PDA

View Full Version : Why is Jon Wertheim so disliked?

viele
Aug 22nd, 2006, 07:52 PM
I was just reading another thread and there seems to be a lot of bad feelings towards him. I don't understand why. I like his columns and I look forward to the mailbag every week! But apparently I'm in the minority as far as wtaworld goes. Please someone explain why!

Aphex
Aug 22nd, 2006, 07:55 PM
Because no one is more expert then the WTA World experts?

Ferosh
Aug 22nd, 2006, 08:07 PM
Because he's not up Venus' and Serena's arse.

hingisGOAT
Aug 22nd, 2006, 08:10 PM
lol @ dementrova. that's basically it. the same reason that every commentator is disliked on these boards -- because one day, they told it like it is about a certain player, and the fans haven't stopped crying

TomTennis
Aug 22nd, 2006, 08:14 PM
lol @ dementrova. that's basically it. the same reason that every commentator is disliked on these boards -- because one day, they told it like it is about a certain player, and the fans haven't stopped crying

probably the two most annoying ppl on the board? anyone agree!? :lol:

Ferosh
Aug 22nd, 2006, 08:19 PM

If speaking the truth makes me an annoying person, then so be it. :kiss:

miffedmax
Aug 22nd, 2006, 08:22 PM
Plus a few of us are jealous and want his gig! (Although I suppose after a couple months of every one of my columns being about ED a lot of people would hate me more than him :lol: )

--aya--
Aug 22nd, 2006, 09:27 PM
i dont rly know

sfselesfan
Aug 22nd, 2006, 09:31 PM
Because he states the obvious in a manner that sounds like a know it all.

SF

Helen Lawson
Aug 22nd, 2006, 09:34 PM
Come on, his tongue's way up Venus' butt, he wrote a whole book about how the whole tour is jealous of Venus. Then, like last year, he's saying that Venus has had a better career than Martina Hingis, like it's a no-brainer. I can see coming out either way on that one, but it's not an easy analysis.

supergrunt
Aug 22nd, 2006, 09:36 PM
What did he say about Venus and Serena?

supergrunt
Aug 22nd, 2006, 09:37 PM

agreed :)

GrandSlam05
Aug 22nd, 2006, 09:41 PM
That's basically it. Many williams fans are psycho-obsessive or just really immature and can't take any criticism.
I love Lindsay and Serena, but most of the time when they get criticism, it's deserved. Besides, everybody's entitled to their own opinion anyway.

LeRoy.
Aug 22nd, 2006, 09:49 PM
That's basically it. Many williams fans are psycho-obsessive or just really immature and can't take any criticism.
I love Lindsay and Serena, but most of the time when they get criticism, it's deserved. Besides, everybody's entitled to their own opinion anyway.

As are Venus and Serena fans

supergrunt
Aug 22nd, 2006, 09:50 PM
What did he say

supergrunt
Aug 22nd, 2006, 09:53 PM

Williams fans are like this becuase Venus and Serena are always unjustly attacked by sports journalists and tennis fans. :( If Lindsay was attacked like this, you would feel the same way but that doesn't happen becuase Lindsay is so boring. :)

moon
Aug 23rd, 2006, 04:41 AM
Venus and Serena fans are not the only ones who dislike him.
But I guess it always comes back to Vee and Ree doesn't it. :)

Diesel
Aug 23rd, 2006, 04:51 AM
Venus and Serena fans are not the only ones who dislike him.
But I guess it always comes back to Vee and Ree doesn't it. :)

When you ARE women's tennis, it's like that :lol:

delicatecutter
Aug 23rd, 2006, 04:55 AM
I am actually partial to him because he DID publish a book about women's tennis (which I do own). I just wish someone had written a book about the Serena period of domination. For him to name his book "Venus Envy" when she never dominated the sport is kind of suspect in my book.

moon
Aug 23rd, 2006, 04:59 AM
I am actually partial to him because he DID publish a book about women's tennis (which I do own). I just wish someone had written a book about the Serena period of domination. For him to name his book "Venus Envy" when she never dominated the sport is kind of suspect in my book.

What do you mean she never dominated?
she won 35 straight matches in spring-summer of 2000?:confused:
she also dominated the following summer.

you are joking right?

Lefty.
Aug 23rd, 2006, 05:01 AM

you are joking right?

Yes she did, but not to the extent of her sister. I guess, he should have waited for Serena to come around. :lol:

delicatecutter
Aug 23rd, 2006, 05:02 AM

you are joking right?

Sorry I must clarify. I define dominance as a year-long endeavor. See: Serena, Steffi, Seles, hell even Hingis. The ability to win 3 slams in one calendar year. :) Venus did have impressive results in 00-01 but most of them were on hardcourts/grasscourts. Whereas the other girls I aforementioned were able to do damage on all surfaces in the same year.

thelittlestelf
Aug 23rd, 2006, 06:25 AM
lol, I agree. He's definitely overly bashed on this web site. I think a lot of it is just joking, though.

MrSerenaWilliams
Aug 23rd, 2006, 08:47 AM
People are HELLA jealous of his job that's why.

supergrunt
Aug 23rd, 2006, 08:51 AM
What did he say about the Williams sisters? :mad:

faste5683
Aug 23rd, 2006, 10:03 AM
What did he say about the Williams sisters? :mad:

Jon W. has been writing about tennis for years. During the course of that time, he has discussed Venus and Serena in his columns, sometimes describing them in a postive manner, sometimes not. No big deal. Do a search and read his archives...

:wavey:

wipeout
Aug 23rd, 2006, 11:49 AM
I don't mind him that much until he uses annoying nicknames like "Chucky" for Hingis or "the Capster" for Capriati. Then I want to pull the keys from his keyboard, set them alight and throw them at him one by one. :(

But maybe that's just me. :p

Jakeev
Aug 23rd, 2006, 12:12 PM
If I were forced to read John or Peter "Dodo" Bodo, I would probably be tortured to the point of death but in order to survive, I would barely choose John.

The problem I have with these "tennis writers" is that instead of being objective or even constructive, they tend to piss and moan and that just rubs people the wrong way.

I was always taught that good writers keep their personal opinions or biases out of commentary but I guess a writer like John went to a different school.