PDA

View Full Version : Kim Clijsters def. Martina Hingis 7-5; 6-2

mboyle
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:25 AM
Kim owns so many other players...it's rather scary:eek: .

selesfan
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:26 AM
:woohoo: Congrats Kim:bounce: :bounce:

UDACHi
very expected.

VeeReeDavJCap81
:sad: Martina

blumaroo
And without playing her best tennis either.

Brooks.
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:27 AM
Martina needs to improve her serve big time or she's never going to win these type of matches :help:

mboyle
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:28 AM
Hingis is now 4-10 against current top ten players, and she has yet to beat two in one tournament...and she hasn't beaten one since Berlin. I'm starting to get worried.

Derek.
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:28 AM
Martina. :sad:

Congrats Kim! :yeah:

WonderfulLee
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:29 AM
congrats Kim!

delicatecutter
Praise Ana, hallelujah!!

Thank you Kimmie for the ANAtar. I love you, girl!

hurricanejeanne
I think it's safe to say Kim owns Martina now...

KClijsters
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:30 AM
Congrats Kim !

I'm so happy that you won ! :bounce:

hingisGOAT
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:32 AM
absolutely pathetic :yawn:

~|Naomi|~
Well done Kim.
Should have won the first set more comfortably but came through when needed to.
Much better serving in the 2nd set:)

faboozadoo15
oy vey. poor martina. i fear her comeback has plateaued. she needs to add something and find something spoecial if she's to win these matches.

kim is just too good, too strong, too consistent.

martina, beef up that serve!!!

SelesFan70
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:35 AM
I thought Martina would win this. Oh, well. I'm not sure Martina came back to lose in the quarter-finals....not that losing to the #2 player in the world is a bad thing, but still. :(

delicatecutter
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:35 AM
Crap I dont like Mrs Piggy!

Patty played in a different quarterfinal. :confused:

Morrissey
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:37 AM
Hingis still has some time left. She has to decide is she going to half ass this come back or not? Because losing to Kim in the quarterfinals is not cool. Hingis NEEDS a better serve. Martina knows this its all up to her. Her second serve is crap as well. Clijsters is just too good, too powerful, too quick, and too solid for Hingis.

morningglory
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:38 AM
bah there goes the rest of my V-cash :(

CaptnMatt
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:39 AM
Hingis is now 4-10 against current top ten players, and she has yet to beat two in one tournament...and she hasn't beaten one since Berlin. I'm starting to get worried.

I think thats a little rough. She's losing to Clijsters.....it's not your average top 10 player. Since Berlin, she won Rome, fell to CLIJSTERS AGAIN in the FO and yeh, screwed up Wimbledon......

but other than Wimbledon....she's only lost to CLIJSTERS since Berlin....nobody else in the top 10. If you have a look, the rest of the top ten other than Amelie and Justine (who are the two best) CANNOT BEAT CLIJSTERS EITHER. Even Sharapova has never beaten Clijsters (4 losses to her only)

If you have a look at those 10 losses you're talking about.....6 of them are to Mauresmo, Clijsters and Henin Hardeene combined.....and another 2 are Sharapova....the worlds 4 BEST PLAYERS.....and she took a set off Mauresmo the last time they player 46 64 64......she'll keep getting better....just needs more time. I think you'll also find that if she played weaker top ten players (i.e. Schnyder, Petrova (she hasnt played either since shes been back), Dementieva etc.) more often, she'd have a better record as well.

Bad luck to Martina...but I'm confident she'll learn from it....come back stronger next time.

mboyle
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:41 AM
and, totally contrary to what would be expected, Hingis is not figuring people out. People are figuring Martina out. Sveta lost once then won; Maria lost once then won two or three. Dementieva won then lost, but on clay. In 1997-2000, every shot Martina hit was within a foot or so of the baseline, and she made fewer than 5 UFEs per set. She is making about 8 UFEs per set now, sometimes 10 or 12. She has also lost that consistent depth. Her serve has improved somewhat, I believe, but that is about the only bright spot. She is a step slower than she was in her heyday, though that is expected. What worries me is she isn't getting to net as much as she should, and she is not as consistent as she needs to be. It scares me that she can lose a set to Pennetta. In her heyday, Martina would have won 6-2; 6-1. Martina always had the easiest early round matches because she made no errors and scared the shit out of everyone not in the top 5 or 6, just because she made disasters out of those players' favorite shots, causing them to lose all confidence and self-destruct.

What is the most worrisome, perhaps, is Martina's scheduling. She is playing only the biggest events. It would have been wiser of her to play Stanford, Los Angeles and New Haven. Instead, she plays two tournaments where she is unlikely to advance beyond the quarter-finals, thus assuring that she will not be a top 8 seed at the US Open, and jeopardizing her YEC chances. She should have played a grass warm up--ideally Birmingham. I am pleasantly surprised at her choices for the fall. She is playing lots of small events in Asia, all of which she should win. All is not lost. However, if she wants to be a contender for these big titles, she has to "fake" her way to a top 5 ranking by playing smaller, less popular events and raking in the points. She can win a grand slam, but she has to get a really cushy draw, and she's not going to get a cushy draw until she gets a top 4 slam seed.

PLP
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:43 AM
Well, I am having a hard time not being frustrated, so many chances in the first set Martina! In any case, better luck with the draw in Montreal, though you'll probably end up drawing Kim in the quarters again :help:

alfonsojose
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:44 AM
Number 12 next week for Hingis

mboyle
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:47 AM
Well, I am having a hard time not being frustrated, so many chances in the first set Martina! In any case, better luck with the draw in Montreal, though you'll probably end up drawing Kim in the quarters again :help:

She shouldn't be playing Montreal. She isn't even a top 8 seed at Montreal. She could draw Kuznetsova in the R16.:eek: She should be playing LA and New Haven.

mboyle
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:48 AM
Number 12 next week for Hingis

that's really good though. She will be a top 12 seed at the US Open, which means she should reach the quarters fairly comfortably unless she runs into Sveta.

mc8114
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:49 AM
Since Martina's comeback Kim's being the one kicking her out the most important tournaments.

Congrats Kim :bounce: way to go!

delicatecutter
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:49 AM
and, totally contrary to what would be expected, Hingis is not figuring people out. People are figuring Martina out. Sveta lost once then won; Maria lost once then won two or three. Dementieva won then lost, but on clay. In 1997-2000, every shot Martina hit was within a foot or so of the baseline, and she made fewer than 5 UFEs per set. She is making about 8 UFEs per set now, sometimes 10 or 12. She has also lost that consistent depth. Her serve has improved somewhat, I believe, but that is about the only bright spot. She is a step slower than she was in her heyday, though that is expected. What worries me is she isn't getting to net as much as she should, and she is not as consistent as she needs to be. It scares me that she can lose a set to Pennetta. In her heyday, Martina would have won 6-2; 6-1. Martina always had the easiest early round matches because she made no errors and scared the shit out of everyone not in the top 5 or 6, just because she made disasters out of those players' favorite shots, causing them to lose all confidence and self-destruct.

What is the most worrisome, perhaps, is Martina's scheduling. She is playing only the biggest events. It would have been wiser of her to play Stanford, Los Angeles and New Haven. Instead, she plays two tournaments where she is unlikely to advance beyond the quarter-finals, thus assuring that she will not be a top 8 seed at the US Open, and jeopardizing her YEC chances. She should have played a grass warm up--ideally Birmingham. I am pleasantly surprised at her choices for the fall. She is playing lots of small events in Asia, all of which she should win. All is not lost. However, if she wants to be a contender for these big titles, she has to "fake" her way to a top 5 ranking by playing smaller, less popular events and raking in the points. She can win a grand slam, but she has to get a really cushy draw, and she's not going to get a cushy draw until she gets a top 4 slam seed.

But does this strategy really work? I've heard of no one making the Top 5 without having great results in the Slams or Tier Is!!

The lower Tier tournaments aren't worth shit. Vaidisova didn't get to the Top 10 by winning bucketloads of Tier IIIs and IVs. She got there because she made the semis of Roland Garros. As it should be.

ETA: Hingis is doing fine on her current strategy. She is 7th in the Race standings, which means she has the 7th best results of all the girls in 2006. Homegirl knows what she's doing.

TFan1156
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:52 AM
Think about it... How can a chick who spends $11,000 on a puppy to give to a child possibly lose? It just isn`t in the stars.... ;)

DutchieGirl
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:53 AM
:D Kimmie!

SAEKeithSerena
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:53 AM
great job kim. martina really needs to find that something extra, i wish that she could do better against the top players, maybe in time. but kim to another SF, great job

Zippy
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:58 AM
True but goodness, most of those losses were to the BIG 3 (Juju, Momo, Kim). Not even Pova, who's the CLEAR 4 best in the world can beat those 3 (she's like 1-10 vs them or something, with the 1 win coming against Juju in her first tourney that year coming back from injury).Yet I don't see you criticizing her. Very few players (outside of all the stars being aligned that day) can currently beat the Big 3.

PLP
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:59 AM
But does this strategy really work? I've heard of no one making the Top 5 without having great results in the Slams or Tier Is!!

The lower Tier tournaments aren't worth shit. Vaidisova didn't get to the Top 10 by winning bucketloads of Tier IIIs and IVs. She got there because she made the semis of Roland Garros. As it should be.

ETA: Hingis is doing fine on her current strategy. She is 7th in the Race standings, which means she has the 7th best results of all the girls in 2006. Homegirl knows what she's doing.
She is #7 but Lena, Nikki, and Patty could all pass her if she doesn't step it up...

Marcus Jordan
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:05 AM
Some of you peoplez are out of your minds! Martina can still win Grand Slams even if she never beats Clijsters. Every now and then we see a Grand Slam draw really open up with injuries and upsets. All Martina has to do is keep making Quarter-Finals and eventually she will catch a break with Clijsters/Henin being absent from the final 8 and Martina has already defeated Venus, Lindsay and Sharapova this year so we know she can take advantage when this occurs. Also, when you analyse her form this year she almost made the Semis of the Australian Open despite being rusty. Her favorite surface is clearly rebound ace and next January will be her biggest chance to win a Slam (she can beat anyone on Rebound Ace, even Clijsters). As for Roland Garros, Martina was far from her best due to a viral infection and still made the Quarters. Wimbledon was a pure upset and grass commonly produces upsets. What all this comes down to is that this is Martina Hingis' first year out of retirement, and if she hangs around for 5+ more years any number of permutations and combinations will occur that can lead to winning more Grand Slams. For all but one year (1997) Martina was only winning one Slam per year (the Australian Open). So I don't see why she should suddenly be beating top players on a regular basis, especially in her comeback year! If you read all her interviews she never says she came back only to be the best. She came back because nothing pleases her as much as tennis. Her life isn't complete without it, and that doesn't mean she has to be beating Clijsters to be happy. Even the greatest competitor of them all Michael Jordan only came back to play for Washington so he could enjoy the game of basketball. He didn't try to lead the NBA in scoring and win the MVP, he played for the love of the game. Martina is playing for the love of the game (she always did).

mboyle
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:11 AM
True but goodness, most of those losses were to the BIG 3 (Juju, Momo, Kim). Not even Pova, who's the CLEAR 4 best in the world can beat those 3 (she's like 1-10 vs them or something, with the 1 win coming against Juju in her first tourney that year coming back from injury).Yet I don't see you criticizing her. Very few players (outside of all the stars being aligned that day) can currently beat the Big 3.

Sharapova stays close to them. Sharapova, remember, would have beaten Justine in Australia if the shotspot system had been put in place three months before it was. She got screwed on two calls that were both on game point. Sharapova won 6 games in that final set. Hingis pushed the top players more at the beginning of the year than she is now. Sharapova is pushing the top players more now than she was a year ago. And I do get frustrated as heck that Maria can't beat the big 3.

~|Naomi|~
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:13 AM
Hingis: 34 UE to 18 winners.
Kim: 27 UE to 25 winners.

oakkao
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:16 AM
Sharapova stays close to them. Sharapova, remember, would have beaten Justine in Australia if the shotspot system had been put in place three months before it was. She got screwed on two calls that were both on game point. Sharapova won 6 games in that final set. Hingis pushed the top players more at the beginning of the year than she is now. Sharapova is pushing the top players more now than she was a year ago. And I do get frustrated as heck that Maria can't beat the big 3.
Let me tell YOU something about tennis, the match isn't over until the last point is won. :rolleyes: Justine has had many terrific comebacks in her young career, and Sharapova has choked many. :kiss: Justine has come from 1-5 deposits in final sets (SF @ Athens) and Sharapova has blown 5-1 leads in final sets. :kiss: Justine is a fighter, you do not know for sure that she would have indeed beaten Henin. Remember, Sharapova had 3 MPs against Serena and still lost :angel: Sharapova wasn't cheated of those 2 points on MP :ras:

hablo
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:19 AM
nice win, kim! :D
martina, just don't give up,ok! :hug:

~|Naomi|~
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:21 AM
Kim has levelled the H2H with Martina at 4-4:)
Was 4-1 to Hingis at the start of the year.

KClijsters
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:24 AM
Kim has levelled the H2H with Martina at 4-4:)
Was 4-1 to Hingis at the start of the year.

Yeah, that's right ! :)

Andy.
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:24 AM
Awww Poor Martina i really wish she would have won this match. Better luck next time.

Marcus Jordan
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:26 AM
Like I've said before, I don't think Martina needs to win Grand Slams or beat top players to be happy. The only thing that would make her unhappy is retirement. It's not about being the best, its about doing the thing you enjoy. Retirement taught her that. Only the fans think Martina MUST WIN to be happy, cos the fans don't get to enjoy what Martina is enjoying (though I think I enjoy watching her as much as she enjoys playing).

DutchieGirl
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:31 AM
In the last 10 or so posts, who said anything about Martina being unhappy? :scratch:

Marcus Jordan
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Whenever Martina loses to Clijsters the game thread is all about 'poor Martina'. More like 'poor fans'. :D

Leo_DFP
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:34 AM

This post doesn't have what we call logic.

Sally Struthers
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:35 AM
I had no doubt Kim would win since Martina has problems with fast players.

jojoseph
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:36 AM
Fuck, I've never seen Martina play live. It would have been nice if she could have made it to tomorrow. :mad: :fiery:

Congrats to Kim.

mboyle
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Like I've said before, I don't think Martina needs to win Grand Slams or beat top players to be happy. The only thing that would make her unhappy is retirement. It's not about being the best, its about doing the thing you enjoy. Retirement taught her that. Only the fans think Martina MUST WIN to be happy, cos the fans don't get to enjoy what Martina is enjoying (though I think I enjoy watching her as much as she enjoys playing).

Actually she said herself she came back because she thought she could win more slams and be top 5, maybe no. 1 again.

Chrysanthemum
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:40 AM
Oh well, i already expected this result. Martina really had no clue againts consistent powerful and agility Kim Clijsters.

And i agree that Martina really need something special to beat those top players. What she has rite now is not enough for her to win big matches.

I really hope that Martina will improving her game into a better level.

Marcus Jordan
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:41 AM
Actually she said herself she came back because she thought she could win more slams and be top 5, maybe no. 1 again.

She said she came back because she couldn't find reasons to get up in the morning. Nothing would fill the void. Setting goals to win was a secondary thing. I'm sure she would still be playing if she was ranked 20 and not winning Slams, even in 5 years time (barring injury).

Buitenzorg
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Kim is way better on hardcourt, Martina weakest serve is still on her shoulder :rolleyes:

delicatecutter
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:43 AM

I said as soon as Martina announced her comeback that she could (and probably will) be Top 5 again. But that is never synonymous with winning a major. Someone should list all of the girls who have reached top 5 status in the last 10 years but never won a Major during her sojourn. Hell, Martina was #1 in the World a long-ass time after her last Slam win.

louisa2k2
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:30 AM
Its the problem of not having mental strength again she cant close things out, if she had won the first set it could have been different.

JackFrost
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Martina :fiery: :sad:
I think Martina and Jeca will be not too sad, if Clijsters retires next year. :lol:

delicatecutter
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:40 AM
vCash just payed out!!!

I must re-thank Kimmie for my anatar!! All my vCash on Kimmie tomorrow!

DutchieGirl
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Whenever Martina loses to Clijsters the game thread is all about 'poor Martina'. More like 'poor fans'. :D

Whenever someone loses who has alot of fans, there's always a "poor x" thread. :shrug:

DutchieGirl
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:45 AM
vCash just payed out!!!

I must re-thank Kimmie for my anatar!! All my vCash on Kimmie tomorrow!

:lol: Ahh you got your avie. ;)

JackWalker
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:52 AM
this was a really dissapointment match. i really thought martina should have won this. this is what hingis did wrong:

-she had more unforced errors than kim (ridiculous since she is supposed to be more consistant)
-she did not convert on a majority of her break points
-she did not come to net as much as she should have
-she miss hit a ton of balls
-she completely ran out of steam in the second
-she hit to the backhand of clijsters which is much more consistant instead of trying to break the forehand of clijsters down which is more prone to break down
-she did not take advantage of clijsters frustration. kim was visibly frustrated, braking rackets, and having bad body language
-it was basically the same story as roland garros and im shocked she did not really learn anything

the only good thing i saw was:

-one game in the second set, hingis serving at 1-3, she served extremely well. A serve at 108, missed one at 111, and hit service winners. She needs to that more often. the only thing that prevents her is her toss. her toss is so high that in order to hit it she slows her racket head speed. if she had a lower toss then her racket head motion would be fast and her serves would be in the 105 range.

jojoseph
Aug 5th, 2006, 07:00 AM
This is all very interesting. It just looks like she's there, but just can't get over the hump atm.

Sharapova's_Boy
Aug 5th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Kim :D

Martina :(

dorotek23
Aug 5th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Nice job Kim. :) Good luck with Nicole

rada
Aug 5th, 2006, 07:07 AM
wow jelena did better

Belmont Lad
Aug 5th, 2006, 07:18 AM
Awesome job Kimmie, good luck in the semis! :) :worship:

Martian Jeza
Aug 5th, 2006, 07:26 AM
this was a really dissapointment match. i really thought martina should have won this. this is what hingis did wrong:

-she had more unforced errors than kim (ridiculous since she is supposed to be more consistant)
-she did not convert on a majority of her break points
-she did not come to net as much as she should have
-she miss hit a ton of balls
-she completely ran out of steam in the second
-she hit to the backhand of clijsters which is much more consistant instead of trying to break the forehand of clijsters down which is more prone to break down
-she did not take advantage of clijsters frustration. kim was visibly frustrated, braking rackets, and having bad body language
-it was basically the same story as roland garros and im shocked she did not really learn anything

the only good thing i saw was:

-one game in the second set, hingis serving at 1-3, she served extremely well. A serve at 108, missed one at 111, and hit service winners. She needs to that more often. the only thing that prevents her is her toss. her toss is so high that in order to hit it she slows her racket head speed. if she had a lower toss then her racket head motion would be fast and her serves would be in the 105 range.

Nothing has changed under the sun... Always the same problems : she has the possiblities to beat Kim but again don't take them by being passive...

Martina it is time for you to stop laughing with yourself, you know you can beat everyone why don't you do it then ? :fiery:

~Carsten~
Aug 5th, 2006, 07:29 AM
well done Kim! :)

Hagar
Aug 5th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Logical result based on how Martina fared against Kim this year. Congrats Kim for making that H2H 4-4. WTG, girl!

chuCKnorris
Aug 5th, 2006, 08:04 AM
well done, Kimmy :yeah:
now beat Vaidisova into the final... :bounce:

Martina :sad: sorry you had to play Kim so early :hug:

So Disrespectful
Aug 5th, 2006, 08:22 AM
As soon as I saw 6-5 on the scoreboard, I knew the final result already.

Errinella
Aug 5th, 2006, 08:36 AM
34 unforced errors from Martina!! Ouch!!

Grohl
Aug 5th, 2006, 08:38 AM
:woohoo:

terjw
Aug 5th, 2006, 08:47 AM
:woohoo: Kim.

MrSerenaWilliams
Aug 5th, 2006, 09:42 AM
martina....sad result...hopefully you learn from this and do better throughout the series and the open!

<Sven>
Aug 5th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Think about it... How can a chick who spends $11,000 on a puppy to give to a child possibly lose? It just isn`t in the stars.... ;)
:lol: I've heard about that too
Can't beat karma ;)

-Makiri-
Aug 5th, 2006, 11:37 AM
:bigcry: :bigcry:

Ryan
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:59 PM
I'm dissapointed in the result, but some of you (mboyle) are out to lunch. Hingis is having a fantastic comeback season, already at #12, and with a Tier 1 title under her belt. She hasn't beaten a Top 10 player since Dementieva at Berlin? Uh, she's only played 4 tournaments since then - Rome, where she faced FIVE top 20 players, RG she lost to Kim, Wimbledon she screwed up and lost to Sugiyama, and SD she lost to Kim. What a fucking awful record. :rolleyes: No, it's not up to the par of peak Hingis, but Hingis is NOT at her peak/near it yet. She still has plenty of time to bring back her endurance and fabled consistancy, which IMO, takes longer to achieve than 7 1/2 months back on tour. Martina is NOT taking this comeback lightly, and any loss - especially to the top players - will only motivate her. Did she improve this time against Kim? No, which is very frustrating since the first set was very close. Is her career over? Fuck no, if Hingis stays at it she can play for another 3-4 years, and her consistancy will keep her top 10 until she quits on her own terms. She wont dominate like before, but she'll beat top players, and if everything falls into place she could win another 2 slams or so.

Yasmine
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:01 PM
well done Kim! :clap2: :banana:

*Jean*
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Well done Kim ! Hingis seems to get down these times :p

-sugi-
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Kim :woohoo:

Win this tournament :)

Dexter
Aug 5th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Hingis :ras: :(

Stamp Paid
Aug 5th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Even though Hingis' game is antiquated, all she needs is a good draw (i.e. Rome) to do well and win. But if she has to play an elite player, she will lose.

Craigy
Aug 5th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Martina :ras: Now Kim will win :ras:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Congrats Kim ;)

Marcell
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Saturday, August 5, 2006
Hingis still struggles against elite players
She falls to Clijsters for the third time in her comeback. The Belgian prevails, 7-5, 6-2.
By JANIS CARR
The Orange County Register
CARLSBAD Broken-spirited and injured, Martina Hingis disappeared three years ago, relinquishing her spot at the top of women's tennis to players such as Kim Clijsters, Justine Henin-Hardenne, Amelie Mauresmo and Maria Sharapova.

Hingis is back now, but the others haven't gone anywhere.

The former No.1 player has made a remarkable run from retirement to No.13 in the world, but she continues to struggle against the elite players. On Friday, she lost to second-ranked Kim Clijsters for a third time in her comeback, falling, 7-5, 6-2, in the quarterfinals of the Acura Classic.

Clijsters, who won last week's event in Palo Alto, will play Nicole Vaidisova in today's semifinals at La Costa Resort and Spa. Vaidisova, who will move into the top 10 next week, defeated Anna Chakvetadze, 3-6, 6-4, 6-3.

Sharapova, seeded second, will play fourth-seeded Patty Schnyder in the other semifinal. Sharapova advanced with a 6-2, 6-3 victory against defending champion Mary Pierce, while Schnyder reached the semifinals by beating fifth-seeded Elena Dementieva, 6-4, 6-3.

Clijsters dominated Hingis despite an achy back and weary legs that limited her movement. She said she has begun to feel the effects of playing back-to-back tournaments on top of Fed Cup.

"It's part of sports, having good days and bad days," Clijsters said. "But it's annoying to have little things that you feel on the court. That's why I was getting annoyed."

After dumping a forehand into the net in the first set, Clijsters swiped at the ground with her racket, breaking the frame.

"I just tried to flick (the court), but I guess my arms are longer than I thought," she said.

Although she didn't break her racket, Hingis' frustration became obvious as the match progressed. She challenged calls, made faces and repeatedly threw up her hands.

At 25, Hingis clearly isn't the same player as she was when she ruled tennis with her cunning ground strokes and omnipresent grin. She now runs around her once deadly backhand, her forehand lets her down, and doubt has crept in.

"Geez, I'm 25, not 17 and I can't make up for the three years I did not play," Hingis said. "But I've showed the skills and I can play long matches, but against the top players you have to play matches like today and come out on top."

moby
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:29 PM
Hingis is now 4-10 against current top ten players, and she has yet to beat two in one tournament...and she hasn't beaten one since Berlin. I'm starting to get worried.She's only played a top 10 player twice since Berlin, and both times it was Kim, who is still the world no. 2, reigning USO Champion, and 3rd most consistent player in slams this year. It's not like she drew Patty or someone more beatable. :wavey:

That said, she needs to figure Kim out fast.

davidmario
Aug 5th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Martina reached her peak in Rome. There won't come more from her.

LegionArgentina
Aug 5th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Martina :sad:

PLP
Aug 5th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Martina reached her peak in Rome. There won't come more from her.
And you know this because?? :rolleyes:

I think most Hingis fans realized this year would be tough, a transitional year on so many levels for Martina, but still, she is getting there, has played well most of the time, and she has made improvements in her game since Rome IMO.

If she hadn't been going for so much last night, maybe things would have been different, but I for one am glad that she lost with over 30 errors, good for you Martina, don't be passive, and I am very excited about next year!