PDA

View Full Version : Who is the Faster Player??? Venus or Kim?

fufuqifuqishahah
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:47 AM
I think Venus can be faster because of her long legs and explosive reach, but Kim is more consistently faster and plays more behind the baseline than venus.

oakkao
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:49 AM
Venus is faster... If you put them on the track and have them race, Venus would win; hwoever, I think on the tennis courts Kim covers more ground moving forward, but I think Venus slightly has the edge in side to side movment due to her tremendous reach :D

delicatecutter
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:52 AM
Serena (in prime shape) moves better than anyone.

hurricanejeanne
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:53 AM
I agree that if you put the two in a race Venus would probably win.
Kim, however moves well on a tennis court side to side as well as forwards. Venus has great reach because she's so tall but I think Kim's movement is better.

supergrunt
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:56 AM
vee

Paneru
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:58 AM
Venus.

tennnisfannn
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:08 AM
Amazing how you guys are so sure who is faster. Unless players have speedometers attached to their shoe laces i am afraid we will never know, Players will move as fast as they need to for every point don't they? The closest we can get to in comparison is probably judge how players like kim and venus will play maria on the same surface. Comparing Venus/maria at wimby versus kim/maria on a hard court may not be accurate.
While kim and venus seem so fast, serena and justine seem pretty quick too.

GrandSlam05
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:10 AM
I think when Venus is playing her speed is more effective because she's able to put more pace on a ball when stretched whereas Kim has to go for more of a defensive shot. Venus just has great speed and reach.

Andy.
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:10 AM
I would say Kim.

Lulu.
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:17 AM
I think Venus because she's so tall

Brooks.
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Kim and JHH are the best movers right now on the tour

back in the day Venus and Serena were better but not now obviously

supergrunt
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:34 AM

do u mean b/c vee and ree don't play? I don't understand that comment...

Wannabeknowitall
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Venus. When they play each other it's usually not the power that gets to Kim, it's the speed of Venus.
The Venus Kim beat in the US Open last year was exhausted from Fed Cup and a bad cold. Venus still was a couple of games from winning the match in straights.

MrSerenaWilliams
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:49 AM
between the two of them....Venus...longer legs, and man can she move

Derek.
Aug 6th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Kim. :)

Munchen
Aug 6th, 2006, 08:04 AM
I'd say Kimmie :)

bionic71
Aug 6th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Whist Venus is certainly quick and hugs the baseline incredibly well due to her added reach...I give the edge to Kim in explosive speed...Kim is incredibly strong in the legs and core. Kim is also able to alter her direction and recover a little quicker than Venus.

Prizeidiot
Aug 6th, 2006, 08:18 AM
I reckon Kim is more explosive, but once they get into stride, Venus would be faster. Not that useful on a tennis court, but whatever

donellcarey
Aug 6th, 2006, 09:53 AM
I think Kim has a better move.
Venus is not that young,if you ask me this question 3 or 4 years ago,I would say Venus without any hesitation.
Venus has too many injuries,and that's the obstacle.

dreamgoddess099
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:16 AM
If you mean faster as in quick foot movement, I'd say Kim
If you mean faster as in court coverage, nobody gets there racket on more balls than Venus, it's a fact.

-Makiri-
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Kim

Kim's_fan_4ever
Aug 6th, 2006, 11:33 AM
I would say Kim, but Vee is not far behind, very close.

cellophane
Aug 6th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Venus. When they play each other it's usually not the power that gets to Kim, it's the speed of Venus.
The Venus Kim beat in the US Open last year was exhausted from Fed Cup and a bad cold. Venus still was a couple of games from winning the match in straights.

Venus played Fed Cup in July, then played Stanford a couple of weeks after.. and after that didn't play for a month? :confused:

serena_forever
Aug 6th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Vee :dance:

Viktymise
Aug 6th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Vee is probably the fastest woman ever to Grace a tennis court, at her peak in 00, 01 and even 02 she could get anything back even when injured, just look at the last 2 games of the Vee - Seles atch from Aus 02 and you'll get your answer ;)

rockstar
Aug 6th, 2006, 12:02 PM
kim. period.

Rachel_
Aug 6th, 2006, 12:03 PM
fast as in 100m race who would win - vee
fast as in best court coverage - kim

nikita771
Aug 6th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Venus is faster, but Kim is more determined. She'll go full splits to get to a ball and leave you wondering what happened, while Venus will run through it and whip it past you.

akosijepoy
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:33 PM
i saw an exibition match before. They were just goofing around. Venus vs Luke Jensen. They had a sprint race. Vee won!! hahaha

fufuqifuqishahah
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:05 PM
luke jensen is old :P so of course vee won!

pcrtennis
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Venus gets to just as many balls if not more but can do more with them...Clijsters just pops them up or chops them back in...Venus no question.

G_Slammed
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Venus never has to do the splits to get to anything, and was known to outrun the ball often. Love those KC's splits though. Hope KC wins the Open.. since she's looking to retire in '07.

GrandSlam05
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Venus gets to just as many balls if not more but can do more with them...Clijsters just pops them up or chops them back in...Venus no question.
:worship: Exactly what I was trying to say and exactly why Vee was so dominant over Kim except for lately :o

SAEKeithSerena
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Venus.

but at all the players' physical best, serena is the fastest on court.

Mudbone
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:10 PM
If they lined up and raced, Venus would smoke Kim...If Kim were as fast as Vee, she wouldn't have to do those silly splits all the time...Clijster is fast, but Venus, Serena, Henin and Dementieva are a little faster...

The above players do less running because they are far more aggressive offensively...If Kim would hit out more,, she would have to run less from side line to sideline....But Venus reaches more potential winners than any other player....

VeeReeDavJCap81
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Depends what you mean regarding speed. Kim probably has more foot spped, but Venus can cover more ground than Kim with less effor. Serena at her best was faster than both of them.

squig2k
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Kim gets all the balls

Nickk
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:54 PM
I don't think Serena was ever faster than Venus.

Venus has been faster than Kim.

cellophane
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Venus never has to do the splits to get to anything, and was known to outrun the ball often. Love those KC's splits though. Hope KC wins the Open.. since she's looking to retire in '07.

Just because Kim does them and Venus doesn't do them doesn't mean Kim is slower? :confused: She may get to balls that Venus wouldn't get to by running / are impossible to get to by running? I feel like Kim overdoes them sometimes on balls that you can actually run down though and overdoes by playing too much defense.

Venus takes gazelle-like strides on the court, so she is faster in that sense, but I think Kim's reaction time / anticipation are better and she is better at changing directions.

By that token I could say the balls Kim chucks back balls Venus (or Kim or anyone) wouldn't get to by running, never mind chuck them back.

Anyhow, Venus is the fastest runner, and Kim is the fastest mover.

cellophane
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:04 PM
I don't think Serena was ever faster than Venus.

Venus is faster than Serena for sure.

vwfan
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Venus at her best is faster than Kim at her best. No contest.

Venus at her best covers more court than Kim at her best. No contest.

Kim at her best is a better purely defensive player than Venus at her best. Slight contest.

Venus at her best is a better player moving from a defensive position to offense than Kim at her best.

Still, they are pretty darn close and as last year showed Kim at her best takes down Venus on hard courts if Venus is not fully ready to play.

Serena is not a part of the comparision, but Venus at her best is faster than Serena at her best. The difference between the two is all about consistency and placement of second serve and was never about speed.

GrandSlam05
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Well one thing is certain Lindsay leaves them both in the dust! :(

cellophane
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Venus is just a better offensive player(when on). But this poll isn't about that. I don't think they played each other when both played perfect.

Williams-forever
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:13 PM
On a good day, no-one can match Venu's reach and reflexes, but i voted for Kim cause of her unique splits and speed. Love the movement of both :hearts:

IceHock
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Kim is the fastest on tour.

Zauber
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:40 PM
they used to be equally fast.
With Kim being a bit quicker.
Now its no contest oviously.
Do I need to say anything about a big bum, a big bust?

Zauber
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:42 PM
oops i goofed I thought it was Serena.
Venus is still fast as ever.

LegionArgentina
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Venus

Tennisaddict
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Wimbledon 2005 was an example of Venus' extreme reach and ability to hit balls back with interest that are winners against any other player. Clijsters footspeed is quicker, but Venus court coverage is more effective. I hope these two will square off soon!
Venus is able to get many of Clijsters balls back, but Clijsters has visibly more problems to bring Venus' balls back as was shown at Antwerp 2005 and the first part of the Us Open quarterfinal.

shap_half
Aug 6th, 2006, 08:03 PM

I don't think either Venus or Serena has the footwork that Justine does. Now or ever.

vwfan
Aug 6th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Wimbledon 2005 was an example of Venus' extreme reach and ability to hit balls back with interest that are winners against any other player. Clijsters footspeed is quicker, but Venus court coverage is more effective. I hope these two will square off soon!
Venus is able to get many of Clijsters balls back, but Clijsters has visibly more problems to bring Venus' balls back as was shown at Antwerp 2005 and the first part of the Us Open quarterfinal.I agree.

I think the fact that Venus has won Wimbledon three times (with grass being the fastest surface on tour) and Kim has never even made it to the finals, tells you who is fastest, gets to the ball quickest, and returns it with interest.

Brooklyn90
Aug 6th, 2006, 08:42 PM
kim

RenaSlam.
Aug 6th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Kim.

vwfan
Aug 6th, 2006, 08:43 PM
I don't think either Venus or Serena has the footwork that Justine does. Now or ever.I don't think the thread was about footwork, or Justine, or comparing Justine with Venus or Serena. :rolleyes:

So, back to the subject of the thread. Venus and Kim really are ahead of the rest in terms of court coverage.

Brooks.
Aug 6th, 2006, 08:44 PM
I think too many people are referring to the old Venus :tape:

she doesn't move nearly as well on a consistent basis as she used to...and now when she gets to the balls she still makes errors :help:

Brooklyn90
Aug 6th, 2006, 08:47 PM
I don't think either Venus or Serena has the footwork that Justine does. Now or ever.
speed is not all about footwork

spencercarlos
Aug 6th, 2006, 09:04 PM
I agree.

I think the fact that Venus has won Wimbledon three times (with grass being the fastest surface on tour) and Kim has never even made it to the finals, tells you who is fastest, gets to the ball quickest, and returns it with interest.
Once again you have a problem of concepts here.
Actually Sharapova and Davenport have shown that you donīt have to be the best mover to conquer a grand slam win at Wimbledon. It pretty much rewards the big servers, big returners and agressive net play. You donīt win at Wimbledon by scrambling and defending, thatīs Roland Garros dear. :rolleyes:

Itīs a tough call, i think 2000 Venus was the fastest. Venusīs abitlity then of getting back so many incrdible shots, and not only getting them back but hitting them back deep many times turning defensive into offensive.
But throught their whole carreer i think Kimīs fitness condition has been better than Venus, i have never seen Kim losing a match because of lack of conditioning, while the opossite happens with Venus, and right now today Kim is faster than Venus, a good example is what happened at the Usopen last year, Kimīs superior fitness outlasted Venusīs who had nothing left in the third set while Kim was still like ready to go for another couple of hours of running.
Kim is faster than Venus mostly during their carreers, but at top notch Venus is faster than Kim.

spencercarlos
Aug 6th, 2006, 09:09 PM
I think too many people are referring to the old Venus :tape:

she doesn't move nearly as well on a consistent basis as she used to...and now when she gets to the balls she still makes errors :help:
Exactly, its been while since Venus has been in top condition. I agree.

supergrunt
Aug 6th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Did you watch the Wimbledon semi and final last year??? Venus is definatley the quickest if not one of the best movers on tour.

Brooks.
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Did you watch the Wimbledon semi and final last year??? Venus is definatley the quickest if not one of the best movers on tour.

right ...that was a great tournament for Venus but she hasn't played anywhere near that since ...otherwise she wouldn't have lost to hingis, vaidisova and jankovic...all matches she should have won

shap_half
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:08 PM
I don't think the thread was about footwork, or Justine, or comparing Justine with Venus or Serena. :rolleyes:

So, back to the subject of the thread. Venus and Kim really are ahead of the rest in terms of court coverage.

I didn't compare them. I quoted the peson who brought Justine up so you can keeping rolling your eyes. Please keep rolling.

shap_half
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:10 PM
I don't think the thread was about footwork, or Justine, or comparing Justine with Venus or Serena. :rolleyes:

and being a 'mover' (and i use the word 'mover' because that's what the person who i quoted said), isn't just about speed, but also footwork. your movement on the court is a combination of your speed and your footwork -- that's what movement is right? and when that's the case, justine is clearly tops.

so here's one for you: :rolleyes:

azinna
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Once again you have a problem of concepts here.
....Itīs a tough call, i think 2000 Venus was the fastest....But throught their whole carreer i think Kimīs fitness condition has been better than Venus, i have never seen Kim losing a match because of lack of conditioning, while the opossite happens with Venus.....

spencercarlos, you seem to be mixing up fitness/conditioning with court speed/coverage.

Basically: I've never seen Kim cover the court as quickly, potently and oppressively as Venus did in several matches I watched in 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003. And Wimbledon 05 was a nice reminder of just what Classic Venus Coverage used to look like. I love Kim, admire her game, follow her close enough and consider her extremely fast. But I've just never seen her match any instance of Venus in full flight.

vwfan
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Did you watch the Wimbledon semi and final last year??? Venus is definatley the quickest if not one of the best movers on tour.Exactly, Venus dominates at Wimbledon because: 1)she has one of the fastest serve on tour, 2)she plays aggressive tennis, 3)knows how to play at the net, 4)is faster than the others big hitters.

vwfan
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:34 PM
right ...that was a great tournament for Venus but she hasn't played anywhere near that since ...otherwise she wouldn't have lost to hingis, vaidisova and jankovic...all matches she should have wonI agree that we haven't seen the best of Venus in way too long, outside those two glorious weeks at Wimbledon.

But I thought the thread was, who is the fastest--not who is playing the best. And I think that Venus is the faster than Kim. I am reminded of the SF against Hingis at the U.S. Open 2000 and that was just :eek:

vwfan
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:36 PM
spencercarlos, you seem to be mixing up fitness/conditioning with court speed/coverage.
Basically: I've never seen Kim cover the court as quickly, potently and oppressively as Venus did in several matches I watched in 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003. And Wimbledon 05 was a nice reminder of just what Classic Venus Coverage used to look like. I love Kim, admire her game, follow her close enough and consider her extremely fast. But I've just never seen her match any instance of Venus in full flight.of course, he is. nothing new there.

spencercarlos
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:11 AM
of course, he is. nothing new there.
No im not, as i said at their phisical peak Venus is faster, problem for Venus is that since 2003 she has not been moving as well as she did in the past. This explains a lot on how Venus loses a clay court match to Davenport in 2005 for instance.
Plus being faster and fitness go together, because its shows how much endurance you have in a match. Perfect example is the 2005 QF between Venus and Kim, Venus started the third set way tired, despite her being a litte faster than Kim, it was Kim who was full fit still in the third set running for her money and outlasted Venus in the end. Venus was good enough there to be faster than Kim for a set and a half, then Kim took over.
As i said overall i think Kim has been consistently fit and fast throught her carreer, unlike Venus.
Serena at her best would also be toe to toe with these two.

GrandSlam05
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:47 AM
Go back and watch that Amelia Island 05 match. Most of the reason Venus lost that was because of her serve and esp. her forehand was just NOT THERE after the first set. In the second set if Lindsay kept the ball in play, she won the point, simple as that. It didn't really have anything to do with Vee's speed. Her shots just left her.
It was actually one of the funniest matches I've ever seen. Vee was playing some of her best stuff ever in the first set and I thought it would quickly be over and then she just went away. It was strange.

spencercarlos
Aug 7th, 2006, 03:34 AM
Go back and watch that Amelia Island 05 match. Most of the reason Venus lost that was because of her serve and esp. her forehand was just NOT THERE after the first set. In the second set if Lindsay kept the ball in play, she won the point, simple as that. It didn't really have anything to do with Vee's speed. Her shots just left her.
It was actually one of the funniest matches I've ever seen. Vee was playing some of her best stuff ever in the first set and I thought it would quickly be over and then she just went away. It was strange.
One of the reasons why Venus was imposing multiple wins time after time against Davenport was because she would just frustrate Lindsay with the superior movement, Lindsay would hit 4 winning shots in a point and Venus would end up hitting a winner of her own.
That superior movement is something that for Venus has not really been there like it was during 2000-2003.
I remmember i would just laught at having Venus to face Lindsay, because i knew there was no way for Lindsay to win a match against peak Venus.

trivfun
Aug 7th, 2006, 03:36 AM
Everybody remember the 2005 US Open match were Kim just ran Venus out of the building.

supergrunt
Aug 7th, 2006, 03:54 AM
Everybody remember the 2005 US Open match were Kim just ran Venus out of the building.

Not really :rolleyes: It might have looked like it becusae Vee got tired.

Paneru
Aug 7th, 2006, 03:58 AM
One of the reasons why Venus was imposing multiple wins time after time against Davenport was because she would just frustrate Lindsay with the superior movement, Lindsay would hit 4 winning shots in a point and Venus would end up hitting a winner of her own.
That superior movement is something that for Venus has not really been there like it was during 2000-2003.
I remmember i would just laught at having Venus to face Lindsay, because i knew there was no way for Lindsay to win a match against peak Venus.

I totally disagree.

Venus' movement was impecable at 05' Wimbly
and IMO and others, she moved better or just
as well as she ever has.

Furthermore, it hasn't been Venus' movement that has hampered
her success, it's been injury and her lack of consistent groundstrokes.

Last year at the US Open vs. Kim.
Venus strokes broke down in that second set
and she was winded, something I've never seen
to that degree of Venus.

Venus is definitely fitter at the present and I still think
she moves faster than Clijsters. Clijsters moves very well
and what she does is force Venus into errors by getting balls back.
Venus' groundstrokes and not at all as consistent as Kim's and it
hurt her.

Davenselesport
Aug 7th, 2006, 04:00 AM
Dementieva

Paneru
Aug 7th, 2006, 04:01 AM
Not really :rolleyes: It might have looked like it becusae Vee got tired.

Exactly!

I was in shock watching Venus in that
match because being as fit as she has been
during her career I had never seen her so winded.

It's all a matter of opinion and IMO
Venus is faster. I think Kim may just seem faster
to some because as I said, she can force Venus into
errors getting those balls back that Venus can do to
her as much because Venus' strokes haven't had that
steady consistency for a long stretch of time.

GrandSlam05
Aug 7th, 2006, 04:01 AM
Certainly not esp. b/c Dav was not, well, as fit as she could've been.
I agree with you that Vee is not as fast as she used to be, but that Amelia Island match was decided more by Vee's shot mechanics, not her legs.

Stamp Paid
Aug 7th, 2006, 04:21 AM
Faster around a tennis court at the moment - Kim now, probably.
Faster runner, period and at their peaks - Venus