PDA

View Full Version : Half of U.S. Still Believes Iraq Had WMD

drake3781
Aug 7th, 2006, 01:27 AM
The Associated Press
By CHARLES J. HANLEY

Do you believe in Iraqi "WMD"? Did Saddam Hussein's government have weapons of mass destruction in 2003?

Half of America apparently still thinks so, a new poll finds, and experts see a raft of reasons why: a drumbeat of voices from talk radio to die-hard bloggers to the Oval Office, a surprise headline here or there, a rallying around a partisan flag, and a growing need for people, in their own minds, to justify the war in Iraq.

People tend to become "independent of reality" in these circumstances, says opinion analyst Steven Kull.

The reality in this case is that after a 16-month, $900-million-plus investigation, the U.S. weapons hunters known as the Iraq Survey Group declared that Iraq had dismantled its chemical, biological and nuclear arms programs in 1991 under U.N. oversight. That finding in 2004 reaffirmed the work of U.N. inspectors who in 2002-03 found no trace of banned arsenals in Iraq.

Despite this, a Harris Poll released July 21 found that a full 50 percent of U.S. respondents — up from 36 percent last year — said they believe Iraq did have the forbidden arms when U.S. troops invaded in March 2003, an attack whose stated purpose was elimination of supposed WMD. Other polls also have found an enduring American faith in the WMD story.

"I'm flabbergasted," said Michael Massing, a media critic whose writings dissected the largely unquestioning U.S. news reporting on the Bush administration's shaky WMD claims in 2002-03.

"This finding just has to cause despair among those of us who hope for an informed public able to draw reasonable conclusions based on evidence," Massing said.

(article continues at http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2279553 )

No Name Face
Aug 7th, 2006, 01:36 AM
:retard:

just... :retard:

Wigglytuff
Aug 7th, 2006, 01:36 AM

basicly

Black Mamba.
Aug 7th, 2006, 01:39 AM
It's all political. If this weren't an election year the results would probably be different.

tennisbum79
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:22 AM
Few reasons why this is:

Too nany right wings talk radio shows
Too many right wing blogs, funtioning as echo chambers
FOXNEWS high ratings mean not enough critical thinking in TV audiences
Finally, fomer Nixon admin counsel, John Dean's new book, Conservatives Without Conscience, is the definitve explanation for this.

partbrit
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:29 AM
In addition to that, more than half of the soldiers stationed in Iraq believe it.

SelesFan70
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:30 AM
Sadaam was a weapon of mass destruction, no? But seeing as how the different factions of muslims in Iraq...that religion of peace that it is :rolleyes: ...perhaps he should be reinstalled. Or we could just pull out and let them all kill each other...which is perfectly okay with me. ALLAH AKBHAR indeed! :wavey:

tennisbum79
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:38 AM
Sadaam was a weapon of mass destruction, no? But seeing as how the different factions of muslims in Iraq...that religion of peace that it is :rolleyes: ...perhaps he should be reinstalled. Or we could just pull out and let them all kill each other...which is perfectly okay with me. ALLAH AKBHAR indeed! :wavey:

Not Saddam, but the WMD Collin Powel went to the UN to make the case for.
The WMD Dick Cheney keeps insisting "we know where they are".
Finally, the WMD that, Donald Rumsfeld, when questioned about the existence, quipped, as he only can do . "The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence".
In other words, just because there was no evidence of WMD found does not mean there are no WMD.

Lord Nelson
Aug 7th, 2006, 11:59 AM
In addition to that, more than half of the soldiers stationed in Iraq believe it.
I certainly hope so. This would show how motivated they are facing the enemy. As Howard Dean would say, 'yeaaaaaah' :yeah:

Kirt12255
Aug 7th, 2006, 12:10 PM
:tape:

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 7th, 2006, 12:11 PM

but you're an idiot just like Bush :lol: :tape: who believes anything that comes out of his ass.

Lord Nelson
Aug 7th, 2006, 12:17 PM
but you're an idiot just like Bush :lol: :tape: who believes anything that comes out of his ass.
Well at least he is not insane enough to have over 100'000 posts? How did you manage to do that? :eek:

Kirt12255
Aug 7th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Tapes off!! I smell vote grabbing.

Majority of Americans are brilliant people....it's the small money-vaginas that bother me.

Accountability is a bitch ain't it?

As someone posted before, yes the media has sent alot of Americans into a scare frenzy over the past 10 years.

Thanks to Michael Moore...we all remember those killer "Africanised Bees" that were going to blanket America.:rolleyes:

Iraq has nothing more than a piss-fire weapon that might excite a few 8 year olds around a camp fire. I just wish a few of the Americans on this board would run for Presidency, I'd feel safer!

Politics is the hemorrhoid of human existance...it's an issue when Bush has them in his mouth.

GrandSlam05
Aug 7th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Not Saddam, but the WMD Collin Powel went to the UN to make the case for.
The WMD Dick Cheney keeps insisting "we know where they are".
Finally, the WMD that, Donald Rumsfeld, when questioned about the existence, quipped, as he only can do . "The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence".
In other words, just because there was no evidence of WMD found does not mean there are no WMD.
How philosophical of Rummy.

Pasta-Na
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Well at least he is not insane enough to have over 100'000 posts? How did you manage to do that? :eek:

:lol:

Chrissie-fan
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:56 PM

Well, the only alternative is admitting that your leaders were wrong. Can't afford to do that if you live with the believe that yours is "the greatest nation on the face of the earth."

SelesFan70
Aug 7th, 2006, 03:11 PM

I believe some of the shit you write, too, so at least I'm fair-minded! :kiss:

samsung101
Aug 7th, 2006, 05:03 PM
That could be because, and this is hard to understand
I know, because it did.

The NY Times, Time Magazine, Newsweek, Wash.
Post, LA Times, and the Congress have reported
repeatedly in the past 12 months in particular
the details of captured documents and evidence
in Iraq going back 3 years - result, yes, Iraq
had WMD material, arsenal, and plans to rebuild
once the useless UN inspectors were finally
booted out.

It's usually something written about on page B-20,
not deemed worthy of front page status.

We save that for underwear on the head of a live
detainee who just had his orange chicken lunch
at Gitmo, or melting ice caps.

Not just Bush or Cheney saying that, reluctantly,
and late, many traditionally liberal news media
outlets reported this, and continue to.

Fact is we have not translated or finished the
reviews of over 80% of things taken during
the early part of the invasion from Saddams
offices and hidden sites.

But, the truth is that the world (which quickly turned
the other way on the issue) believed for 10 years+
Saddam Hussein had WMD's and wanted more WMD's
and wanted to do things which were not good with them.
Clinton, Gore, Albright, Blair, Schumer, Hagal, McCain,
Kennedy, Feinstein, Boxer, Dean, they all believed
Iraq was a threat to the USA, and Saddam had WMD
ability and plans.

The UN, which so many laud and love, mandated
resolution after resolution to disarm, and verify
disarmament and come clean. He did not ,and the
inspectors were a joke, and it was never going to
end. The choice was made by Saddam, and he violated
agreements he signed off on, the ceasefire was violated,
and Bush did the right thing at the right time. Bloody,
messy, and ugly as it is and was, Bush did what he
should have.

If the world spent 1/10th the time hating Saddam and
Irans nutty leader and the North Korean nut job as
they do one man: George W. Bush, we might get something done. Instead, their anti-USA and anti-Bush
billion dollar business only helps Iran and North Korea
and China and Venezuela. Our guys would have finished
up and been home by now with a little help from so called
allies. But, then again, how helpful would soldiers from
France and Germany really be.

Halardfan
Aug 7th, 2006, 07:10 PM
The UN weapons inspectors became figures of ridicule on Fox News and for the wild eyed right-wing types...there were idiots they said, how can they not find the WMD they said??? What FOOLS!!!!

Rumsfeld was quite clear...he KNEW where the weapons were and as soon as the US of A invaded, the mountains of WMD would tumbling out. The place was packed with them! One under every rock!

But then days passed, no sign of WMD's...not to worry they said, just a few more days...weeks passed...then months...it became clear there weren't any. Oops, Sorry about that.

Then the nutty theories started...just as the Muslim world has its crazed conspiracy theories about 9/11, the American right peedles these theories about where Saddam had put his WMD's...he hid them in Syria is one favourite...but now Iran is public enemy of the month, maybe he hid them there right? Or maybe its those darn Lebanese? Lets bomb the crap out of them! Oh wait, already done that.

Thing is, maybe if Iraq had subquently gone well, maybe we could have forgiven the whole WMD f*ck up...but its a bloody disaster, with death and destruction and chaos on an immense scale. The initial conflict phase went pretty much to plan, but then...then there doesn't seem to have BEEN a plan...the grateful welcome never really came, and now the situation is essentially civil war.

Car bombs go off day in day out and barely make the news bulltins..dozens blown to bits each day and it just not news anymore.

We liberated them from into a tyrant but have delivered them into chaos, with little sign of an end. Out of the frying pan into the fire for the people of Iraq.

Iraq was an immense mistake and we will go on paying for it long after Bush and Rumsfeld have finally f*cked off into the sunset.

Martian Jeza
Aug 7th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Bush's and his administration brainwashing :retard: :tape:

seahawk37
Aug 7th, 2006, 07:26 PM
It's possible that there was indeed WMDs. There was a time gap during which Iraq could've moved the WMDs out of Iraq and into neighboring Syria. Saddam used WMDs on his own people in the past...

tennisbum79
Aug 7th, 2006, 07:52 PM
How philosophical of Rummy.
The Wasgington Press Corps used to love this.
Rummy was thought of as straight shooter, who tells like it is.

Ob Boy, were they mistaken!
He has now turned to a wordsmith of the worst kind.
He did not like and did not want his subordiantes to use the words insurgency or insurgents. There is no civil war going on in Iraq; only few dead-enders
resisting change and demoracry are causing isolated incidents. Most of Irak is secure and safe and secure by all acounts.

tennisbum79
Aug 7th, 2006, 07:59 PM
It's possible that there was indeed WMDs. There was a time gap during which Iraq could've moved the WMDs out of Iraq and into neighboring Syria. Saddam used WMDs on his own people in the past...

Of course anything is possible. Saddam Hussein could take power back in Iraq.
Geroge Bush could change the Constitution and run for a 3rd term and win.
Fidel Castro could be in power for another 10 years

Unfortunately, we are dealing with what is plausible here.
And it is not likely they will find WMD. They have talked to the all dissidents, the
high value POWs (Tariq Azziz and co), and it revealed nothing.

Only FOXYNEWs, the NY Post, Washington Times, Human Events still think there will be WMD found.
Eeven the Weekly Standards, bastion of the neo-cons no longer believes it.

Helen Lawson
Aug 7th, 2006, 08:00 PM
A lot of my right wing/kook friends are all convinced that Iraq did have WMD, but that they had been sold to Iraq from Russia and France and that we had to take a bullet and pretend there weren't any after the invasion to help Russia and France save face internationally. I don't believe this, and was never certain any WMD existed (wouldn't Saddam have used them if he had them?), but I'm not 100% none existed either. I'm not sure what to believe anymore.

Pheobo
Aug 7th, 2006, 08:07 PM

That's called denial. I would want to believe it too if I kept seeing my friends getting shot up and had wasted a year or two of my life in a desert.

samsung101
Aug 7th, 2006, 08:43 PM
The Congressional resolution authorizing Bush to
proceed had 23 'whereas' amendments... only one
had to do with WMD's.

I know that would require, well, thinking, to recall
honestly what the war build up was about, as it
was not only about WMD's.

The number one reason was, and still is, today,
Saddam Hussein's decade long violation of 16,and
then the 17th UN (unanimous) resolutions. Not
Dubya's penchant for oil.

Again, we get more oil from Canada and Mexico,
and Venezuela than we do the Middle East.

I would encouarge anyone to read John Podhoretz
piece from late 2005: "Who is lying about Iraq -
A Campaign of Distortion aims to discredit the
liberation'.

Detail after detail, fact after fact, verifable information,
11 pages of it.

Our continued path to spend more time not dissecting
the truth of the matter, but, bumper sticker mottos
and Hollywood movies and the far lefts mantras, and
the RINO's wishy washy stances, is only setting us up
for a stronger Iran, North Korea, Venezuela, Syria,
China coalition in the future. Not because of Bush,
but because we preferred to target him than our real
enemies.

Yes, we do have enemies. Contrary to Michael Moore,
there is such a thing as terrorism, they are not freedom
fighters, and Israel was not the cause of the war or
9/11.

Kirt12255
Aug 7th, 2006, 08:44 PM
The UN weapons inspectors became figures of ridicule on Fox News and for the wild eyed right-wing types...there were idiots they said, how can they not find the WMD they said??? What FOOLS!!!!

Rumsfeld was quite clear...he KNEW where the weapons were and as soon as the US of A invaded, the mountains of WMD would tumbling out. The place was packed with them! One under every rock!

But then days passed, no sign of WMD's...not to worry they said, just a few more days...weeks passed...then months...it became clear there weren't any. Oops, Sorry about that.

Then the nutty theories started...just as the Muslim world has its crazed conspiracy theories about 9/11, the American right peedles these theories about where Saddam had put his WMD's...he hid them in Syria is one favourite...but now Iran is public enemy of the month, maybe he hid them there right? Or maybe its those darn Lebanese? Lets bomb the crap out of them! Oh wait, already done that.

Thing is, maybe if Iraq had subquently gone well, maybe we could have forgiven the whole WMD f*ck up...but its a bloody disaster, with death and destruction and chaos on an immense scale. The initial conflict phase went pretty much to plan, but then...then there doesn't seem to have BEEN a plan...the grateful welcome never really came, and now the situation is essentially civil war.

Car bombs go off day in day out and barely make the news bulltins..dozens blown to bits each day and it just not news anymore.

We liberated them from into a tyrant but have delivered them into chaos, with little sign of an end. Out of the frying pan into the fire for the people of Iraq.

Iraq was an immense mistake and we will go on paying for it long after Bush and Rumsfeld have finally f*cked off into the sunset.

Do you have American WMD sitting in youre country? We do!

As part of the alliance....can you please ask the Queen to remove them?

Where is Englands loyalty....the Commonwealth or US...pretty easy question really ;)

Halardfan
Aug 7th, 2006, 08:56 PM
WMD's WERE a fundemental part of the case for war...with Blair famously telling parliament that Iraq could launch its WMD's in a mere 45 minutes, and Powell making it the heart of his case to the UN. It was front and centre in the case for war, especially in this country.

But again, if Iraq was in and half decent state right now, maybe that would all have becomase a footnote for people to argue over...but anyone can see Iraq is a dreadful mess.

At many and various stages weve been told NOW Iraq will turn for the better, the capture of Saddam would calm things down, or the kill or this or that terrorist leader would at least diminish it.

But its worse than ever, bombings are routine now, and Shia v Sunni violence the norm.

Its not about blaming everything on Israel...as I said, I think all the garbage linking them with 9/11 is just that...garbage.

But its equally garbage to neatly paint the whole middle east chaos as a good v evil conflict... the Lebanon chaos is the clearest example of this, it doesn't fit such neat patterns, despite what Bush or Blair or Olmert might say.

Israel won't win by bombing the sh*t out of Lebanon anymore than Hezzbollah will be bombing Israel.

Kirt12255
Aug 7th, 2006, 09:08 PM
WMD's WERE a fundemental part of the case for war...with Blair famously telling parliament that Iraq could launch its WMD's in a mere 45 minutes, and Powell making it the heart of his case to the UN. It was front and centre in the case for war, especially in this country.

But again, if Iraq was in and half decent state right now, maybe that would all have becomase a footnote for people to argue over...but anyone can see Iraq is a dreadful mess.

At many and various stages weve been told NOW Iraq will turn for the better, the capture of Saddam would calm things down, or the kill or this or that terrorist leader would at least diminish it.

But its worse than ever, bombings are routine now, and Shia v Sunni violence the norm.

Its not about blaming everything on Israel...as I said, I think all the garbage linking them with 9/11 is just that...garbage.

But its equally garbage to neatly paint the whole middle east chaos as a good v evil conflict... the Lebanon chaos is the clearest example of this, it doesn't fit such neat patterns, despite what Bush or Blair or Olmert might say.

Israel won't win by bombing the sh*t out of Lebanon anymore than Hezzbollah will be bombing Israel.

Missing my point!

At Pine Gap we have neuclear weapons that America are stock-piling....when will the Commonwealth say remove them? I know the answer as you do...NEVER...which begs the next question why we should hold the Monarchy here if they will not support us! Since the 70's!!

Why should we be responsible for the travel of a Queen that is not accepted (anyone Australian knows the queens birthday and Commonwealth Games are why we are not a republic).

Say we become Republic...we suck up the arse of the likes of George Bush...as we are anyhow...John Howard's eyebrows must be a risk in those Mormon temples hey? :lol:

Halardfan
Aug 7th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Do you have American WMD sitting in youre country? We do!

As part of the alliance....can you please ask the Queen to remove them?

Where is Englands loyalty....the Commonwealth or US...pretty easy question really ;)

Its more about where 'President' Blair's loyalty lies...i.e his slavish unbending devotion to GW Bush.

Again, any Briitish PM is gonna have cordial relations with an American President, but his horrible humiliating relationship with Bush has done great harm to Britain and its relations with the rest of the world.

Halardfan
Aug 7th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Missing my point!

That post was written before I saw yours...

cheesestix
Aug 7th, 2006, 11:08 PM

Wow! 107,000 posts in less than 5 years! That's ~60 posts per day, every day! :eek:

MinnyGophers
Aug 7th, 2006, 11:40 PM
But, then again, how helpful would soldiers from
France and Germany really be.

Just about as helpful as U.S soldiers in Somalia or Vietnam. :rolleyes:
If you want to talk trash, go ahead. But I would learn my facts beforehand though.