PDA

View Full Version : Who has exceeded your expectations so far in 2006?

pierce0415
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:24 AM
If we are going to have a thread to bash players that have so far dissapointed in 2006, lets also have one to say which players have exceeded our outlook for them at the beginning of 2006. I'll list some:

Mauresmo: no way in hell did I think she would win 2 of the first 3 GS

Petrova: I have really low expectations for Nadia so even her injury plagued season has exceeded my original expectations

Schnyder: I thought she woulda been out of the top 10 by now but she just keeps playing and playing and hanging in

Vaidisova: As much as I hate to admit it, I did not think she would be Top 10 or in the SF of a slam in 2006

Li: QF of a slam and knocking on the door of the Top 20

PatrickRyan
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:29 AM
momo
martina

AllezCumonJiayou
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:29 AM
definitely mauresmo

hablo
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:31 AM
Mauresmo has exceeded mine, for sure.
martina's return has been thunderous : she has done better than I thought she would! :yeah:
Vaidisova : I thought it would be Ivanovic that would have made top 10 this year instead :speakles:
Petrova : winning 4 titles, beating mauresmo and jhh to get two of them :bowdown:
canuck girls beating the argentinian girls in fedcup :worship:

hurricanejeanne
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:31 AM
Amelie...I knew she had a slam in her, but damn winning two in one year is amazing for someone who has been critized over and over again as being a head case.

UDACHi
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:33 AM
mauresmo, petrova, kuznetsova, safina, jankovic after her 10 match losing streak and struggles in late 2005.

RJWCapriati
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:33 AM
Mauresmo, Kuznetsova, Petrova

Ferosh
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:34 AM
Mauresmo: 2 slams, that's all I need to say.
Petrova: I was stunned. 4 titles, 2 of them being tier 1
Schnyder: I think she just keeps getting better with time.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:35 AM
mauresmo-2/3 slams i would not have bet a penny on it happening but good on her

li-slam QF lookin like a possible top 20 year end ranking, i knew she was capable but i didnt think she'd do it this year

pennetta-OK so she hasnt won a title and hasnt beat any of the top players but top 20 and although she has her poor tournys she is becoming more consistent + i wouldnt have bet on her winning more points than sharapova in their match at wimby

peer-3 titles out of 3 finals, 4th round at RG should have got to the QF-impressive

myskina-she looks to be somewhere near her best which is great, i didnt expect it so soon

molik-hello, she's playing!

Mightymirza
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:38 AM
momo,Marti,Misa..

anlavalle
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:02 AM
Amelie, Nadia, Severine Bremond as a quali making the qf of wimbledon beating Patty, Dulko and Sugiyama in the process, good stuff

oakkao
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:03 AM
Mauresmo. :hug:

GrandSlam05
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:12 AM
The one that comes to mind more than anyone is Mauresmo. I fully expected Justine to win both Australia and Wimbledon. It's been a pretty big surprise.

Dani12
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:21 AM
Li, Petrova, Mauresmo

Davenselesport
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:31 AM
like most others... Mauresmo/Petrova/Schnyder

partbrit
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:39 AM
I must be the only one for whom Amelie did not exceed my expectations. I wasn't surprised when she won the AO and I said in the spring that she would win Wimbledon; it was her time, and hers to lose. Nor did Patty exceed my expectations; as a matter of fact, I thought she would have done better by this time in 2006, and I am actually a bit disappointed in her.

A player who has exceeded my expectations is Li Na.

cartmancop
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:41 AM
Mauresmo obviously... Whether u believed she could win one or not, none of us expected her to be holding a YEC & 2 slams...

Safina. particularly earlier in the year she was doing well....now not so much.

Vaidisova- knew she had the game, but it was a matter of putting it together, which she's starting to do.

Hingis-didn't expect her to be as big of a factor this early in her comeback.

Petrova 1st half of season... Winning Titles! I was one of many who thought she didn't have the mentality to play well when it matter such as finals but she has done very well.

Vincey!
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:47 AM
Hingis,Li and maybe Vaidisova

Andy.
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:48 AM
Vaidisova, Hingis & Mauresmo

fufuqifuqishahah
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:53 AM
momo
martina

:D
agreed

for me momo, martina, petrova, li (didn't expect her ranking to go up as much as it has.... where is she by the way, and all the other chinese players besides peng shuai????)

i am slightly surprised by vaidisova (she had strong showings at GS last year and seemed like the type of player that could challenge top players), zvonareva (making a comeback now), perry, craybas (generally maintaining her ranking), pennetta, peer, krajicek, srebotnik (top 20), vakulenko (ranked 187th at the end of last year, now 61st in the singles race), ruano pascual (i thought she was slowl going downhill in singles but is now 63rd in singles race), meilien tu (in the top 100 again), and king (did really well at the beginning of this year... has seemed to have tailored off a bit)

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:54 AM
Petrova by faaaaar .

She was number 3 of the world and won 4 titles (2 TIER I) . A great acomplishment

Mightymirza
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:55 AM
Petrova by faaaaar .

4 titles and was number 3 of the world . A great acomplishment
to add highest ranked russian!! I am sure all of them value it a lot!!

delicatecutter
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:59 AM
Ana. I thought she would have a much harder time following up her break out year. The fact that she is only 4 spots below her career high is just amazing to me!!

Serena. I thought she would return in less than stellar shape in Cincy. But she looks better than she has in years.

Myskina. Nice turn around from a year ago, no? Very solid play and almost won Eastborne.

LenaD for winning Tokyo.

Shonami Slam
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:04 AM
more than anything - italian tennis.
i was awaiting a drop-out of the fed-cup world group, i was expecting schiavone to remain the sole top50 italian, i was expecting mostly lower tier clay titles.
Santangelo, Oprandi, Vinci, Garbin and mostly - Schiavone are all having great years on tour, showing us once more that italian tennis has the most contradictions, variety and styles, and that the italian tennis federaion can be very proud of it'sgirls
best ever country without top10 player for sure, and stil the best place to go to if you want to learn how all backhands are to be played - slices, DTL, dropshots lobs, spins and flats, single handed - or doubled.
great to see farina elia's retirement didn't start the currial of this great nations representation in the later rounds of tournies.

Derek.
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:07 AM
Nastya Pavlyuchenkova :worship:
Nicole :bigclap:
Na :D
Martina :eek:
Nadia :dance:
Dinara :cool:

Sweep
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Mauresmo, she's been fantastic this year.

Big up to Petrova who's really come good, Na Li and of course, Hingis on her return.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Petrova at clay events without RG of course

-sugi-
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Petrova, Schnyder, Li, Bremond, Santangelo, Oprandi, Takao

SAEKeithSerena
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:30 PM
honestly...

1)WTA-mauresmo. i have always enjoyed her game but as a fan i really didn't think she could ever win a slam. australia yes, was a bad situation for her, but with her winning wimbledon, i think we'll see a few more slams to her name. and that number one ranking? she's had it for most of the year...

2)ATP-james blake. and God he's so hot.

IceHock
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Hingis,Mauresmo,Petrova have all done better than I thought they would.

Milito22
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:35 PM
ESBETA! :smoke:

squig2k
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Mauresmo - amazing
Petrova - done well
Nicole - Consistent now
Vera - Comeback queen!

Shvedbarilescu
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:57 PM
I love this thread it. Unusual to see a thread in WTAworld for full of positivity and praise. It really has reminded me how many upbeat stories there have been in the WTA this year. The Italians have done well. And yes Mauresmo and Petrova have conquered some major demons. And Peer, Hingis, Bremond, Srebotnik, Sugiyama and Li deserve their mentions too. Good also to see Zvonereva and Jankovic snapping out of bad slumps and playing well again.

And yes Vaidisova has been impressive too. I can't say I'm delighted about that one but there you go.

alextim
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:02 PM
amélie ... great season ... 2slams and a name FOR EVER

Just Do It
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Martina :)

Alec
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Mauresmo
Na

champion88
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Mauresmo
Petrova
Vaidisova
Li
Hingis

muniu
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:21 PM
NIkki :bounce:
Nadia :bounce:
Nastya M :bounce: Aga Radwanska :P and Kata :D

¤CharlDa¤
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:29 PM
I'll try to be different and go a lil further down in the ranks!

Jamea Jackson: She was starting to be solid, but her results against the top players are great this year, someone to watch for!
Emma Laine: Her tricky game and crafty shots really helped her to firmly get in the top 100!
Peer: Her first half was incredible. Hopefully she can keep it up!
Perry: Being top 50 is great for her. She has a lot of variety, great talent, and it's great to see her use it that early!
Oprandi: She had some great challengers last year, but her great performances on clay really made her get up to 65. Totally unexpected for me.
Bardina: One of the girls with the most wins on tour, managed to do well in challengers and more recently in WTA.
Tetreault: The yound canadian struggled in juniors until last fall, but then she changed her mindset and coaching situation. She is already in the top 275, with 3 25k finals and very very solid wins (Esperon two times, Cargill, Kirkland, Spears, etc). Ao qualies, here they come!

Ellery
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Amelie, Nadia, Na, Romina, Shahar.

Zauber
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Mauresmo
yes
winner of two two two of three
grand slam tournaments.

KBdoubleu
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:58 PM
1-Mauresmo
2-Petrova
3-Kuznetsova
4-Hingis
5-Safina
6-Zvonareve (these last couple of weeks)
7-Jackson
8-Peer

Tennisaddict
Aug 6th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Mauresmo easily, I thought she never would win a slam in her career and she has won two out of the three played this year.

Hingis has also exceeded my expectations, I thought she would be top 50 by the end of the year with no titles won, and that she would really start to perform well in 2007.

markhingis
Aug 6th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Martina,Amelie,Nadia & other Russians dominatin Tier I's

LegionArgentina
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Martina return
Amelie wining two Grand Slam (may be 3) in the same year
Patty very solid

exodus'05
Aug 6th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Zvonareva, Jackson, mauresmo and nadia Petrova, even though she still has to prove that it's not a hot streak.