PDA

View Full Version : Even Hingis genuinly impressed by Clijsters - her reaction after the match ....

Mileen
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:36 PM
If Swiss Miss says so, it must be true

Having been the #1 in the world herself, might explaine why Martina has't been too generous in complimenting her fellow competitors. This probably makes it even more worthwhile when she actually does.

After the match Hingis was genuinly impressed by Clijsters. “She doesn’t really have any weaknesses,” the Swiss said. “Clijsters puts you on a lot of pressure mentally. You don’t really get an open chance from her to score a point.”
Hingis made her comeback in January. “I lack endurance yet. I wish I could play against Clijsters every day to get used to her intensity.” "My game isn’t still good enough to beat the best. I can make it hard for them, but I need more matches like this one. I want to reach further rounds than the quarters.”

Geisha
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:45 PM
She's being honest and true. It's hard to gage where your game is when you're dominating early round matches and then are unprepared to play the big guns.

Dinkie
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:46 PM
That's good sportmanship.

Ceri
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Really nice to see that from Martina, and good on her for continuing to push herself...maybe if she asks Kim nicely she could have her as a hitting partner...after all, it seems Kim is nice to her fans! :-p

Knizzle
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Hingis should replace all those "yous" with "I" because the top players don't have that much trouble scoring points against Kim.

-sugi-
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:59 PM
That was nice of Martina to say that and true :)

Grohl
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Nice from her!

PLP
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Hingis should replace all those "yous" with "I" because the top players don't have that much trouble scoring points against Kim.
Really? I thought many of the top players had trouble against Kim, except for maybe Justine?

In any case, Martina has a lot of respect for Kim and her game, it's nice to hear, even though I would have loved to see her at least win a set last night, but she just ran out of gas at 2-3 in the 2nd and Kim really stepped it up...water under the bridge I suppose. Good luck today KIM!

jochem
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:10 PM

hater :rolleyes:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:12 PM
That was really nice to hear it from Martina :)

PLP
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:56 PM
I wonder if Martina has asked Kim to hit with her? She mentioned after Paris (I think) that she really didn't know what to do against KIM and wanted to play her some more to figure it out...I actually think Martina has a better chance at beating any of the other top 4 ATM than Kim, for a combintion of reasons, it's just really interesting to me how different players games stack up against other players...

Hagar
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:01 PM
I think the Martina of 2006 is a more mature and nice person than the Martina of a couple of years ago. She no longer has problems to acknowledge the qualities of her opponent. Kim and hardcourt is a pretty lethal combination, not many players can do something against it. It would be nice to see a Kim-Maria final.

alwayshingis
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:02 PM
I wonder if Martina has asked Kim to hit with her? She mentioned after Paris (I think) that she really didn't know what to do against KIM and wanted to play her some more to figure it out...I actually think Martina has a better chance at beating any of the other top 4 ATM than Kim, for a combintion of reasons, it's just really interesting to me how different players games stack up against other players...

Absolutely. I would say Martina matches up worst against Kim than any of the others. I think it has a lot to do with Kim getting so many balls back. Martina can usually withstand powerful shots for 2-3 shots in the rally, and after that many power players will make errors or mishits that Martina can attack. Kim gets to so many more balls squarely, though, that it takes 5-6 shots usually to get her into that position, and Martina usually can't withstand that power. Now, if she could just stop drawing Kim in the QFs things would go better.

franny
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Wow, she said it like it is. Except really it's not just Kim that is this intense. All of the top four are gonna be tough for Martina to beat. Personally, I think she deserves to be in the 5-8 range. And she is totally right. Her current level right now can make it hard for the top 4, but she can't beat them right now. She's not fit enough and she's doesn't have the big shots. She has to work harder to win her points, and thus a set like the first sets at France and last night is going to just kill her.

tterb
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Wow, she said it like it is. Except really it's not just Kim that is this intense. All of the top four are gonna be tough for Martina to beat. Personally, I think she deserves to be in the 5-8 range. And she is totally right. Her current level right now can make it hard for the top 4, but she can't beat them right now. She's not fit enough and she's doesn't have the big shots. She has to work harder to win her points, and thus a set like the first sets at France and last night is going to just kill her.
I totally agree with your post. That's why she's dead on about needing to improve her endurance. She definitely has to work a little harder than power players to win points, and the top 3 right now are powerful AND excellent defenders. That combo will be tough for Martina to beat until she gains endurance and beefs up her serve a bit.

I agree with her assessment of Clijsters, too. Especially on hardcourt, Kim's just so tough for anyone (except Justine, who has the mental edge on her).

That said, I'm happy to hear Martina wants to continue improving. Her comeback has been top notch by any standards, but it's awesome that she's hungry for more. And I think she's up to the task - go Martina! :)

Carmen Mairena
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Martina is way more clever and good than Kim. Unfortunately she has to tell lies to make the media happy... :sobbing:

Martina :bowdown:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Martina is way more clever and good than Kim. Unfortunately she has to tell lies to make the media happy... :sobbing:

Martina :bowdown:
:help: :tape:

Kworb
Aug 5th, 2006, 07:38 PM
If Swiss Miss says so, it must be true

Having been the #1 in the world herself, might explain why Martina has't been too generous in complimenting her fellow competitors.

After the match Hingis was not impressed by Clijsters. “She has plenty of obvious weaknesses,” the Swiss said. “Clijsters doesn't put you under any pressure at all. You get so many open chances to score a point. If only I didn't make so many unforced errors.”
Hingis made her comeback in January. “Again I have ascended to being the best tennis player in the world. I wish I could play against Clijsters every day and destroy her.” "My game is simply superior. I can make it hard for myself by hitting unforced errors, but more matches against amateurs such as Kim will help me shake the rustiness. I am not destined to strand in the quarters like has-beens Pierce and Dementieva. Because I still have it.”

That's more like it :hearts:

Knizzle
Aug 5th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Really? I thought many of the top players had trouble against Kim, except for maybe Justine?

Not trouble figuring out how to win a point. Not at all.

Knizzle
Aug 5th, 2006, 08:19 PM
hater :rolleyes:

LOL, who exactly am I hating on??

PLP
Aug 5th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Not trouble figuring out how to win a point. Not at all.
I looked up Kim's H2H's and the only top players to have winning records over her are Vee and Serena, and of course Justine...and some of them are scary like 4-0 over Nadia, and 5-1 against Sveta, plus she has beaten Davenport 8 of the last 11, in any case, Kim's record speaks for itself.

Knizzle
Aug 5th, 2006, 09:01 PM
I looked up Kim's H2H's and the only top players to have winning records over her are Vee and Serena, and of course Justine...and some of them are scary like 4-0 over Nadia, and 5-1 against Sveta, plus she has beaten Davenport 8 of the last 11, in any case, Kim's record speaks for itself.
All of those can put pressure on Clijsters tho, maybe with the exception of Nadia because she hits with too much spin, but Hingis can't put much pressure on Kim at all. I just found it funny that she sorta spoke for the rest of the tour.

PLP
Aug 5th, 2006, 09:27 PM
All of those can put pressure on Clijsters tho, maybe with the exception of Nadia because she hits with too much spin, but Hingis can't put much pressure on Kim at all. I just found it funny that she sorta spoke for the rest of the tour.
I know, but I actually think she was speaking for herself and not everyone else, it's the whole language thing again, though obviously her English has improved immensely...Martina can pressure Kim too, as she showed in the first set of last night's match, but Kim has become very consitent for the most part...

Knizzle
Aug 5th, 2006, 09:39 PM
I know, but I actually think she was speaking for herself and not everyone else, it's the whole language thing again, though obviously her English has improved immensely...Martina can pressure Kim too, as she showed in the first set of last night's match, but Kim has become very consitent for the most part...

Fair enough, tho Kim's errors gave the break back in the first set.

tennnisfannn
Aug 5th, 2006, 09:45 PM
It is one thing to be honest but it is another to 'resign' to the situation, at the AO, she said she was not ready for aplayer like Kim, perhaps she never will until she tells herself she can beat players like kim. It isn't as if she is a teenager anymore and has time for her game to evolve further. Consider justine's attitude from the beginning, she was ready to beat the 'big' girls. Martina has a good game, i am sure it is good enough to beat kim.

henmanhill
Aug 5th, 2006, 10:41 PM
That's why she's only the world number 2. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :tape: