PDA

View Full Version : What's Wrong With Hingis' Game?

Marcell
Aug 5th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Hingis asks reporters: What's wrong with my game?
Martina falls again to Clijsters; wonders if she can make Top 5
By Matthew Cronin, ********************
FROM THE ACURA CLASIC IN SAN DIEGO – Martina Hingis isn't sure she's ever going to be a Top-5 player again and her lack of self-belief was uniquely apparent in her 7-5, 6-2 loss to Kim Clijsters in the Acura Classic quarters.

Can someone who suscribe please post entire article.

*JR*
Aug 5th, 2006, 11:13 PM
FROM THE ACURA CLASIC IN SAN DIEGO - Martina Hingis isn't sure she's ever going to be a Top-5 player again and her lack of self-belief was uniquely apparent in her 7-5, 6-2 loss to Kim Clijsters in the Acura Classic quarters.

Hingis is so unsure about whether she can push herself up to an elite level that after her press conference ended, she asked the writers in attendance to break down her game.

It was an interesting bull session, where her odd decision to try to add an inside forehand was discussed, as was her devaluation of her spectacular backhand, her indecision as to how often to come to net, her improving first serve and still spotty second serve.

Hingis was very open-minded in discussing her technical game, because mentally, she can't figure out whether she's actually just a few months away from playing at an elite level again, or that she may never be able to replace the three years she lost to injury and burnout.

She's unsure whether she wants to keep grinding hard because she's already put in a tremendous amount of work and the fruits of her labor haven't been as sweet as she'd like. She's almost sure to crack the Top 10 before the US Open, but other than her two good wins over Venus Williams and Maria Sharapova, all she counts is losses to the other notables.

She's not really close to beating Clijsters yet, doesn't have as many tools as Justine Henin-Hardenne does, isn't sure she can go very deep in the third set with Amelie Mauresmo and has dropped her last two matches to the relentless Sharapova.

"Sometimes its hard when you see one side of the life and then you see the other side," Hingis said. "You should stay on the line and there are many ways that can distract you. You have to keep your focus and work hard, have discipline to beat the Top 5, not just the five to 1000."

The 25-year-old Swiss can get back there, but she'll have to be much more patient with herself, make sure she gets to the gym and practices a ton. Her backhand is still one of the sweetest shots in tennis, but her forehand is sporadic, her serve is up-and -down (she actually hit a 112-mph service winner but often spinned in second serves in the 70s) and when she's not hitting great returns, she finds herself too often behind the eight ball.

Against someone like Clijsters, who hits so deep, is so fast and dares you to play long points with her, Hingis presses. The Swiss tried everything she could, but there were times that she chucked up ridiculous drop shots (Clijsters was proud how she actually hit more drop shots winners than Hingis did), or tried down the line blasts when she was completely off balance.

She played very well to come back from a 2-4 deficit in the first set to take a 5-4 lead, but Clijsters held at love serving brilliantly, and then Hingis fizzled, not believing that she could string together another strong run.

"Sometimes it's hard when the points go like that and she holds so easily," Hingis said "Mentally she puts so much pressure on you. She doesn't really give you a free point. She doesn't really have a weakness. At the beginning, she hit every line. I used to do that"

Actually, Clijsters does have weaknesses, but they are hard to poke at on hard courts and Hingis went back on her vow the night before that she would commit to a long grind.

Hingis: 'I'm lacking stamina'
"I'm lacking stamina," she said. "It's the focus. I wish I could play her every day so I could used to her intensity. I'm pushing the top players, but you have to play matches like today a lot. I started doubting myself. I'm not happy with just reaching the quarterfinals."

Hingis' mother and coach, Melanie Molitor, is with her the rest of the North American swing and hopefully will keep her daughter's spirits up. If Hingis commits to legging out more points, stop trying to muscle her forehand too much and stay more with the creative base that once made her the world’s most admired thinking player, she'll be much better off.

What she occasionally forgets is that she won her five Slam titles with defense, guile and a gorgeous backhand. Gradual improvements on her serve and forehand are necessary and she has to come in a little more (she almost never misses a negotiable volley), but it's her commitment to excellence over the long haul that will get her there.

If she loses spirit now, she has no chance at recapturing her former glory.

"When you see a goal in front, you can do it," she said. "After Wimbledon (where she was stunned by Ai Sugiyama) I was disappointed. I didn't want to have those things happen again. After a loss, I can go back to my foundation and build up again. My mom told me not to give up after I've been playing better much better. Don't back off."

Clijsters will face Nicole Vaidisova, who advanced with a 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 win over Russian Anna Chakvetadze. That's will be a rough match for Clijsters, who beat the Czech last week, but whose body is aching.

Speaking of sore legs, second-seed Sharapova wasted defending champion Mary Pierce (who was playing in thigh wraps) 6-2, 6-3. The Russian will meet Patty Schnyder, who beat Elena Dementieva 6-4, 6-3.

Marcell
Aug 5th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Thanks.

hurricanejeanne
Aug 5th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Thanks for posting.
It's interesting that she would ask third party journalists about her game. All the points are right though.

hablo
Aug 5th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Hingis is so unsure about whether she can push herself up to an elite level that after her press conference ended, she asked the writers in attendance to break down her game.

It was an interesting bull session, where her odd decision to try to add an inside forehand was discussed, as was her devaluation of her spectacular backhand, her indecision as to how often to come to net, her improving first serve and still spotty second serve.

Hingis was very open-minded in discussing her technical game, because mentally, she can't figure out whether she's actually just a few months away from playing at an elite level again, or that she may never be able to replace the three years she lost to injury and burnout.

very insightful article. thanks for posting :yeah:
but why the hell ask the press to break down her game ? :speakles:
Is there no one else she can talk to about this ? what about a coach ? :tape:

franny
Aug 5th, 2006, 11:36 PM
How interesting. I feel bad for Martina. But this is a part of life and maturity. She's gotta learn to take the losses, and to keep working hard. Add things to your game. She's not as physically gifted as other players, which means that if she wants to be at the top, top 5, she's got to be more than willing to dedicate twice as much effort as they do. And they already put A LOT of effort into their games.

SelesFan70
Aug 5th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Martina, just get a better 2nd serve. :D

perseus2006
Aug 5th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Hingis has verbally insulted most of the players who could give her helpful advice!

Doubles with Anna would still be good, keep her off the street and bring in some cash.

davidmario
Aug 6th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Her groundies as well as her serve lack pace. That's all and I doubt she will ever be able to improve on that.

kabuki
Aug 6th, 2006, 12:27 AM
She needs to get fitter, stronger, and faster. Maybe she should hire Etcheberry. :unsure:

Martian Stacey
Aug 6th, 2006, 12:49 AM
This really worries me :sad:

spencercarlos
Aug 6th, 2006, 12:58 AM
No you should not, i think Martina knows what her weakneses are, i think she is on the right track, she played a good match, she just ran out of gas.
Kim swept the fied last week, and she is playing on her favorite surface, i donīt think there is nothing to be worried about. Hingis needs to get used to playing again power hitters like Kim, some people overlook that Kim is among the best three players in the world this year.
About asking the reporters she is just being nice with them, remmember in Australia some people asked about how she was feeling in her comeback, and i remmeber she relied back with something like "how am i doing guys? you tell me".

*JR*
Aug 6th, 2006, 01:01 AM
She needs to get fitter, stronger, and faster. Maybe she should hire Etcheberry. :unsure:
She did for awhile I think, but I guess she couldn't take the Marine boot camp intensity of his workouts.

Rollo
Aug 6th, 2006, 01:15 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to *JR* again.

Thanks for posting this JR-and for your great post about Hiroshima in non-tennis too!

If Martina could only ramp up her serve I think she could still be winning majors. Hope she sticks with it-good things could happen at the Aussie where the courts suit her:)

CC
Aug 6th, 2006, 01:19 AM
She needs:

1. Better second serve
2. Stronger legs and speed (according to Renee Stubbs)
3. Finishing shots - end the points quicker on her terms.

Wannabeknowitall
Aug 6th, 2006, 01:38 AM
I love Hingis but she should have done this before she decided to come on tour.
Her game is a bad matchup for Kim, Justine, and Mauresmo.
There are a couple of things she could do against them that will help her chances.

She needs to come in on their slices. Once they use the defensive slice, she needs to come in.
Hingis' spin doesn't work against those three. She's gotta do something more.
She needs to work all their backhands. Mix up the spins and the slices, and even go flat.
If she has to come in behind a weak inside out forehand, then do it.
When it comes to Kim, she'll have to likely slice it back since she's probably 3-4 feet off the baseline.
Hingis is not going to get better unless she tries some things. The stuff that she did in 2002 will just get her to where she is now, hovering right around the top 10.

spencercarlos
Aug 6th, 2006, 01:46 AM
I love Hingis but she should have done this before she decided to come on tour.
Her game is a bad matchup for Kim, Justine, and Mauresmo.
There are a couple of things she could do against them that will help her chances.

She needs to come in on their slices. Once they use the defensive slice, she needs to come in.
Hingis' spin doesn't work against those three. She's gotta do something more.
She needs to work all their backhands. Mix up the spins and the slices, and even go flat.
If she has to come in behind a weak inside out forehand, then do it.
When it comes to Kim, she'll have to likely slice it back since she's probably 3-4 feet off the baseline.
Hingis is not going to get better unless she tries some things. The stuff that she did in 2002 will just get her to where she is now, hovering right around the top 10.
Martina right now is playing not only better phisically than in 2002 second part of the year, but she is also into tennis mentally, she showed much more power on her first serve (from what i saw on the Penetta match), that is an improvement that is something that will help her to win extra free points. She trying something different out there, she just needs to get that serve better.
Still Kim is a tough oponnent, she has reached at least the semifinals on her last 4 grand slams, she is consistent, and she is only losing pretty much (most of the time) to Maursmo and Henin this year, so there you see what it takes to beat her these days.

CaptnMatt
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:20 AM
Yeh, I know that Hingis is very hard on herself.....and I think people are very critical also...

Because Hingis was No.1 for 4 years, there will always be SO MUCH EXPECTATION. And there should be....However, you have to look at some of the other players that are now at the top...

Clijsters, Henin and Mauresmo (particularly Mauresmo) have worked SOOOO HARD to get there.....Mauresmo suffered loss after loss after loss to Clijsters (7 in a row in fact) before FINALLY beating her at the Championships last year (when Clijsters was playing quite poorly for her 2005 standard).

I remember in Miami last year....Clijsters beat Mauresmo 61 60......and thats not the only time she's beaten Mauresmo by that kind of score (the time before that Clijsters won 62 60). My point is not to bag Mauresmo, but to say that Hingis is going to have to be patient (like Mauresmo)....she's used to everything just coming at once.....In my opinion, she probably won't beat Clijsters anytime soon....perhaps late this year or maybe next year if she plays her enough times.....heck, even Davenport suffered about 6 straight losses to Clijsters before finally beating her.....Clijsters is somebody you have to learn to play (unless you're henin hardeene - you just know) lol.....

I think also, Hingis's game is better suited to playing Henin or Mauresmo.....whilst they are powerful, they dont have the same flat, hard groundstrokes that Clijsters does (and I think her game really will continue to give Hingis problems for a long time to come). Last time she played Mauresmo....Hingis had a 3-0 lead in the final set.....I think she'd do much better against Mauresmo.....It'd also be good to see Hingis play Henin Hardeene again.....just to know how there games match up....

I watched the Hingis/Pennetta match...and honestly, Hingis isn't far away....she's definitely worthy of being in the top 6 or 7 right now.....should be there come Madrid at the end of the year.....seeing as she's only been back for about 7 months.....she hasnt done too badly from being UNRANKED at the beginning of the year....

I think we need to hold off the panic button personally.

Hingie
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:31 AM
Yeh, I know that Hingis is very hard on herself.....and I think people are very critical also...

Because Hingis was No.1 for 4 years, there will always be SO MUCH EXPECTATION. And there should be....However, you have to look at some of the other players that are now at the top...

Clijsters, Henin and Mauresmo (particularly Mauresmo) have worked SOOOO HARD to get there.....Mauresmo suffered loss after loss after loss to Clijsters (7 in a row in fact) before FINALLY beating her at the Championships last year (when Clijsters was playing quite poorly for her 2005 standard).

I remember in Miami last year....Clijsters beat Mauresmo 61 60......and thats not the only time she's beaten Mauresmo by that kind of score (the time before that Clijsters won 62 60). My point is not to bag Mauresmo, but to say that Hingis is going to have to be patient (like Mauresmo)....she's used to everything just coming at once.....In my opinion, she probably won't beat Clijsters anytime soon....perhaps late this year or maybe next year if she plays her enough times.....heck, even Davenport suffered about 6 straight losses to Clijsters before finally beating her.....Clijsters is somebody you have to learn to play (unless you're henin hardeene - you just know) lol.....

I think also, Hingis's game is better suited to playing Henin or Mauresmo.....whilst they are powerful, they dont have the same flat, hard groundstrokes that Clijsters does (and I think her game really will continue to give Hingis problems for a long time to come). Last time she played Mauresmo....Hingis had a 3-0 lead in the final set.....I think she'd do much better against Mauresmo.....It'd also be good to see Hingis play Henin Hardeene again.....just to know how there games match up....

I watched the Hingis/Pennetta match...and honestly, Hingis isn't far away....she's definitely worthy of being in the top 6 or 7 right now.....should be there come Madrid at the end of the year.....seeing as she's only been back for about 7 months.....she hasnt done too badly from being UNRANKED at the beginning of the year....

I completely disagree. If Marti doesn't find a way to beat the top players soon, she will doubt herself and if she is low on confidence she may as well have stayed a commentator because Marti's game without confidence is counter-punching and boring.

Harsh but true.

spencercarlos
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:42 AM

Very good post i agree the entire. Martina needs time to get it together.
Kim has the style to beat Martina, she is fast, has power, and defends very well, plus she is more consistent than most power hitters of today (except when Kim plays Henin :p).
I hope she plays another oponnent that is not Kim in Montreal, i would like to see her vs Mauresmo or Henin now, i just feel that she has better chances particularly against Mauresmo or Henin than Kim.
Kim is more explosive out there, with her movement and shots she can change up a defensive rally and turn it into a winner.

CaptnMatt
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:46 AM
I completely disagree. If Marti doesn't find a way to beat the top players soon, she will doubt herself and if she is low on confidence she may as well have stayed a commentator because Marti's game without confidence is counter-punching and boring.

Harsh but true.

ok fair enough....but how can u ''completely disagree'' with me when players like Mauresmo and Davenport (two of the greats) struggled so much against Clijsters also....

My point is that Hingis is going to have to NOT BE DISHEARTENED SO QUICKLY. She'll have to keep persisting....because even the best players (Mauresmo and Davenport) took extended periods to work out ways of beating Clijsters (and they still struggle with it).

BTW, Clijsters is currently really really really smashing Vaidisova (dunno if I'm allowed to say that in here)....but in this form, Clijsters will beat everyone on hardcourts.....

fufuqifuqishahah
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:29 AM
She needs:

1. Better second serve
2. Stronger legs and speed (according to Renee Stubbs)
3. Finishing shots - end the points quicker on her terms.
4. the most important things she lack are WILLPOWER and BELIEF -- she can come back from small deficits or 1 set deficits and still win, but she isn't known for a lot of major comebacks. For a top player, she gets wayyy too discouraged, especially when she loses a few games in a row to a significantly lower ranked player. It's evident she can beat players who don't have too much strategy too their game or players she has played 5 billion times in the past (sharapova and venus), but she needs to have the belief that she can beat a lot of top players primarily on her biggest strength, point strategy. The problem with her biggest asset is that it requires so much mental energy that when she becomes focused on getting discouraged and potentially losing the match, her biggest asset loses its power. If she can improve her other weaknesses a bit, and internally naturalize willpower and belief into her brain, than she will win a lot more matches against the top 5 and not lose matches without really challenging players (like against Dementieva in tokyo)

louisa2k2
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:37 AM

Me too i feel that it is her lack of self beleif that is what is letting her down more than anything.

vogus
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:23 AM
my hunch from watching her play so far this year, is that Hingis will not be Top 5 or a GS winner again unless she comes back physically stronger in '07. It'll be interesting to see if she keeps playing if she realizes those goals are out of her reach.

Marcus Jordan
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:34 AM
I would say hire Gil Reyes to dramatically improve her physicality but I remember him saying he won't ever train anyone apart from Andre. Maybe hire Michael Jordan's legendary trainer - Tim Grover. Apparently his techniques focus on adding muscle as close to the joints as possible.

skanky~skanketta
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:52 AM
instead of asking the reporters she should have come in here. ;)

Crazy Canuck
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:02 AM
I would say hire Gil Reyes to dramatically improve her physicality but I remember him saying he won't ever train anyone apart from Andre. Maybe hire Michael Jordan's legendary trainer - Tim Grover. Apparently his techniques focus on adding muscle as close to the joints as possible.
He didn't say he'd *never* train anybody but Andre. There were discussions with he and Coria once upon a time, in fact. :confused:

Marcus Jordan
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Well I remember Gil saying it this year so its a fact. And there is no word of him accepting Coria so that may be just Coria asking but not receiving.

Williams-forever
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:31 AM
It seems like when Martina can't beat everyone, she loses her interest in tennis :help: :o

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Can someone who suscribe please post entire article.

you dont need to subscribe to read TR.net :devil:
there's a way around it, but we dont want Cronin to find out :secret:

Hingie
Aug 6th, 2006, 11:24 AM
ok fair enough....but how can u ''completely disagree'' with me when players like Mauresmo and Davenport (two of the greats) struggled so much against Clijsters also....

My point is that Hingis is going to have to NOT BE DISHEARTENED SO QUICKLY. She'll have to keep persisting....because even the best players (Mauresmo and Davenport) took extended periods to work out ways of beating Clijsters (and they still struggle with it).

BTW, Clijsters is currently really really really smashing Vaidisova (dunno if I'm allowed to say that in here)....but in this form, Clijsters will beat everyone on hardcourts.....

I just think that if Marti does not see results soon, i don't think she'll stay on Tour. You say we shouldn't hit the panic button, but i actually think that even she feels she would enjoying more success at this point. Her (good) tennis is too tied up in her confidence level to be able to withstand more of these losses before the whole thing just starts falling apart.

jochem
Aug 6th, 2006, 12:58 PM
"I wish I could play her every day so I could used to her intensity." :haha:

Volcana
Aug 6th, 2006, 01:15 PM
How interesting. I feel bad for Martina.I don't. There's probably not another player on tour who's secure enough to invite the media to critique their game like that. If anything, I envy her.

1star
Aug 6th, 2006, 01:47 PM
I'm worried. I guess her previous success before her comeback has spoiled her in some way :(
Therefore she is not that mentally tough in adverse situations on court and expected too much of herself.

She actually has done quite well since comeback and she will soon be in the top 10 before US Open.

I want to see her play more aggressively and be confident about herself so as to exert more pressure on the opponents. She still needs to improve her second serve and be more physically stronger. ;)

K-Dog
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Imo, she needs to use her variety more. She wasn't changing the height of her shots well enough. She needs more aggresive topspin on her shots and she needs to use every shot she has in her repitoire. Against Kim, she was trying to out-slug her. That was what took her from the top of the game when she tried to outhit Jennifer, Lindsay, Venus, Serena, and Monica. She needs to work on adding some more weight to her shots (with topspin imo) and needs to use her moonballs, slices, dropshots, lobs, and short angles more effectively. She is trying to outhit players for some reason now and that isn't her game. As she said, she needs to get fitter and stronger. Her second serve must be better. I still think that with a weak second serve, she can still compete if she can find a way to safely control points and got on top of the big girls in rallies. That isn't going to be with pace, but with guile and craftiness. Use the whole court and keep your opponent off balance by changing the spins and the angles. Move the ball around better and more often. Find a way to creatively get into net. She has the variety to do this, but she often times doesn't use it.

Brashkoala
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:44 PM
hingis should not be worried about getting to the top ten or top five because its only a matter of time. she still has about four months of tennis to play and opportunity to fill in those big zeros shes getting in her ranking from not playing last year. she has always excelled on indoors. i expect hingis to finish the year at 5-7.

PLP
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:11 PM
I was just watching the Rome final replay and there was nothing wrong with the Hingis game there! :)
I wonder if she watches her matches? I think some of this might have been taken out of context BTW...and I really don't think Martina is ready to quit again, not after all the work she has done and the success she has experienced already...I have a feeling that she will surprise a lot of people in NY...GO HINGIS!! :bounce:

goldenlox
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:37 PM
It's all about power.
I know a guy who plays amateur tournaments.
He has great form and footwork.
When he plays high ranked men, they just have too much pace,
they force short balls.

trivfun
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:40 PM
She doesn't have a placement like a Ken Rosewall does or the patience.

Libertango
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:42 PM
A VERY interesting read. Very brave of Martina to put herself out there like this, so openly. She is clearly desperate to improve and get back to the top, I admire her determiantion adn guts.

No.1Hingis
Aug 7th, 2006, 03:13 PM
I like she did this... the best critics are spectators.. frustration? yes, she wanna to do more? yes... her achivements has overpass her? yes... she was 3 years out of it..

She needs to figure out that little thing that maintain her a side all players.. a lot UPS and DOWNS.. A LOT... she gonna fix it.. whatever it is.. ADAPTATION!! next week she gonna do it better.. I know that so.. WORK just work and sure, she needs to play her game as she did first months she was back, of course improve just improve NOT CHANGE...

Come on Marty, head up!! .. is nothing to be shamed about.. Your fans always gonna be there.. no matter what.. and keep looking it.. is good to see you are ungry to do your best as we wanna to see you keep playing the tour.. ;)

goldenlox
Aug 7th, 2006, 04:09 PM
She keeps playing Kim. It's hard to beat her without hitting through her.
But Martina can beat a lot of the top 10, most of them

vejh
Aug 7th, 2006, 05:21 PM
She needs to stop pressing so much, stop panicking, and stop trying to play 'big babe' tennis!

densuprun
Aug 7th, 2006, 05:39 PM
She can get into top 5, simply because the current #5 is nowhere near the level of the top 4. If Hingis plays a lot she will occasionally get lucky and won't face a top 4 player in QF. Eventually she'll be able to climb to the 5th spot.

After that her draws will get better than they are right now (she will usually be seeded in top 4 for most events outside slams). Then it is just a numbers game. She won't ever be #1 but if she plays all the grand slams until she is 30, giving her 100%, she may get lucky and win a slam. However, if she is that easily discouraged (just a few top 5 wins 7 months into the comeback, poor me :bigcry: ) than she is not gonna win any slams. She won't ever have a strong enough game to be confident she can win a slam without any luck. And to catch some luck she should be ready for the long haul. If she's not she may just as well drop her comeback now.

perseus2006
Aug 7th, 2006, 06:20 PM
"What's wrong with Hingis's game?", The thread author puts up Hingis's rhetorical question. Here is a possible answer along with the supporting thoughts:

The real problem with Hingis's game is that Hingis is playing it!

Hingis is not fit enough.

Hingis does not have the endurance, stamina or heart to play tough matches.

Hingis is not strong enough to hit deep, penetrating shots, one after another in a point.

Hingis is weak and ineffective on her serve.

Hingis is a one dimentional player, that is, very good in slow paced and soft games where she can roam the court. She has no answer to fast paced and hard hitting games where she becomes stuck half a mile behind the baseline.

JHH, Ame, Kim, Patty, Elena, Nastya, etc have similar games to Hingis but not Hingis's shortcomings. The developing "big babes" are just too much for Hingis most of the time: Pova, Nadia, Kuzy, Nicole, etc. The older "big babes" overwhelm Hingis: Lindsay, Serena, Venus, etc.

Hingis may briefly get into the top 10 by the end of 2006 but she will drop off in 2007 when she cannot cover her points. I expect her to be about 20ish by this time next year and basically stay there.

Marcus Jordan
Aug 7th, 2006, 06:31 PM
I disagree. Hingis won't have many points to defend next year because she hasn't been in many finals and she's only won one title. She is always a safe bet to reach the quarter-final stage of all tournaments due to the lack of depth after the top 5 ranked players. She will be able to cover all her points next year and she will get better draws which will allow her to gain points. She will hold down a top 6 ranking next year make no mistake.

yeu tzuoo wang
Aug 7th, 2006, 06:44 PM
She sucks?

MrSerenaWilliams
Aug 7th, 2006, 07:00 PM
She just needs more experience on tour...she needs to figure out how to use her smarts

No.1Hingis
Aug 7th, 2006, 07:04 PM
She sucks?

I guess... you are better than her?

Matt01
Aug 7th, 2006, 08:15 PM
"Hingis is a one dimentional player,

:scratch: So let me guess: You think players like Sharapova, Davenport or the Williams Sisters are not such one-dimentional players like Hingis? :lol:

perseus2006
Aug 7th, 2006, 08:21 PM
:scratch: So let me guess: You think players like Sharapova, Davenport or the Williams Sisters are not such one-dimentional players like Hingis? :lol:

This is a thread about Hingis and her game. Try to focus on that and contribute to the discussion rather than taking umbrage at unflattering comments.

perseus2006
Aug 7th, 2006, 08:29 PM
I disagree. Hingis won't have many points to defend next year because she hasn't been in many finals and she's only won one title. She is always a safe bet to reach the quarter-final stage of all tournaments due to the lack of depth after the top 5 ranked players. She will be able to cover all her points next year and she will get better draws which will allow her to gain points. She will hold down a top 6 ranking next year make no mistake.

Maybe I am putting too much emphasis on the AO and Rome. I cannot see her defending her points at either event and they make up a lot of the total!

I expect her to take second and third round exits at the slams - lets see what she can do in the USO.

Matt01
Aug 7th, 2006, 08:43 PM
This is a thread about Hingis and her game. Try to focus on that and contribute to the discussion rather than taking umbrage at unflattering comments.

LOL, thanks for the advice :angel:

Havok
Aug 7th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Hingis will be a top 5 player imo. The only players who are playing better than her week-in and week-out are Mauresmo, Clijsters, Henin-Hardenne and Sharapova. Mind you Martina had to work damn hard to rise up the rankings and was given shitty draws quite a few times. The others were alresdy top players, so were seeded very high, and that makes a huge difference especially at the slams. Martina just came back from a 3+ year absence from the tour and already has scalps over Sharapova, Davenport, Venus and Kuznetsova, not to mention a whole slew of other talented players ranked 10-30 or so. Right now it seems as though Martina always has to play Mauresmo, Clijsters and Sharapova when she reaches a QF. Wait until next year where she can get seeded in the top 4 and actually be able to make a semifinals before facing those ladies and I'm sure that will make a huge difference in the scorelines, outcomes, and the way Martina will face the challenge of beating the top players. Mind you, Hingis is NEVEr getting blown off the courts by the big babes. A 6-3 6-3 scoreline might look like an easy win, but you know Matina made them battle and play really good tennis to beat her. Case in point, Hingis vs Sharapova Indian Wells.

spencercarlos
Aug 7th, 2006, 10:23 PM
"What's wrong with Hingis's game?", The thread author puts up Hingis's rhetorical question. Here is a possible answer along with the supporting thoughts:

The real problem with Hingis's game is that Hingis is playing it!

Hingis is not fit enough.

Hingis does not have the endurance, stamina or heart to play tough matches.

Hingis is not strong enough to hit deep, penetrating shots, one after another in a point.

Hingis is weak and ineffective on her serve.

Hingis is a one dimentional player, that is, very good in slow paced and soft games where she can roam the court. She has no answer to fast paced and hard hitting games where she becomes stuck half a mile behind the baseline.

JHH, Ame, Kim, Patty, Elena, Nastya, etc have similar games to Hingis but not Hingis's shortcomings. The developing "big babes" are just too much for Hingis most of the time: Pova, Nadia, Kuzy, Nicole, etc. The older "big babes" overwhelm Hingis: Lindsay, Serena, Venus, etc.

Hingis may briefly get into the top 10 by the end of 2006 but she will drop off in 2007 when she cannot cover her points. I expect her to be about 20ish by this time next year and basically stay there.
Flash news for you is that Hingis has beaten this year Elena, Nastya, Kuzy, Nicole, Lindsay and Venus, all of them players you just named as being too much for Hingis most of the time.
She is yet to play Schnyder i would love to see that one, because i donīt think Schnyder has the power to beat Hingis, anyway weīll see that one soon hopefully.
If players like Schnyder, Myskina and Schiavone whom are not big power hitter have been able to stay in the game, i really think Martina can too, ops i forgot she has beaten Schiavone this year in straight sets blow outs each time.
Hingis worst loses of the year comes in the hands of the worlds 19th ranked Penetta in January and world number 21 Ai Sugiyama at Wimbledon, thatīs pure consistency, incredible for someone that was out from the game for 3 and half years.
Hingisīs game being one dimensional :rolleyes: god please, you donīt even know what are you talking about, she can play great tennis from any part of the court and she can hit any shot in the book. Sure she does not have the power of Venus, Serena, Sharapova, etc but she can hit some great shots and her defense is impecable. She is already trying to add some power to her game, watch her go toe to toe with Kim in that first set last week. Anyway in tennis not everything is about power, players like Amelie and Henin have shown that.
You are just a delusional trash talking person, the moment when Martina starts losing to lower ranked players time after time, then you can come up here an imply that she is not ready to live up to her seeding and that her ranking will drop.
Anyway you donīt surprise me after all you rated Hingisīs win in Rome as "not great" http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?p=8116926#post8116926, lol you are :rolleyes: :lol:
You are indeed a Venus fan, why did not i noticed earlier :lol:

Rome
Aug 7th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Flash news for you is that Hingis has beaten this year Elena, Nastya, Kuzy, Nicole, Lindsay and Venus, all of them players you just named as being too much for Hingis most of the time.
She is yet to play Schnyder i would love to see that one, because i donīt think Schnyder has the power to beat Hingis, anyway weīll see that one soon hopefully.
If players like Schnyder, Myskina and Schiavone whom are not big power hitter have been able to stay in the game, i really think Martina can too, ops i forgot she has beaten Schiavone this year in straight sets blow outs each time.
Hingis worst loses of the year comes in the hands of the worlds 19th ranked Penetta in January and world number 21 Ai Sugiyama at Wimbledon, thatīs pure consistency, incredible for someone that was out from the game for 3 and half years.
Hingisīs game being one dimensional :rolleyes: god please, you donīt even know what are you talking about, she can play great tennis from any part of the court and she can hit any shot in the book. Sure she does not have the power of Venus, Serena, Sharapova, etc but she can hit some great shots and her defense is impecable. She is already trying to add some power to her game, watch her go toe to toe with Kim in that first set last week. Anyway in tennis not everything is about power, players like Amelie and Henin have shown that.
You are just a delusional trash talking person, the moment when Martina starts losing to lower ranked players time after time, then you can come up here an imply that she is not ready to live up to her seeding and that her ranking will drop.
Anyway you donīt surprise me after all you rated Hingisīs win in Rome as "not great" http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?p=8116926#post8116926, lol you are :rolleyes: :lol:
You are indeed a Venus fan, why did not i noticed earlier :lol:
I'm a Venus fan but I think hingis has game she is a couter puncher and I like that we have diffrent type of player's playing the game. I think Hingis has it in her to win slams she has done it five times with this game she is playing with now so to poeple who say hingis don't have game you are wrong.

spencercarlos
Aug 7th, 2006, 10:45 PM
I'm a Venus fan but I think hingis has game she is a couter puncher and I like that we have diffrent type of player's playing the game. I think Hingis has it in her to win slams she has done it five times with this game she is playing with now so to poeple who say hingis don't have game you are wrong.
I know there are some Venus fans that really apreciatte Hingisīs game, and her effort in coming back to the game, the problem is that some Venusīs hardcore fans really like to trash talk about Hingis, no matter where or when.
Understanable as Hingisīs still remains to be the more acomplished player, even after 3 and half years out from tennis. And being one of the chief rivals of Venus, even when Venus was playing dominant tennis in 2000-2001 for instance.

*JR*
Aug 8th, 2006, 11:46 PM
She also convinvingly beat Pova in their much-anticpated first meeting (@ Tokyo). But after that match (where Marti really psyched her out, saying since the season started: "I want 2C what she's got") the spell wore off, and Masha beat her in both Dubai and IW.

switz
Aug 8th, 2006, 11:53 PM
she needs a top level coach IMO. Melanie did an amazing job creating such a talented player but now she needs someone who will make her work harder than ever and who will critically work on the areas that need to be improved.

*JR*
Aug 9th, 2006, 12:04 AM
she needs a top level coach IMO. Melanie did an amazing job creating such a talented player but now she needs someone who will make her work harder than ever and who will critically work on the areas that need to be improved.
Mel is traveling with her through the Open. If the things said by many posters ITT don't change by then, they might look outside the family, IMO.

msharafan
Aug 9th, 2006, 12:12 AM
i think its fair to say she just doesnt have the game to be #1 ok she beat an inconsistent venus and sharapova once but since then sharapova has beaten her i think the girls in the locker room are starting to figure out how to beat her shes good enough for the top 10 and shell beat the majority of players but not any of the people in the top 5 so really she wont get to be number 1 and i believe wont win another slam! theres nothing wrong with her game its just not good enough against the top 5!

hingisGOAT
Aug 9th, 2006, 12:27 AM
she's beaten most of the big names already in her first year back :worship:

and yet, she still hasn't ironed out the kinks in her game yet; she's nowhere near as consistent as she used to be. like i've said before, by 2007 she is going to have her butt firmly planted inside the top 8 :) which means she will have higher seedings, and improve on her reuslts from this year. as her ranking and seeding rises, she will be in more semifinals and finals, gaining more match play and confidence.

GogoGirl
Aug 9th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Martina can beat anyone when it is meant to be. She has to be extremely on - and the toppers have to be a little or a lot off their A game and for the most part. Besides all that - she can be beaten by a lower ranked player if it is meant to be and all good things come together for the lower ranked player. It depends on the matchup and on any given day. When she beat Lindsay this year - I said to meself - oh - she can still do it - if it is meant to be and she does it. Duh.

I don't think she should give up. She still needs to beef up her serves and add some pace on her shots. In doing so - she would win more points. Although - she still will have to battle w/the big hitters stroke for stroke. But who doesn't?

spencercarlos
Aug 9th, 2006, 02:33 AM
i think its fair to say she just doesnt have the game to be #1 ok she beat an inconsistent venus and sharapova once but since then sharapova has beaten her i think the girls in the locker room are starting to figure out how to beat her shes good enough for the top 10 and shell beat the majority of players but not any of the people in the top 5 so really she wont get to be number 1 and i believe wont win another slam! theres nothing wrong with her game its just not good enough against the top 5!
Myskina won a slam, probably if she gets that kind of luck she could win another slam too.
But i agree right now she does not have the power to be number one again, sheīll have to improve on that tons and her serve especially if she wants to be on the GS winner circle ever again.

spencercarlos
Aug 9th, 2006, 02:38 AM
Martina can beat anyone when it is meant to be. She has to be extremely on - and the toppers have to be a little or a lot off their A game and for the most part. Besides all that - she can be beaten by a lower ranked player if it is meant to be and all good things come together for the lower ranked player. It depends on the matchup and on any given day. When she beat Lindsay this year - I said to meself - oh - she can still do it - if it is meant to be and she does it. Duh.

I don't think she should give up. She still needs to beef up her serves and add some pace on her shots. In doing so - she would win more points. Although - she still will have to battle w/the big hitters stroke for stroke. But who doesn't?
You mean Martina can lose to a lower rank player when losing to the 19th ranked Penetta or 21st ranked Sugiyama? :lol:
Excuse me but even Henin, Clijsters, Dementieva, Mauresmo, Sharapova and some other players have been beaten this year by lower ranked players than the 21.
It took Sugiyama play her best and Martina was dead tired to lose 6-4 in the third.