PDA

View Full Version : (OK) Once again, WIE WUZ just hype

*JR*
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:14 PM
http://www.lpgascoring.com

T31 Michelle Wie +2 F +6 74 74 72 74 294

The women's British Open is still going on as I type this, but Wiesy finished tied for 31st 6 ova par, which is 14 strokes behind the current leader. I know, she's only 16 and will eventually start winning, but shouldn't the superstar treatment wait until she has a title? (Any title, let alone a Major).

Sam L
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:27 PM
PLEASE! If you're going to talk about her say MICHELLE WIE! If you say just MICHELLE most of us will assume MICHELLE KWAN. The real American superstar of sports. :p

LoveFifteen
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Media hype is so tragic.

Sally Struthers
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:34 PM
this is true but imo, the LPGA and golf in general is better off with her and the treatment she recieves than without. She sells tickets and brings in people into the game. It's all about entertainment

GrandSlam05
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:53 PM
IMO it's not a good thing to overhype a talented youngster. It just puts unnecessary pressure on them. They've done the same thing since Sharapova won wimbledon and it has done more harm than good.
There are a few who actually gain from this situation and use the hype to inspire them , but IMO most of the time people can't handle the pressure and it affects their performance.
IMO it's always easier to perform when less is expected.

mirzalover
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:00 PM
i guess i was the only one who didn't think she would win anything this year but, next watch out she will be dangerous

adss
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:08 PM
She hasn't won a title yet, but she will. She's not a favourite for every tournment she enters (that's annika and look where she finished this british open), but she is a legitimate contender. She's finished top-5 the past 4 majors. Give her time, she has the game to win.

Jakeev
Aug 7th, 2006, 07:31 AM
I don't frankly think she is overhyped. I just think too much is expected from a 16 year old.

And besides, she is hardly doing that bad even though she hasn't one yet.

Let her be 16 and do her thing.

Derek.
Aug 7th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Michelle. :sad: :hug:

Jeff
Aug 7th, 2006, 07:57 AM
PLEASE! If you're going to talk about her say MICHELLE WIE! If you say just MICHELLE most of us will assume MICHELLE KWAN. The real American superstar of sports. :p

Haha...so true, I thought it meant Michelle Kwan also :lol:

Kunal
Aug 7th, 2006, 10:05 AM
yea she is being hyped up too much too early

although i can see why.

pretty face....young age....half asian half american...et al

*JR*
Aug 7th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Let her be 16 and do her thing.
I would. Her family and agents apparently won't. :shrug:

SelesFan70
Aug 7th, 2006, 03:12 PM
I thought you meant Michelle Malkin, one of the best bloggers on the planet. :)

Rtael
Aug 7th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Oh you mean the blogger who posts college kids' addresses and contact information and encourages psychotic conservatives to send them death threats? Oh yeah I love her too! Dumbass.

Diam's
Aug 7th, 2006, 04:48 PM
She finished 2nd at the Evian Masters : not that bad :shrug:

*JR*
Aug 7th, 2006, 06:09 PM
She finished 2nd at the Evian Masters : not that bad :shrug:
No denying that Wiesy's a very good golfer for a 16 year old. Its her being treated as golf's "It Girl" B4 she's won anything that's not right. Tempermental but talented Morgan Pressel (ex-ATP player Aaron Krickstein's niece) had to practically beg to get on tour @ age 17 and a half late last year, despite finishing a close 2nd @ the US Open.

But Michelle almost had the LPGA begging (her father and her agent) for her to turn pro @ 16. Get ready for a generation of mid-teenage golf phenoms 2B, ala in the WTA. Michelle even dresses like a WTA player sometimes. Oh, re. her nickname: it derives from writers comparing her swing to that of South Africa's Ernie Els, aka The Big Easy.

UDACHi
Aug 7th, 2006, 06:11 PM
why did i instantly think 'michelle branch?' when i saw this thread? :scratch:

tterb
Aug 7th, 2006, 07:27 PM
No denying that Wiesy's a very good golfer for a 16 year old. Its her being treated as golf's "It Girl" B4 she's won anything that's not right. Tempermental but talented Morgan Pressel (ex-ATP player Aaron Krickstein's niece) had to practically beg to get on tour @ age 17 and a half late last year, despite finishing a close 2nd @ the US Open.
I don't really agree with you on this one, JR. Wie's not just one of many talented teenagers like Morgan Pressel. She's played in 12 LPGA majors before the age of 17... her finishes? 10/12 were Top 15 finishes, including six Top 5 finishes (and four times in the top 3). When Morgan Pressel has done that, then we can compare them.

Fact is, though Wie hasn't won an event yet, she's a remarkable phenom. She hasn't won a tournament yet, but she's also not a member of the LPGA, and can't play more than 6 events per year until she's 18 (unless she petitions for exception like Morgan). The LPGA likely would grant Wie an exception, but she's taking a smart rout IMO - finishing high school, keeping the college option open, and not subjecting herself to early burnout.

Michelle has already shown herself to be one of the top 5-10 players in the women's game. And while she may never truly challenge the best men, there's a chance she might be able to one day compete (read: making cuts, top 50 finishes, maybe better?) on the men's tour. That combination of potential and youth is exciting and currently unmatched by her peers. And that's why she's the "it girl."

Really, I would see your point more if the "it girl" of the LPGA were, say, Natalie Gulbis, who, though quite attractive and a good player, hasn't shown half of what Michelle has.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Aug 7th, 2006, 11:55 PM
what i dont get is why wie plays mens events when she hasnt even won a womens title? if shes thinks shes above the women players maybe she should back it up with winning shit occassionally

*JR*
Aug 8th, 2006, 12:30 AM
what i dont get is why wie plays mens events when she hasnt even won a womens title? if shes thinks shes above the women players maybe she should back it up with winning shit occassionally
Because no female has made the cut in a mens event since Babe Zaharias... in the 1940's. (Even Super Swede missed @ Colonial, though she didn't get to play the Tuesday practice round to "avoid a media circus", so IMO Annika didn't get a fair shot to do so).

Anyhow, if Wiesy (now 0 for 9 trying to make a mens cut) does, as she eventually will with all the whored out sponsor exemptions that PGA events keep giving her, she'll do that, "add to her legend". (Oh, and her investment portfolio). ;)

Nice post, Terby. Indeed (though I have several LPGA faves) the most important thing in a given event is that Gulbis (aka Kourniklone) doesn't lose her status as the tour's "winless wonder". :lol: Unlike in tennis, I do like their PP though. (I wonder if she realizes the Pink Panther of movie fame was a klutz).

So this was "retro year" in the Majors. Every winner was ova 30, ans 2 (Annika and Karrie) are already in the Hall of Fame. As Sally was nice enough to remind me, Sherri won the British Open B4 it was a major. And Se Ri has her own "JR name". (I call her the Seoul Sisters' Leader of the Pak). :yeah:

fufuqifuqishahah
Aug 8th, 2006, 12:35 AM

:lol: :kiss: that's who i assumed!

fufuqifuqishahah
Aug 8th, 2006, 01:05 AM
lol thanx for changing it ;)

but now... maybe the thread won't get as much attention!!!! :( or maybe iit will get more :gasp:

tterb
Aug 8th, 2006, 02:13 AM
I'd say it's because Wie is only 16 and already one of the bets on the women's tour. It's not about her thinking she's "too good" to compete with women, or any nonsense like that. She wants to some day be able to compete against the best players in the world, and that means the PGA. Thus, she'll take her opportunities to play men's events so she can see what it'll take for her to be competitive on the men's tour. Basically, Wie could continue playing only women's events and be one of the best without improving a bit, but playing men's events shows Wie what she'll need to improve.

Should Wie start winning LPGA tourneys before playing against the men? That's a valid question, but pretty pointless in the long run (she'll be winning women's tournaments soon enough as is ;) ). She's a big draw and has actually shown she can compete on the level of most random qualifiers, so it makes sense for PGA tournaments to offer her exemptions. And like I said, playing against the men can only help Wie challenge herself to be a better player. And I think that's an admirable quality, myself.