PDA

View Full Version : Here is a must read article about Lindsay's concussion

Lindsayfan32
Aug 22nd, 2006, 05:21 AM
Here is an article from the New york times that among other things tells you about what lead to Lindsay getting concussion. It was down right scary. Here is the article and the link to the orginal if anybody wants it and also could be Lindsay's last US open.

Davenport Tries to Overcome Disappointment as Well as Injury

By LIZ ROBBINS (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/r/liz_robbins/index.html?inline=nyt-per)
Published: August 22, 2006

Lindsay Davenport (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/d/lindsay_davenport/index.html?inline=nyt-per) is enthusiastically approaching what may be the last United States Open in her 13-year career. Her smile, however, does not reflect the summer of calamity she has had nor the bitterness she feels toward the leadership of women’s tennis.
Enlarge this Image (javascript:pop_me_up2('http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2006/08/22/sports/22tennis.1.ready.html', '22tennis_1_ready', 'width=370,height=600,scrollbars=yes,toolbars=no,r esizable=yes'))
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/08/22/sports/22tennis_190x285.jpg (javascript:pop_me_up2('http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2006/08/22/sports/22tennis.1.ready.html', '22tennis_1_ready', 'width=370,height=600,scrollbars=yes,toolbars=no,r esizable=yes'))Paul Buck/European Pressphoto Agency
‘It’s tough to also enter the final stage of my career with such a bitter taste in my mouth about the Tour. It’s a shame.’ - Lindsay Davenport

Davenport began the year ranked No. 1, but she was sidelined in March by two bulging disks in her back. Her comeback from that injury has been complicated by a mysterious fall at her home in June and the WTA Tour’s refusal to grant her exemptions into tournaments.

“It’s tough to also enter the final stage of my career with such a bitter taste in my mouth about the Tour,” Davenport said Sunday in New Haven, where she was preparing for the Pilot Pen tournament, which began yesterday. “It’s a shame.”

For the first time, Davenport also described in detail the freakish accident that left her with a concussion and contributed to her withdrawing from Wimbledon.

She said she remembered getting out of bed one Friday morning at her home in the Los Angeles area. “The next thing I knew I was five feet from the bed, on the ground,” Davenport said. “I woke up, I was on my back, holding my head. I didn’t know what had happened. I must have hit my head on the dresser.”

She awoke to find her Rottweiler, Scout, standing over her with a tennis ball in his mouth. Her husband, Jon Leach, was already at work. Her mother, Ann, rushed over. Davenport, 30, did not go to a hospital until Monday — she even worked out Friday. During that weekend, however, the pain in her head was searing and the bruise on her right elbow from the fall turned blue and green.

Doctors said she had sustained a concussion and whiplash in the fall. Her elbow had to be immobilized. Davenport anxiously went through a round of heart tests. She declined a brain scan because she is claustrophobic, but she agreed to a week of bed rest.

“I’m over it,” she said Sunday, shrugging. “It’s the only time it’s ever happened to me. I don’t exactly know why I passed out, but I don’t think it’s anything serious. I feel great.”

She was cleared a week later to practice. But when Davenport sought to enter more tournaments to prepare for the United States Open, the chief executive of the WTA Tour, Larry Scott, denied her request. Scott said that she had not met the commitment requirements to be eligible for a wild card, and that he would not invoke a rule that would have given her an exemption.

Davenport, a popular player and the winner of three major championships, an Olympic gold medal and 51 WTA singles titles, considered suing the Tour.

“I have always tried to be very diplomatic and understanding,” she said. “I feel like he is using me as the example as what could happen to a few more players in a few more years.”

The United States Tennis Association spoke to Scott on Davenport’s behalf, asking that she be allowed to play in Montreal and in San Diego. The women’s tournaments this summer have been plagued by numerous star players withdrawing because of injury and breaking their commitments. Davenport, meanwhile, said she wanted to play.

“You’re talking about one of the greatest champions and ambassadors of the sport, someone on the player council for years,” said Arlen Kantarian, the U.S.T.A.’s chief executive of professional tennis, in a telephone interview yesterday. “This seemed to contradict what would have been in the best interest of the sport. They can’t let the rules get in the way of common sense.”

Last fall, Davenport volunteered to forfeit $500,000 of bonus money she receives for entering tournaments so that she could have a more flexible schedule, rather than make commitments she could not keep because of injuries. She said she was not looking for an exception, but believed that her veteran status qualified her under a specific rule to earn wild cards. But Scott interpreted the rule — created for Monica Seles (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/s/monica_seles/index.html?inline=nyt-per) so she could enter tournaments while she was semiretired — to exclude a player who began the season ranked No. 1.

Scott’s long-range goal is to enforce player participation so tournaments can better market their events. Davenport said the Tour must make its calendar more realistic.

“I feel bad about that, that she’s a little bit disheartened,” Scott said yesterday in a telephone interview. “But I’m frankly more concerned right now that we’ve got tournament directors and fans upset. We’re at a juncture where I’m sending a signal that we have to toughen up our entry and commitment rules.”

Ultimately, Davenport did not file suit. “It’s just not my style,” she said. “I didn’t want to be going to court instead of trying to enjoy the last few months, tournaments, or whatever it is.”

Davenport, ranked 11th, is scheduled to play Katarina Srebotnik of Slovenia today in her first match since losing in the first round two weeks ago in Los Angeles. As for the United States Open (which she won in 1998), she said, “I’ve shot myself in the foot before, but chances are it’s the last one.”

She has nothing scheduled beyond next year’s Australian Open. Although she said she wanted to start a family, tennis remains paramount for now. “I’m just not ready for it to be gone yet,” she said. “However many more tournaments I play or however much longer I play, I don’t have anything to lose.

“In New York, I’m going to really try to enjoy the experience of being out there. That’s not something you can always do when you’re in the heat of things.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/22/sports/tennis/22tennis.html?adxnnl=1&ref=sports&adxnnlx=1156220180-LR6prBo9nEpbd0HXPzsDPQ

GrandSlam05
Aug 22nd, 2006, 05:54 AM
Thanks for the article LF32. :wavey: It's kinda sad though. :sad:
Larry Scott is an absolute prick. :fiery: That's crazy that she couldn't play just b/c she "started the season at #1". I don't see what difference that makes. She should've sued the bastards. :devil: Or at least threatened to sue and seen if he called the bluff or not.
And that's really unfortunate about the concussion. Talk about bad luck. Could've had a great shot at Wimbledon this year too. :sad:
I've only been watching women's tennis for about 2 years now, but I just can't imagine it without Lindsay.

Lindsayfan32
Aug 22nd, 2006, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the article LF32. :wavey: It's kinda sad though. :sad:
Larry Scott is an absolute prick. :fiery: That's crazy that she couldn't play just b/c she "started the season at #1". I don't see what difference that makes. She should've sued the bastards. :devil: Or at least threatened to sue and seen if he called the bluff or not.
And that's really unfortunate about the concussion. Talk about bad luck. Could've had a great shot at Wimbledon this year too. :sad:
I've only been watching women's tennis for about 2 years now, but I just can't imagine it without Lindsay.

I have to agree with you on the Larry Scott is prick thing and Lindsay should sue them. I can't help but think next year's Indian wells could be the last time we see Lindsay play and then she retires. I have been following Lindsay since 94 and I know tennis won't be the same without her. The tour could allow to play less so she stays in the game for another year or two without withdrawing from tournments she had no intention of playing but no they site their really dumb rules.

I think if Lindsay could play 10 - 12 tournements a year she would play on but I wouldn't blame her if I'm right the up side of all this she has said she will play in Australia one more so I might go and get tickets to next year's oz open as it might be the first stop on the Lindsay Davenport fairwell tour. Gee I hope I'm dead wrong and she plays out the year.

lindsayno1
Aug 22nd, 2006, 10:24 AM
Thats AWFUL! i'd have sued! Larry scott is such an arse

Nikki
Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the article. Larry has shot himself in the foot as he is trying to promote the tour but failing miserably as Lindsay wanted to play in tournaments and was not allowed, even though some top name players had pulled out. He needs to work better with tournaments and players or he could soon find that the number of tournament declines along with the state of womens tennis. I could understand his reasoning if this had been a new player on the block but for someone with over 13 years on the tour its just wrong.

The tour certainly needs to listen to the players and change some rules for the better.

Having said that its good to see Lindsay back for however long she decides to carry on.

hurricanejeanne
Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:38 AM
This is just as scary as the first time I read about the concussion.
I'm literally shaking. I wonder if this should be posted in GM or not, but then again, it just brings unwanted drama to a player and group of fans that don't desire the drama.

I really hope she shoots herself in the foot reguarding this being her last USO, but considering the heated issues with the tour, mysterious fall, and just her age I can understand why. I just hope she would stand by her whole heart, if she starts 2007, she finishes 2007. This tour sucks without her and will lose its credibility without her.

The tour should have been understanding. She, if she were retiring at the end of the season, should sue them. Lindsay doesn't take anybody's shit and she's has a lot of balls to even talk about this, let alone the concussion that kept her out of Wimbledon. No wonder she was in no hurry to return. I'd be out of my mind in fear if that was me. It almost puts winning matches on a back burner, this is her overall health, this could comeback later down the line, this could happen again on court.

Kudos to the USTA for backing Lindsay. Definate kudos. Larry Scott needs to get his ass kicked and me and my bad shoulder have no problem kicking it.

All I can do is shake my head. I love this woman with all my heart, she's my idol. Part of me would give anything to have her stay forever. It's a bit selfish, but when she walks away, she'll take a lot of my love of this game with her.
Oh precious one...precious Lindsay.

Lindsayfan32
Aug 22nd, 2006, 12:59 PM
This is just as scary as the first time I read about the concussion.
I'm literally shaking. I wonder if this should be posted in GM or not, but then again, it just brings unwanted drama to a player and group of fans that don't desire the drama.

I really hope she shoots herself in the foot reguarding this being her last USO, but considering the heated issues with the tour, mysterious fall, and just her age I can understand why. I just hope she would stand by her whole heart, if she starts 2007, she finishes 2007. This tour sucks without her and will lose its credibility without her.

The tour should have been understanding. She, if she were retiring at the end of the season, should sue them. Lindsay doesn't take anybody's shit and she's has a lot of balls to even talk about this, let alone the concussion that kept her out of Wimbledon. No wonder she was in no hurry to return. I'd be out of my mind in fear if that was me. It almost puts winning matches on a back burner, this is her overall health, this could comeback later down the line, this could happen again on court.

Kudos to the USTA for backing Lindsay. Definate kudos. Larry Scott needs to get his ass kicked and me and my bad shoulder have no problem kicking it.

All I can do is shake my head. I love this woman with all my heart, she's my idol. Part of me would give anything to have her stay forever. It's a bit selfish, but when she walks away, she'll take a lot of my love of this game with her.
Oh precious one...precious Lindsay.

I hope this didn't rattle you too much as that wasn't the intention. But when I first read this article I thought oh crap and a few other words I better not use on this board too. Hurricanejeanne it sounds like you feel the same way I do about Lindsay and by what I've read you've felt this way for a very long time as I have . I'll make a deal with you. You can kick Larry Scott for what's he's done to Lindsay and I'll try and whack him but I can't do it too hard as I might hurt myself as I have shot wrists but it would be well worth one shot at him. Lindsay deserves more respect for what she's done for the game than she's getting. Come to think of it I'll kick him too I don't care if I hurt my knees too much I can get around with hurt knees that aree buggered have been for years anyway. I would like her to stay forever too.

If anything was posted in gm it wasn't me as I only post Lindsay articles here, because you guys are the true fans and I like to share what I find about Lindsay with you.

:worship::worship:

dav abu
Aug 22nd, 2006, 01:30 PM
well said Lindsayfan32. Poor Lindsay as my signature says Fuck Off Larry Scott!

bis2806
Aug 22nd, 2006, 02:09 PM
Larry scott is really getting on my nerves. As the president (or CEO?) of WTA, he thinks he can do whatever he wants to enforce the rules of WTA. But it's definitely beyond logic to deny a WILDCARD to Lindsay.

I'm rather more sad to hear her say that it might be her last US Open :sad:

!<blocparty>!
Aug 22nd, 2006, 02:13 PM
Words cannot describe how fucked up the WTA is.

davenport124
Aug 22nd, 2006, 03:36 PM
Larry Scott is really gettin on my nerves now, a complete idiot that is responsible for the WTA becoming a complete joke. Well done to the USTA for sticking up for Lindsay

Kimmi
Aug 22nd, 2006, 03:59 PM
I think it's great that she's actually standing up and saying "No, this is shit".

Larry Scott can just get to f*ck for all I care. The man is a total :retard:......actually, he's beyond that, but there are no smileys for that.

So yeah, go Lindsay :worship:

mike/topgun
Aug 22nd, 2006, 04:23 PM
Can't agree with you more Lindsafan32.:)
The myserious fall...well there was an article about that some time ago, but it didn't say that it prevented Lindsay from playing in Wimbledon.
Definitely Lindsay should sue LS and the f****d up tour!!!!!, and she also should have done MRI, or CT scan on her head to be absolutely sure everyting is fine.

WTA = :retard:

The Daviator
Aug 22nd, 2006, 06:06 PM
Scout came to her rescue :worship: :lol:

Lindsay has such bad luck, in so many ways, I hope this last spell in her career is completely injury-free and relaxed, Larry Scott :fiery: what a :retard: he needs his P45 now! I also hope she shoots herself in the foot, some good results will likely sway her, as in 2004, so finger's crossed for NH and the Open :)

hurricanejeanne
Aug 22nd, 2006, 08:54 PM
I hope this didn't rattle you too much as that wasn't the intention. But when I first read this article I thought oh crap and a few other words I better not use on this board too. Hurricanejeanne it sounds like you feel the same way I do about Lindsay and by what I've read you've felt this way for a very long time as I have . I'll make a deal with you. You can kick Larry Scott for what's he's done to Lindsay and I'll try and whack him but I can't do it too hard as I might hurt myself as I have shot wrists but it would be well worth one shot at him. Lindsay deserves more respect for what she's done for the game than she's getting. Come to think of it I'll kick him too I don't care if I hurt my knees too much I can get around with hurt knees that aree buggered have been for years anyway. I would like her to stay forever too.

If anything was posted in gm it wasn't me as I only post Lindsay articles here, because you guys are the true fans and I like to share what I find about Lindsay with you.

:worship::worship:

My anger at the tour and Larry Scott was overtaken by the full on shock of what happened with her fall. I'm worried for her health in the future if they found that nothing was wrong...she should have had a brainscan done, just in case. But my anger is immense towards the tour...that is unthinkable.

I may have only been a Lindsay fan for a few years, but it feels like a lifetime. My only regret is not getting into this sport sooner, she is an amazing role model and someone who I am proud to site as my favorite sportswomen.

I'll beat the crap out of Larry Scott with anything I can find. I fight dirty. I just have to be a touch careful myself, this left rotator cuff of mine has been out of wack for over a week now. ;)

I would love her to stay forever, but that's not possible, it's just I know one thing for sure, when she does leave tennis behind, she'll be well taken care of.

And I see this was posted in GM, but those that posted in it were very mature. When news got out about her fall and concussion on another board so very evil things were said, and that had me worried.

Oh, and I did think it was fitting that Scout was hanging over her when she woke up. I figured one of her dogs would be. :lol:

Lindsayfan32
Aug 22nd, 2006, 09:49 PM
If anything evil was said about this on anyboard I would tell them where to go and what I thought of it. You can't make a joke out of what happened to Lindsay I hate to think what the people on other board use for brains or for that matter if they've got one at all. I knew when I posted it here that there wouldn't be any crap so that's what I posted it. Hopefully the next article I post will be about a Lindsay winning New Haven or the US open.

hurricanejeanne
Aug 22nd, 2006, 10:05 PM
If anything evil was said about this on anyboard I would tell them where to go and what I thought of it. You can't make a joke out of what happened to Lindsay I hate to think what the people on other board use for brains or for that matter if they've got one at all. I knew when I posted it here that there wouldn't be any crap so that's what I posted it. Hopefully the next article I post will be about a Lindsay winning New Haven or the US open.

yeah, me and another Lindsay fan had some not so nice words for them. meh, it wasn't fun.

oh, I just hope Lindsay wins a match before anything else at this point.

CrossCourt~Rally
Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:07 PM
:speakles: I can't believe how much of an IDIOT Larry Scott is. Lindsay is a true lady though... a lesser person would have caused a huge stink about this .
I hope Lindsay wins the US OPEN and then retires ON TOP :cool: :bounce:

lindsayno1
Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:18 PM
if it had been sharapova i bet he would ahve let her play...