PDA

View Full Version : Montréal

saby
Aug 10th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Mary is suppose to play Montréal, she is ranked 13th but for now she will be seeded 12th, one withdraw already... I hope she 's ready to figth and eat the ball !!!

Good luck Mary

cakiteror
Aug 10th, 2006, 01:03 PM
oh,i would love to see her in montreal!

Lunatiq
Aug 10th, 2006, 02:09 PM
we are waiting Mary;)

pierce0415
Aug 10th, 2006, 02:32 PM
saby

she will be 10th seed for Montreal (Mauresmo, Dementieva, Davenport will not play)
also possibility that Schnyder, Henin, Kuznetsova will withdraw so possible Mary will move up in seeding

saby
Aug 10th, 2006, 03:42 PM
that is nice thanks for the info !!!

Mark Spruce
Aug 10th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Yeah thanks for the info.

Hi Saby I hope that she paints those lines with winners

Mark

atoutix
Aug 10th, 2006, 04:11 PM
thanks you !!!

Allez MARY !!!!!

cakiteror
Aug 10th, 2006, 05:15 PM
oh,how i love her winners!
sometimes i cant see the ball!

pierce the best
Aug 10th, 2006, 05:48 PM
you think that henin will withdraw i dont know , it will be good if she will no t play

Mark Spruce
Aug 10th, 2006, 06:22 PM
the wait and see game begins

FrenchY52
Aug 10th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Cmon Mary

Havok
Aug 10th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Mahree :hearts:. Please make it to the 3r or better and get a night match on Thursday and/or Friday so I can watch you live again :drool:.

DomenicDemaria
Aug 10th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Hopefully someone withdraws. It would make the draw alot easier for Mary. So happy she is back and cant wait til next week.

Sund7101
Aug 11th, 2006, 01:27 AM
JHH withdrew.

danthepiercefan
Aug 11th, 2006, 02:46 AM
JHH withdrew.
thk God

Sund7101
Aug 11th, 2006, 03:03 AM
thk God
I know.

I really think Mary is going to have a great week in Montreal, I'm really excited. The soreness in her legs will have gone away and she'll have had another week of training, hoping for the best.

cakiteror
Aug 11th, 2006, 03:17 AM
what seed would will mary be now?

ZAK
Aug 11th, 2006, 03:24 AM
what seed would will mary be now?

9th

pierce_fanatic
Aug 11th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Patty is apparently also out now :D :D :D

9th
8th now ;)

ClaudiaZ-S
Aug 11th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Nothing to lose.

pierce0415
Aug 11th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Mary is 8th seed
I hope she is drawn into QF with Nadia or Sveta (as opposed to Kim or Maria)

Nyangel2103
Aug 11th, 2006, 03:37 PM
I'm not rooting against anyone else but if a few more drop out and Mary could be in the top 6 she could have a 1st round bye....

Lunatiq
Aug 11th, 2006, 03:42 PM
few more days and Pierce will be seeded 1;)

Mark Spruce
Aug 11th, 2006, 04:14 PM
one match at a time.

Lets see what happens. For me I want Mary just to get past her first match. Who ever it might be.

Jackaboo
Aug 11th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Mary just withdrew from Montréal. I'm so disapointed. The reason is she pulled her right adductor.

Wizzy Maryfan
Aug 11th, 2006, 07:32 PM
I'm not rooting against anyone else but if a few more drop out and Mary could be in the top 6 she could have a 1st round bye....

It's impossible for a tournament to have the 6 first seed having a bye and not the seventh and the eighth ;)

So Mary will have a bye if she's in the top 8 of the tournament because it's a 56 players main draw !

Go Mary :bounce:

cakiteror
Aug 11th, 2006, 07:36 PM
what???
is mary out???

pierce0415
Aug 11th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Mary just withdrew from Montréal. I'm so disapointed. The reason is she pulled her right adductor.

I'm afraid Jackaboo is right :( :mad: :fiery: :sad:

Belmont Lad
Aug 11th, 2006, 07:41 PM
:sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing:

cakiteror
Aug 11th, 2006, 07:42 PM
oh noooooooooo!
is this the 2001 year????is history repeting itself!
shit

cakiteror
Aug 11th, 2006, 07:45 PM
this is what happens when you wish other players to withdraw!
canadian open is finished for me

Wizzy Maryfan
Aug 11th, 2006, 07:46 PM

Please, quote your source !

Where have you read it ? :confused:

pierce0415
Aug 11th, 2006, 07:49 PM
guys
I don't know where Jackaboo got the info but he/she is right
Mary out of Montreal

lets hope she plays USO

ClaudiaZ-S
Aug 11th, 2006, 08:24 PM
:help: :tape: :eek: :sad: :retard: :sobbing: :smash:

RJWCapriati
Aug 11th, 2006, 08:54 PM
:eek: Not another injury!

Marrrrry - get well :sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

Mark Spruce
Aug 11th, 2006, 09:31 PM
I am so sad

Get well soon.

I am so worried about the thing we do not want to even think about. it is just in the back of my mind nagging me

zibaas
Aug 11th, 2006, 10:15 PM
fucking great huh.

danthepiercefan
Aug 11th, 2006, 10:25 PM
this is what happens when you wish other players to withdraw!
canadian open is finished for me

Funny, but true.

Finished for me too.
I came up here today hoping to see some good news about Mary in Montreal, but end up getting that news by Jacaboo.

Mark Spruce
Aug 11th, 2006, 10:29 PM
I know how you feel. I felt so gutted going to Fed Cup all the way from the Falklands and Mary was not there. :sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

Mark

Funny, but true.

Finished for me too.
I came up here today hoping to see some good news about Mary in Montreal, but end up getting that news by Jacaboo.

JMC
Aug 12th, 2006, 01:25 AM
I am sooooo sad and i must admit i am begining to be very pessimistic for her tennistic future....We have to be strong yes but realist too.At nearly 32, what to expect considering all the problems she meets, she can't always make a terrific return now as when she was younger, no matter her huge talent, capicity to work and voluntee to win again ...There are facts and realities that you can't denie all the time, you know "time goes by" and even our Queen Mary can't fight with that.
The feminin circuit is so hard nowadays... so What to expect ????

...She really is not lucky, when you see all the resuts she had in 2005, i can't put out of my mind the idea that if she was free of injuries, she could have before retiring reach her 2 goals.....Now it will be hard to reach again the same level after so much time out of the courts; She is not anymore a teenager and the level is very very very high on the tour...Honestly it would be a miracle now, and as i don't believe in miracles.....

Yes i am so sad, that's unfare, is there really a God ???...

(sorry to write that kind of things today , but as i am a very big Mary's fan i think my opinion worths as much as another....it's my right and a forum is free of giving all advices if you stay correct)

I am desesperated really.

Sund7101
Aug 12th, 2006, 01:31 AM
Maybe it was a good thing that she withdrew, I want her to be as close to 100% as possible by the time the Us Open comes around. Get well soon Mary!

Mark Spruce
Aug 12th, 2006, 02:12 AM
I feel in the same way too some times.

I am with you

Mark

I am sooooo sad and i must admit i am begining to be very pessimistic for her tennistic future....We have to be strong yes but realist too.At nearly 32, what to expect considering all the problems she meets, she can't always make a terrific return now as when she was younger, no matter her huge talent, capicity to work and voluntee to win again ...There are facts and realities that you can't denie all the time, you know "time goes by" and even our Queen Mary can't fight with that.

...She really is not lucky, when you see all the resuts she had in 2005, i can't put out of my mind the idea that if she was free of injuries, she could have before retiring reach her 2 goals.....Now it will be hard to reach again the same level after so much time out of the courts; She is not anymore a teenager and the level is very very very high on the tour...Honestly it would be a miracle now, and as i don't believe in miracles.....

(sorry to write that kind of things today , but as i am a very big Mary's fan i think my opinion worths as much as another....it's my right and a forum is free of giving all advices if you stay correct)

Andy.
Aug 12th, 2006, 03:13 AM

Sadly im agreeing too, the sad thing is i have sort of come to accept this am sort of already prepared that she wont be around much longer. :sad:

RJWCapriati
Aug 12th, 2006, 03:57 AM
Whats this talk of retirement? I read an article saying Mary had NO thoughts of retirement anytime soon....and she wants to at least make it to the finals of Wimbledon and play in the Beijing Olympics.

pierce_fanatic
Aug 12th, 2006, 04:30 AM
to be honest, i didn't see this coming, i was so looking forward to her playing in Montreal and now i'm shattered.

And to think a week ago i was waking up to happy news (acura classic) and now i'm waking up to very sad news. :sad:

get better soon Mary, we need you out there ! :kiss:

danthepiercefan
Aug 12th, 2006, 04:53 AM
[QUOTE=Mark Spruce]I know how you feel. I felt so gutted going to Fed Cup all the way from the Falklands and Mary was not there. :sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

But Mark, how are u able to find the time, effort, or money? You must be loaded with resources of many kinds.

I'm glad there are some fellows like u, lol. Because if some worse news hit us one day, u will freak out first-- before we freak out.

Hey give me your personal reasons; why and when did u start worshipping Pierce? Her 2005 results and and all the finals must have raised your blood pressure.

Declan
Aug 12th, 2006, 05:40 AM
[QUOTE=Mark Spruce]I know how you feel. I felt so gutted going to Fed Cup all the way from the Falklands and Mary was not there. :sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

But Mark, how are u able to find the time, effort, or money? You must be loaded with resources of many kinds.

I'm glad there are some fellows like u, lol. Because if some worse news hit us one day, u will freak out first-- before we freak out.

Hey give me your personal reasons; why and when did u start worshipping Pierce? Her 2005 results and and all the finals must have raised your blood pressure.

I went to Toronto in 2001, 2003 and 2005 to see Mary play and she was only able to play once, so I sympathise! This is more disappointing news, but sadly not even very unexpected.

DomenicDemaria
Aug 12th, 2006, 05:47 AM
:sad: Her health is the most important thing. She shouldn't have come back so soon. Hope is ready for the USO.

ashwu
Aug 12th, 2006, 05:49 AM
:( still, hope she could have a great us open...

Oermi
Aug 12th, 2006, 09:51 AM
i don't know why but i somehow saw this coming. :(

ashwu
Aug 12th, 2006, 10:08 AM
me too...

aimee20
Aug 12th, 2006, 10:56 AM
i saw this coming as well i think she said something like maybe it was too early to play
anyway get well soon mary :sad:

sebbe
Aug 12th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Sorry guys but I have actually started to think of the circuit like Mary isn't there anymore. I feel depressed! I need her, I need that powergame and the kick I get from fallowing Mary's matches. Mary is a part of my life, sounds pretty stupid but that's how it is.

squig2k
Aug 12th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Oh nooo.. I got so excited reading about mary being seeded 8th, and I was so looking forward to next week! Please Mary get back fit and quick so you are the threat you were last year

squig2k
Aug 12th, 2006, 04:05 PM
I feel in the same way too some times.

I am with you

Mark

me too, why does this have to happen! mary does not deserve this

squig2k
Aug 12th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Sorry guys but I have actually started to think of the circuit like Mary isn't there anymore. I feel depressed! I need her, I need that powergame and the kick I get from fallowing Mary's matches. Mary is a part of my life, sounds pretty stupid but that's how it is.

totally feel the same

Sund7101
Aug 13th, 2006, 01:37 AM
I feel the same way too. I really hope Mary is training and trying to get fit, if she's fit and injury-free she will be a force to be reckoned with come US Open time! Get well soon!

JMC
Aug 13th, 2006, 01:50 AM
...Well that's how things goes you know....

I don't know, today i feel a little bit better, finaly maybe we have to believe in miracles, you know people say that things always come for a reason ?!.....

Anyway Mary is a huge Star in the circuit and her game in the early 90"s changed the feminin circuit mind, so what ever happens tomorrow she is really "something special" our Mary....She One of these that let her print for the posterity .Nothing more to proove if we really think about.All that can happens now before she retires is only BONUS you know.

So yes i am hurted a lot, because as someone told here , she is really a part of me Mary, a pure and totaly admirative love i feel for her, but i can't retain time in my hands and i must admit it, and if she has always something to do on the court before retiring after the Olympics, well it will happpens.

Mary seems very happy nowadays, she is a beautiful and complete woman, finaly that's the most important, so we have to trust her and to think that what ever happens anyway everything has an end but after always something else begins again ....Mary gave us so much already : joy, sadness too.....everything that makes us alive, so let's be positive and let's wait to see what she decides and how it goes...

Never forget as i said : ONLY BONUS NOW.

Lu_Weird
Aug 13th, 2006, 04:16 AM
Mary is a part of my life, sounds pretty stupid but that's how it is.

Bingo, my life too

Mark Spruce
Aug 13th, 2006, 08:25 PM
I do not know why Mary gets all of this bad luck. She is such a nice person and with all these injurys we have not seen what could have done. Well I mean for long periods of the season.

The injurys always seem to happen when ever Mary gets in such a great run of form.

Mary does not deserve all of this !!!

But I am so happy that Mary has found love with her future husband. That is the thing I wanted so much for Mary to find the love of her life.

mark

me too, why does this have to happen! mary does not deserve this

Mark Spruce
Aug 13th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Hello,

I am not loaded with money. I get good vacation at my job as i have been there nearlly 10 years. And it is a good wage which lets me go and travell some times.

When did I start to really follow Mary. I do not know really i can't put a date to it. They sure did raise my poor blood levels and stress LOL

Mark

saby
Aug 14th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Mary is at the Nick's academy, last week she took care of her adductor, she will start training again this week, hoping to be ready for the USO.

Sund7101
Aug 14th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Mary is at the Nick's academy, last week she took care of her adductor, she will start training again this week, hoping to be ready for the USO.
That's awesome news!!! :) :) :)

pierce0415
Aug 14th, 2006, 02:16 PM

great news :)

Lu_Weird
Aug 14th, 2006, 03:04 PM
I do not know why Mary gets all of this bad luck. She is such a nice person and with all these injurys we have not seen what could have done. Well I mean for long periods of the season.

The injurys always seem to happen when ever Mary gets in such a great run of form.

Mary does not deserve all of this !!!

But I am so happy that Mary has found love with her future husband. That is the thing I wanted so much for Mary to find the love of her life.

mark

Why Mary easy to get injured result from her way to hit the ball! Her forehand and backhand are all use the closed foot work to hit the ball,which is a old traditional way of tennis and it emphasize more power from her waist and shouder. More and more players,especially young generation usually use the open foot step to hit the ball, like Elena D.: what make her in top 10 with such a amateur serve is just her excellent movement from the open foot and she never get injured almost take part the tournment every month!

But I still love the way of Mary hitting the ball! Good luck Mary!!!

Mark Spruce
Aug 14th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Thanks Saby. Hope to hear from you i am back home in the Falklands.

Mark

pierce_fanatic
Aug 14th, 2006, 04:06 PM
:dance: :dance: :dance:

thanks for the great news Saby :kiss:

squig2k
Aug 15th, 2006, 08:27 AM

great news - she will get proper care and training to rock at the US!! woo!

pierce the best
Aug 15th, 2006, 09:35 AM
saby, where you get this news.

saby
Aug 15th, 2006, 03:01 PM
saby, where you get this news.

French sports news

Mark Spruce
Aug 15th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Saby thank you again for your news !!!!!!!!!!!!!

See you around

mark

saby
Aug 16th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Mary had to pay 25 000$ to the WTA because didn't came at Montréal, she should have pay 50 000$ if it was not for an injury withdrawal...

Mark Spruce
Aug 16th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Hi Saby,

So even if you are injured you have to pay :mad::mad:

Hope to hear from you

Mark

Mary had to pay 25 000$ to the WTA because didn't came at Montréal, she should have pay 50 000$ if it was not for an injury withdrawal...

Sund7101
Aug 16th, 2006, 04:53 PM
You can't help it if your injured, what a joke.

Mark Spruce
Aug 16th, 2006, 05:54 PM
I know.

And I am sure that there only reason Mary is not playing because of injury and not any other excuse like some other players (bad mark wash your mouth out with soap)

Mark
You can't help it if your injured, what a joke.

squig2k
Aug 16th, 2006, 07:30 PM
typical - charge those that are REALLY injured when floods of seeds withdrew from san diego and montreal

Jackaboo
Aug 16th, 2006, 07:47 PM
The fact is that top players are rewarded with bonus money at the end of the year, and if they don't show up to a tournament they get some money deducted from that bonus. So it's not like Mary has to get this money from her bank account, it's just that she will receive less money as a bonus at the end of the year. The amount of money you pay is dependant if you're designated as "gold", "silver" etc..
Mary is designated in the 3rd category, she gets a lesser bonus at the end of the year than Sharapova, who's gold, but she also "pays" less fine if she doesn't show up at a tournament.

Here is the explanation in French, don't have time to translate now, sorry.

"L'absence de Maria Sharapova, Amélie Mauresmo, Justine Henin-Hardenne, Mary Pierce et Venus Williams à la Coupe Rogers de Montréal les prive chacune de dizaine de milliers de dollars en bonis. Cette somme peut même atteindre 125 000 $ dans le cas d'une joueuse comme Sharapova!

Afin d'inciter ses joueuses à participer au plus grand nombre possible de tournois importants au cours d'une année, les dirigeants de la WTA leur promettent des bourses importantes à la fin de l'année, dont le montant varie selon une échelle établie à l'avance.

Sharapova, Davenport et Kim Clijsters, par exemple, ont été établies joueuses les plus populaires du circuit et, en conséquence, on a fixé à 500 000 $ les bourses auxquelles elles ont droit. Or, pour chaque tournoi raté, on soustrait un pourcentage de cette somme, peu importe l'excuse invoquée.

Dans le cas de la Coupe Rogers, par exemple, un tournoi de catégorie tiers I, on a établi le pourcentage à 25 %. C'est-à-dire que Sharapova a volontairement renoncé à 125 000 $ en prenant congé cette semaine. Davenport a dû dire adieu à 125 000 $ elle aussi même si on l'a empêchée de disputer la Coupe Rogers en raison d'une clause particulière du règlement.

Mauresmo, Williams et Henin-Hardenne appartiennent à la deuxième catégorie, donc leur absence les a privées de 25 % d'une somme de 300 000 $, soit 75 000 $.

Pierce, Serena Williams et Elena Dementieva, classées dans la troisième catégorie, ont pour leur part renoncé au quart de 200 000 $, soit 50 000 $ chacune.

Certaines joueuses devront aussi fouiller dans leur portefeuille. Sharapova, par exemple, a reçu une amende de 20 000 $: elle a dû payer 10 000 $ parce qu'il s'agissait de son deuxième forfait non justifié de la saison (elle a déboursé 5000 $ la première fois à Eastbourne) et 10 000 $ parce qu'elle a annoncé son retrait après le début des qualifications, ce week-end.

La Française Mary Pierce a eu à payer 5000 $ de plus que Sharapova, soit 25 000 $, parce qu'on l'avait désignée en début de saison comme une incontournable du tournoi de Montréal, au même titre que Kim Clijsters et Nadia Petrova. La WTA nomme ainsi trois joueuses incontournables pour chacun des tournois afin de s'assurer un minimum de têtes d'affiche à chaque événement. Pierce aurait eu à payer 50 000 $ mais son rapport médical lui a permis de réduire son amende de moitié.

Amélie Mauresmo, Serena Williams, Justine Henin-Hardenne et Patty Schnyder ont toutes évité une amende parce qu'elles ont présenté un rapport médical (les joueuses ont le droit d'invoquer deux blessures par année)."

squig2k
Aug 16th, 2006, 08:28 PM
interesting! if only we had the translation

saby
Aug 16th, 2006, 10:35 PM
this article says that at the begining of the years players are choose to be the main players of a tournament, they are divided in differents categories (Mary is in the third one) Mary has been choose to play Montreal so she had to be there she withdraw so she had to pay

Masha could have win 125 000$ only be being in Montreal (so Kim already won 125 000$ and you can add the tournament prize too)

The categories are made by popularity...

Mark Spruce
Aug 16th, 2006, 10:37 PM
:worship::worship::worship: Saby

this article says that at the begining of the years players are choose to be the main players of a tournament, they are divided in differents categories (Mary is in the third one) Mary has been choose to play Montreal so she had to be there she withdraw so she had to pay

Masha could have win 125 000$ only be being in Montreal (so Kim already won 125 000$ and you can add the tournament prize too)

The categories are made by popularity...

Wizzy Maryfan
Aug 16th, 2006, 11:40 PM
it's So interesting even if i'm a little bit surprised to see Masha in first category whereas Mary for example is always the favorite of the crowd when the play each other (last example in San Diego, and remember Rome last year ...)
And i'm sure Serena Williams attract more audience than Venus cause Serena is by far a better player but, that's my though :/

And Davenport, ok i think she deserves to be recognize but she has no real "charisme" so i'm " :confused: " !

To talk about this article, I don't understand WHY Mary has to pay sthing, except the 5000 $ ... She has a good reason to retire, so why ?

And, to conclude, I wanna notice that a lot of things, lots of "money things" exist behing what we know and it's a little bit weird to enter in this forbiden world where dollars is the number one in ze world and the WTA his coach !
There is clearly a life in tennis that nobody (I mean people like u and me) just ignores ! And it's astonishing and frightning at the same time ...

(now I know why petrova and all her russian friends are playing all weeks, even when they are injured, even when they clearly don't wanna play, even when they are out of form ... it's just a matter of "bonus".
And now, one thing is sure : Mary really dosen't care about money, because with the number of tournament she plays, sure she finishes all years with a big ZERO of bonus lol !)

stefi62
Aug 17th, 2006, 11:42 AM
A translation of that very interesting article!

The absence of Maria Sharapova, Amélie Mauresmo, Justine Hénin Hardenne, Mary Pierce and Venus Williams at the Rogers Cup in Montréal prevent them from earning thousands of dollars bonuses. That amount of money can even reach 125 000$ in the case of a players like Maria Sharapova!

In order to encourage its players to participate as many major tournaments as possible during the season, the WTA promises them huge grants at the end of the year, whose amounts vary according to a scale pre established.

Sharapova, Davenport and Clijsters for instance, have been established as the most popular players in the tour, and, as a consequence, 500 000 $ have been promised to them as the grants they can be awarded with. But, for each tournament they withdraw from, a percentage is taken from that amount, no matter the excuse put forward.

In the case of Rogers Cup, for instance, a Tier I category tournament, the percentage has been established at 25%. Which means that Sharapova has willingly renounced to 125 000$ by withdrawing this week. Davenport also had to say goodbye to 125000$, even if she’s been prevented from playing the Rogers Cup because of a special clause in the rules.

Mauresmo, Williams and Hénin-Hardenne belong to the second category, so their absence has prevented them from earning 25% of 300 000$ (75000$).

Pierce, Serena and Dementieva, who are in the third category, renounced to 25% of 200000$ (50000$ each).

Some players will also have to take money from their own purse! Sharapova, for example, has received a fine of 20000$: she had to pay 10000$ because that was her second unjustified withdrawal of the year (she had to pay 5000 for Eastbourne). And 10000$ because she announced her withdrawal after the beginning of the qualifications, this week end.

French player Mary Pierce had to pay 5000$ more than Sharapova (which means 25000$) because at the beginning of the season, she had been appointed “essential player for the Montréal tournament” as well as Petrova and Clijsters. Indeed, WTA appoints 3 essential players for each tournament, in order to make sure a minimum of famous players would be present for each event. Pierce was to pay 50000$ but her medical report allowed to reduce the fine by half.

Amélie Mauresmo, Serena Williams, Justine Hénin-Hardenne and Patty Schnyder have all
avoided paying a fine because they presented a medical report (the players can be injured twice in a year).

squig2k
Aug 17th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Wow, thanks for that!!! V interesting!

Mark Spruce
Aug 17th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Hello Stefi,

Thanks so much for that. I hope you are doing OK.:angel:

take care

Mark

A translation of that very interesting article!

The absence of Maria Sharapova, Amélie Mauresmo, Justine Hénin Hardenne, Mary Pierce and Venus Williams at the Rogers Cup in Montréal prevent them from earning thousands of dollars bonuses. That amount of money can even reach 125 000$ in the case of a players like Maria Sharapova!

In order to encourage its players to participate as many major tournaments as possible during the season, the WTA promises them huge grants at the end of the year, whose amounts vary according to a scale pre established.

Sharapova, Davenport and Clijsters for instance, have been established as the most popular players in the tour, and, as a consequence, 500 000 $ have been promised to them as the grants they can be awarded with. But, for each tournament they withdraw from, a percentage is taken from that amount, no matter the excuse put forward.

In the case of Rogers Cup, for instance, a Tier I category tournament, the percentage has been established at 25%. Which means that Sharapova has willingly renounced to 125 000$ by withdrawing this week. Davenport also had to say goodbye to 125000$, even if she’s been prevented from playing the Rogers Cup because of a special clause in the rules.

Mauresmo, Williams and Hénin-Hardenne belong to the second category, so their absence has prevented them from earning 25% of 300 000$ (75000$).

Pierce, Serena and Dementieva, who are in the third category, renounced to 25% of 200000$ (50000$ each).

Some players will also have to take money from their own purse! Sharapova, for example, has received a fine of 20000$: she had to pay 10000$ because that was her second unjustified withdrawal of the year (she had to pay 5000 for Eastbourne). And 10000$ because she announced her withdrawal after the beginning of the qualifications, this week end.

French player Mary Pierce had to pay 5000$ more than Sharapova (which means 25000$) because at the beginning of the season, she had been appointed “essential player for the Montréal tournament” as well as Petrova and Clijsters. Indeed, WTA appoints 3 essential players for each tournament, in order to make sure a minimum of famous players would be present for each event. Pierce was to pay 50000$ but her medical report allowed to reduce the fine by half.

Amélie Mauresmo, Serena Williams, Justine Hénin-Hardenne and Patty Schnyder have all
avoided paying a fine because they presented a medical report (the players can be injured twice in a year).

Jackaboo
Aug 17th, 2006, 01:02 PM
I forgot to say that I copied this article from the Montreal newspaper La Presse.

Sund7101
Aug 17th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the translation