PDA

View Full Version : Favourite national anthems?

Sam L
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:10 PM
This is an open ended question. They can be your favourites for lyrics and/or music. And please explain why.

My favourites:

England (God save the Queen): This has been a long favourite of mine. I love the lyrics and of course the music. For me, it's very ceremonial and it's very fitting for a coronation. Uplifting and hopeful. A very good song imo.

France (La Marseillaise): Now that I'm learning French this has become a new favourite of mine. I think the lyrics are little rough and militaristic but there is a charm in that. There are a lot of old movies set during WWII that has people standing up and singing this song it's again a very uplifting song. So this is my other favourite.

How about for you?

Pengwin
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:14 PM
This is an open ended question. They can be your favourites for lyrics and/or music. And please explain why.

My favourites:

England (God save the Queen): This has been a long favourite of mine. I love the lyrics and of course the music. For me, it's very ceremonial and it's very fitting for a coronation. Uplifting and hopeful. A very good song imo.

How about for you?
GSTQ sucks (and it's not the national anthem of England btw). I sing it and all but LoHAG is waaaaaaaaaaay better :worship:

Nicjac
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:21 PM
The Swiss anthem.

As really nobody knows the title or the lyrics and it exists in four different languages.

Andy.
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:22 PM
The Australian, USA and British, but the USA is my stand out they have the best one IMO.

Alvarillo
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Spanish of course and then i like Ukrain's anthem!

BUBI
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Estonian anthem :D

The Daviator
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:04 PM
I love the Irish one, especially the ending, although I am a bit biased :lol: And the USA anthem of course :)

Gerben
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:19 PM
The Russian anthem.

LoveFifteen
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:26 PM
I like our anthem when a fabulous diva sings it. :lol:

Avid Merrion
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:31 PM
England (God save the Queen)
it's not the English national anthem, it's Britain's..... ;)

my favourite is the Italian national anthem, Inno De Mameli. the music is great lol, not all dreary and depressing like a lot of national anthems are :)

Nicjac
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:17 PM
I like our anthem when a fabulous diva sings it. :lol:

Or by Roseanne at a baseball game :haha:

samn
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:45 PM
I love the melody of the Romanian national anthem.

Tarlak
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Russia, United Kingdom, Romania, Sweden, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Czech Republic ;)

mirzalover
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:59 PM
the U.S, Canada, and the Spanish one

skanky~skanketta
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:11 PM
the star spangled banner. imo, it could be a single, when a big-voiced singer sings it.

like whitney. her rendition was beyond excellent.

Hannah-Louise
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:21 PM
The USA, canada and austrailia.

god save the queen should be changed...jerusalem should be the anthem. or land of hope and glory or abide with me (traditional football n rugby ones i know but not as dull as GSTQ!)

DarkchildSwiss
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:22 PM
England (Send her victorious, happy and glorious long to reign over us, God save the Queen!)
Italy
Russia
USA

DarkchildSwiss
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:23 PM
I add Ukraine.

RunDown
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:36 PM
the star spangled banner. imo, it could be a single, when a big-voiced singer sings it.

like whitney. her rendition was beyond excellent.

I agree. I love out anthem, and it gives me shivers everytime I hear her version. I also heard the Spanish (or was it the Italy's? I'm pretty sure it was Spain's) national anthem during World Cup and thought the music was beautiful. :yeah:

Alvarillo
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Spanish National Anthem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nabJctWpDA

njnetswill
Aug 6th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Down Under by Men At Work!

Wait...that's not the actual anthem is it. :lol:

meruvien
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:03 PM
I like Usa National anthem especially when Celine Dion is singing it a capella

She sang it before a match of hockey with the candian Anthem O Canada
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyGYDnqBY40

Talita Kumi
Aug 6th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Argentinian national anthem introduction in world cup'06! :rocker2:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=himno+nacional+argentino

the Netherland's anthem too! when the National field hockey team comes to Argentina :hatoff:

Kaiwhakahare
Aug 6th, 2006, 11:27 PM
I am what I am buy Gloria Gaynor, is a great pride anthem :P

Love the Chinese, so patriotic, staunch and nationalistic!
Spanish, with its catchy tune and no words!
New Zealand of course! and it's alternative (Pokarekare ana)
Japanese is soft, eiry, almost holistic.
Israels!

Vincey!
Aug 7th, 2006, 12:06 AM
CAnada,Australia and USA

Diesel
Aug 7th, 2006, 12:25 AM
South Africa - Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika
Canada - O Canada

blerr
Aug 7th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Ooooooo CANADA!

Black Mamba.
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:01 AM
USA anthem especially if pre drug Whitney or Beyonce sing it.

IMO one of, if not the greatest performance of the National Anthem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldXjOAMBjV0

Iroda_Fan
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:26 AM
Mexico's and the USA

Here you can listen to Argentina's and Mexico's national anthems.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR9WcFohD1Q
Mexico kicks butt though.

Martian Stacey
Aug 7th, 2006, 03:13 AM
Down Under by Men At Work!

Wait...that's not the actual anthem is it. :lol:
Um, no :p

I find some of the anthems of particular South American countries to be entertaining. Its a different style of music to most other countries. Wish i could remember the specific countries.

VivalaSeles
Aug 7th, 2006, 04:02 AM
Portuguese
Russian
Brazilian (sounds like a Rossini opera)
French (not including the lyrics)

XaDavK_Kapri
Aug 7th, 2006, 05:13 AM
France : La Marseillaise

Belgium : La Brabançonne. Love the music and I think the lyrics are great, but I can't find a sung version of it :confused: If anyone has it... :)

Russia : :worship:

USA : What can I say. Sounds good. lol But only when someone with a big voice sings it. Céline does a very nice job here even if she fucks up a word ;) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyGYDnqBY40 (Let it load and forward to 4:20 if you don't feel like hearing the interview. :lol: ) Whitney's version is amazing tho.

I don't think Flower of Scotland is actually a national anthem, but I adore that song.

Ekkekko
Aug 7th, 2006, 05:58 AM
German :hearts:, French, Israel, Finnish, Swedish, Italian, Scottish

Halardfan
Aug 7th, 2006, 09:24 AM
The USA, canada and austrailia.

god save the queen should be changed...jerusalem should be the anthem...

Yep I think Jerusalem should be our official English anthem...it makes no sense that the England football team still uses the British anthem.

God save the Queen is such an unispiring dirge anyway.

The French anthem is by far the most rousing, that little part of me that is French (From my French great-grandmother and beyond) really responds to it.

I think the Japanese one becuase its strangely moving and delicate and beautiful, like Japan itself. :)

Beefy
Aug 7th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Australia - Can't go past it ;)
UK - Really is great
England (Land of Hope and Glory) - Great win beating other UK nations and is stirring
Wales (Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau) - Again, another stirring one which does make me proud of me Welsh background
New Zealand - Having both languages is great
South Africa - one of the best
USA - Can't think much to say about it but it's great
The Netherlands - Love it! :D
Israel - Really emotional

Kunal
Aug 7th, 2006, 11:17 AM
i love the indian anthem, i really do....get goosebumps with pride

also the canadian anthem.....ooooh canadaaa

Kaiwhakahare
Aug 7th, 2006, 11:54 AM
i love the indian anthem, i really do....get goosebumps with pride

also the canadian anthem.....ooooh canadaaa

I get goosbumps bloody eating Tandoor Paste at Little India here in Dunedin!!! blardy hell!

*Karen*
Aug 7th, 2006, 12:20 PM
British god save the queen

wta_zuperfann
Aug 7th, 2006, 12:27 PM
La Borinqueña is the Puerto Rican national anthem and is acknowledged as one of the most beautiful in the world:

http://www.hispanicsurf.com/borinquena.htm

this particular blurb doesn't give it much justice but it was the only one I could find :)

Kirt12255
Aug 7th, 2006, 12:40 PM
:p Majority are out-dated and boring. Oh..also most were made in times we shouldn't feel proud of in this day. IMO:(

Chris 84
Aug 7th, 2006, 01:05 PM
God Save the Queen = anti-Scottish and very pro-monarchical....it belongs in the Dark Ages :rolleyes:

SpikeyAidanm
Aug 7th, 2006, 01:08 PM
The one by Radiohead :p
lol ok i wont be a smartass, i really like the US one :o and I think I liked one of the Kenya's one they played at the Commonwealth Games and it was really touching

strawberry.babou
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:35 PM
- Brazil
- Russia
- Romania
- Australia

:)

**Jelica**
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:45 PM
I have to say I like the Portuguese National anthem alot... No idea what it means, but it has a really kidna catchy tune.

Marsellaise :yeah: of course

I liked Hej Sloveni :sad: it was cool. And it was part of our history and everyone knew it. I feel really sad that we've lost it now, whatever connortations it may have.

And the Russian NA rocks! :D

Hachiko
Aug 8th, 2006, 08:01 AM
The British.

Bolero
Aug 8th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Italy
Canada
France
Russia
Germany

.TheGroke.
Feb 5th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Love this thread. Im crazy about national anthems.:lol:

USA and Russia, melodies are so powerful and beautiful!

Sweden, im mentally swedish so.. :tape: i like the lyrics too.

Slovakia, love the melody too.

Dementieva_Dude
Feb 5th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Canada (it might not be the prettiest, but it means the most to me)
USA
France
Greece
Brazil

Tylane
Feb 5th, 2007, 09:27 PM
La Marseillaise cos it's mine, that's special of course.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWEIUxantVs

But I love too:

Scotland :hearts: (especially for a match of rugby)
Italy (sounds like a music of circus, I love)
England (just beautiful, a pity that's so short)
Russia
Spain
USA

Monica_Rules
Feb 5th, 2007, 10:52 PM
OMG how can anyone say god save the queen:o Its awful.

I may be biased but the welsh anthem is just perfect and lots of music teachers that i have come into contact with say its the best musically.

USA's one is quite good, italys is ok, france is quite good, australias is quite good but get fed up of hearing it 100times during the commonwealth games:o

Don't really remember many others.

alelysafina
Feb 5th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Mexico's and the USA

Here you can listen to Argentina's and Mexico's national anthems.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR9WcFohD1Q
Mexico kicks butt though.

I love the Mexican national anthem, now that's and anthem right there! I especially love that in this video every single player on the Mexican team is singing the song and turning himself towards the flag, while the Argies just stood forward and didn't even sing the words.

US and Russian national anthems are awesome as well.

Farina Elia Fan
Feb 6th, 2007, 06:46 PM
it's not the English national anthem, it's Britain's..... ;)

now is it Britains???

When England play Wales in the rugby in March - England will be using 'Britains' anthem. How is this fair???

And if you dont think its Englands then its the Commonwealth as she is the queen of the commonwealth :wavey:

Chris 84
Feb 6th, 2007, 09:45 PM
now is it Britains???

When England play Wales in the rugby in March - England will be using 'Britains' anthem. How is this fair???

And if you dont think its Englands then its the Commonwealth as she is the queen of the commonwealth :wavey:

It really is the anthem of GB, whereas England doesn't have an official national anthem.

How is it fair? It isn't, it is just extremely arrogant and illogical.

But GSTQ sucks anyway, so let them have it.....Welsh and Scottish anthems are better anyway.....not that I particularly like either of them, but it is hard to be more ludicrously feudal than GSTQ.

mandy7
Feb 6th, 2007, 09:47 PM
The Dutch (DUH!)
and the italian

Myron.Bolitar
Feb 6th, 2007, 10:01 PM
United States' anthem performed by NSync on the Salt Lake City 2002 opening ceremony - sooo great

SJW
Feb 6th, 2007, 10:07 PM
USA :yeah: I love going to sporting events here cuz I'm in awe at the people who sing it and how everyone puts their hand on their heart.

Britain: gotta love the hometown one.

Avid Merrion
Feb 6th, 2007, 10:19 PM
now is it Britains???

dang, don't you hate being quoted from ages ago? :lol:
i didn't say it was fair, i merely stated that it's the Brit anthem. don't ask me why the English seem to think it's exclusively theirs....

Cilla
Feb 6th, 2007, 10:23 PM
USA is my ultimate fave :D But, I also like the anthem's of Brazil, Italy. And, I think Wales's anthem is really rousing :D

selyoink
Feb 6th, 2007, 10:30 PM
I really like the Russian anthem.

korben
Feb 7th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Of those I have heard most

Russia, so powerfull that it really can´t be of any other nations. Good that Putin changed it back.

Sweden, compared to Russian more happier as are their folks in general.

Estonia, naturally ;) (it is same as Finlands)

Canada, best performance of national anthem O´ Canada (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meLpuF9UMvk) by Edmonton crowd. That gave me chils then and still does.

FORZA SARITA
Feb 7th, 2007, 01:22 PM
italy :hearts:

fifiricci
Feb 7th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Even though I'm British, I love the Russian anthem, I think its an incredibly moving tune :D

God Save the Queen leaves me completely cold, I'm afraid.

Then of course, there's the Welsh national anthem, a guaranteed tear jerker, specially on rugby match days in the Millenium stadium, belted out by 73,500 thousand passionate Welshies :D . Wish they'd get rid of Katherine Jenkins now though, the novelty has worn off and her singing relegates the crowd's to second place, which is NOT GOOD!

shrOOf
Feb 7th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Germany
Italy
USA

ToeTag
Feb 7th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Don't know if I've answered in this thread but: Canada {both english and french}
The old Soviet Union anthem, and France.

Bероника
Feb 7th, 2007, 08:50 PM
I love the Russian one.That's one of the reasons why I always want the Russians to excel at Olympics ;)

star
Feb 7th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Canada
USA
France

I sort of like the Irish one too.

Tarlak
Feb 7th, 2007, 09:34 PM
A lot of anthems... East German anthem is very very beautiful (slow version with introduction). Russia/USSR, USA, God Save the Queen, Bulgaria, Azerbaïdjan, Hungary, Israël, Argentina (full version), Slovakia, Ukraine, Netherlands, Sweden...

1)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLcc19mt4eA (USSR, now Russia with new lyrics)
2)East Germany (slow version with introduction !)
3)USA

Vlad Tepes
Feb 7th, 2007, 09:57 PM
I don't know any national anthems from Asia, Africa or South America, but out of the rest I really like: Germany, Italy, France, Romania, Moldova (just the lyrics actually) and the USA. GSTQ is truly awful. Oh, and my absolute favourite is the Polish anthem, I'm surprised noone mentioned it until now, it's so powerful and uplifting!

hablo
Feb 7th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Canada (in english and french)
Ivory Coast
Italy

MikeJones
Feb 8th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Right here ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldXjOAMBjV0