PDA

View Full Version : I want to learn ice skating...any tips?

Nadia2006
Aug 7th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Hi,

I'm 23, never been on the ice before but would really like to learn how to ice skate...is it possible? or am I too old now?

Any tips, suggestions will be much appreciated. Also, what time span should i set for myself to get the basics and few movements right?

thanks.

M2k
Aug 8th, 2006, 04:27 AM
Hi,

I'm 23, never been on the ice before but would really like to learn how to ice skate...is it possible? or am I too old now?

Any tips, suggestions will be much appreciated. Also, what time span should i set for myself to get the basics and few movements right?

thanks.

Hello there... well 23 is as good as any age. I get the impresion you mean competitive skating...(??) there are divisions for adult skaters for them to participate. Many people start their skating at an older age and have fun competing in these type of adult divisions. Try to get information about local skatings clubs (ask about skating lessons at your local rink , search the internet) As for time span...it's hard to say...if you only want to glide across the ice it would only take you a few lessons...a month or two at most. If your interest is towards a more technical type of skating, then I'll say about a good year to learn the basics (single jumps, balance, edging, learning spinning). Most of your skating will be fragmented and shaky at first, remember fluidity comes only with time. Skaters are always learning so higher degrees of dificulty will be learned after you become more comfortable with your basics. Don't set a time span now...take a year/know your pace... then you'll have a better idea.

hope I was of help and good luck! :)

Wigglytuff
Aug 8th, 2006, 05:34 AM
I have more hobbies than i can throw a stick at. but one thing i learned that remains the same, (whether it is wine tasting, knitting, or anything else) ask yourself if you are serious about learning. dont waste your time on something is not interesting, thats good time you could be spending masterbating or having sex or both.

if you find you are serious and committed... then send your money on quality tools... in this case skates. gettings good beginner skates from a well respected and quality brand will help you develop good habits early on and cofidence. maybe good skates cost twice as much as cheap skates (as is the case with roller casting) but its worth it. resist the urge to buy cheap.

Nadia2006
Aug 8th, 2006, 05:06 PM
hey, thanks for the responses.

I will be starting my lessons in October, thats the earliest I could get, I wanna be able to glide and do a few of the basics 'stunts' too...dont think i'll ever be good enough for the competitive level, but lets see how it goes.

My only main concern is..will i ever be able to even take a step forward without falling on my face...i'm not very good at balancing myself...i'm kind scared...but wont back out now till i try it...my lessons will be one a week for six weeks...and then i can practice..i'll see how it goes and then take it from there...

Hawk
Aug 8th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Don't worry basic skating isn't that hard. Once you get the hang of it you just get better and better.

As for being able to move without falling on your face..it's not like walking on ice, you won't be flailing everywhere :p

It can seem scary but as soon as you get used to how it feels to be on skates and on the ice you'll likely progress pretty fast.

controlfreak
Aug 8th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Never talk when you're skating because if you fall over you'll get your tongue sliced off by an ice skate.

Nadia2006
Aug 9th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Never talk when you're skating because if you fall over you'll get your tongue sliced off by an ice skate.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

miss_molik
Aug 9th, 2006, 03:32 AM
:eek: has that happened to you? my auntie cut the back of her head ice skating on sunday. she met the stars from dancing on ice too (Aus show). :p

Cage
Aug 9th, 2006, 03:52 AM
dont fall over and break ya wrist like me

Nadia2006
Aug 9th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Ok...now i feel ice skating is probably a bad idea...do ppl actually get really badly hurt? Should I buy the helmet and wrist and knee pads or something?