Predictable...

Nickk
Aug 6th, 2006, 12:11 PM
I think it's a wise decision.

You can't risk nobody's lives.

-sugi-
Aug 6th, 2006, 12:14 PM
I expected this,

wasn't Anna Smashnova wanting to retire here? I feel bad for her...

Kim's_fan_4ever
Aug 6th, 2006, 12:17 PM
I think it's a wise decision.

You can't risk nobody's lives.
Agree in 100%

1star
Aug 6th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Sorry to hear that. :sad:

Let's pray for peace :(

Williams-forever
Aug 6th, 2006, 01:59 PM
So bad... :o :rolleyes: :fiery:

Dennis^^
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I didn't expect it to be else. Like Nickk said, it's too risky.

hurricanejeanne
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:11 PM
As expected... :sad:
Like some of you said, it's just too dangerous right now.

I too thought Anna Smashnova was to retire here, wonder what she'll do now.

Vut
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:28 PM
expected!

spiceboy
Aug 8th, 2006, 03:52 PM
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1154525819670&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

ITA cancels Anda Open
By ALLON SINAI (editors@jpost.com)

Following days of uncertainty and speculation, the Israel Tennis Association has cancelled the Anda Open, which would have been Israel's first ever WTA Tour event, due to the security situation.

The decision to cancel the $145,000 tournament was made jointly by the WTA, sponsor Henry Zimand, tournament director Ian Froman and ITA executives.

"The health and security of the players, the fans and the media is of the highest importance to us all," WTA CEO Larry Scott wrote to the ITA. "Unfortunately, the current situation in the Middle East does not enable the necessary security and safety levels. Therefore, we will not be able to hold the tournament in October. The tournament will be held in 2007."

"The WTA tournaments have always been a driving force behind creating unity between people and nations, but because of the situation in the region we have no choice but to cancel the tournament in Israel," Scott added.

The tournament was named the Anda Open in memory of the wife of sponsor Zimand, who said, "It is a difficult decision, but reality has dictated it.

"The players from oversees were scared of coming to Israel and I understand them. It is obviously our obligation to take care of the safety of the players and it is difficult to take such a responsibility in the current situation."

ITA president and tournament director Dr. Ian Froman was upset about having to call off the event. "We invested a lot in organizing the tournament and everything was ready for a high level competition," he said. "Before the war broke out, 88 players from 33 countries had already registered. I'm very disappointed with the cancellation of the tournament."

goldenlox
Aug 8th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Lets hope that next year, there is peace in the mid East and tennis tournaments can be played safely

petra martinnen
Aug 8th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Israel has better top 150 tennis players than does the UK. Considering how Britannia is home to Wimbledon and "lawn tennis," it is AMAZING!! Israel w 5 million souls beats England in Davis Cup and Fed Cup!

ezekiel
Aug 8th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Tel Aviv is safe but it's better safe than sorry and people over there have their priorities