PDA

View Full Version : Who here leaves near Ocean and Surfs? If not, why not? Surfing is Great!

"Sluggy"
Aug 7th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Who has surfed before and who hasnt? who would like to?
It is really not particularly hard at least to do the basics. Most NJ and probably many NY beaches have surf shops that offer classes that range from 35 - 50 bucks. they give you all of the equipment. so check it out. i love surfing, i used to boogie board as a kid and i learned to surf a bit in Florida. Now i came Stateside this Summer and took classes and it was Awesome. Most anybody can surf with some instruction. It might be hard to catch the wave right when you are alone but if someone moves the board into position for you, you'll catch the wave for sure, you just gotta leard to get up, but most anyone can do it? so NYKers, what's your excuse, and Texans, you got surf there too, right? mostly it's NYKers who need to be schooled. You'll got nice waves in the Rockaways and surely there is a surfshop that can provide you with instruction.

NOte: Surfing is the most tiresome sport you can do. You're all body will be tired after like 6 waves and if you have sometimes cant sleep at night, surf during the day and you'll sleep like a baby.

"Sluggy"
Aug 7th, 2006, 01:10 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/FrogBurger/girl20surf21.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/FrogBurger/rox201851.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/FrogBurger/blu-seq1.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/FrogBurger/p511.jpg

Oh yeah, surfing rules. Does anyone sale, or windsurf or ocean fish?

CondiLicious
Aug 7th, 2006, 01:42 PM
i love surfing, i used to boogie board as a kid and i learned to surf a bit in Florida.

Same here. Attempting to surf is fun, but I ain't gonna lie... I'm not very good. It's something you really have to practice at and be doing often and I don't get the chance so... that's my excuse.

"Sluggy"
Aug 7th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Same here. Attempting to surf is fun, but I ain't gonna lie... I'm not very good. It's something you really have to practice at and be doing often and I don't get the chance so... that's my excuse.

I'm not very good either, but it is soooo fun to stand on a surfboard. Everyone should try it one day or another. give it some more chances, surfing is sooo much fun.

Pasta-Na
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:03 PM
i dont want the sharks to eat my arse :angel:

Craigy
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:04 PM
because the sea over here is always too cold :rolls:

"Sluggy"
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:11 PM
i dont want the sharks to eat my arse :angel:

Oh come on now, that is not very common. And you can always go to super safe beaches with lots of friends. :p

"Sluggy"
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:11 PM
because the sea over here is always too cold :rolls:

ever heard of a wet suit?

CondiLicious
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Surf fashion rules btw :hearts:

Diam's
Aug 7th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Too cold :p

controlfreak
Aug 7th, 2006, 03:31 PM
I live near ocean and Smurfs. Is that close enough?

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Others/smurf-019.gif

dav abu
Aug 7th, 2006, 03:33 PM
I've never gone surfing but I would love to and it is definitely something I will try. I love the sea :)

Fearful Jesuit
Aug 7th, 2006, 03:34 PM
I live near the ocean, I live in Mar del Plata, the best argentinian surfers ride here, but I don't, but I'd love to do it :)

"Sluggy"
Aug 8th, 2006, 07:45 AM
I've never gone surfing but I would love to and it is definitely something I will try. I love the sea :)

Good, this is going to be my chat thread from now til kingdom come.

Do you have 30-40 dollars? Go look up a surf shop close to the ocean. I'm sure they can offer you a 2 hour lesson for about that much. Now relax, it is not as hard as it looks. They start you on a 9 foot surfboard which is softish. so they get you on the board, they guide you right into the small wave and you can stand up on it. It is really a lot of fun. After that you can make a few friends and rent a board yourself. I guarantee it is not anticlamactical. such a fun sport and more exercise than 3 hours of tennis. Check it out, now come on, get off Arse and do it.

"Sluggy"
Aug 8th, 2006, 07:48 AM

Next time you are going to the ocean, just look up a surf shop on the internet, they usually offer classes. You won't regret it. With the big surboards they get you started on, anyone can surf. In the classes I took, everyone was able to stand on the board. Now, i cant wait to go to Puerto Rico. any Ricans here? If so, meet you in Humacoa in January! :hearts:

"Sluggy"
Aug 8th, 2006, 08:15 AM
live near the north sea
never surfed there
surfed in rainbow beach (australia) though
and LOVED IT :D

Oh wow mandy, you totally qualify then, why not surf there? It is the best feeling. did you get up when you surfed? did you take a lesson? I want you to be careful on a board though, if you surf with a short board, those are quite hard and could damage your soft tender skin if you take it on the nose - this is not a come one though, i just dont want your precious epidermous to take any knocks! :lick: :lol:

>>krew<<
Aug 8th, 2006, 08:23 AM
i live pretty much across the road from the beach and surf all the time. its simple. haha sharks...you're most likely to get hit by a bus rather than bitten by a shark...

"Sluggy"
Aug 8th, 2006, 08:37 AM
ah don't worry, i heal like wolverine
if you look closely you can almost see my skin grow back :p
and i can easily handle pain
(even though my back is absolutely killing me now :mad: )

wo, nice reference to the X-Men!

i had a lesson on a long board
and i did get up
i also got hit by someone else's board
on the nose
hurt like hell, but didn't damage anything

ouch, that sucks, yes you can get seriously injured i guess, but not during a lesson, they look out.

i don't surf here cause
-i hardly have time
-the water is cold
-the waves are lame :p

I bet the waves are not always lame - surfing is patience and timing.
With a wetsuit the water is much warmer. :cool:

"Sluggy"
Aug 8th, 2006, 08:38 AM
i live pretty much across the road from the beach and surf all the time. its simple. haha sharks...you're most likely to get hit by a bus rather than bitten by a shark...

That's true, though my friend got "bumped" by a reef shark in Florida, it wasnt trying to eat him though, just came up for a look. Lots of barracuda in florida too, they look damn scary, that's for sure.

"Sluggy"
Aug 8th, 2006, 08:53 AM
i love them, can't help it

Me too!

QUOTE=mandy7]yeah, i was rather dizzy
but even though the pain was awful, it wasn't anything that a few beers wouldn't fix :p[/QUOTE]

There you go, a rough and tumble kinda girl - just my style :hearts:

patience, is something i don't have an awful lot of :o

Me too, let's go surf, leave the BF at home with a couple of beers. :lol:

>>krew<<
Aug 8th, 2006, 10:57 AM
That's true, though my friend got "bumped" by a reef shark in Florida, it wasnt trying to eat him though, just came up for a look. Lots of barracuda in florida too, they look damn scary, that's for sure.
haha yeah i spose its a scary thought...you don't really know how big they are until you actually see one ay

The_Pov
Aug 8th, 2006, 10:59 AM
At uni I'm by the sea, and I won a surfboard a couple of months ago, when the legendary Karl Kennedy can and played out our uni (although we missed him because I was busy winning the surfboard :o ).

Not had the chance to use it yet, but in a few weeks we're going to cornwall to test it out!!!!

"Sluggy"
Aug 8th, 2006, 12:11 PM
At uni I'm by the sea, and I won a surfboard a couple of months ago, when the legendary Karl Kennedy can and played out our uni (although we missed him because I was busy winning the surfboard :o ).

Not had the chance to use it yet, but in a few weeks we're going to cornwall to test it out!!!!

Ok that is great, now dont get frustrated... are you a man or a woman?
Women dont always have the upper butter strength to pull themselves up on a surf board, but you have much better balance and agility. now if you are a woman it might be easier to get paddling and get up on a wave that has already broken, you know in the white water. Otherwise, regardless of the sex, let an experienced surfer get you on the board on your belly and pull you to the right part of the wave. Timing the wave is hard for a beginner. Let us know how it goes, eh? !!!!!!! :worship: :) :) :)

"Sluggy"
Aug 8th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Apparently there is a Manatee loose in New YORK CITY. wooo.
i met one in Florda while i was fishing. You could see him a mile off, he had a buoywee (spelling) attached to him. LIke a flotation device to warn boats, it had gotten tied around his tail. anyway he got closer and close, looked like a mermaid and boy he was big. like a small whale, and swam right under the fishing pier. this was in fort lauderdale, florida. see, you can see sea creatures when you go surfing and fishing too.

The_Pov
Aug 8th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Ok that is great, now dont get frustrated... are you a man or a woman?
Women dont always have the upper butter strength to pull themselves up on a surf board, but you have much better balance and agility. now if you are a woman it might be easier to get paddling and get up on a wave that has already broken, you know in the white water. Otherwise, regardless of the sex, let an experienced surfer get you on the board on your belly and pull you to the right part of the wave. Timing the wave is hard for a beginner. Let us know how it goes, eh? !!!!!!! :worship: :) :) :)

Thanks for the advice, I'm a girl so I hope I don't make a fool of myself trying to get up :o

"Sluggy"
Aug 8th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'm a girl so I hope I don't make a fool of myself trying to get up :o

No, you wont. Is the board a longboard? how big is it? Usually girls have more flexibility and agility. basically you have to get from your knees (if you are really in college you may have already some practice :lol: ) to your feet in a split second while turning your feet to the side, either right or left whichever is more natural. hardest part is timing the wave though, just paddle one that is already broken, if you are not over 100 kilos a light wave already broken should have the streght to hold you on your board. It'll be fine, you'll see. ;)

"Sluggy"
Aug 8th, 2006, 12:53 PM
wow, 1st thing we have in common :p

haha, i knew you'd warm upto me :p[/colo]

I'm warm, I'm warm, let's meet on the beach in Quiberon, I'll buy beer ;) :hearts:

The_Pov
Aug 8th, 2006, 01:00 PM
No, you wont. Is the board a longboard? how big is it? Usually girls have more flexibility and agility. basically you have to get from your knees (if you are really in college you may have already some practice :lol: ) to your feet in a split second while turning your feet to the side, either right or left whichever is more natural. hardest part is timing the wave though, just paddle one that is already broken, if you are not over 100 kilos a light wave already broken should have the streght to hold you on your board. It'll be fine, you'll see. ;)

Yeah it's a longboard, I didn't realise how complicated it was.

"Sluggy"
Aug 8th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Yeah it's a longboard, I didn't realise how complicated it was.

I'm making it sound harder than it is. a longboard is a great board to learn to surf on, but due to its size and weight it is harder to get into position for a wave than a shorter board. if you go with a friend, you can lie on the board and they can just move you 4 or 5 feet so you time the wave right. it's not biggy, you'll just catch every wave that way, rather than missing 2 out of 3. that's all. You'll have no trouble at all getting on the board. Girls do it better than guys, im sure of that. you'll see, it's a breeze. ;)

"Sluggy"
Aug 8th, 2006, 01:39 PM
i'm a fraid i can't, i'm busy
i'd like to, but i'm just not interested

You're just loving to go surfing with me, i know it. ;) :cool:

The_Pov
Aug 8th, 2006, 01:40 PM
I'm making it sound harder than it is. a longboard is a great board to learn to surf on, but due to its size and weight it is harder to get into position for a wave than a shorter board. if you go with a friend, you can lie on the board and they can just move you 4 or 5 feet so you time the wave right. it's not biggy, you'll just catch every wave that way, rather than missing 2 out of 3. that's all. You'll have no trouble at all getting on the board. Girls do it better than guys, im sure of that. you'll see, it's a breeze. ;)

Ok Thanks, I'll have to tell you how it goes.

"Sluggy"
Aug 8th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Ok Thanks, I'll have to tell you how it goes.

Please do! I know you'll be fine. All of the girls in my surfing class were able to get up on the board. what i was saying about having someone guide you is just for your assistance. It will make it that much easier for you, that's all. You'll be fine, i just know it. Surfing is so much fun. :) :cool: ;)

"Sluggy"
Aug 9th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Anybody surf last night?

Got an email from a Russian girl who says she is 15 years old and i promised to let her stay at my brothers on her way back to russia. I'm like 15 year old girl???? After reflection, yes i remember her. When i was at the beach for my surfing vacation, she came over to me when i was making a BBQ cause she heard from someone i lived in paris. She asked for a drink and asked to stay with me. She said she was a uni student. what kind of uni student is 15? why is she bothering me? who would house a strange 15 year old girl, and why is she working illegally in the United States? who lets there 15 year old daughter come to New Jersey to work for the summer? I just cant ever seem myself asking for shit to strangers when i was 15. wierd.

Anyway, females ask for the darndest things. i sent an email and it came back undeliverable. see, surfing can get you in trouble.

"Sluggy"
Aug 10th, 2006, 07:59 AM
anybody surfing today?

"Sluggy"
Aug 11th, 2006, 07:53 AM
anyone?

"Sluggy"
Aug 18th, 2006, 08:40 AM
I'll stay in my own thread for a while. anyone going to the ocean?

"Sluggy"
Aug 19th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Here is where I am going Surfing at New Years this year.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/FrogBurger/c42671.jpg

the waves can be quite nice but the current is often very strong. Best to stay in close range of lifeguards and surf with a buddy. I've seen many surfers there in previous years so it should be nice. There should be someone nearby who would give lessons too.

"Sluggy"
Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:47 AM
A surfer died in the hospital yesterday. The surfer from Ile de La Réunion, whose arm was severed by a shark, died in the hospital from the wounds. It is the first time in 7 years that a shark has killed someone on the island. From 20minutes.

>>krew<<
Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:55 AM
ohhh damn...poor kid...ahh well, you just have to be in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Keaka
Jun 9th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Bump.

Come on, still no surfer souls on here? Nobody else in love with the feeling of natural energy under your feet? Ahhhh, surfing <3

Keaka
Jun 9th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Sluggy, seems like you're the only surf-loving poster here.

I will introduce my surfing self.
:)

Started last year in Zarautz, Basque country, sucked for the first few days but soon learned how fun it is and learned about the spiritual aspect of surfing. When I lived through my first wipeout, surfing and ocean earned my respect. I was wipeouted big, spent some seconds (seemed like 1 hour) under the water, while the ocean turned me around, I had no orientation whatsoever. When I came out of the water, my surf hit me in my throat :haha: :o

However, I got the most out of the experience! :)
The feeling of helplesness really got to me and from that I learned that there is a force more powerful than human beings and if we learn to connect with that force it can make us better people. What also impressed me was the surfers lifestyle, which I found similar to lifestyles of old tribes, which carefully watched the nature and it affected them big time. Nowadays we have 1001 worries, but real surfers only have one - is there a good swell coming? :bounce:

So, I really respect surfing and will surf as much as I can in the next years, this summer I'm going to Zarautz again, and probably to Canary Islands, next year I hope for Morocco in the winter and Bali in the summer. :) BTW, I think surfing can make you a much better tennis player. Tested on me.

I also reccomend this book to all of you who would love to know why surfing is such a special experience.
http://blog.wavergy.com/2010/09/the-teachings-of-the-ocean-part-1/