PDA

View Full Version : Sony pulls "PSP White is coming" ad

Zippy
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:22 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/12/sony-pulls-psp-white-is-coming-ads-in-netherlands/
I don't find the billboard ad offensive, but I can see how some other's may of had a different reaction to it. I take it as this though: The black PSP came out first, but now Sony is coming out with the new white colored PSP. So to boost its sales, they try to advertise that it's better than the older black one, hence the picture of the white character appearing dominant over the black character. It's just marketing a newer product to me. But I guess it is a good thing this advertising never made it to the States. My brotha's Al Sharpton and Jesse James would be having fits right now ;)

Knizzle
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:29 AM
you late

Zippy
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:43 AM
you late
I'm sorry, I don't live on these boards like some other members do. Therefore occasionally, I don't keep up.

Knizzle
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:47 AM
I'm sorry, I don't live on these boards like some other members do. Therefore occasionally, I don't keep up.

Has nothing to do with this board. I didn't hear about that on this board, it's old news period.

Brooklyn90
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:52 AM
yeah it's been posted before

SvetaPleaseWin.
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:42 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/12/sony-pulls-psp-white-is-coming-ads-in-netherlands/
I don't find the billboard ad offensive, but I can see how some other's may of had a different reaction to it. I take it as this though: The black PSP came out first, but now Sony is coming out with the new white colored PSP. So to boost its sales, they try to advertise that it's better than the older black one, hence the picture of the white character appearing dominant over the black character. It's just marketing a newer product to me. But I guess it is a good thing this advertising never made it to the States. My brotha's Al Sharpton and Jesse James would be having fits right now ;)

who thought of that ad campaign :confused: surely someone must have thought "wait a minute, this could be taken as racist" does anyone have a brain at sony?

Black Mamba.
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:52 AM
who thought of that ad campaign :confused: surely someone must have thought "wait a minute, this could be taken as racist" does anyone have a brain at sony?

They knew it would cause problems they just wanted to creat a buzz. Just like that company that sold Nogger Black Ice Cream.

SelesFan70
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:53 AM
you late

Did you type that on purpose?

Knizzle
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:59 AM

yes

fufuqifuqishahah
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:17 AM
you late

she said it w/ some black girl attitude.

ceiling_fan
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:53 AM
surely Sony could have come up with a better ad campaign... i mean why even take the risk?

Crazy Canuck
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:10 AM
lol. That's so wrong.

Perfection
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:39 AM
:haha: I want a mini-poster of that in my dungeon.

Grohl
Aug 6th, 2006, 08:10 AM
are we really gonna go there again?

Wigglytuff
Aug 6th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Has nothing to do with this board. I didn't hear about that on this board, it's old news period.
seriously.

RVD
Aug 6th, 2006, 08:57 AM
I'm actually more shocked at the insensitivity of the posters in this link than I am with teh ad. http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/12/sony-pulls-psp-white-is-coming-ads-in-netherlands/
Though, I must say that the ad is in very bad taste regardless of what country you're from. These people make it sound as if racism exists only in the U.S.. :rolleyes:
Also, itís no surprise that Sony (a Japanese company) would be insensitive to the Ďblack plightí. Iím a diehard anime fan and their stuff is as racist as it gets. :shrug:
Still, this isnít something Iíd lose sleep over, or waste my time debating.
It is what it is.
If some donít get it, itís because they donít share the hateful history, AND they donít care enough...to care.
Fact is, I feel the same way about Disney. :tape:

Veritas
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:58 AM
I'm actually more shocked at the insensitivity of the posters in this link than I am with teh ad. http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/12/sony-pulls-psp-white-is-coming-ads-in-netherlands/
Though, I must say that the ad is in very bad taste regardless of what country you're from. These people make it sound as if racism exists only in the U.S.. :rolleyes:
Also, itís no surprise that Sony (a Japanese company) would be insensitive to the Ďblack plightí. Iím a diehard anime fan and their stuff is as racist as it gets. :shrug:
Still, this isnít something Iíd lose sleep over, or waste my time debating.
It is what it is.
If some donít get it, itís because they donít share the hateful history, AND they donít care enough...to care.
Fact is, I feel the same way about Disney. :tape:

I don't see how Sony's "Japanese-ness" has anything to do with them being racist or not, since (1) Sony is a multi-national company), (2) the ad surfaced in the Netherlands and (3) the ad was formulated by a non-Sony company.

As for the anime stuff, I've had this debate with others before - Japan isn't America, so it's unreasonable to observe their socio-cultural understanding by looking at it solely from an American viewpoint. Calling them "racist" means you expect the Japanese to have a demography that's the same as America's. Well, only 1% of Japan's population is non-Japanese, so that's one similarity out the door. Plus, Japan never is or was a multi-cultural society - they don't have a history of ethnic minority and civil rights struggles that America's experienced. How can you expect them to understand the "black plight" when there's hardly any blacks living there in the first place? The stereotypes in some animes are what I'd call ignorant, not necessarily racist, because that'll imply the creators hate all black people and want them dead when I doubt that's the case.

Beefy
Aug 6th, 2006, 12:00 PM
are we really gonna go there again?

Fuckin' hope not :p