PDA

View Full Version : The Most Over-Rated And Under-Rated Players On Tour?

Mana
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Just wondering.

For me:
Overrated : Hantuchova
Underrated: Patty, Julia

(*getting ready for badreps*)

So Disrespectful
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:06 AM
I'd just like to say that I don't believe Daniela is overrated at all. Nobody expects her to beat anyone ranked above her, and no one expects her to lose to anyone ranked below her. Therefore I think she has a fair representation.

Mana
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:08 AM
I'd just like to say that I don't believe Daniela is overrated at all. Nobody expects her to beat anyone ranked above her, and no one expects her to lose to anyone ranked below her. Therefore I think she has a fair representation.

But she does loose to players below her...all the time. How does she stay in top 20:o

So Disrespectful
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:14 AM
If she doesn't get her act together to defend her hardcourt points, she won't be in the top 20 for much longer.

I forgot to mention..
Overrated- Ivanovic
Underrated- Jankovic

donellcarey
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Overrated:Karolina Sprem、Ashley Harkleroad
Underrated:Samantha Stosur

skanky~skanketta
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:21 AM
i cant think of any over rated ones. over hyped yes. mirza (though i love her), ivanovic, most of the youngsters.

under rated - myskina, francesca.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Aug 6th, 2006, 11:09 AM
underrated:
Sveta (hello!!! RG final and yet none of the "experts" even mention her name with regard to US open winner)

Schnyder-talent personified

overrated:
Clijsters, Sharapova-great players but commentators do constantly praise them, they can never do wrong, it bugs me-they both have weaknesses but they're never mentioned

mike/topgun
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:21 PM
It depends on the view.
Overrated: there were some - i.e. Francesca, Nadia, Sania, Ana, Alicia...
Underrated: Nastya, Vera Z, and Marta :lol:

vogus
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Just wondering.

For me:

you think Julia Schruff is the most underrated player on tour? :tape:

IceSkaTennisFan
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Under-rated
Eleni Daniilidou (damn injuries and inconsistency :sad: )
Schnyder (it seems like she is starting to get the recognition she deserves)
Lindsay Davenport (Love her but she can be a head case sometimes)

Over-rated
Without any dominant player in the womens field, it's not easy to say. I think the reason Petrova would seem over-rated is b/c she's really the only one who has failed to live up to her potential in majors this year. At least Mauresmo and Clijsters have already won their big one.

I actually don't think Sharapova is over-rated. I think she just is a very visible athlete in the world - the commercial deals (obviously based on looks first, then talent), her being one of the highest payed women in sports, plus she's a consistent competitor. I hear the commentators on ESPN talk all the time about Maria needing to come in to the net more and at least being a mediocre mover around the court.

I would say that there are more over-rated tennis players on the mens side.

Geisha
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Over-Rated - Petrova
Under-Rated - Myskina

RR-87
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:51 PM
overrated: harkleroad, golovin :scared: *don't bad rep me please* :angel:
underrated: dementieva, petrova, zvonareva :(

iPatty
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:05 PM
overrated: sharapova, vaidisova, mirza.

underrated: schnyder, kuznetsova, perry.

i think patty is starting to be viewed more as a threat on tour with her recent results. hopefully she can continue to play well throughout the rest of the summer.

mirzalover
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:09 PM
over-rated maria sharapova shenay perry

under-rated patty flavia zheng

fufuqifuqishahah
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Just wondering.

For me:

:)

underrated because no one talks about them including me: julia shruff, king, medina garrigues (no one talks about her, nor do i and she is 19th in race), santangelo, srebotnik, dominguez lino, castano, safarova, muller, yuan, savchuk, and zakopolova (she changed her name).

rrfnpump
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:14 PM
:cuckoo: at the people saying Maria is overrated :o
she has won a GS, YEC, was world No1... I mean, what do you guys want??

Overrated : Ivanovic (also in terms of beauty)
Underrated : Petrova (she is the Davydenko of the WTA Tour)

Piotr'ek
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:14 PM
OverRated - Ivanovic
UnderRated - Chakvetadze

Rachel_
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Overrated - Ivanovic, Hantuchova, Safarova, Harkleroad, Kraijkeck, Sprem, Petrova
Underrated - Schynder, Kuznetsova, Myskina, Pennetta, Zvonereva,

Dementieva (by commentators only -ppl here can see her talent but tv commentators just talk about her serve dfs etc...no mention of her terrific fh and speed)

Derek.
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Just wondering.

For me:

Daniela isn't overrated. :rolleyes:

Everyone thinks she'll lose every match so how is that being overrated? :help:

She has a lot of talent. She's not overrated. :shrug:

She's an underachiever atm.

*death* @ Julia being underrated. :tape:

UDACHi
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:31 PM
chakvetadze is so damn underrated, even when she's getting good results.

spencercarlos
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:33 PM

And she plays like/similar to Federer (power, touch, volleys) :p

Derek.
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:35 PM
And she plays like Federer :p

Of course she does. :angel:

Derek.
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:36 PM

Very true. :awww:

spencercarlos
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:38 PM

I think Daniela has a very well rounded game like Kournikova at her best had, but lacks that weapon that superior shot to make her dominate and move to the next level and be a contender for GS. She does not have an intimidating shot to put oponnents off balance, and neither she has a strong phisique like Clijsters, Mauresmo and WS at their best have. I donīt think she overrated or underrated, but i donīt think she is an underachiever, unless she makes an important change to her game to make it dominant.

Cat's Pajamas
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:39 PM

You beat me to it Jordan :worship:

Derek.
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:42 PM
I think Daniela has a very well rounded game like Kournikova at her best had, but lacks that weapon that superior shot to make her dominate and move to the next level and be a contender for GS. She does not have an intimidating shot to put oponnents off balance, and neither she has a strong phisique like Clijsters, Mauresmo and WS at their best have. I donīt think she overrated or underrated, but i donīt think she is an underachiever, unless she makes an important change to her game to make it dominant.

Spencercarlos, do you have a crush on me or something? :o

---------

Anyways, I agree with some parts. ;) She does have weapons though and that's her ability to hit winner off both sides, but that's hard to do when you can't play defense. :help: She has to go for big shots, or else she'll be on the run, which results in unforced errors. I think people fear her groundies and know if they don't dictate they will be the ones doing the running. I don't mean they fear them like Federer so don't even go there. :ras: I agree that she does need to get stronger which will help her even more. :angel: She has more weapons than Kournikova did. :o She has all the talent to go to the next level. She needs to work on some things, especially her mental toughness and her fitness.

spencercarlos
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Spencercarlos, do you have a crush on me or something? :o

---------

Anyways, I agree with some parts. ;) She does have weapons though and that's her ability to hit winner off both sides, but that's hard to do when you can't play defense. :help: She has to go for big shots, or else she'll be on the run, which results in unforced errors. I think people fear her groundies and know if they don't dictate they will be the ones doing the running. I don't mean they fear them like Federer so don't even go there. :ras: I agree that she does need to get stronger which will help her even more. :angel: She has more weapons than Kournikova did. :o She has all the talent to go to the next level. She needs to work on some things, especially her mental toughness and her fitness.
Not but since the other day you said that Daniela played like Federer you certainly got my attention.
Daniela can be your fave and anything you want, and you can think she can win a grand slam, but she certainly RIGHT NOW does not have the game yet to win a grand slam, neither the mental strenght to survive 7 grand slam matches. She has showed this by her results time after time.
Unless she starts to reach the latter rounds of Grand Slams with more consistency, advance further than the QF, then we can especulate about her winning a grand slam. No?

Derek.
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Not but since the other day you said that Daniela played like Federer you certainly got my attention.
Daniela can be your fave and anything you want, and you can think she can win a grand slam, but she certainly RIGHT NOW does not have the game yet to win a grand slam, neither the mental strenght to survive 7 grand slam matches. She has showed this by her results time after time.
Unless she starts to reach the latter rounds of Grand Slams with more consistency, advance further than the QF, then we can especulate about her winning a grand slam. No?

*death*

You think I think she can win a GS right now? :help:

I just pray that she gets to the 4th round. :o

hurricanejeanne
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:02 PM
overrated: Mirza (really overhyped), Ivanovic (has the foundation of a game, but she needs to play some smaller events and work her way up)

underrated: Chakvetadze, Jankovic (out of the slump, dangerous floater), Kuznetsova(when she's on...she damn good)

Dexter
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:08 PM
OverRated - Ivanovic
UnderRated - Chakvetadze*death* you were not the 1st one who posted it... what's up with u? :tape: :o

dizoo
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Overated - Ivanovic.Mirza.Sprem.Golovin

Underated - Sveta.Patty

AaronJoyB
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Overrated: Myskina

Underrated:Schnyder

Piotr'ek
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:00 PM
*death* you were not the 1st one who posted it... what's up with u? :tape: :oWhat? Are you stupid or what? :rolleyes:

meruvien
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Overrated : Vaidisova, Sharapova
Underrated : Ivanovic (she is not playing very well right now but i think she will be N°1 in the future and will have a better career than Vaidisova), Kuznetsova and Myskina

Zauber
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:37 PM
underated Kuznetsova
overrated Mirza