PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay ranked 9th this week

lindsayno1
Aug 14th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Shes just a couple of points behind Vaidisova tho.

What will her ranking probs be after this week? Hingis and Vaidisova aren't defending anything at Montreal and not sure about Myskina

Andrew..
Aug 14th, 2006, 06:01 PM
No. She's ranked 10.

adamaglaia
Aug 14th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Hope Linds will rank higher after New Haven, and wish a good draw for her at the US Open as well. Go Linds!

lindsayno1
Aug 14th, 2006, 07:07 PM
oh ok. i looked at theboiledeggs rank thread thing and it said she was 9th

Andrew..
Aug 14th, 2006, 07:09 PM
oh ok. i looked at theboiledeggs rank thread thing and it said she was 9th
That's an updated ranking thread for the following week.

Andrew..
Aug 14th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Hope Linds will rank higher after New Haven, and wish a good draw for her at the US Open as well. Go Linds!
The only place in the rankings Lindsay can go from this point forward is down.

Ty-Ty
Aug 14th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Andrew, do you know anything about this WC rejection in Montreal? You seem to always have the inside scoop. :)

mike/topgun
Aug 14th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Ad-Out

WTA policies
Lindsay Davenport wants to enter Montreal but can't get a wild card because of some commitment-list arcana. What?
OMG...that's a surprise. Who would've thought she was even going to play in Montreal:p
I guess when she asked for the WC most of the big names were still in:tape: or maybe it was just too late...
Nevertheless, the organizer and the WTA shit can now wish they had accepted Lindsay's request:fiery:

MH0861
Aug 14th, 2006, 08:15 PM
OMG...that's a surprise. Who would've thought she was even going to play in Montreal:p
I guess when she asked for the WC most of the big names were still in:tape: or maybe it was just too late...
Nevertheless, the organizer and the WTA shit can now wish they had accepted Lindsay's request:fiery:

They probably weren't very accomadating, given how she's snubbed the tournament the past 6 years. Still, you'd think they'd snap up the chance to get another big name, especially in North America. Instead Maria withdraws and Garbin gets in as a LL. :lol:

hurricanejeanne
Aug 14th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Like I said in GM, she probably asked for it too late, maybe as late as this past Saturday. But, if she did ask for it in a timely fashion she should have gotten it.
She's entered a lot of tournaments really late in the past and got in. Fishy, very fishy.

I still think it's as simple as a too late request.

But I think that this is good, at least she wants to play something, anything, even a tournament she has issues with just to get more matches prior to the Open. I'm still shcoked she even asked for a wildcard for Montreal.
(oh, pooh and she could have used the ranking points too...)

lindsayno1
Aug 14th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Really?!! Im shocked....the WTA do better and better every day...not! Although that came back and bit them in the ass when Sharapova and co pulled out!

Lindsayfan32
Aug 14th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Lindsay asked for a wild card to play this week and she got knocked back. Bugger when the top players started withdrawing I thought it might be a good opportunity for Lindsay to win some matches and get her mojo and fitness back.

adamaglaia
Aug 15th, 2006, 06:58 AM
hmmmm...not good, she needs to play more on court before the US Open

Lindsayfan
Aug 15th, 2006, 10:11 AM
apparently lindsay has some problems with WTA. even in san diego it was said she withdrew cause of "WTA policies", which I really didnt understand.

Andrew..
Aug 15th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Lolz. The WTA is really more fucked up than even I thought.

I felt sorry for this event, but I don't anymore. They're digging their own grave.

bis2806
Aug 15th, 2006, 12:13 PM
I think WTA has gone psycho.

hurricanejeanne
Aug 15th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Lolz. The WTA is really more fucked up than even I thought.

I felt sorry for this event, but I don't anymore. They're digging their own grave.

No shit. This is bad. The tour has been laughable for a while but this stunt is just mind boggling.

I understand Lindsay has only played this tournament twice in her career, but give me a break.
I think that Lindsay has given this tournament the finger for all these years and the one time she needs to play here, they send her packing. It sounds to me that they could have bent the rules, they just didn't want to for her.
It's sad on the part of the tournament and even sadder on the part of the tour. This tournament had an amazing field, but within the last week it's field went down the drain, they needed someone of Lindsay's stature and she needs the matches and the ranking points and they pull this stunt. So much for tour "structure".

Now, the question is how late was late?

Lindsayfan32
Aug 15th, 2006, 09:09 PM
I have just read in article from a Candian newspaper. The only reason Lindsay wasn't granted a wild card for this week was she hadn't signed on to the commitment list its that simple and to me it sounds likethe WTA has gone really mad. The tournment draw was down the toilet with no name player apart from Kim and Lindsay needed the matches sounded like a great fit to me.

mike/topgun
Aug 15th, 2006, 09:22 PM
It appears that for Larry&co it was too late, or what's less probable - most of the big names were still on the list so they didn't need another big name.

Lindsay could have had a good run in Montreal.

The future of the tour is not looking good either:tape:
committement lists...give me a break.
I'm studying law and I know, that there's always a way to make things go on our way.:rolleyes: They were just mad that Lindsay took some time off for vacations in May, June and July :lol:

PS. We should all be grateful for Lindsay intending to play in this sick joke :angel:

Andrew..
Aug 15th, 2006, 10:32 PM
The Tour can't really "end", but it's going the way of the WNBA right now.

hurricanejeanne
Aug 16th, 2006, 01:49 AM
I just found this little piece of information rather, umm, interesting:
Stacey Allaster, the new WTA tour president, is the former tournament director to Montreal/Toronto.
She was promoted to tour president at the start of this year.
Interesting...perhaps the real reason why Lindsay was denied the wild card by the WTA is because Allaster is pissed off at Lindsay for skipping her tournament all these years. And then the WTA uses some lame ass scheduling/commitment list b.s. to cover it. And now that Allaster has more power....
I wouldn't be surprised if Lindsay asked for the wildcard weeks ago, probably before she pulled out of San Diego, and then when they wouldn't give it to her, she pulled out of SD to spite them.
Hence, "political reasons" for her withdraw there.
I'm not sure who all of this works, when it comes to wildcards and what not, but this just struck me odd. I'm just throwing this theory on the table.
:shrug:

davenport124
Aug 16th, 2006, 02:28 AM
This is all stupid. The draw in Montreal is pathetic and no where near the quality of a tier 1 event. Lindsay would have lighted up the event but the stupid officials turn her down. I'm glad Lindsay's missed the tournament for so many years, it doesn't sound like a very nice event anyway. Her trio of Californian events are much better for her when she plays them. The WTA tour can only blame themselves that the draw is crap. Hopefully Lindsay will bounce back in New Haven!

GrandSlam05
Aug 16th, 2006, 03:32 AM
I think New Haven is enough of a warm up esp. if she goes far. It was plenty of a warmup for her last year. She just flat-out tanked against Dementieva and I don't think that was related to preparation.
Of course last year her lay-off was alot shorter.

adamaglaia
Aug 16th, 2006, 05:39 AM
Ignore Montreal, look forward to New Haven! Yeah, Linds!

coni coronel
Aug 16th, 2006, 05:41 AM
i can only praise lindsay for being humble to ask for a wild card despite her differences with Ms Allaster. and even when she was denied, we heard nothing from Lindsay and respected the tour's decision..and that's why she is really Big Champion: in tennis and as a sportsman! i know this may look like a step back but i believe it would all the more be a challenge for her to move steps forward towards her goal of another Grand Slam (US Open) title! go for it lindsay! we're with you all the way!

adamaglaia
Aug 16th, 2006, 05:46 AM
So true, our Big Champion deserves more than 3 grand slam trophies!

GrandSlam05
Aug 17th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Well, now with Kim out early in Montreal they're really getting what they deserve. Lindsay so could've done well here.
Hopefully Martina can break thru though.

hurricanejeanne
Aug 17th, 2006, 02:08 AM
Well, now with Kim out early in Montreal they're really getting what they deserve. Lindsay so could've done well here.
Hopefully Martina can break thru though.

Lol, I know.
I'm not sure yet with what went down with Kim, but damn at the drama that happens when I take naps. But this is karma biting the tournament in the ass.
Once again, the tournament should have given Lindsay a wildcard.

The catch with Hingis "doing well here", is it will cost Lindsay.
If Hingis makes the semifinals, Lindsay is no longer top ten, but it's going to happen anyways because Lindsay is defending a crap load of points this fall.
It still sucks though.

GrandSlam05
Aug 17th, 2006, 04:01 AM
Lol, I know.
I'm not sure yet with what went down with Kim, but damn at the drama that happens when I take naps. But this is karma biting the tournament in the ass.

If Hingis makes the semifinals, Lindsay is no longer top ten, but it's going to happen anyways because Lindsay is defending a crap load of points this fall.
It still sucks though.
If Hingis loses early then they're really up a shit creek. :tape:
Linds will stay top 10 cuz she's gonna win the US Open. ;)

Andrew..
Aug 17th, 2006, 04:09 AM
Lol, I know.

It still sucks though.
As you said at the end of your post, she's losing it very soon anyway.

This year is a loss for Lindsay. Rebuild soon.

Go Tina.

hurricanejeanne
Aug 17th, 2006, 04:13 AM
If Hingis loses early then they're really up a shit creek. :tape:
Linds will stay top 10 cuz she's gonna win the US Open. ;)

the tournament deserves a shit final with pooh players... :tape:

lol, at the second sentence, tongue and cheek and very very brave. I just hope Lindsay gets her shit together. (and avoids the demented one in the draw all together too... :o :tape: )

GrandSlam05
Aug 17th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Oh great. Canada has depleted field and Lindsay can't get in. Now everybody and their brother is playing New Haven. It's going to be really tough for Lindsay to defend. Shit luck. :(

mike/topgun
Aug 17th, 2006, 03:38 PM
It'd be great if Lindsay gets past the quarters with that field:scared:
Lets hope for more matches than she's had in LA;)
I hope Momo, Nadia and someone else withdraws:devil:

Andrew..
Aug 17th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Yay. Lindsay's ranking officially starts to tank next week! :D

GrandSlam05
Aug 17th, 2006, 05:26 PM
It'd be great if Lindsay gets past the quarters with that field:scared:
Lets hope for more matches than she's had in LA;)
I hope Momo, Nadia and someone else withdraws:devil:
I'll take my chances with Momo and Nadia. It's Justine and Dementieva that I worry about. :unsure:

lindsayno1
Aug 17th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Well Justine is supposidly playing on 1 leg...
Petrova is horrendous right now, and layoff or no layoff Lindsay shouldn't lose to her!

hurricanejeanne
Aug 17th, 2006, 07:43 PM
God damnit! And for the second week in a row, Lindsay gets fucked at a tournament.
I'd be a little bit more confident if she, you know, won some matches in LA but Jesus Christ at New Haven now.

So is Lindsay even seeded at this point? Seriously, if she wins a match I'll be stoked, if she makes the quarters I'll be over the moon.
This year was a complete loss.

Nadia is a mess, no worries there, if she tanking hardcore first round after first round then she's no problem.
Amelie, meh, mental edge and she's been out all summer too... pretty even though.
Demented... :unsure:
Christine.... :scared: x 10000.
And you know Lindsay will end up with Demented and Christine in her half too.

At this point, it's going to take a miracle for Lindsay to end the year top 15. :banghead:
(apologizes for swearing...lol)

Andrew..
Aug 17th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Well Justine is supposidly playing on 1 leg...
Petrova is horrendous right now, and layoff or no layoff Lindsay shouldn't lose to her!
That's not true. Nobody knows how Justine is playing. Either way, you know Lindsay is fucked if she plays her.

Andrew..
Aug 17th, 2006, 07:58 PM
So is Lindsay even seeded at this point? Seriously, if she wins a match I'll be stoked, if she makes the quarters I'll be over the moon.
That's not being a little too dramatic. She'll be seeded #7. As long as she doesn't draw someone like Safina 1r, she should make the QF.

Demented... :unsure:
No. Dementieva sucks.

Christine.... :scared: x 10000.
Yeah, she's not winning that.

At this point, it's going to take a miracle for Lindsay to end the year top 15. :banghead:
If she finishes in the top 20, it would really be a success, IMO.

hurricanejeanne
Aug 17th, 2006, 08:14 PM
That's not being a little too dramatic. She'll be seeded #7. As long as she doesn't draw someone like Safina 1r, she should make the QF.

No. Dementieva sucks.

Yeah, she's not winning that.

If she finishes in the top 20, it would really be a success, IMO.

A. I told you I was dramatic. But yeah, I know what you mean. Since she isn't a top 4 seed she gets to play first round. yay.

B. Dementieva Def. Davenport US Open 2005 Quarterfinals. + another 4 times in their careers. I know that 9 times out 10 Lindsay would and should win those matches, but Demented is so inconsistant you never know which version of her you're going to get in a match.

C. Against Christine, she's screwed on like 6 levels. I mean, I know Christine has her weaknesses on hardcourts but, still, she at the very least has a major mental edge over Lindsay and after this layoff Lindsay would be lucky to win a set.

D. I was going to say top 20, but a little slice of optimism came up. But yeah, she's defending too much, virtually her entire ranking. She's going to have to find some form ASAP and defend fractions of her points and/or play a lot of tournaments this fall.

Meh.

mike/topgun
Aug 17th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Davenport's chances of ending this season in top 20 are not looking good, or else she starts to play some matches and...maybe...even wins some;)

IMO Lindsay could just win the Open and retire.:worship:
cos the way things are going on atm with Mauresmo (who was injured and hasn't played any warmups til NH) and Kim being out of USO(left wrist injury) Lindsay's main rivals should be Masha and ElenaD.
:rolls:

edit:
wait...I forgot Just-In:scared:

davenport124
Aug 17th, 2006, 09:31 PM
I hope Lindsay can win a few matches in New Haven and build up some form before she would play JHH or Mauresmo in later rounds. Right now though, if she can do well in New Haven, the US Open is looking good for her. Most of the top players have had little or no activity, and Clijsters has pulled out. This is a real chance for Lindsay!

lindsayno1
Aug 17th, 2006, 09:59 PM
I'd rather kim wasnt out.... Probs means Sharapova gets to the final now or something stupid. Im gutted for her

mike/topgun
Aug 17th, 2006, 10:14 PM
nevertheless the WTA is a joke...no matter who wins NY this year:tape: cos it's been a joke right from the AO, not mentiong RG or the Wimbledon final:rolleyes:

Anybody but JHH LenaD and Mauresmo for the title:yeah:

hurricanejeanne
Aug 17th, 2006, 10:57 PM
This entire season has been a fucking joke. The tour has been riding a thin line for a few years now, but this year coupled with this tournament (Montreal) is nothing more than an embarrassment.
It started okay in Australian, until the final. Then it just went hay-wire.
I don't really care who wins in New York, at the very least I just don't want Sharashrieker to do it.
I want Lindsay to at least defend her quarterfinal.

Andrew..
Aug 17th, 2006, 11:05 PM
The WTA has been a total joke since 2004. Sorry to break it to you.

hurricanejeanne
Aug 17th, 2006, 11:14 PM
The WTA has been a total joke since 2004. Sorry to break it to you.

I have been aware of that.
It was just easier to dismiss the situation in 2004 and last season. This year has been completely disgusting to the point where it's impossible to turn a blind eye to it.

GrandSlam05
Aug 17th, 2006, 11:52 PM
I have been aware of that.
It was just easier to dismiss the situation in 2004 and last season. This year has been completely disgusting to the point where it's impossible to turn a blind eye to it.
ITA it is ridiculous. But athletes are at the point now where they held to an almost god-like status. It's really sickening especially in the US. And the result has been that they act like a bunch of spoiled babies who only do what they want with no consideration for anything else.
Also it's hard to make a case for "equal prize money" when the tour is as pathetic as it is. They need to either put up or shut up.
I'm at a point where I have very little time for watching matches anyway, so it isn't bothering me too much. Though I still enjoy men's tennis.

The Daviator
Aug 18th, 2006, 12:08 AM
This year has been absolutely terrible, first year ever that I haven't enjoyed Wimbledon, not because Linds was absent, it just sucked, it's all been about Mauresmo, Henin-H and Petrova, not a season to remember :tape:

Anyway, on to New Haven, she'll beat Dementieva, her win in LA was overrated, Sharpie had a shocker in the semis, Elena really should have won more comprehensively, her other wins were typical Dementieva, sloppy three-setters, if Linds gets her or Nadia in her 1/4s, then she should reach the 1/2s, MoMo/JuJu, forget it :o

davenport124
Aug 18th, 2006, 12:22 AM
I agree, this season has been rubbish for me....alot of it is because Lindsay hasen't been around :( . The WTA really need to do something about the amount of injuries they get, something is not working, and the players need to work on fitness a bit more aswell. I am sad for Kim but I really want Lindsay to win another slam, she deserves it.

GrandSlam05
Aug 18th, 2006, 12:31 AM
This year has been absolutely terrible, first year ever that I haven't enjoyed Wimbledon, not because Linds was absent, it just sucked, it's all been about Mauresmo, Henin-H and Petrova, not a season to remember :tape:

Anyway, on to New Haven, she'll beat Dementieva, her win in LA was overrated, Sharpie had a shocker in the semis, Elena really should have won more comprehensively, her other wins were typical Dementieva, sloppy three-setters, if Linds gets her or Nadia in her 1/4s, then she should reach the 1/2s, MoMo/JuJu, forget it :o
Just curious but why do you think she'd have trouble with Momo? If she can get past Lena or Nadia she shouldn't have trouble with Momo. Maybe if it were grass or clay, but Lindsay owns Momo on hardcourts. IMO Amelie plays very passively on hardcourts and is very beatable. Plus she hasn't played since wimbledon so she might be a little rusty too.
Justine is whole 'nother ball of wax though.

The Daviator
Aug 18th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Just curious but why do you think she'd have trouble with Momo? If she can get past Lena or Nadia she shouldn't have trouble with Momo. Maybe if it were grass or clay, but Lindsay owns Momo on hardcourts. IMO Amelie plays very passively on hardcourts and is very beatable. Plus she hasn't played since wimbledon so she might be a little rusty too.
Justine is whole 'nother ball of wax though.

MoMo's serve has improved this year, and Lindsay's, well, isn't really what it used to be, also, Lindsay mentioned feeling weak/tired towards the end of the Stosur match, MoMo will make her work, I mean, Lindsay could win, but at this moment in time, I'd tip Mauresmo, obviously an in-form Lindsay will always have the edge, but not right now...

Andrew..
Aug 18th, 2006, 01:07 AM
MoMo's serve has improved this year, and Lindsay's, well, isn't really what it used to be, also, Lindsay mentioned feeling weak/tired towards the end of the Stosur match, MoMo will make her work, I mean, Lindsay could win, but at this moment in time, I'd tip Mauresmo, obviously an in-form Lindsay will always have the edge, but not right now...
Meh. Lindsay OWNS Mauresmo. She doesn't really own any other top player like that, and Mauresmo isn't owned by anyone else like that. It's a very odd head to head, but she has some serious mental issues when it comes to playing Lindsay. I think that's a 50/50 match in New Haven.

GrandSlam05
Aug 18th, 2006, 01:24 AM
Maybe she has the hots for Lindsay and thinks about her carpet during the match thus distracting her? :hehehe:

Andrew..
Aug 18th, 2006, 01:55 AM
No.

hurricanejeanne
Aug 18th, 2006, 02:30 AM
lol at the last two posts...

Anyways, on topic, Mauresmo only worries me on two surfaces: rebound ace and grass other than that, including clay Lindsay has a bit of an edge. I do agree, we don't know where Lindsay's form is and if she has improved since LA but based on her history with Mauresmo, Lindsay does have the overall edge. On a typical hardcourt Mauresmo tends to get stuck in that defensive mode and her ground game is so loopy as it is, so if she's too far behind the baseline it makes it easier for someone like Lindsay to step in the court and take some cuts at the ball, which is what she does. Mauresmo is much more confident on RA because it's the stability of a hardcourt with the bounce of a clay court and grass forces her to be aggressive she can't just spin her shots in on a regular basis otherwise she's dead.

Reguarding Lindsay's serve...I don't think it's worse than what it was or anything. She's coming back from a long layoff, and that's the shot that she tends to have issues with after layoffs, she has to get her rhythm back on it. And it's hard to gauge her serve back before the layoff because the back injury was hurting her overall motion causing her to be very inconsistant with it.
But the head to head vs Mauresmo is strange on a lot of levels, I don't think 7 or 8 years ago anyone would think it would be this lop-sided. But based on current circumstances, I do agree that it's 50/50 if they meet.

GrandSlam05
Aug 18th, 2006, 03:28 AM
Well, I just looked it up and Lindsay hasn't lost to Momo since 2000 Sydney. And in the 10 times they've played each other since, she's only dropped ONE set (wimbledon '05). That's astounding. I do agree that Amelie has issues against Lindsay though. I remember New Haven last year and Lindsay played like dog crap in that 1st set and still managed to win it 6-4. Amelie just has no faith against Lindsay, esp on hardcourts. If only she had had this attitude at '99 Australian Open. ;)

mike/topgun
Aug 18th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Well, I don't think it's strange that Davenport owns Mauresmo that way. :devil:
Lindsay simply knows how to beat Mauresmo, and she uses her tactics and strokes same way every single time they meet. Lindsay's technique enables her to attack Mauresmo's backhand, til she hits it with a slice few times and then there's the deep forehand crosscourt from Lindsay and Momo looks lost. :worship: Amelie's FH dtl is a mess. :lol:
I do agree that esspecially on HC Lindsay's got the EDGE. :angel:
But after such a long by layoff it's definitely 50/50. :bounce:

Andrew..
Aug 18th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Lindsay is in New Haven already, and is going to be holding a press conf. this afternoon.

mike/topgun
Aug 18th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Great to hear Andrew:)
I wonder what's her attitude before playing an event with such a great field at the start:rolls:

GrandSlam05
Aug 18th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Well, hopefully she's ready to kick some ass! :devil:

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 18th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Go Lindsay!!! Its good to hear that she is in New Haven this early!

She must be really excited to get back on court.

hurricanejeanne
Aug 19th, 2006, 01:22 AM
And for the first time since January 2003, Lindsay is out of the top ten.
And she is sure to drop further as she is defendint tons of points this fall.

The only upswing, is if she decides to play in 2007, she has virtually nothing to defend.