PDA

View Full Version : S. I/No more free Wertheim

Yonexforever
Aug 22nd, 2006, 04:10 PM
I usually read fondly like most of everyone else here his take on tennis especially the Mailbag.
Well this week SI has decided you have to be a SUBSCRIBER to the magazine to get access to the online article.
I can see if they wanted you to register, but BUY a subscription?
HELL NO
That is the end of interest in his tennis blog if you ask me.
I dont like SI there tennis coverage is limited to the grand slams and marginal at best.
SO PISS OFF SI!!!
:devil:

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 22nd, 2006, 04:18 PM
I guess Worthless wants to be Worth something after all :tape:

croat123
Aug 22nd, 2006, 04:19 PM
no one is gonna pay just to read his blog :o

sfselesfan
Aug 22nd, 2006, 04:22 PM
I don't think Jon is happy about it.

SF

Marcell
Aug 22nd, 2006, 04:26 PM
He is not the only one. Check out what Matt Cronin had to say.

Newsletters to be available via e-mail only
Subscriber-only stories will be sent as newsletters
Due to many ******************** newsletters and subscriber-only stories illegally copied on other web sites, we have decided to send these stories to our subscribers only by e-mail. These stories will no longer be available on the site. We will provide headlines and a short summary as a reminder to subscribers and to emphasize to non-subscribers what they are missing. Click here for a full-explanation.

Mark Spruce
Aug 22nd, 2006, 04:48 PM
well i definately not going to pay to read his ******

Helen Lawson
Aug 22nd, 2006, 04:50 PM
Bette Davis hated doing regular TV movies out of pride that people didn't have to pay to see her. She had no problem with doing cable movies because cable charges a fee.

Joan Crawford simply said on the issue that she'd dress up like an ape if they paid her the right sum, after all Maurice Evans did.

RAA
Aug 22nd, 2006, 05:24 PM
well I liked his columns too but i'm not paying to read them either. thanks for nothing.

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 22nd, 2006, 05:31 PM
I know more than Jon Wertheim.

Yonexforever
Aug 22nd, 2006, 05:32 PM
I know more than Jon Wertheim.
:worship:
I dont doubt u your Highness!

Timariot
Aug 22nd, 2006, 05:33 PM
Guinness entry for "Shortest list in the world":
"People who paid for SI subscription to read Jon Wertheim columns".

SJW
Aug 22nd, 2006, 05:33 PM
He doesn't want us to see that he steals what we say :D

TomTennis
Aug 22nd, 2006, 05:34 PM
:lol:

Who is going to pay money to hear :bs: from that jackass!!! :lol:

SI can kiss a lot of business goodbye with this change :wavey:

SelesFan70
Aug 22nd, 2006, 06:16 PM
So they are saying that a FREE site's articles can't be posted to another FREE site, so they have to make you subscribe? :confused:

And cnnsi.com doesn't even a "Tennis" section. It lumps tennis in with "Other Sports"... :help:

Mudbone
Aug 22nd, 2006, 06:30 PM
Both Wertheim and Cronin are idiots with lame agenda's anyway .Why pay to read propaganda from two jerks that aren't professional enough to seperate their personal biases from authored opinions?

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 22nd, 2006, 06:41 PM
I dont doubt u your Highness!

lmao!!!:lol:

Rocketta
Aug 22nd, 2006, 06:49 PM
does that Cronin guy really think he's losing out on money by having his material available? :lol: :tape:

Oh well, I read it if it was posted here. :shrug:

rseto
Aug 22nd, 2006, 06:53 PM
i have a feeling it's only the us open preview article by wertheim that is available for subscribers only. the article might also be in the regular issue. i wouldn't be surprised if he'll still answer the mailbag for free. guess we'll find out tomorrow.

MrSerenaWilliams
Aug 22nd, 2006, 07:08 PM
:rolleyes: SI thinks more people VALUE these blogs than they actaully do. And yeah....SI doesn't even have a tennis section...although RACING gets a section :rolleyes: :yawn: :bs:

MH0861
Aug 22nd, 2006, 07:11 PM
I'm a subscriber anyways to Sports Illustrated, I can post his mailbags and stuff if people really want to hear what he has to say. :lol:

miranda_lou
Aug 22nd, 2006, 07:58 PM
Matt Cronin charges $25/year to subscribe to his ********************, and it's well worth it to real tennis fans. I understand why he's angry that people are posting the articles on various websites.:rolleyes: It's not fair and it's also illegal. Also, I don't like it because I'm one of the people who pay $25/year to read it and I resent people cutting and pasting the articles to this board.:mad:

As for Wertheim, I seriously doubt his Mailbag will require a subscription. However, articles that he writes for SI, whether tennis or basketball, usually require a subscription to read on the Internet. It has always been that way for all articles in the current issues of SI. I can't see them charging to read the Mailbag. If that's the case then they should add a message board so we can replay to Wertheim immediately rather than emailing and hoping he replies.

GoDominique
Aug 22nd, 2006, 07:58 PM
Weird, I used to read his mailbag regularly but now I haven't done it for years. :shrug:

So I guess I won't pay. :p

miranda_lou
Aug 22nd, 2006, 08:05 PM
Well, I see the title of Mr. Cronin's blog has been blocked. This morning he issued a threat to this site and I see it has been taken to heart.:lol: :tape:

Carmen Mairena
Aug 22nd, 2006, 08:59 PM
Wait until the WTAworld.com's greeny lines make us pay for posting... :tape:

Rocketta
Aug 22nd, 2006, 09:00 PM
Matt Cronin charges $25/year to subscribe to his ********************, and it's well worth it to real tennis fans. I understand why he's angry that people are posting the articles on various websites.:rolleyes: It's not fair and it's also illegal. Also, I don't like it because I'm one of the people who pay $25/year to read it and I resent people cutting and pasting the articles to this board.:mad:

I'm sorry but his exposure on this site has probably garnered him way more subscribers than if he was just out there on his own. A lot of people come here and if the idiot didn't have his site blocked out many more would see his address and check it out to see what else is there.

I'm a real tennis fan and $25 wouldn't be worth it to me.

and if Cronin can promise that he doesn't go to other websites, find and use the information found there then he might have a reason to be angry but somehow I seriously doubt it. :shrug:

*JR*
Aug 22nd, 2006, 10:04 PM
Joan Crawford simply said on the issue that she'd dress up like an ape if they paid her the right sum, after all Maurice Evans did.
According to Mommie Dearest, she acted like one! :lol:

Mother_Marjorie
Aug 22nd, 2006, 10:24 PM
Well, I never frequented Wertheim or Cronin's columns. They rarely give any more insight into the WTA tour than what you can find here.

I'd much rather pay WTAWorld a $25/year subscription, than tennis sportwriters "Axis of Evil."

Jack
Aug 23rd, 2006, 01:37 AM
The only thing that requires a subscription is the preview article that Wertheim wrote for this week's SI issue. The Ad-In/Ad-Out feature is still free, and I expect the Mailbag to be free as well when it's posted tomorrow.