PDA

View Full Version : Question About Mary's Ranking

Declan
Aug 20th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Something is puzzling me about Mary's ranking. On the WTA website they listed her in the August 14th rankings at No.13, having played 9 tournaments. Surely this isn't correct? In the last year she has only played the US Open, Moscow, the Year End Championships, the Australian Open, the Paris Indoors and the recent San Diego event. Am I missing any? Even if they count Fed Cup -which I'm not sure they do - there's only last September's final against Russia. So where have they got their figures?

squig2k
Aug 20th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Something is puzzling me about Mary's ranking. On the WTA website they listed her in the August 14th rankings at No.13, having played 9 tournaments. Surely this isn't correct? In the last year she has only played the US Open, Moscow, the Year End Championships, the Australian Open, the Paris Indoors and the recent San Diego event. Am I missing any? Even if they count Fed Cup -which I'm not sure they do - there's only last September's final against Russia. So where have they got their figures?

i know, ive noticed that its been 9 tournaments since before roland garros i think! it should be 6 tournaments!

RJWCapriati
Aug 20th, 2006, 05:34 PM

Maybe they count Fed Cup too??

stefi62
Aug 20th, 2006, 05:53 PM
No, they definately don't count Fed Cup. Might be because some tournaments, even if not played, count as 0pts in the player's number of points, such as Madatory Tier I Miami and GS (for Mary both RG and Wimbly)... That's the only explanation that comes to my mind...

squig2k
Aug 20th, 2006, 06:15 PM
No, they definately don't count Fed Cup. Might be because some tournaments, even if not played, count as 0pts in the player's number of points, such as Madatory Tier I Miami and GS (for Mary both RG and Wimbly)... That's the only explanation that comes to my mind...

quite likely actually, mary missed all 3 of thos mandatory tournaments and that would make it 9

Wizzy Maryfan
Aug 20th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Yep i was thinking to that this morning during my bath ! lol !

Strange that I thought to it the asme day as Declan ...

So Mary has in fact 6 tournaments to defend ...

But the most important is to be on court, rankings will follow if she's in shape.

Go Mary, Play and Win :bounce:

Paul.
Aug 20th, 2006, 07:29 PM
heres a link to the explanation which is miami and wimby and RG

its all in the first paragraph ;)

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/global/includes/TrackIt.asp?file=/global/Pdfs/rankings/howitworks.pdf

Declan
Aug 20th, 2006, 07:57 PM
That is SO unfair!!! It's different if someone withdraws for no good reason, but I think it should be disregarded if a player is genuinely injured.

Wizzy Maryfan
Aug 20th, 2006, 08:56 PM
That is SO unfair!!! It's different if someone withdraws for no good reason, but I think it should be disregarded if a player is genuinely injured.

don't worry mary won't suffer this rule cause she'll never played 12 tournaments til the end of the year ;)

Ca concerne plutot les nanas qui jouent toutes les semaines et font leurs points comme ça plutot qu'en grande performance, comme miss Petrova qui patit à 100% d'une telle règle, puisque du coup, seules ses 13 meilleures performances sont prises en compte + els chelems (1er tour Rg, absente Wimbledon).

> Bien fait !