PDA

View Full Version : The CharlDa, Laura, Rohin and Shaun reports and pics thread!

¤CharlDa¤
Aug 18th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Hey guys!

I guess all of us are back home (well except our Aussie!) and it's time for reports and pictures! We had so much fun together, it was great meeting a lot of people from here (Alain, Anik, Pat, Troy, Paul, Randy, Justin, David to name a few!)

I personnally went from saturday to wednesday, so I saw loads of matches and lots of things happened (especially with the crazy week for our quebec girls!). So I'm looking forward to writing them here, and everyone that was there and hung out with me is free to do so too!

I'll have a lot of free time at work tomorrow, so surely I'll write it all tomorrow. I also have a lot of pics. Most likely I'll post only the best ones here, but if some people want more about some players, feel free to ask!

DutchieGirl
Aug 18th, 2006, 05:14 AM
:D Sounds fun!

Meteor Shower
Aug 18th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Wow, 5 days will be tough to remember me thinks.
looking forward to it :)

myxomatosis
Aug 18th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Hmmm I'll have to put some pics up soon, although my camera is about 6+ years old and has a craptastic zoom so I'm not so sure how they turned out...

I'll report more when I'm more awake. :lol:

DutchieGirl
Aug 18th, 2006, 09:08 PM
^^ WAKE UP then! :p

~CANUCK~
Aug 18th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Yup I was there on Saturday and Monday. I will start to post some pics and if i can figure it out, i will post some vids i took of like one or 2 points from some matches.

~CANUCK~
Aug 18th, 2006, 09:26 PM
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i23/_canuck_/100_9279.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i23/_canuck_/100_9273.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i23/_canuck_/100_9281.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i23/_canuck_/100_9291.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i23/_canuck_/100_9292.jpg

~CANUCK~
Aug 18th, 2006, 09:34 PM
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=9430CFBD67CF7C49

A vid of Peer from her first round match. Its just one point.

Drake1980
Aug 18th, 2006, 10:11 PM
I sure hope you found out about Maureen/Nicole and how the team was formed

myxomatosis
Aug 18th, 2006, 10:17 PM
I sure hope you found out about Maureen/Nicole and how the team was formedI think that may remain a mystery for the ages... :unsure:

Shaun, who was that other doubles team we couldn't figure out how they got together?

I enjoyed our impromptu game of hackey sack tennis during the rain delay. Shaun, you and I so would have won if Rohin hadn't been aiming to injure us by hitting directly at our bodies. :lol:
Hackey sack tennis should be in the olympics. In fact, I will begin a petition to get it in.

DutchieGirl
Aug 18th, 2006, 10:45 PM
:lol: Typical Rohin! ;)

~CANUCK~
Aug 18th, 2006, 10:48 PM
I think that may remain a mystery for the ages... :unsure:

Shaun, who was that other doubles team we couldn't figure out how they got together?

I enjoyed our impromptu game of hackey sack tennis during the rain delay. Shaun, you and I so would have won if Rohin hadn't been aiming to injure us by hitting directly at our bodies. :lol:
Hackey sack tennis should be in the olympics. In fact, I will begin a petition to get it in.
That would be alicia and gelina :lol:
Im still convinced alicia was walking around with a sign saying plz someone play dubs with me and gelina was the only one around.

¤CharlDa¤
Aug 18th, 2006, 11:15 PM
I wrote my saturday, sunday and part of my monday reports! It helped a lot looking at the order of plays and the dates of my pictures to know what happened! I'll post the saturday and sunday reports and pics just now!

¤CharlDa¤
Aug 18th, 2006, 11:16 PM
And I'd like to let you know that me and Rohin WON that hackey sack match very fairly. Rohin is known for stealing things, but not tennis matches. Thanks.

¤CharlDa¤
Aug 18th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Saturday – First qualifying round

The order of play made it quite obvious for me. As a Canadian tennis freak, this day would be my heaven. Loads of Canadian WCs playing in the first round, most without any chance, but I was still excited to see them play! First up on center court was Sharon Fichman. Shaun and Troy, whom I had picked up one hour before, were excited to see Sharon for the first time. I personally had seen her, so I left them there for the first set and went down in the grounds to look around for players practicing. Of course, a lot of them were, including Stephanie Dubois, who was hitting with Sybille Bammer. Stephanie’s focus was clearly to take the ball a little earlier, on the rise, and to keep attacking. Sybille was really mixing it up well, so the contrast made it quite interesting. I had the chance to meet Marc-André, Steph’s boyfriend, for the second time, and we talked for close to an hour about Steph’s results, her career and all. It was really interesting and he’s a great guy for her and such a good influence! After Steph finished, I joined Shaun and Troy on Center Court to watch the end of Sharon – Voskoboeva.

Sharon Fichman vs Galina Voskoboeva

Sharon’s game didn’t change much in the past year. She still runs around like crazy, gets to so many balls, and loves to change the rhythm with high balls and slices. Voskoboeva had to really step it up and attack constantly, which isn’t really her cup of tea. In the first, it worked well, as she won 6-3 in a set that won’t be remembered too long. The second was better though. Sharon really started to use her speed to get to balls, but also to stay a little more aggressive. She did use her high balls again, but it was more to create and opportunity. I was glad to see her evolve in this aspect, though her amount of winners still was close to inexistent. She was up in about all the games in that set, had a lot of break points, but managed to convert only once. She led 4-3 serving, but then got broken, and Galina held for 5-4. Sharon then played shaky points, and gave Galina a match point that she saved. Sharon then held and broke for 6-5. She had a set point serving for it, maybe even two, but she couldn’t convert. In the tie break, Galina really raised her game, played aggressive tennis and it gave her the match in two sets. Still a good showing from Sharon, who I still think should be more aggressive, because she clearly has those shots when she practices. Hopefully she’ll get rid of that lack of confidence in match play soon!

Rebecca Marino vs Jamea Jackson

I really like JamJam and I was really looking forward to seeing Marino play, so I headed to court Banque Nationale to catch a piece of it. When we arrived, it was already 3-0 in the first for Jamea. Rebecca, Rebecca, Rebecca….She is such a cute girl and really looks like Jillian O’Neill on court. Her serve is so big; she really hits it as hard as anyone. But the moment Jamea was putting it back in play, Marino would just hit her way to unforced errors. She has nice shots, but she couldn’t put more than 2-3 in play. Jamea played ok, she didn’t have to do much, and was just helping Marino to miss her shots. Marino had few chances to get a game on her serve at the end of the match, but sadly she couldn’t. The first (and only) double bagel of the tournament was finished. Marino had to beat Melanie Gloria in pre-qualies to get the WC, I can’t believe Mel lost to her. Hopefully Gloria will manage to find her forehand again.

Jillian O’Neill vs Ivana Lisjak

I had never seen Lisjak play and was looking forward to it. I knew Jillian’s chances were slim, but she hits really well and her serve is big so I expected her to get some good games in, just like last year (where she did a close 6-4 to Safarova). But when the match started, it was clear that Lisjak was in a great day. After the first game, she had already 2-3 winners, 2 fist pumps and one come on. I expected her to hit with a little more topspin, but she was really hitting hard and flat in the corners. The first set ended 6-0, but Jillian didn’t play bad. Most likely one of the best sets I saw her play. But each time she would do a great serve and a nice attacking groundstroke, Lisjak would come out with a big winner and some amazing defensive shots. Second set was exactly the same story, until 5-0 for Lisjak. Then Jillian played such a great serving game, a lot of one-two-punches, and managed to get a game in, for the crowd’s pleasure. She then played another amazing game to break Lisjak, including two return winners in a row to end it. I was really happy she got those games, because she played way too well to be double-bagelled. She then had one or two chances to get another game on her serve, but Lisjak managed to raise her game and win it 6-0 6-2. Still a nice showing for Jillian who sadly faced a player that was on fire. Random fact: Jillian is the sweetest thing ever, and she should really get out of her coaching situation. Martin Simon did enough trouble with some of our players and it seems it will keep on going this way for Jillian. Simon is great for technique, one of the best, but for the mental aspect, he is horrible. A little too aggressive for me with the girls. I guess it depends of the players and what they need. But I know he is a reason why Mel couldn’t build on that great Bell Challenge.

Ekaterina Shulaeva vs Vera Dushevina

When I left court Banque Nationale after Jill’s match, I walked around the grounds and chatted with some people I knew, until I heard that Shulaeva was doing it again: she was leading 5-3 against Vera Dushevina. I decided to go over there to watch the end of it, and when I arrived, I saw Vera had won the first set 7-6. It looks like Ekaterina had like 2-3-4 set points, including some at 5-4 and some in the tiebreak, but couldn’t close it out. For the people who don’t know, Shulaeva is starting to get known in Canada with some amazing results in challengers, but also for her lack of tournament play and what seems to be a fragile body. She catched a virus last year who prevented her to play a lot of tournaments, but despite saying she would play more this year, we’ve yet seen it from her. But each time she plays, she beats some players ranked way higher than her quite easily, and we’ve yet to see her lose before the quarterfinals in the 4 25Ks which were played in Canada this year. I had barely seen her play in Quebec City in the end of 2003, so I was really looking forward to seeing her again. I think the word to describe her game is: interesting. She is quite consistent and aggressive, but her shots are like really flat, but almost like sliced. Later in the tourney, I saw Santangelo’s game and despite Mara being at another level, their techniques are similar. As for Vera, I don’t know what happened to her, but it seems her game didn’t change in the past years. When she stormed out on tour, she really was a good prospect, but I don’t think she evolved at all. Her backhand is still really good and it seems she hits the ball hard without any effort. But her forehand and second serve looked so shaky all week. That’s what Ekat picked on in the first, it worked, but in the second, Vera raised her game and I think Ekat was still thinking about her first set. Ekat broke to start, but then lost 6 games in a row for 6-1. She still showed that she could really get in top 200 if she would play a lot more, and maybe get a little stronger. She was a little too thin for me, and I guess that some more muscular mass could prevent her from getting injured.

Valérie Tétreault vs Julia Schruff

What an unlucky draw for Valerie! She has had such a fantastic year, way better than anyone, including her, expected. It really clicked at the end of last year when she started to work with Yan Mathieu, and since then the partnership is going strong. Val lost some weight, gained SO MUCH confidence, and is now a little more aggressive in her play. And that led her to being ranked 275th with 12 tournaments, including three 25K finals, one 10K final and a 25K semi-final. When everyone saw she was facing Schruff, we all knew she got unlucky. With all this talk about who between Marie-Eve and Valérie should get the final WC in the main draw, and Mara getting it, we knew Valerie had a shot at qualifying. But in the end, her draw didn’t help her much. The first set was usual. Valérie wasn’t used to that level, and was often wrong-footed and late on balls that were so heavy from Julia. The German played a perfect set though, returning incredibly well. Valérie held her serve once in the first and broke once, but lost 6-2 to a dominating Schruff. Despite the same score, the second set couldn’t have been more different: all the games were incredibly close, but one thing stood out: both players had trouble holding serve. Until 3-2 for Schruff, it was only breaks in the second. Then Julia served for 4-2, and Val went down 0-40 in her service games. She fought those three break points, and had few chances to get to 4-3, but Julia managed to get the break and then serve for it. Nice experience for Val, who saw what she had to focus on, especially the serve and being ready for the return, and now she is heading off for a few weeks of physical training. She needs to get more muscle definition and mass now that she lost her baby fat. Keep on going girl, we are behind ya!

Parts of matches I saw:

Tiantian Sun vs Alberta Brianti: This seems like the match of the day. I didn’t check much, because I was watching other matches or practices, but the grunts and the cheers really made it look unbelievable. Long rallies from what I saw.

Miho Saeki vs Varvara Lepchenko: I had never seen them and was looking forward to it, especially Varvara. Her lefty game really impressed me, her forehand rocks, her backhand is quite solid, but I expected maybe a better serve. Tricky spin on it though. Saeki was really a normal Japanese player, hitting flat without much variety.

Shenay Perry vs Carly Gullickson: Both players are great friends, so it was quite funny. They were talking and laughing during the golf cart ride to the court, which is quite unusual! Shenay really raised her game though, and she really is more complete than Carly. I watched a few games at the start of the second, and it was unreturned-serve galore!

Ahsha Rolle vs Anastasia Rodionova: Nastya is always entertaining to watch. But she was quite calm during that match surprisingly. I never knew Rolle was that…hum…large. She was totally killed in the 4 games I watched, so I left at 4-1 in the second, Nastya serving. I’m still wondering how this got to 6-4.

Random Comments:

- Shaun and Troy were my favourite lobsters at the end of the day. I’ve never seen someone that red, sorry Troy ;)

- Steph practicing with Molik was quite funny. There was about one foot of difference between both.

- I talked about Mirza with the Quebec City tourney director, and he agreed she would be a great player for the tournament.

- Nicole Vaidisova played a tennis match against Tampa Bay Lightning captain Vincent Lecavalier. There was obvious flirting going on by Vincent. Nicole was better at hockey that Vincent was at tennis though :p

- I took a picture with Laura Granville, who didn't expect to being recognized. So when the pic was taken, she said Thanks :lol:

¤CharlDa¤
Aug 18th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Some of my saturday pics

Jamea Jackson

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/4963/img0284un1.jpg

Ekaterina Shulaeva

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/7546/img0288ft7.jpg

Me and Laura Granville

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/1066/img0292st8.jpg

Sania Mirza

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/9930/img0296ra3.jpg

Nicole (while playing with Lecavalier)

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6240/img0301oj1.jpg

Nicole (with Melanie Marois in front)

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/8950/img0302hh9.jpg

¤CharlDa¤
Aug 18th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Sorry if all of this is quite long, but I did it in paragraphs with titles if you want to read only parts of it!

¤CharlDa¤
Aug 18th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Sunday – Final round of qualifying

After me and Shaun went out and had so much fun at the Unity on Saturday night, he decided not to come on Sunday, he was lacking sleep and also looked burgundy because of the sun. So I headed there alone, planning to meet Randy, Paul, Justin, Karl, and Alain over there. This of course happened. Spend most of my day around the grounds, didn’t see much matches because most of them didn’t have much interest for me. Me and Paul spent some time together, it was a reminder of last year in Toronto, quite fun! And we both love Marta now ;)

Marta Domachowska vs Selima Sfar

Marta really was, with Shahar, my best tennis discovery of the week. I really like her game and her personality. Two very different styles in that match, which made in entertaining for the spectators. But Marta’s deep, hard and flat shots really were too much for Selima, who, by the way, looks quite old. Another sweetie though! Funny fact, both Marta and Selima were hitting like seconds away before there match, and Selima even was late on the court. Paul and I watched Marta practicing, and I was joined by Jack Hérisset, the tourney director of Quebec City, who asked me about Marta. I knew Marta was the type of players Quebec City needs to I told him. He went directly to Sven Groeneveld, and started exchanging business cards and laughs with him. So then Marta came out of the tour, and Paul asked her in Polish (pOOOOlish and not POLLLLLish, I know Paul ;) ) to take a picture. So she did with him and then me. So I asked her if she planned coming to Quebec City, and she said: yeah I really think I will. And then I told her: Good, cause your coach is talking to the tournament director right now. She laughed and we wished her good luck. Nice girl, I wish to see her later this year at the Bell Challenge!

Tzipora Obziler vs. (17) Stephanie Foretz

I just went to watch both tie breaks and let me tell y’all, if the match was always this way, it rocked! First set tie break was crazy, ending like 12-10, Tzipi had so many set points and Foretz only a few, but still, both players were putting so many balls in play. Tzipi was still on her Washington wave, and it showed: she looks way more confident than when I saw her in Quebec City 2004. She won the second 7-6(5) also, in what seemed to be a good match. Both players had a similar style though.

Liga Dekmeijere vs. (19) Virginie Razzano

Liga was once again playing against someone that is clearly at another level. Virginie hits so hard from the ground, and though Liga’s forehand was able to follow, her backhand and movement really weren’t there. Razzano won easily, to nobody’s surprise.

Ting Li (Sr) vs. Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez

I wanted to see Martinez Sanchez play. I expected a loopy, spinny player, made for clay. Boy was I surprised! She was hitting her backhand like crazy, so flat, really attacking. Ting Li was her usual self. She isn’t really the best singles player, but she really gave all she had. She was running well and putting the balls back in play, it was really an interesting match that I didn’t expect.

(6) Vera Dushevina vs. (24) Varvara Lepchenko

What Ekaterina couldn’t do, Varvara did it well against Vera. She really got to her forehand and attacked the second serve. Varvara’s serve was so effective, the lefty spin on it really gave Vera some trouble. Nice showing from Varvara, and I’m still wondering what happened with Vera in the past year.

Tétreault/Fichman vs Chakvetadze/Vesnina

What a great qualy draw for Val and Sharon…..NOT! The two Russians were playing like crazy, hitting so hard. Vesnina is a great doubles player, she won Quebec City last year, and Anna really was playing well. Sharon won two Doubles Junior Grand Slams this year and it is really visible that she is a natural doubles player. Val worked hard on her doubles play, it still needs work, but it was good. Val and Sharon tried their best, but the other team was just superb. On match point, Val did a great first serve, which Anna C whacked down the line even harder. Val and Sharon didn’t seem that disappointed, and Jillian helped for that: when the two girls came out of the court, she was dancing and hugging and were like: you rock girls! It was a nice moment. I then started talking with Val’s mom and Val herself, it was really fun and interesting. Both are so nice. First thing we knew, we were walking together, and we talked, in a circle, for like 1 hour in the middle of nowhere! I learned so much about the tour and about Val and her family, it was amazing. Thanks a lot to them.

Random Comments:

- Fedossova is a practice whore ;) She really hit a lot of times with different people. I even talked about her game not going anywhere right beside her coach who spoke French and looked at me.

- Razzano was funny when I asked for a pic. Vite! Vite! Je dois aller jouer! (Fast, Fast, I need to go play !)

- Witnessed Santangelo’s game for the first time. As weird as it gets. But quite effective.

- Shahar and Dechy played a practice set. Shahar played so well, first time I saw her play, and she was so nice. I asked her for a picture afterwards, she said sure but then the cart really had to leave, so she smiled at me and said: later ok? And I managed to take a pic of her grinning going in the golf cart :lol:

- I was taking pictures of Marie-Eve with her coach, when suddenly Mara’s boyfriend sees me, looks at me in such a mean way, comes and sit on the mini-fence, right in front of me to hide Marie-Eve. I was like: Whoa biatch! Anik was on the other side, and the photographer in her got so pissed. She moved her hands around telling me to make him leave. But then he left, and Marie-Eve saw me, smiled and I have a very nice pic! In your face Julien!

- Molik was waiting to get in to watch a match. Some old guy goes to her for an autograph, and I was like: hum, time for a picture with Alicia! So I go, ask her, and she felt like she had to be nice so she said sure, but you could see in your face how she really didn’t want to. So I took the pic and left her alone ;) But funny enough, the old guy came back running with his wife, who was holding a picture camera, and she had to take a pic with them :lol: Poor Alicia.

- Medina Garrigues is such a hard-trainer. It seems like she’ll die on court every time. She had some fun with her coach though, who was at net and returning everything!

- I left the courts to go pick up Laura at the train station, and we walked around with Rohin in Montreal for most of the night. We had a lot of fun!

¤CharlDa¤
Aug 18th, 2006, 11:58 PM
My sunday pictures

Youlia Fedossova

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/761/img0308iy7.jpg

Me and Marta

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/2250/img0310xd5.jpg

Me and Razzano

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1782/img0311mf2.jpg

Marta D

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/5277/img0315qa3.jpg

Misa K

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/9650/img0318gr2.jpg

Nathalie Dechy

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/1551/img0320om5.jpg

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/8738/img0324tl4.jpg

¤CharlDa¤
Aug 19th, 2006, 12:05 AM
My sunday pics part II!

Shahar Peer

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9549/img0321lt2.jpg

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/8762/img0326zm9.jpg

Anabel Medina Garrigues

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/8818/img0329mm9.jpg

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/6207/img0327qc7.jpg

Me and Alicia Molik

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7397/img0333la0.jpg

Marie-Eve Pelletier

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5281/img0332bx8.jpg

DutchieGirl
Aug 19th, 2006, 12:36 AM
:worship: CD :D

TF Chipmunk
Aug 19th, 2006, 03:09 AM
Charles :bowdown:

¤CharlDa¤
Aug 19th, 2006, 03:17 AM
Keep on worshipping me, I love it!

DutchieGirl
Aug 19th, 2006, 04:25 AM
Keep on worshipping me, I love it!

:lol: Maybe when you post your Monday report... :p

Harju.
Aug 19th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Thanks CD.

You'd better come out with a random Tati report :tape: :p

myxomatosis
Aug 19th, 2006, 07:19 PM
You'd better come out with a random Tati report :tape: :pLaura's random Tati report:

She played Ana. She lost. Fairly easily.
In fairness though, Ana was on fire. CD and I were surprised that she didn't have her ankle taped.

That's about all. :lol:
My reports rock.

stevos
Aug 19th, 2006, 09:39 PM
LOL Laura! Just found this thread. Great depth there CD ;) I wish I lived in Montreal, or Toronto next year, but I will have my licence and come down and see you guys there next year okay? Keep the reports comin!

¤CharlDa¤
Aug 19th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Monday – First round

Not a lot of my favourite girls were playing, but it still looked like a great day of tennis. Laura and I went up to pick Shaun, and we spent the entire day together with Rohin. We had a lot of fun!

Medina Garrigues vs Granville

Do you agree with me that sometimes having two of your faves facing in fun, but other times it sucks? Well this one fell in the second category. Laura played really well in the first, taking an early break and keeping it until like 4-3, when Anabel broke back. Anabel really was just running and putting balls in play, she did like 3-4 winners in the set. Laura was the one taking charge, and that made me realise she was the one I preferred between the two. I started cheering for her, and Anabel started getting on my nerves lol. I remember her as a player who was indeed running a lot of balls, but she was also doing some nice counter-attacks. But in that match, she was just putting the balls in play. But it worked. Laura stayed aggressive but missed easy balls that could have made the difference. Second set was the exact same story and Laura was out of the tournament. Too bad, because, in my opinion, she was the one who deserved the match there. Most likely I’ll see her again in Quebec City :D

Krajicek vs Srebotnik

I headed to center court to watch the end of that match. It seemed like an interesting one. The crowd was sooooo behind Misa! And I could understand why: she was the one dominating most of the rallies. Her serve, which I expected to be so hard, isn’t that fast. It’s just so well-placed! She did one ace that really landed right on the line on the ad-court, but the serve was like one foot from the net, it was crazy! She really should have won that second set, but she just missed too many balls and Kat managed to finish a lot of her points at the net where she was superb. Funny story: when Kat won, people didn’t care that much. She was quite happy, so she hit some balls in the crowd, but people weren’t watching. One of her ball arrived directly in the way where people were going out, and on someone’s head :lol:

Bammer vs Santangelo

We arrived for the end of the match. It was a very nice match from what we’ve seen. Sybille just missed a little too much in the end, and it led to Mara taking a big lead. Sybille really did some nice winners though, but Mara was too good at the net and very consistent from the ground. Mara also didn’t have much trouble with Sybille’s slices and junk. Mara’s serve also was really good, so she was tough to break. Sybille’s husband was sitting just beside us with like some drawing books and pencils. At the end, we saw Sybille’s little daughter that was sitting a little higher, she is the cutest thing ever. Very very blond hair, she looks like an angel. I don’t know if she realised her mommy had just lost. She seemed very comfortable in the tennis world though, I guess she is used to it.

Lepchenko vs Peer

I was really looking forward to that match, because those two were players I discovered this week. When it started, it wasn’t clear to anyone who was the highest ranked. Lepchenko was just playing out of her mind. She led 4-0, doing so many winners and just hitting incredibly well. Shahar was playing really good, but she just couldn’t do anything with those balls. Lepchenko has a nice spin on them, and being a lefty, it led to confusing Peer. But when Peer raised her game, and started attacking before Varvara and just running everything down like crazy. She won 6 games in a row, and the set 6-4. The level of play was really impressive though and it was so empty in the stands. People who were there knew it was good though! Second set was very different. Both players followed each other, until Peer broke and kept her break until the end to win 6-4 6-4. When she came out of the court, I took my chance to take a picture with her. So I gave my camera to Shaun who sucks at taking pictures :angel: But good thing, Justin take one too that is better ;) Very nice girl!

Safarova vs Razzano

We got to see part of that match. Safarova hits so hard, and so does Razzano. Lucie was just a little more consistent at it. Virginie really fought well to keep the match close, she was really trying to get herself into it with the Allez’s and the Come On’s. It partially worked for her, but both sets really were close until the end. I was glad Lucie won, because I really was looking forward to her match against Nicole. (Rightfully so after the great match that was!)

Brianti vs Mirza

I expected Mirza to kill Brianti. After all I’ve seen of Mirza and the hype around her, I really expected better. She hits well, her ground strokes are really heavy but that’s about it. She got down 0-2 with unforced errors, but then won 7 games in a row, totally overpowering Brianti. Alberta obviously built her game around Justine’s. She is as small, and her game is so similar. It’s starting to work well for her. At 6-2 1-0, we left for practice courts and then dinner, and when we came back and saw the 2-6 6-1 6-2 score, we all started laughing. Poor Mirza can’t live to her hype. Don’t take me wrong, she plays well. But she’ll never do anything really big.

Ana Ivanovic vs Tatiana Golovin

This match really was looking to be a very pretty, but also very entertaining match. When both players stepped on court, they looked amazing in their black and white outfits. When the match started, it was clear Ivanovic was in a great day. She was hitting so flat and very heavy, especially on her forehand. She jumped to a 5-1 lead in the first, as Golovin looked helpless despite her obvious talent. But Tati held for 2-5, and then used a very bad game from Ivanovic, the first one, to reduce her deficit to one break. She then served a good game, but Ana came back to her old self to serve out the first set that was really good. Second set started closer, but then Ana showed why she always was considered as a future Slam contender and possible number one player. She did what I consider to be the most dominating tennis I’ve ever seen. Golovin was hitting some good serves in, and Ana would just destroy them and hit a return winner. It was really amazing, especially on her forehand. Her serve was also brilliant which led her to easy points. In the end of the second set, in the last two games, she did seven winners in nine points. Enough said. Not surprised at all to see Ana still in the tournament right now.

Dubois vs Garbin – Part I

Well you know me, as Steph’s biggest fan, I was so excited for that match. What a chance that was for her! First falling against a qualifier was of course a good draw. But being the lucky one to face a lucky loser was even better. Garbin is very experienced, she reached the finals in Palermo this year, but she is clearly better on slower surfaces, and the center court in Montreal was quite fast this year. So I was hopeful! When Steph came out, I was dying, so nervous. I knew it was such a great chance for her to make her mark in history and also a chance to play against Kim the night after (if only I knew what would happen then!) The crowd was already into it before the coin toss. Everyone was clapping, cheering, it was amazing and quite rare for a women’s match. When Steph won the first point of the match on Garbin’s serve, the crowd erupted: a sign of the things to come. Despite losing the next 4 points, it was clear Stephanie could do it. She then won her service game quite easily and then started to get on a roll. She was running everything down, putting some pressure on Garbin, doing nice passing shots, and first thing we knew, Stephanie was leading 5-1. The tension was really palpable. Garbin held for 2-5, but then Steph had the chance to serve it out for the first time. She led 40-15, had two set points, but failed to deliver on those important points. Her game wasn’t the same. She was more playing not to lose than to win. She was still running around like the little bunny she is, but her balls were too defensive and she just didn’t want to miss. But Garbin got inside the baseline and started attacking them quite well. Garbin then held for 4-5 and Steph had another chance to get that so important first set. She kept her defensive play, but surprisingly the experienced Italian missed some easy balls to give Steph two more set points. On her first one, Garbin sent a forehand long, and the crowd got crazy. It’s been a LONG time since Canadian won a first round in Montreal, and no one since Pelletier in 2003 has been close recently. Stephanie had done half of the job, and to everyone’s delight, we all knew that if she would come back to her less-nervous-more-attack-minded game plan, she’d be ok. But it really didn’t seem to go this way in the first game, when Garbin won her serve quite easily. Stephanie saved two break points in the second game, and when at deuce, the rain started to pour down quite heavily. Play was suspended of course. When Steph came out of the court, the crowd was ecstatic. She waved at the crowd, who of course fell in love, like I did years ago, for that little 5-foot-4 youngster with the big heart. Steph was understandingly disappointed not to finish her match on that night when they announced that play was done for the night. But she was ready to come back on court on Tuesday and finish the job she had started so well.

Random comments:

- I took a pic with Jamea. Sadly it is blurry, but she is such a nice girl. I congratulated her for her nice wins and said: Good Luck JamJam. She looked at me with a big smile and said Thanks. I guess she is getting used to that nickname.

- Our Laura (myxomatosis) shares her pout with Justine Henin-Hardenne. The resemblance is quite something (judge by yourself in the pics coming up next)

- I walked by Audrey Robert-Bordeleau, whom I’ve known and play with for years and years now. She is playing in NCAA for the University of Arkansas right now and seems to really like it, even though she finds it tough to leave for almost the entire year. She said: Did you take pictures with some players yet? I was like of course and then I turned at her and said: OMG It’s Audrey Robert-Bordeleau, can we take a picture? She laughed and we took a picture, but it’s so great!

- Rohin and I won a great match of aki tennis played during the rain delay against Laura and Shaun. Rohin’s aggressive poaching was the key of our win.

- Rohin is such a stealer. We were like 3 seconds away from having some free programs (which I must say are getting so expensive), but a girl dressed in a Rogers Cup shirt just came out of nowhere. Those damn rich people get all of those things free and they have the money to pay for it and we can’t. Pffft.

- Anik took a pic of me and Carly with her very very expensive camera, so I’m sure it will look amazing. This pic if for you Martijn ;)

DutchieGirl
Aug 19th, 2006, 10:18 PM
and the pics? :p

¤CharlDa¤
Aug 19th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Sybille Bammer

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6294/img0334vu8.jpg

Mara Santangelo

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1399/img0338vt6.jpg

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6408/img0341we2.jpg

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/4462/img0339hk9.jpg

Shahar Peer

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/7592/img0342sx1.jpg

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/7346/img0352ba0.jpg

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/7463/img0354wh4.jpg

Me and Shahar
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/9207/img0360tz2.jpg

¤CharlDa¤
Aug 19th, 2006, 10:25 PM
and the pics? :p

Calm down honey ;) Part II is coming :angel:

¤CharlDa¤
Aug 19th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Varvara Lepchenko

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/8708/img0343sc2.jpg

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/6273/img0345rg5.jpg

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/9800/img0349lo6.jpg

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/3817/img0350he9.jpg

Jamea Jackson

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/8122/img0362mj2.jpg

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/9165/img0366cu4.jpg

Me and Jamea

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/78/img0368xo7.jpg

Audrey Robert-Bordeleau and Me

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/2947/img0371iu8.jpg

The Justine Look-a-like

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/333/img0372li7.jpg

¤CharlDa¤
Aug 19th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Might do Tuesday and Wednesday's tonight if I have some time! I have amazing pictures of Danka and Jamea from their match!

DutchieGirl
Aug 19th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Calm down honey ;) Part II is coming :angel:

:woohoo: ;) :angel:

Winnie
Aug 19th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Great pictures!justine :lol:

Dexter
Aug 19th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Thanks for reports and pics! :D Great read! :yeah:
So nice to hear you guys had fun! :hug:

Rohin.
Aug 20th, 2006, 01:38 AM
And I'd like to let you know that me and Rohin WON that hackey sack match very fairly. Rohin is known for stealing things, but not tennis matches. Thanks.

haha it was a fair match :hatoff:

laura & shaun learn to deal with the power and then come back for a rematch :cool:

stevos
Aug 20th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Hello Audrey Robert-Bordeleau! :drool: :hearts:
And Laura, you look EXACTLY like Justine! Lol when I glanced at it I was thinking YOU saw justine! Wierd.
Lovin the stories CD, keep it up!

myxomatosis
Aug 20th, 2006, 04:05 AM
Dammit CD!
I don't go around posting awful pics of you!

rrfnpump
Aug 20th, 2006, 08:00 AM
The Justine look-alike :rolls: :devil:
was this a boy or a girl ?....

thanks, CD :wavey:

but so few spectators :sad:

pezzode
Aug 20th, 2006, 03:19 PM
great you are very lucky boys ;) ;) :bounce: :bounce:

davidmario
Aug 20th, 2006, 07:23 PM
I can't wait for Tuesday's report:bounce:

Daniel
Aug 21st, 2006, 01:40 AM

nice repors and pics :)

Drake1980
Aug 21st, 2006, 01:54 AM
Awesome reports and pics cd, I'm so jealous!!

polishprodigy
Aug 21st, 2006, 03:07 AM
That would be alicia and gelina :lol:
Im still convinced alicia was walking around with a sign saying plz someone play dubs with me and gelina was the only one around.

That was my proposed explanation :p

Drake1980
Aug 21st, 2006, 04:10 AM
so did you guys even see Maureen around?

Barrie_Dude
Aug 21st, 2006, 04:04 PM
Justine Look-a-like

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/333/img0372li7.jpgDam! This woman is hot! By far the most beautiful woman I have ever seen in my life! She must be a Canadian and from Ontario! She is definitley a wet dream come true!:drool: :kiss: :hearts:

Drake1980
Aug 21st, 2006, 04:15 PM
Dam! This woman is hot! By far the most beautiful woman I have ever seen in my life! She must be a Canadian and from Ontario! She is definitley a wet dream come true!:drool: :kiss: :hearts:

:lol: OMG

~CANUCK~
Aug 21st, 2006, 04:17 PM
Not at all :(

King Aaron
Aug 21st, 2006, 04:17 PM
Thanks! :) Great reports and pictures. :)

Barrie_Dude
Aug 21st, 2006, 04:26 PM
:lol: OMG:bigwave: Heloo Mr Lacoste!

Barrie_Dude
Aug 21st, 2006, 05:50 PM
[QUOTE=¤CharlDa¤] Alicia Molik

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7397/img0333la0.jpg

/QUOTE]:worship: Alicia:worship:

davidmario
Aug 21st, 2006, 09:03 PM
Dam! This woman is hot! By far the most beautiful woman I have ever seen in my life! She must be a Canadian and from Ontario! She is definitley a wet dream come true!:drool: :kiss: :hearts:
you are mean. She didn't choose her face when she was born :(

BTW, will there be a tuesday report in the following days?

polishprodigy
Aug 22nd, 2006, 03:21 AM

She was practicing on a side court with her coach on the Monday....but that was before Vaidisova pulled out of doubles :(

Barrie_Dude
Aug 24th, 2006, 02:26 PM

BTW, will there be a tuesday report in the following days?I wasn't being mean! I was being sincere!:sad:

Rohin.
Aug 25th, 2006, 12:50 AM

Umm actually in real life she looks fine. Thats just a bad picture.

¤CharlDa¤
Aug 25th, 2006, 04:37 AM
The picture was made to be justine like ;) Laura is one heck of a hottie normally.

And I'll work on the tuesday and wednesday reports....But I've been working and moving at the same time, so time isn't really on my side right now. It'll come, it'll come!

And i saw Maureen practicing too!

davidmario
Aug 25th, 2006, 12:54 PM
thank you so much :)

Barrie_Dude
Aug 25th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Umm actually in real life she looks fine. Thats just a bad picture.And you are very pretty too!:drool:

CooCooCachoo
Aug 31st, 2006, 10:17 PM
Monday – First round

Not a lot of my favourite girls were playing, but it still looked like a great day of tennis. Laura and I went up to pick Shaun, and we spent the entire day together with Rohin. We had a lot of fun!

Medina Garrigues vs Granville

Do you agree with me that sometimes having two of your faves facing in fun, but other times it sucks? Well this one fell in the second category. Laura played really well in the first, taking an early break and keeping it until like 4-3, when Anabel broke back. Anabel really was just running and putting balls in play, she did like 3-4 winners in the set. Laura was the one taking charge, and that made me realise she was the one I preferred between the two. I started cheering for her, and Anabel started getting on my nerves lol. I remember her as a player who was indeed running a lot of balls, but she was also doing some nice counter-attacks. But in that match, she was just putting the balls in play. But it worked. Laura stayed aggressive but missed easy balls that could have made the difference. Second set was the exact same story and Laura was out of the tournament. Too bad, because, in my opinion, she was the one who deserved the match there. Most likely I’ll see her again in Quebec City :D

Krajicek vs Srebotnik

I headed to center court to watch the end of that match. It seemed like an interesting one. The crowd was sooooo behind Misa! And I could understand why: she was the one dominating most of the rallies. Her serve, which I expected to be so hard, isn’t that fast. It’s just so well-placed! She did one ace that really landed right on the line on the ad-court, but the serve was like one foot from the net, it was crazy! She really should have won that second set, but she just missed too many balls and Kat managed to finish a lot of her points at the net where she was superb. Funny story: when Kat won, people didn’t care that much. She was quite happy, so she hit some balls in the crowd, but people weren’t watching. One of her ball arrived directly in the way where people were going out, and on someone’s head :lol:

Bammer vs Santangelo

We arrived for the end of the match. It was a very nice match from what we’ve seen. Sybille just missed a little too much in the end, and it led to Mara taking a big lead. Sybille really did some nice winners though, but Mara was too good at the net and very consistent from the ground. Mara also didn’t have much trouble with Sybille’s slices and junk. Mara’s serve also was really good, so she was tough to break. Sybille’s husband was sitting just beside us with like some drawing books and pencils. At the end, we saw Sybille’s little daughter that was sitting a little higher, she is the cutest thing ever. Very very blond hair, she looks like an angel. I don’t know if she realised her mommy had just lost. She seemed very comfortable in the tennis world though, I guess she is used to it.

Lepchenko vs Peer

I was really looking forward to that match, because those two were players I discovered this week. When it started, it wasn’t clear to anyone who was the highest ranked. Lepchenko was just playing out of her mind. She led 4-0, doing so many winners and just hitting incredibly well. Shahar was playing really good, but she just couldn’t do anything with those balls. Lepchenko has a nice spin on them, and being a lefty, it led to confusing Peer. But when Peer raised her game, and started attacking before Varvara and just running everything down like crazy. She won 6 games in a row, and the set 6-4. The level of play was really impressive though and it was so empty in the stands. People who were there knew it was good though! Second set was very different. Both players followed each other, until Peer broke and kept her break until the end to win 6-4 6-4. When she came out of the court, I took my chance to take a picture with her. So I gave my camera to Shaun who sucks at taking pictures :angel: But good thing, Justin take one too that is better ;) Very nice girl!

Safarova vs Razzano

We got to see part of that match. Safarova hits so hard, and so does Razzano. Lucie was just a little more consistent at it. Virginie really fought well to keep the match close, she was really trying to get herself into it with the Allez’s and the Come On’s. It partially worked for her, but both sets really were close until the end. I was glad Lucie won, because I really was looking forward to her match against Nicole. (Rightfully so after the great match that was!)

Brianti vs Mirza

I expected Mirza to kill Brianti. After all I’ve seen of Mirza and the hype around her, I really expected better. She hits well, her ground strokes are really heavy but that’s about it. She got down 0-2 with unforced errors, but then won 7 games in a row, totally overpowering Brianti. Alberta obviously built her game around Justine’s. She is as small, and her game is so similar. It’s starting to work well for her. At 6-2 1-0, we left for practice courts and then dinner, and when we came back and saw the 2-6 6-1 6-2 score, we all started laughing. Poor Mirza can’t live to her hype. Don’t take me wrong, she plays well. But she’ll never do anything really big.

Ana Ivanovic vs Tatiana Golovin

This match really was looking to be a very pretty, but also very entertaining match. When both players stepped on court, they looked amazing in their black and white outfits. When the match started, it was clear Ivanovic was in a great day. She was hitting so flat and very heavy, especially on her forehand. She jumped to a 5-1 lead in the first, as Golovin looked helpless despite her obvious talent. But Tati held for 2-5, and then used a very bad game from Ivanovic, the first one, to reduce her deficit to one break. She then served a good game, but Ana came back to her old self to serve out the first set that was really good. Second set started closer, but then Ana showed why she always was considered as a future Slam contender and possible number one player. She did what I consider to be the most dominating tennis I’ve ever seen. Golovin was hitting some good serves in, and Ana would just destroy them and hit a return winner. It was really amazing, especially on her forehand. Her serve was also brilliant which led her to easy points. In the end of the second set, in the last two games, she did seven winners in nine points. Enough said. Not surprised at all to see Ana still in the tournament right now.

Dubois vs Garbin – Part I

Well you know me, as Steph’s biggest fan, I was so excited for that match. What a chance that was for her! First falling against a qualifier was of course a good draw. But being the lucky one to face a lucky loser was even better. Garbin is very experienced, she reached the finals in Palermo this year, but she is clearly better on slower surfaces, and the center court in Montreal was quite fast this year. So I was hopeful! When Steph came out, I was dying, so nervous. I knew it was such a great chance for her to make her mark in history and also a chance to play against Kim the night after (if only I knew what would happen then!) The crowd was already into it before the coin toss. Everyone was clapping, cheering, it was amazing and quite rare for a women’s match. When Steph won the first point of the match on Garbin’s serve, the crowd erupted: a sign of the things to come. Despite losing the next 4 points, it was clear Stephanie could do it. She then won her service game quite easily and then started to get on a roll. She was running everything down, putting some pressure on Garbin, doing nice passing shots, and first thing we knew, Stephanie was leading 5-1. The tension was really palpable. Garbin held for 2-5, but then Steph had the chance to serve it out for the first time. She led 40-15, had two set points, but failed to deliver on those important points. Her game wasn’t the same. She was more playing not to lose than to win. She was still running around like the little bunny she is, but her balls were too defensive and she just didn’t want to miss. But Garbin got inside the baseline and started attacking them quite well. Garbin then held for 4-5 and Steph had another chance to get that so important first set. She kept her defensive play, but surprisingly the experienced Italian missed some easy balls to give Steph two more set points. On her first one, Garbin sent a forehand long, and the crowd got crazy. It’s been a LONG time since Canadian won a first round in Montreal, and no one since Pelletier in 2003 has been close recently. Stephanie had done half of the job, and to everyone’s delight, we all knew that if she would come back to her less-nervous-more-attack-minded game plan, she’d be ok. But it really didn’t seem to go this way in the first game, when Garbin won her serve quite easily. Stephanie saved two break points in the second game, and when at deuce, the rain started to pour down quite heavily. Play was suspended of course. When Steph came out of the court, the crowd was ecstatic. She waved at the crowd, who of course fell in love, like I did years ago, for that little 5-foot-4 youngster with the big heart. Steph was understandingly disappointed not to finish her match on that night when they announced that play was done for the night. But she was ready to come back on court on Tuesday and finish the job she had started so well.

Random comments:

- I took a pic with Jamea. Sadly it is blurry, but she is such a nice girl. I congratulated her for her nice wins and said: Good Luck JamJam. She looked at me with a big smile and said Thanks. I guess she is getting used to that nickname.

- Our Laura (myxomatosis) shares her pout with Justine Henin-Hardenne. The resemblance is quite something (judge by yourself in the pics coming up next)

- I walked by Audrey Robert-Bordeleau, whom I’ve known and play with for years and years now. She is playing in NCAA for the University of Arkansas right now and seems to really like it, even though she finds it tough to leave for almost the entire year. She said: Did you take pictures with some players yet? I was like of course and then I turned at her and said: OMG It’s Audrey Robert-Bordeleau, can we take a picture? She laughed and we took a picture, but it’s so great!

- Rohin and I won a great match of aki tennis played during the rain delay against Laura and Shaun. Rohin’s aggressive poaching was the key of our win.

- Rohin is such a stealer. We were like 3 seconds away from having some free programs (which I must say are getting so expensive), but a girl dressed in a Rogers Cup shirt just came out of nowhere. Those damn rich people get all of those things free and they have the money to pay for it and we can’t. Pffft.

- Anik took a pic of me and Carly with her very very expensive camera, so I’m sure it will look amazing. This pic if for you Martijn ;)

I only read it now :D

Looking forward to the Carly pic ;) Carly rockz. :hearts:

Great reports!!!

Drake1980
Sep 2nd, 2006, 05:08 PM
I love that picture of you and Alicia, CD. It's very nice!!