broken twice in all her 4 matches into getting broken multiple times in just one match. :( I haven't watched the whole match but her serve is not holding up and that basically caused her the match. It wasn't the greatest match that she played, granted, it wasn't that bad either. Tati knows how to play Maria and clearly, she had a game plan coming into the match. Unfortunately, like some of you have said, Maria stepped it up during the crucial points.

She could have lead 4-0 in the first set, but that dropshot is hilarity. I dont even know why she just can't finish it off :weirdo: I'd continue with my further assessment when I finished watching it tomorrow :tape:

Anyway, she should continue to work on her fitness and her serve (that would get her some cheap points). Very happy with her performance these two weeks. She can only go up from here hopefully.

PS : Someone badrepped me for saying SHARAPISS at Tati forum. :weirdo: :cuckoo:

!<blocparty>!
Sep 7th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Hello fellow Tati fans. I am new to this forum!

I have come to say how much she sucked last night. You kinda knew she was dead after blowing the first set point. Then, after serving well towards the end of the second set, she blows hard in the tiebreak.

Harju.
Sep 7th, 2006, 03:47 PM
maybe there's hope for you yet tania!

do i forsee a us open quarterfinal? i think the voodoo doll does. :devil:

DING DONG. :tape:
Tati could have won if you have said a US OPEN TITLE. :ras: ;)

willrock
Sep 7th, 2006, 04:30 PM
PS : Someone badrepped me for saying SHARAPISS at Tati forum. :weirdo: :cuckoo:

How come do they dare badrepping u on our territory? :mad:
There must be Sharpie spies in our forum :o

TatiAnnahølic
Sep 7th, 2006, 05:04 PM
DING DONG. :tape:
Tati could have won if you have said a US OPEN TITLE. :ras: ;):haha:

It was all your fault Martirogi :tape::lol:

Craigy
Sep 7th, 2006, 05:11 PM
They come in every forum and insult players. They don't have any respect at all.
--
Anyways, I haven't had the chance to congratulate Tati for doing soooooo well on reaching the 1/4 finals! Finally breaking through :bounce: Hopeully there is many more to come :banana:

FrenchY52
Sep 7th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Tati :)

~lollipop_girl~
Sep 8th, 2006, 12:08 PM
That sooooo wasn't me... I don't care what people call my players unless they insult them coz of their weight or lack of...

Who was it that badrepped you? If they post on her forum, I'll have a go at them for you! :devil:

Craigy
Sep 8th, 2006, 02:40 PM
That sooooo wasn't me... I don't care what people call my players unless they insult them coz of their weight or lack of...

Who was it that badrepped you? If they post on her forum, I'll have a go at them for you! :devil:
Me too :hehehe:

~lollipop_girl~
Sep 8th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Me too :hehehe:
Haha... Although I think they may listen to me more, no offence Craig, but they would have a go at you for the avatar (don't ask me why:shrug: )! :p

Craigy
Sep 8th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Haha... Although I think they may listen to me more, no offence Craig, but they would have a go at you for the avatar (don't ask me why:shrug: )! :p
And I would probably insult them too much anyway :o

Harju.
Sep 8th, 2006, 04:56 PM
just finished watching the first set. i know i'm slow. the downloadin' takes forever. maria's reaction winning the first set disgust(ed) me. tati was staring glaring at her. lmao. she could have closed the set at 7-5. she tried to outhit maria. bad plan, tati. could have been patient and let her do the error. the blister was nasty. i dont know why people are questioning the injury time out. maria was lucky with the net cord at 4-4, and the momentum shifted to maria.

end of rant.

-edit-

finished watching the whole match. the second set was definately much more entertaining. boy, tati was really on drop shot mode. :o there was this one really messed up drop shot that she made, where she could have closed it out with a winner, and could have held. her shot selection can be :weirdo: at times. and these kind of shots can cost her the match. maria was just too good during the tie-break.

overall. pretty satisfied with her preformance in this tournament.

Craigy
Sep 10th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Pretty satisfied? Pfffft :p It was great :yeah:

houseoflords
Sep 12th, 2006, 06:03 AM
I have always supported Tati and followed her career. At this years US Open, my level of respect and love for her skyrocketed.

My friend & I were both cheering for her loudly throughout her match against Petrova. When she won, she looked directly at us and pumped her fist. After the match, Tati went out of her way to come over to us and thank us for cheering for her. A totally classy and sweet move. She is simply the best.

Harju.
Sep 12th, 2006, 01:44 PM
I love it when Tati pumps her fist. So cute. Too bad she doesn't show much emotion.

You should see when she won her match against Anna C. Her reaction was so cute. :hearts:

rseto
Sep 13th, 2006, 08:48 AM
I have always supported Tati and followed her career. At this years US Open, my level of respect and love for her skyrocketed.

My friend & I were both cheering for her loudly throughout her match against Petrova. When she won, she looked directly at us and pumped her fist. After the match, Tati went out of her way to come over to us and thank us for cheering for her. A totally classy and sweet move. She is simply the best.

thanks for the report. happy to see that tati acknowledged you. i think i heard you two loud and clear when i watched the match. :lol:

i'm glad someone is cheering loudly for tati. i've seen her play several times and all i do is clap and hope she doesn't choke. :)

houseoflords
Sep 13th, 2006, 06:47 PM
thanks for the report. happy to see that tati acknowledged you. i think i heard you two loud and clear when i watched the match. :lol:

You probably could've. We were pretty loud. Petrova was giving us dirty looks the entire match

andrewbroad
Sep 13th, 2006, 09:24 PM
=======
Photos & videos
---------------

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/players/wtaq565.html (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/players/wtaq565.html)
http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news/?c=news_photos&p=golovin (http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news/?c=news_photos&p=golovin)
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=133235&page=161 (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=133235&page=161) (to 163)
Search Getty Images for "golovin"

Maria v Tatiana was as close as a beauty-contest as it was as a tennis-match! :hearts:

Videos of Maria v Tatiana (no, I have not watched them yet):
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=221386&page=84 (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=221386&page=84)

Video - Tatiana post-match interview (in French):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TxAjW0o7gCc (http://youtube.com/watch?v=TxAjW0o7gCc)
Translation: http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=9005901 (http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=9005901)

Amusing article - "Sharapova and the Banana Incident":
http://makeashorterlink.com/?L6AD569BD (http://makeashorterlink.com/?L6AD569BD)

--------------
Quarter-finals (Wednesday 6th September)
--------------

Nice winner, nice loser:
+ MARIA SHARAPOVA [3] d. TATIANA GOLOVIN [27], 7-6 (7/4) 7-6 (7/0)

Congratulations to Tatiana for giving the eventual champion her toughest match of the tournament! :worship:

As always, it was a highly competitive match between these two childhood friends, belying their gulf in rankings and lasting 2h12m.

Tatiana led *3-1 amidst four consecutive breaks of serve. But it was Maria who served for the first set at 5-4. She failed, and had to save two set-points at *5-6 (15/40)!

Maria led 3/0* in the first-set tiebreak when all of a sudden Tati needed medical attention for a blister on her right sole - the blister looked nasty, but the timing seems tactical to me. Tati fought back to 4/4*, but Maria won the next three points to take the first set.

The second set also featured four breaks in a row, with Maria serving for the match at 5-3. But once again, it went to a tiebreak: in contrast to their Miami semi-final, Maria won the second-set tiebreak 7/0.

www.wtatour.com (http://www.wtatour.com/): "For over two hours under the bright lights of Arthur Ashe Stadium on Wednesday night, Maria Sharapova and Tatiana Golovin shone as they played the last of four US Open quarterfinals. While Sharapova belted monstrous serves and big groundstrokes, Golovin fired ferocious forehands and showed gritty retrieving; and in the end, it couldn't have been more even. But like she has done so many times, Sharapova stepped up at the most critical of junctures, clinching two tie-breaks to advance to the 2006 US Open semifinals."

Aimee Berg for www.usopen.org (http://www.usopen.org/): "Wednesday night in Arthur Ashe Stadium, two teenagers in pretty cocktail dresses frequently lost their serves and nerves, and played one-dimensional power games, knowing one of them was guaranteed a berth in the semifinal round."

The match started at 19:29 EDT on Arthur Ashe Court. I followed live scores at www.usopen.org (http://www.usopen.org/), and listened to their online radio-commentary. They said that Maria and Tatiana's semi-final at Miami was for many people the highlight of the year so far! :worship:

Here are my comments as I wrote them at the time:

First Set:
SHARAPO __@ @* *@__* 7(7)
GOLOVIN *@ @__*__@*_ 6(4)

Tatiana serving 0-0: Service-winner. 15/0. Tati's depth forced Maria into error. 30/0. Maria volley-winner. 30/15. Maria crosscourt winner. 30/30. Tati winner. 40/30. Maria winner. 40/40. Double fault. Ad Maria (BP). Maria netted a backhand. Deuce #2. Tati winner behind Maria. Ad Tatiana. Wide serve, short return, Tati forehand winner.

I can hear Maria grunting, but I want to hear Tati's sexy grunt too! :drool:

The commentator said Tati's microshorts caused some controversy at the US Open 2004, as if that was the reason she dresses more conservatively now.

Maria serving 0-1: Maria "too strong forehand". 0/15, 15/15. Maria backhand wide. 15/30. Maria forehand long. 15/40 (2 BPs). Maria forehand long - broken!

I think it's important for this match that Tatiana gets off to a good start. Against most opponents I'd be very anxious for Maria at this stage, but my tender feelings for Tati soften the blow completely, even though she's not a member of my Eternal Fanship.

My Reason knows the importance of Maria winning this match, but my Passion wants Tati to do as well as possible without actually winning the match! ;)

Tatiana serving 2-0: Tati forehand long & wide. 0/15, 0/30. Maria forehand wide. 15/30. Maria netted a backhand. 30/30. Tati netted. 30/40 (BP), 40/40, ad Tati - but Maria correctly challenged a call, so back to 40/40. Tati netted. Ad Maria (BP #2). Maria forehand wide. Deuce #2. Maria's forehand hit the netcord and fell back on her side. Ad Tati. Double fault. Deuce #3. Tati forehand "too strong". Ad Tati. Maria crosscourt backhand winner off a dropshot from Tati. Deuce #4. Tati forehand "too strong". Ad Tati. Maria winner behind Tati. Deuce #5. Maria winner down the line. Ad Maria (BP #3). Tati forehand hits the netcord and falls back on her side - Maria breaks back.

I sense a real battle of wills here. And Tati has started to grunt - I love that sound! :hearts:

Maria serving 1-2: Tati backhand "dies in the net". 15/0. Maria long. 15/15. Maria crosscourt forehand winner (W:UE 8:10). 30/15. Maria netted a backhand. 30/30. Tati forehand long. 40/30. Double fault. 40/40. Maria scooped a lob over the baseline. Ad Tati (BP). Tati netted. Deuce #2. Maria netted a forehand off her back foot. Ad Tati (BP #2). Maria wide - broken again!

Every game is so tough - four games in 30 minutes - and uncharacteristically for two big servers, it's unpredictable who's going to hold serve. Just a real battle of wills out there.

Tatiana is a very feisty competitor, and a very strong character off the court too. When her left foot was in a cast for ten days (after the Miami semi-final), she simply switched to driving a car with an automatic gear-box!

Tati serving 3-1: Tati out. 0/15, 0/30, 15/30. Maria hit an error-forcing backhand down the line and pumped her fist. 15/40 (2 BPs). Tati, "swinging out from her stomach", hits it wide - Maria breaks back.

Maria serving 2-3: 15/0. Maria swing-volley + overhead winner. 30/0, 40/0, 40/30, held.

Maria is now level for the first time since 0-0.

Tati serving 3-3: 15/0. Maria long. 30/0. Maria's forehand hit the netcord and fell back on her side. 40/0. Tati "buries it". 40/15. Tati netted a backhand. 40/30. Tati "too strong".

Maria serving 3-4: Ace. 15/0. Service-winner. 30/0. Maria hit her fourth ace (109mph). 40/0. "Snapped up by Tati, and smacked down for a winner by Sharapova".

Tati serving 4-4: Maria netted a forehand - making a lot of errors on that side. 15/0. Double fault. 15/15. Tati netted a forehand. 15/30. Ace(?). 30/30. Loss of radio-coverage. 30/40 (BP), broken.

Maria serving for the first set at 5-4: 15/0, 15/15, 15/40 (2 BPs). Would have been 30/40, but Tati made a challenge that was correct by millimetres. Tati backhand wide. 30/40. Maria challenged a call but was incorrect (one challenge left, Tati two) - Tati breaks back!

Tati serving 5-5: Tati forehand winner on the line. 15/0. Double fault. 15/15. Maria forehand out. 30/15. Tati "drove it right into the twine". 30/30. Maria backhand winner with a pretty loud grunt! 30/40 (BP). Maria netted a backhand. 40/40. Maria backhand long. Ad Tati, held.

Maria serving to stay in the first set at 5-6: Maria forced Tati to hit a backhand that landed on her own side of the net. 15/0. Maria forehand swing-volley wide. 15/15. Double fault. 15/30, 15/40 (2 SPs). Service-winner. 30/40 (SP #2). Tati backhand floats long. 40/40. Tati long. Ad Maria. Maria forehand winner.

What a set this is turning out to be! Sloppy play according to the radio-commentary, but so competitive!

6-6 tiebreak (all scores from Maria's perspective):
{0/0*} Tati long.
{*1/0} Tati netted a sliced backhand.
{*2/0} Loss of radio-coverage. :mad:
{3/0*} Tatiana called the trainer to deal with a blister on her right sole. She has now taken medical time-outs in all four of her matches against Maria. Maria hit some practice-serves during the time-out, which Tatiana apologised to her for taking. When play resumed, Maria missed wide.
{3/1*} Maria backhand wide.
{*3/2} Tati backhand "wide and well long", but her movement does not appear to be restricted.
{*4/2} Loss of radio-coverage.
{4/3*}
{4/4*} Long rally, Maria netcord winner, Tati warned for hitting a ball into the photographers' pit. If it's true that it "whizzed past a woman's head", then Tatiana was lucky not to be disqualified (or even charged with manslaughter).
{*5/4}
{*6/4} Maria hit a forehand winner to win the first set 7-6 (7/4) at 20:47 (1h18m). Their Miami semi-final lasted 2h43m before Tati retired!

Second Set:
SHARAPO * * *@ @__*_ 7(7)
GOLOVIN _* *__@ @* * 6(0)

Maria serving 0-0: Tati backhand return long. 15/0. Tati netted. 30/0. Maria forehand winner. 40/0, held.

Tati serving 0-1: Tati two-handed dropshot-winner. 15/0. Long rally went Tati's way. 30/0, 40/0. Maria forehand winner. 40/15. And another! 40/30. Tati crosscourt forehand winner.

Sounds like the standard of play is improving! :) "Maria's had issues with her forehand and first serve tonight."

Maria serving 1-1: Tati dropshot netcord-winner. 15/0. Ace (Tati challenged it, but it was in). 15/15. Tati flicked a forehand long. 30/15. Tati went for a winner but missed. 40/15. Good rally ended with Maria missing wide. 40/30. Ace (107mph with spin).

I'm thoroughly enjoying following this match, even though I have only sound (which keeps cutting out) and no pictures! When Maria plays Tatiana, it's always so competitive, so sexy, and the right girl always wins! ;)

Tati serving 1-2: Tati forehand winner (only her 10th winner, Maria has hit 26). 15/0. Maria forehand long & wide. 30/0, held to love.

Maria serving 2-2: 0/15. Tati long - too much power from Maria. 15/15. Loss of radio-coverage. 30/15, 30/30, 40/30, held.

Maria was behind for the whole first set apart from *5-4 and the tiebreak. Now, by virtue of serving first, she keeps nosing ahead in this set, and that's a bad sign for Tati.

Tati serving 2-3: 15/0, 15/15. Tati netted a backhand. 15/30. Tati long. 15/40 (2 BPs). Maria crosscourt backhand winner - she breaks!

Maria serving 4-2: Tati crosscourt winner - "much crisper tennis than in the first set". 0/15, 0/30. Double fault. 0/40 (3 BPs). Tati breaks back!

Well, Tati fought back from a set and 1-5 down in their Miami semi-final, and this is a much shallower hole than that!

Tati serving 3-4: Maria inside-out winner (Tatiana didn't waste her one remaining challenge on that). 0/15. Double fault. 0/30. Tati hit deep forehands and a winner. 15/30. Tati netted a dropshot. 15/40 (2 BPs). Tati netted a forehand - broken.

Poor Tati - a bad time for a sloppy game! And the match, which has been so close up till now, could be about to end (but Maria missed four match-points at 5-3 in the second set at Miami).

Maria serving 5-3: Tati long. 15/0. Maria netted a forehand. 15/15. Tati went to the net, forcing Maria into error. 15/30. Maria crosscourt backhand winner. 30/30. Double fault (Maria's fifth). 30/40 (BP). Maria backhand "too strong". 40/40. Another double fault! Ad Tati (BP #2). Tati went for a winner off a second serve, but just missed. Deuce #2. Maria backhand long. Ad Tati (BP #3). Maria long - broken back!

I had butterflies in my stomach in that game, and it speaks volumes about my feelings for Tatiana that I'm not ultranervous for Maria at this stage. Deep down, I just don't believe that Tati can actually beat Maria.

"This one is not for the 'How to play tennis' DVD-collection. Neither of these girls has played spectacular tonight."

But I'm very tempted to order a DVD of this match! :)

Tati serving to stay in the match at 4-5: Tati lob long. 0/15. Maria long. 15/15. Maria netted. 30/15, 40/15. Ace! (111mph).

And Maria gets pegged back at 5-5 in the second set, just as she was at Miami! Why can't she serve out sets and matches against Tati?

Maria serving 5-5: Tati "volleys to the deuce-court". 0/15. Ace (103mph with spin). 15/15, 30/15. Maria forehand winner. 40/15. Service-winner.

Tati serving to stay in the match at 5-6: Maria netted. 15/0. Maria backhand return way long. 30/0. Maria netted. 40/0. Service-winner. Maria flexing her right hip and left arm after lunging for that return.

6-6 tiebreak (all scores from Maria's perspective):
{*0/0}
{1/0*} Maria crosscourt forehand winner - "a minor change to the angle paid off".
{2/0*} Maria forehand winner down the line.
{*3/0} Ace.
{*4/0} Tati forehand wide.
{5/0*} Another error from Tati.
{6/0*: 6 MPs} Tati netted a forehand. Maria won 7-6 (7/4) 7-6 (7/0) at 21:41 (second set 54m, match 2h12m).

They interviewed both girls on court. Tati said that Maria had played "an unbelievable match". Maria said she had "nothing to lose" in the semis against Mauresmo, who "is playing some of the best tennis of her career".

Statistics
----------

Maria had a positive W:UE ratio of 36:32, Tatiana a negative 19:22. The second set was much cleaner than the first: Maria 15:11, Tatiana 13:7.

Maria got 64% of her first serves in, winning 70% of the points when she did so, and - worryingly - only 37% of points on second serve (Tatiana 64%, 60% and 38%).

From the first set to the second set, Maria traded her percentage of first serves in for a higher winning-percentage, while Tatiana simply upped her percentage of first serves in from 54% to 82%.

Maria served 8 aces, Tatiana 2, and they committed 6 double faults each (5 of Tatiana's coming in the first set).

Their service-speeds were intriguingly similar: fastest 114mph for both, average first serve 104mph for both, and Tatiana had the faster second serve (89-87mph).

They broke serve 5 times each - Maria from 9 break-points, Tatiana from 11.

They came to the net 14 times each, Maria winning 10 of her net-points, Tatiana 9 of hers.

In points, Maria won 91-81 (first set 53-48, second 38-33).

Maria quotes
------------

"I love playing tennis because I'm a competitor. I don't do it to go out on the court, practise, and hit balls over and over. That's definitely not fun for me. I do it to be in those moments and try to succeed in them. I just enjoy the battle of it all.

"I play tennis because I love the challenge of it. I love challenges in life, not just on the tennis-court. Most people outside, people that go on to watch a match, might not even know anything about tennis; they just see the challenges you get, the opportunities maybe you didn't take or the opportunities you took, the ups and downs in a match.

"I love the competition. It's all about self-confidence. At the end of the day, in my sport, I got to go out, and I got to win. That's what it's all about."

[Re. Tatiana's complaints about her grunting]
"I wouldn't know because I don't know another way, so I don't worry about it."

Tatiana quotes
--------------

"We've always had tough matches. I think it's because I'm fighting all the time, and I try to get balls back and pressure her forehand with my forehand - my best shot.

"After what happened with my ankle, it took a lot of hard work to get back into shape. I played the French and Wimbledon, but I shouldn't have. It was because I wanted to get back on court. After Wimbledon, I was able to practise. Then I was fully recovered. So I'll learn from this match and I'll get better as time goes on.

"I definitely think that separates her: how she mentally handles the tough situations. She's really tough. I remember our other matches, even if you are up, she never gives up; and she actually even plays better when she's down. In the first tie-break, it really could have gone either way. But she does it. I think one of her biggest weapons is definitely her mental side of the game."

[Re. Maria's grunting]
"It was kind of a little loud out there. It is distracting. You don't need to be screaming that loud. It's okay to grunt, but you don't have to be that loud. Like I don't think the ball actually goes faster if she's grunting."

It's a shame that Tatiana complained to the umpire about Maria's grunting, because Tatiana has been going back up in my favour recently, after I decided (in April) against inducting her into my Eternal Fanship, and then (in June) promoted Anna Chakvetadze ahead of her in my demi-fanship.

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/ (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/)

andrewbroad
Sep 13th, 2006, 09:40 PM
=======
Quarter-finals (Wednesday 6th September)
--------------

+ MARIA SHARAPOVA [3] d. TATIANA GOLOVIN [27], 7-6 (7/4) 7-6 (7/0)

Source (including video): http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2006-09-06/200609071157651704093.html (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2006-09-06/200609071157651704093.html)
>>>
An interview with: TATIANA GOLOVIN

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. You guys grew up together in Florida. Were you close when you were younger?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Yeah, we were pretty close 'cause we were only really like the 7 and 8 year olds in the academy who played already that well at such a young age. We definitely shared a lot of things when we were younger.

Q. Is it tough to go out there and play somebody you kind of grew up with?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Not really 'cause we're not as close anymore now. So, you know, I was just excited to be in the quarters and, you know, just happy to be there and be able to compete and do things that I love. Didn't really matter who I was playing against.

Q. You give her an awful lot of trouble. What is it about your game particularly, do you think, that makes you hard for her to put away?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Uhm, I don't know. I guess I why don't you ask her?
I really don't know because we've always had tough matches. Like I remember when I was young, she always used to beat me like 0 and 0. You know, when I started playing on the tour, we always had like really tough three setters. It was always really tough matches.
I think it's just because I'm fighting all the time and I try to get the balls back and I pressured her forehand with my forehand, which is my best shot. You know, I think my serve kind of let me down today. I didn't serve as well as I did for the past, you know, ten days.
Just I think it's a little bit of everything. Mentally, I'm sure she doesn't really like to play me.

Q. Can you talk about the last time you played. I was at that match in Key Biscayne. Do you remember - obviously I'm sure you remember - but your feelings leaving that match? Was there any special feeling playing her again tonight?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Uhm, you know, like I I guess it could have kind of been like a little revenge night match, it's a big tournament. It's already in the quarters so it's a good result.
But like I said, I think it was just different atmosphere. You know, I think she played she played well. It was really different. You know, obviously I wanted to beat her because I always lost to her and it was always tight. I want to do well against her.
But, you know, I just hope I can kind of finish a match without actually have any problems with my feet, you know what I mean? I took off my shoe, it's soaked in blood, I'm like, Oh, my God. It's just, you know, bad luck...

Q. Did you ever get a chance to speak with her...

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Showed her my blister, yeah?

Q. Were you able to discuss it? Were there hard feelings about it?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: What happened in Miami?

Q. Yeah.

TATIANA GOLOVIN: There wasn't really much to talk about. She is the way she is. You know, I'm not here to judge. I'm not here I mean, we know each other. We're friends, but we're not gonna discuss about there was really nothing to discuss, you know, so...

Q. What about the pace of play? It seemed like you had different styles when it comes to serving and speed that you like to play with?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Yeah, she takes her time a lot. It's kind of it's pretty it's frustrating because she really imposes her pace so it's really up to the opponent to really concentrate and not let that bother you.
But, you know, she's got really big shots. You kind of think when she focuses, she really gets the ball in. It's really tough to beat her and to actually play your own game.

Q. She seemed to really raise her level in the tiebreaks. Is that what separates her from a lot of the other players, is that ability to take it up a notch?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: I definitely think that separates her, how she handles mentally the tough situations. Like she's really tough. And even I remember from the other matches, even if you're up, she never gives up and she actually even plays better when she's down.
It's definitely always tough. I think in the tiebreaker, first tiebreaker, it really could have gone either way. With that let call, was kind of...
But, you know, she does it. I think one of her biggest weapons is definitely her mental side of the game.

Q. Was she making a lot of noise out there? Is that what you were talking to the umpire about?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Yeah, it was kind of a little loud out there. It is kind of distracting. You don't need to be screaming that loud. It's okay to grunt, but you don't have to, you know, be that loud (smiling). Like I don't think the ball actually goes faster if she's grunting, so... I don't know.

Q. Do you think this result will propel you, getting to the quarterfinals here will help propel you as you go forward?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: I hope so. I mean, after what happened with my ankle, you know, it took a lot of hard work to get back into shape and start playing well again. Definitely brought me a lot of confidence.
New York is so special for me so I'm so happy that I got to the quarters. I played pretty well today. Like the crowd was amazing. It was full at the end. With the music, it's just such a special ambiance. It's a lot of fun.
So I hope, you know, I'll learn from this match and I'll be able to, you know, get better as time goes on.

Q. How much time did you miss with the ankle?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Pretty much from I fully recovered after Wimbledon. I think, you know, I played the French and Wimbledon, but I shouldn't have. It was just because I wanted to get back on court. But everybody was telling me I shouldn't.
So definitely after Wimbledon was when I actually was able to practice.

Q. Can you talk about the second set tiebreaker. Just one of those things?

TATIANA GOLOVIN: Yeah, I think I just kind of lost my focus. She hit a couple good shots and I was never really able to get back into it.
You know, like you guys said, like she's really tough out there. It's hard to come back when you're, you know, 3/, 4/, 5/Love down. I tried my best. But she hit some good shots in the tiebreaker.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports...
<<<

--
Dr. Andrew Broad

andrewbroad
May 20th, 2007, 05:33 PM
=======
======= http://2006.usopen.org/

Having acquired Tatiana's quarter-final match against Maria Sharapova (http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/shara/) on DVD from Tennis Videos International (http://www.users.bigpond.com/tennisvideos1/), I have now written up my extended report, with a blow-by-blow description of every point, transcripts of the commentary, of the pre-match interviews, and of Maria's post-match on-court interview (unfortunately Tatiana's seems to have been edited out of my DVD).

I've also written up a detailed evaluation of Tatiana that I did last December, based largely on this match. In it, I describe everything I've observed about Tatiana, and I explain why I haven't inducted her into my Eternal Fanship (at least not so far - I still think she has the potential at age 19). This evaluation appears at the end of my report.

My extended report can be found at:
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/shara/reports.html

--
Dr. Andrew Broad
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/
http://geocities.com/andrewbroad/tennis/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jeldani/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sharapova_vaidisova_hantuchova/