PDA

View Full Version : Asia Muhammad rising star for USA?

dagamezbest
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:53 PM
I have heard that she is a real good tennis player and she is a top USTA girl at the moment. I was just looking at her record for this 2006 season and its pretty impressive. She seems to get to at least the quaters at all events she has entered. She has a match against Meng Yuan in the qualifying draw at Carson today this weekend. I'll be watching her to see how she does. What do you guys think about her?

Tennisace
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:45 PM
I realized the other day another potential reason for the "demise" of American tennis. I believe this is true and if its wrong someone please correct me. It seems that in America, juniors always have a back up plan, NCAA (college) tennis. Sure many of them start with the aspirations of becoming a pro tennis player, but in the back of their mind they know that if they can't be a pro tennis player (based on amateur results) they can always get a scholarship to play college tennis.

In Europe I believe there is no back up plan. If you don't have promising results as a junior you kind of give up the game. Granted more and more international players are heading to the States to play NCAA tennis, its much less of a back up plan than American players.

Back to Asia, if she's going to be a rising star for USA if anything she is going to be a late bloomer. She has accomplished a lot in doubles, but girls like Harkleroad won 18s single events at 14 years old. And while junior results don't necessarily correlate to pro success, you have to admit it might be an uphill battle for Asia.

Carmen Mairena
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:46 PM
If she's as good as Coco Chanel... :tape: :haha:

roarke
Aug 5th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Picture anyone?

Staticbeef
Aug 5th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Picture anyone?

Player Profile
http://www.ajt/playerinfo.php?player_id=3511 (http://www./ajt/playerinfo.php?player_id=3511)

Freakan
Aug 5th, 2006, 10:56 PM
She's overhyped (but not on this board:p)

nizelegz
Aug 5th, 2006, 10:58 PM
I saw her play today in qualies, she is okay.

JackWalker
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:03 AM
i saw her in qualies today and shes playing like a 100-200 player. good serve and decent groundstrokes but very inconsistant. made a ton of ue's and she plays very fast and shows hardly any emotion.

fufuqifuqishahah
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:09 AM
hehehe yay more americans w/ crazy names!

Jakeev
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Considering I don't think Yuan is one of China's better players, she didn't seem to impressive in her loss today. Perhaps it was nerves, but Asia has a looooooong way to go.

fufuqifuqishahah
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:04 AM
omg i think i met her b4... i don't remember her being one of the nicest people... hopefully, my memory has failed me.