PDA

View Full Version : *-{** Articles & Interview **}-*

Anik
Aug 6th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Climbing the Ladder on a Budget

By Melanie Ho
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, August 6, 2006; Page E03

For Aleksandra Wozniak, the equation is simple. Money earned playing tennis tournaments equals money spent at other tennis tournaments.

"The money I earn now, pays for airfare and hotel and travel," Wozniak said.

Being 18 and having just graduated high school, the Montreal native doesn't feel pressure to immediately make money from playing tennis. In youth, there is less focus on finances than there is on getting a win or living a new experience on the tour. Wozniak, who speaks Polish, English, French and a bit of Russian, said that as she travels to different countries, she tries to organize her time so there is an opportunity to see a famous church or art gallery. She acknowledged that money comes with the territory, but said that right now it isn't a priority.

Still, it doesn't totally disappear from her radar.

"It is my job, it's my living now," said Wozniak, who lost last night to third-seeded Camille Pin of France, 6-3, 6-1, in the semifinals of the Legg Mason Women's Pro Circuit event. And then: "For sure [I worry] because if you don't win enough money, you need to somehow pay your air tickets and stuff. For sure it's always a worry on your mind."

So she, like many of the women on tour at her level (Wozniak is ranked 147th), seeks out sponsorships and tries to find ways to ensure that the expenses don't exceed the earnings. There are ways to supplement income, such as promotional work, charity appearances and obtaining smaller sponsorships for clothing and shoes. Some women even coach on the side when they find the time. It combines for a busy schedule.

"As far as the grind goes, I think it's a lot easier when you're in the top 50 because you can set your schedule every week of what you're going to do," said Bill Belser, Wozniak's traveling coach. "At the 150 level, you're hoping you get into bigger tournaments and if you don't, you have to go to the smaller tournaments."

And then there is all the organizational work -- planning and adjusting the schedules. Wozniak said that after a tournament loss, she'll sometimes spend an hour or two on the phone attempting to change a flight. Sometimes in between workouts and practices, she'll have to sit down and figure out how to book her practice courts and her physiotherapy and massage therapy sessions.

"You're the boss of your career," Wozniak said. "That's it. You're the chief of what you're doing and the other ones [the top players] they have like 12 agents that take care of every different aspect of their tennis career."

Wozniak's mother, Jadwiga, travels to many of the tournaments. Jadwiga Wozniak said she and husband, Antoni, didn't necessarily have the financial backing to help their older daughter, Dorota, become a professional tennis player. But when Dorota, who is 11 years older than Aleksandra, earned a scholarship to play at San Diego State University, the Wozniak family was able to focus their attention, and their finances, on Aleksandra.

They try to cut costs -- Jadwiga travels with Aleksandra and they look either for university dorms or tournament host families. With hotel bills that can easily surpass $1,000 per tournament, the money is better spent traveling. Even with these cost-cutting measures, Wozniak estimates she still spends $60,000 a year on tennis, though that amount would double if her father was not her coach.

"He coaches her and at least the money paying for a coach, this we can cut," Jadwiga Wozniak said, slicing the air with her right hand.

Sponsorships become key, especially since Belser estimates it takes a top-100 ranking for players to become able to save their earnings.

"Without sponsorship it's tough, they have to really save their pennies and room with other girls, looking for housing at tournaments with families," Belser said.

So Wozniak, who has one small sponsor, seeks out others. She does, however, have another plan.

"Sponsorships, it takes a lot of time, so I'm trying not to think about it so much so that I can win the tournaments and pay my own way," she said.

Anik
Oct 2nd, 2006, 02:58 PM
Wozniak victorious in singles
By ROCKY STANLEY / The Independent

Aleksandra Wozniak had another week to remember.

The 19-year-old Canadian came to Ashland as the fifth-seeded singles player in the $50,000 Our Lady of Bellefonte Hospital Tennis Classic.

She left with the championship, more than $7,000 in prize money and a handful of ranking points that will push her close to becoming one of the world’s top 100 players.

Wozniak, a Montreal resident, cooled off red-hot Agnes Szavay of Hungary 6-1, 7-6 in the finals Sunday afternoon at the Ashland Tennis Center.

“I’m very happy,’’ Wozniak said. “There are so many emotions involved. A week like this improves your confidence. After this, it will be my best ranking ever.’’

Wozniak is certainly on the rise. Her ranking went from 878 at the end of 2003 to 168 heading into this season. She was 127th as of last Monday.

“Aleksandra is a very good player,’’ Szavay said. “She plays good on the hard court. What more can I say?’’

Wozniak’s game spoke for itself. Szavay never managed to hold serve in the opening set as Wozniak rattled off six consecutive games after losing the opener.

Szavay struggled with her serve throughout the match, but found her stride in the second set to build a 5-1 lead before Wozniak dug in and rallied.

She pulled even at 5-5, dropped the next game, but then won a marathon game to force a tiebreaker.

“I got tired in the second set, but kept fighting and played the way I have to,’’ Wozniak said. “I kept believing in myself.’’

Szavay won the first point of the tiebreaker, but Wozniak strung together the next five points and went on to close out the match on another double fault by Szavay.

“Today I was a little tired. I had a great tournament but would be more happy if I won,’’ said Szavay, who won three qualifying matches and four more in the main draw to reach the title match.

Szavay hopes to return to Ashland next year, with a different result.

“I had a great tournament going from the qualies to the finals,’’ she said. “I did my best. I tried everything. Next year, I come back in the main draw and win the championship.’’

Wozniak, who has six pro singles titles, won all five of her singles matches this week in straight sets, including a 6-2, 6-1 victory over top-seeded Laura Granville.

Anik
Oct 2nd, 2006, 02:59 PM
Wozniak captures OLBH Classic
By David Walsh
The Herald-Dispatch

ASHLAND, Ky. -- Aleksandra Wozniak traveled down two paths Sunday en route to winning the singles title in the $50,000 USTA Pro Circuit Our Lady of Bellefonte Hospital Tennis Classic.

Wozniak, the No. 5 seed from Canada, rolled to a 6-1 victory in the opening set as she broke unseeded Agnes Szavay's serve three times.

In the second set, Szavay, who is from Hungary, opened a 5-1 lead and had a chance to serve out for the set. Wozniak got it to duece, survived five sets points and finally got the break to stay alive. She reeled off three straight points to get even at 5-5. Both players then held on their next serve to force a tie-breaker.

Wozniak, 19, ran off five straight points for a 5-1 lead. Szavay, 17, did get the next point, but Wozniak won the final two for a 7-6 (2) triumph.

"I beat another tough player," said Wozniak, who ousted No. 1 seed Laura Granville in the quarterfinals. "This will improve my confidence." And her ranking as Wozniak, who came in at No. 126, is expected to climb to No. 102.

In doubles, the No. 2-seeded team of Julie Ditty and Milagros Sequera (Venezuela) defeated top-seeded Ashley Harkleroad (U.S.) and Szavay, 6-3, 5-7, 6-2. The victory capped off a big week for Ditty, who is from Ashland and got into the tournament as a wild card.

"This tournament is special to win," said Ditty.

For Ditty, this was her third straight doubles crown and second straight with Sequera. Overall, Ditty has 18 Pro Circuit doubles wins to her credit.

"The first and third sets we played well," Ditty said. "This week we had a habit of

winning the first set and having a letdown in the second set."

Ohio University Southern media taped the match and televised it Sunday night. The Tennis Channel was in for the weekend and will have a highlight show at a later date.

"Once again Ashland has done it," ITF supervisor Dessie Samuels said. This is the third year Ashland has been host.

Wozniak said she wanted to get off to a fast start.

"It was so intense and I was aggressive," she said. "Her serve started going away."

In the second set, Szavay got her touch back on the serve. Mixed in with some well-time drop shots and passing shots, she enjoyed a 5-1 lead and spectators thought the match would go to a third set.

"So many emotions are involved," said Wozniak, who was fighting a cold this week. "I had a low energy drop and the shots were not going. I was tired mentally and thinking why can't I do it.

"I played my heart out and believed in myself. I kept thinking I can get it to a tie-break. I had to be tough mentally and stay positive."

Saralah.
Oct 27th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Well, 2 years bump. Go me.
Top-ranked Canadian receives Medal of the National Assembly

Québec tennis player Aleksandra Wozniak was honoured by the members of the National Assembly on Thursday afternoon. To highlight the recent performances of the 20-year-old athlete, the MNAs presented her with the Medal of the National Assembly, which is for the exclusive use of parliamentarians and is awarded to persons of their choice who merit special recognition. Wozniak, who hails from Blainville, received the medal after a motion was introduced by Blainville MNA Pierre Gingras.

“This is a great honour,” said Wozniak after the ceremony. “To me, this medal recognizes the work that my father, who is also my coach, and I have accomplished since I first started playing tennis. I am extremely proud.”

“Having been the mayor of Blainville for twelve years, I’ve known Aleksandra since she was little,” affirmed Mr. Gingras. “She is a world-class athlete and never ceases to impress me with her combativeness and determination. I am proud of her and I am certain that the people of Blainville and all of Québec share in my pride.”

In July, Wozniak won the Bank of the West Classic in Stanford, California. She defeated Marion Bartoli (15th) of France in the final and Serena Williams (5th) of the United States in the semi. Her victories made her the first Québec player and only the fifth Canadian to win a WTA title. Wozniak has also won seven ITF (International Tennis Federation) tournaments since the beginning of her career.

Wozniak, who began the 2008 season ranked 136th in the world is today ranked 37th on the WTA Tour – the highest ranking every reached by a player from Québec. Only two Canadians have held higher rankings than Wozniak: Carling Basset-Seguso (8th) in 1985, and Helen Kelesi (13th) in 1989.

In 2008, in addition to her win in Stanford, Wozniak also reached the second round at Wimbledon, the third round at the French Open, the quarters in Cincinnati and the semis in Tokyo.

Wozniak will conclude the 2008 season next week in Québec at the Bell Challenge presented by the National Bank.

So.. what's next? I mean, when she'll be in top 20 =P...

Anik
Oct 30th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Aleksandra's Quebec Blog - October 27, 2008
http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1/newsroom/stories/?ContentID=2750

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/global/library/200x250/wozniak_08qcblog_mon_200.jpg

Aleksandra Wozniak, Jadwiga Wozniak

QUÉBEC CITY, Canada - It has been a whirlwind last few months for Aleksandra Wozniak, highlighted by becoming the first Canadian in over 20 years to win a singles title on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour, doing so at one of the biggest events of the year in Stanford, California in August. Since then she has cut her ranking in more than half and is firmly planted in the Top 40 as she chases her second title of the year on home turf at the Bell Challenge in Québec City.

-----

Monday, October 27, 2008

Hi everyone!

This is my first blog on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour website. I hope you'll all enjoy reading my blog as much as I will enjoy writing to you.

I arrived in Québec City on Thursday, driving three hours from Montréal in my C30 Volvo. I feel lucky to have Volvo Laval as one of my sponsors, alongside Iris and Fida, because I get a free car :) In the afternoon I went to the Parliament Building to receive a medal from the National Assmebly. The Premier of Québec - Jean Charest - negotiates politics there. It was a great honor for me to receive this medal for what I've accomplished this year and for becoming the first woman from Québec to be ranked in the Top 50. It shows that all of the effort my parents and I keep putting into my career continues to bring success (my dad has been coaching me since I was three years old... so we've both been working hard!)

On Friday I took part in the draw ceremony with the Tournament Director, Jack Hérisset, and representatives from the main tournament sponsors, Bell and National Bank. Of course, the Tour Supervisor was with us too. I was supposed to play Melinda Czink in my first round but the draw was changed after Flavia Pennetta withdrew, and now I'm playing Edina Gallovits in my first round, which will be Tuesday night. I'm the fourth seed here - I'm very excited because for the first time, there's a seeded player from Québec at the Bell Challenge!

On Saturday night, after my practice, I went out to eat in the beautiful city. There is so much variety in restaurants here in terms of culture - Italian, Thai, Spanish and many more... it's great! Every night has a different taste.

On Sunday afternoon I went to the big hockey arena in the city to do the face-off on the ice between Québec's best junior team - the Remparts - and the Lewiston team from the United States. We won, 7-1! There were more than 12,00o fans cheering our team on. The team is coached by Patrick Roy, an ex-Canadian goalie. He has both of his sons on the team, and one of them is a goalie too!

Sunday evening I went to the player party. It was a very nice, fancy dinner, with a band playing some fun music. I wore a very nice red dress by ENVERS, which is by my designer Yves-Jean Lacasse. I enjoyed myself but I didn't stay up too late because this morning I had to train at 8:30am. I did two different TV interviews too... when I can, I like to give back some of my time to the media and sponsors, because I am so grateful for their support.

I'll write again tomorrow night after my match - I'm playing the feature night match at the PEPS University of Laval, so come out and watch!

Enjoy your evenings everyone =)

Aleks

Anik
Oct 30th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Hello again everyone!

Since I didn't play until 7pm today, I had time to do some other things during the day. My mother and I had a nice lunch at an Italian restaurant, then I had my practice session from noon to 1pm with de los Ríos, who was also warming up for her match. Then I went back to the computers for a little bit. I did some reading too - I'm reading a book called "The Pursuit of Excellence", an English book about focusing on seven key elements in your life... my brother got it for me. Then I came here at 5pm, ate and warmed up 15 minutes before my match...

I was trying to be aggressive from the beginning of the match against Gallovits. I made some errors but I quickly recovered, and I believe in the end when you play offensive tennis, you usually win. That was pretty much the key today!

This is my second year playing at home. What I like about playing in Québec is that the crowd is so supportive. I always try to stay in my bubble and just concentrate, but I can still hear all of the support and it feels really nice.

We're going to go out to eat dinner now. I feel like Thai food. I love Thai, Polish, Mexican and Italian, but right now I'm craving Thai. I don't like spicy food, but I love the noodles Smiley And I can't have Italian twice in the same day!

Later on I'll probably watch a movie. Last night I watched "What Happens in Vegas" with Cameron Diaz and Ashton Kutcher. I loved it. I laughed so hard my stomach was hurting me! Since coming here, I've also watched Mamma Mia and The Strangers, although I didn't really feel it was THAT scary... I love watching movies, it really takes my mind off of tennis and calms me down. I think I'll watch Mirrors tonight... it's also supposed to be a scary one!

That's pretty much it for me today.

Aleks

Anik
Oct 30th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Hello again everyone Smiley

Maybe you already know, but my second passion in life is fashion. So in my spare time this morning I drew some sketches of dresses. I'm hoping to one day have my own clothing store. But that was actually the second thing I did today - first I did some pilates! My trainer gave me a DVD to take on the road, and I've been following along, because I know how pilates can help me prevent injuries. I also made updates to my website - the link to it is below, so please check it out Smiley

I played my first doubles match of the week this afternoon and unfortunately we weren't able to win. I was playing with Mara Santangelo and we lost to de los Ríos and Perry, 64 63. The courts here are very fast, it's like we're playing squash! But they played well. I'm hoping to play more doubles in the months to come. Right now I can only play at a Grand Slam or if I get a wildcard, because at Grand Slams they use your singles ranking, and my doubles ranking isn't high enough to get me into the other events. But I hope to improve on that!

Another thing I have to tell you about is that I bought a PSP, and I was playing some games on it before my doubles match. It's so much fun! I got two games, just to try it out - Shrek and Mario - and I'm really liking it. I used to think things like Game Boys were for boys, but not anymore. I played Nintendo when I was little - my sister and I had like 1000 games. I'm getting back into it again!

I'm playing my next singles match tomorrow, against Carly Gullickson. I've never played her before and I think it'll be a good match - so I hope you'll all come out and cheer me on! I'll answer some questions now... talk to you all again tomorrow!

Aleks

Has anyone ever confused you with Caroline Wozniacki? - Sarav
We get confused a lot! Sometimes I get faxes or letters delivered to my room, and sometimes people call her thinking they're calling me. Everyone thinks our names are the same, but it's really two completely different names. Mine isn't a short version of hers or anything! But anyway, we're good friends. We grew up playing each other in the juniors. I was actually 3-0 against her in the juniors, but the first time we played since then - at Wimbledon this year - she won. Grass isn't my surface, and she's really good on grass. So anyway, your answer is yes!

What is your goal for 2009? - Serge, Canada
Last December, I said I wanted to get to the Top 50 this year, and I got there in the middle of the year. So now I want to get into the Top 20 next year. I'll have two months off in Montréal now to prepare for the season. I'm trying to improve my technical and tactical games, and also I want to get stronger physically, because we're competing at such a high level on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour.

What are your plans for the off-season? - Jeffrey
Thanks for your question! I have some commercials to do at home - I did one before coming here actually, for Volvo. I'll also do some catching up with my family at home. My sister is coming with her twin girls and husband at Christmas. I was planning on taking a week off but I'm too motivated to stop training now - I want to get right back to work after this tournament!

Anik
Oct 31st, 2008, 07:12 PM
Thursday, October 30, 2008

Good evening to y'all,

I had breakfast with my mom this morning at my favorite restaurant in Québec City - Cosmos, which has such a nice, relaxing musical atmosphere all day long, with nice decorations inside. I had a bagel with all kinds of different fruit... so yummy!! I didn't dare try their big crêpes Wink I hope to after the tournament.

I went to the hotel gym to do some running, streching and rubber band exercises to prevent shoulder injuries, because playing so many matches all year round at a high level can be tough on your body if you don't take good care of it. Then I went to hit for an hour at the PEPS with my travelling coach, Cristian Kordasz.

I ate a good, energetic lunch: carbs with protein and veggies. Then I returned to the hotel and watched the Mirrors movie with my mom Jaga, and it didn't scare me at all Wink I am happy that my mom is here with me because she doesn't get to travel with me this much normally. So I enjoy having her with me and I can talk to her about everything, she is my best friend Smiley

Tomorrow is Halloween!! I love Halloween and every other holiday. I always like to decorate on holidays and do something special with everyone. Tomorrow morning I hope to go to this beautiful park couple of minutes away from the hotel, where they put up wonderful happy and scary Halloween decorations Smiley I enjoy doing simple things, like walking in a park just enjoying the moment, because it makes me feel happy about life and it recharges me mentally.

Oh I forgot to tell you guys something about this morning's practice. When I was hitting with Cristian, these two big fans came on the court and asked me to pose for a picture while I was training, so I had to say no Sad But I always try my best to please and do as much as possible for my fans. This time I couldn't, it had to be after my practice. I need to be very disciplined. Practice makes champions.

After the movie we went to the PEPS to have my last trainning before my match against Carly. I won, 63 62. It has already started to snow here but it melted quickly! So I did my media press conference after my match and then returned to my room. I ordered room service because it's too cold to go out tonight. I will play tomorrow evening at 7pm, against the winner of tonight's match between Voskoboeva and Marino. I haven't played either of them before.

Have a happy Halloween tomorrow Smiley Have FUN!!

A

What kind of music do you like listening to? - Manuel, Spain
Hi Manuel. I like different kinds of music depending how I feel that day. I like pop, dance, hip-hop, etc... I don't have preferences. It depends on my emotions.

Who is the most difficult player to play against? - Rene, Canada
Hi Rene - my Fed Cup captain's name is Rene Collins, is that you?? LOL. I actually would say Lindsay Davenport, since I played her twice and fell twice to her. She is a great champion. I admire her for all that she achieved for so many years.

Do you train with the other Canadian players? - David
Hey Dave, thanks for your question. Honestly we don't really train together, except for Fed Cup. We live in different places, since we are many Canadians and we have very different schedules of tournaments. Right now I'm ranked a bit higher than the others, so I'm playing different tournaments than them. Most times I just like to train with my dad in Montréal to improve different things Smiley

What is your biggest strength and biggest weakness in tennis? - William
Hello William. Overall my whole game is pretty strong because I feel I'm a more agressive player on the court now. I'm still improving a lot of my game. I want to be stronger physically next year.

What are your three favourite movies? - Steve, USA
Hey Steve! Well that's a tough question because I love so many of them. From what I have watched lately, I really loved "What Happens in Vegas" with Ashton Kutcher and Cameron Diaz, then I would say "Mamma Mia" and "Sickness" with Elisha Cuthbert (she's Canadian).

steph1982
Jul 26th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Friday, July 24, 2009

Chat with Aleksandra Wozniak - SportsNation - ESPN : http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/27564/wta-tour-a-wozniak

Arnaud (Montreal (Canada))
Hi Aleks ! Do you have any expectations for the summer hardcourt season ? Good luck for all you matches :)

Aleksandra Wozniak (2:48 PM)
Definitley it's going to be a long season on the hard court. I hope to reach my goal in the top 20. That's what I'm looking for.

Aleksandra Wozniak (2:48 PM)
I was 21 two weeks ago, so I was pretty close. Now I have to defend my title here in Stanford. I have a lot of points up to defend.

Danny (Charleston)
Where does last year's stanford title rank among your career accomplishments?

Aleksandra Wozniak (2:49 PM)
It's the first time I won a WTA title. It was a special moment for me. I got to be the first woman from Quebec to be in the top 50. It was a big accomplishment for me and I hope to have more.

Byron (McDonough GA)

How many hours a day do you train??

Aleksandra Wozniak (2:50 PM)
Offseason, between tournaments, I try eight hours a day, two sessions of tennis and two of fitness. During the tournaments, I just do maintenance. I do once a day fitness and I'll have two hits a day, but less hours. It might be 3-4 hours compared to 8 hours during the offseason.

Jessica M. (St Petersburg)
What has been the favorite city you have been to?

Aleksandra Wozniak (2:51 PM)
Well, I love Montreal! The people there are so good to me. But I love also Melbourne in Australia. It's so beautiful. Nice weather every day. It puts you in a good mood. The people there are nice.

Dorota Miller (Tyler, TX)
How hard is it to be away from your family for weeks at a time and how important it is to get their support during your career?

Aleksandra Wozniak (2:53 PM)
My family is No. 1, ever since I was little. They support me. It helps me stay motivated. Never give up and stay positive. It's really important to have them around. It's hard for me to not see them. Sometimes my mom comes on tour, sometimes my dad. My sister lives in Texas. She wakes up at 4 am for the live scoring. It's difficult. It's never easy, but I try to see them as much as I can.

David (Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
HI Aleksandra! First, I want to say I am SO PROUD of everything you have accomplished this past year! I know your results are going to motivate all Canadian players! My question is: do you work closely with Tennis Canada still, and train with the other girls like Stephanie Dubois, Sharin Fichman, etc. or have you separated yourself and train solo? Thanks so much, and all the best in your title defense at Stanford! GO CANADA GO!!!

Aleksandra Wozniak (2:54 PM)
I make time for everyone. I'm proud to be Canadian and I hope to motivate the young players so there are more players on tour. I followed others before me and now I'm building on that. I definitely train with the girls in Montreal with the other Canadians. I'm grateful for the support that I've been receiving from all the fans in Canada. It inspires me to go higher and keep on going.

Steven (Nj)
Who is the hardest person you ever faced?

Aleksandra Wozniak (2:56 PM)
The toughest player....I played Serena Williams and I won against her. She's one of the most physical players on tour. The Williams sisters changed the game. I think it's tough to play against them. If you have a good gameplan, you can beat anyone. The other one is Caroline Wozniaki, we almost have the same name! She's beat me 3 times. Hopefuly next time I have my revenge.

Aleksandra Wozniak (2:57 PM)
Well, I love Wimbledon for all the history and tradition. It's a challenge to play on grass. It's my favorite Grand Slam. For the other tournaments, Stanford, because I won. And for the atmosphere, Montreal, because it's back home.

Steven (Nj)

Who were your favorite players growing up?

Aleksandra Wozniak (2:58 PM)
Well, my idol was Monica Seles. I was looking up to her. She was a great role model for girls around the world. She has been through so much, ups and downs. She is a great tennis player. Now, I'll have a chance to play in a celebrity match with her as my doubles partner against Navratilova and Serena Williams. It will be great to play with her.

Wayne G. (Brantford, Ontario)
Other than tennis, what is your favourite sport?

Aleksandra Wozniak (2:58 PM)
I would hockey. There is so much hockey going on in Montreal. I love the Canadians. I really support them.

william desbiens (trois-rivieres, qc)

hi aleks, I want to know you will be a seed player at the bank of the west because you won the title last year, thanks, et merde pour le tournoi ... you can beat all :)

Aleksandra Wozniak (2:59 PM)
I think I'll be seeded. The draw will be at 1 p.m. PT today. I won't be playing in the qualifiers this year. Last year it was really tough to play all those matches. First time in my life I'll need to defend a tournament. I love the challenge.

Betty (RI)
what do think of city in STanford?

Aleksandra Wozniak (3:00 PM)
It's really a nice place. I love California in general, the weather is nice. It's warm. It puts me in a good mood.

Aleksandra Wozniak (3:01 PM)
Thank you for supporting me and watching me in my career. Following me in the live scoring. Your support motivates me and I hope to make you all proud!

Wozzy4life
Jul 27th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Dorota Miller (Tyler, TX)
How hard is it to be away from your family for weeks at a time and how important it is to get their support during your career?

Aleksandra Wozniak (2:53 PM)
My family is No. 1, ever since I was little. They support me. It helps me stay motivated. Never give up and stay positive. It's really important to have them around. It's hard for me to not see them. Sometimes my mom comes on tour, sometimes my dad. My sister lives in Texas. She wakes up at 4 am for the live scoring. It's difficult. It's never easy, but I try to see them as much as I can.

Is it me who is crazy... or she really chatted with her sister? xD