PDA

View Full Version : Maria Sharapova vs Patty Schnyder Who will win?

Aaron.
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:28 PM
i think patty in 3

Dexter
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Maria will win in 2 for sure.

I couldn't care less for the winner though :tape:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:33 PM
After what I've just seen, I can't say that Patty has any chances to win.. Maria was today so confident with her shots. Patty played Elena whose balls were flying everythere but not in the court, so she just needed to play the ball back.
I say Maria in 2 really short sets.

iPatty
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:34 PM
patty always plays well against maria. she beat her in rome last year and took her to three sets at the year-ending championships last season.

with the speed the courts are playing at, combined with the way patty plays against sharapova, i'm gonna go with patty schnyder in three tough sets.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:44 PM
patty always plays well against maria. she beat her in rome last year and took her to three sets at the year-ending championships last season.

with the speed the courts are playing at, combined with the way patty plays against sharapova, i'm gonna go with patty schnyder in three tough sets.
Well, if I were you I wouldn't look at Maria's matches against Patty on clay - she doesn't play good at it.
Anyway, I think Maria's game will be too fast for Patty, but we'll see :)

TFan1156
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:44 PM
You would think this would be a real easy win for Maria but all three meetings have gone three sets and Patty won once on clay. Maria has served and hit excellent the last two matches though so this should be a routine win for her. And beware of any picks for Schnyder as they will be the product of fans or wishful thinking. We just saw 40% pick Pierce over Maria... :lol:

Beny
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:56 PM
I absolutely don`t know..Maria played perfect tennis today..
but if Patty plays angles, high balls and drop shots tomorrow, she`ll have a chance.
Mainly angles and high balls to BH of Maria...

KClijsters
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:59 PM
I think that Maria will win in 2

bellascarlett
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:03 PM
And beware of any picks for Schnyder as they will be the product of fans or wishful thinking. We just saw 40% pick Pierce over Maria... :lol:

or simply bias against Maria...but this is what occurs most of the time in match polls with Sharapova in them...no matter the circumstances...even with a returning-after-several-months mary pierce. it gets really funny and absurd sometimes. :lol:

sfselesfan
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:06 PM
This one is a toss up. Patty is the type of player that is capable of frustrating Maria. Every match they have played in the past has gone the distance with three sets. Patty has a win over her. I think this one is too close to call. Those of you who are predicting Maria will eat Patty alive are under estimating the match up.

SF

mauresmofan
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Patty is so talented and has every shot and trick in the book in her arsenel. If she stays focused and that's a big if for Patty than she has a real shot. I absolutely love when she drop shots and then lobs her opponent - I think it's her best play. I'd pick Sharapova to win but I think it will be close. Patty will drag Maria all around the court with her crafty angles and wrong footers. I want Patty to win because I don't think she's reached anywhere near her potential and it would do the tour wonders to see her play at her best coming up to and at the US Open.

mboyle
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Those of you who are predicting Maria will eat Patty alive are under estimating the match up.

Not on a hardcourt when Maria served nine aces and had a plus 8 differential today. Patty just lost to Katarina Srebotnik two weeks ago. Maria loses to one kind of player: faster than she is with power almost equal. Schnyder is just as fast, but not faster than Maria, and doesn't have anywhere near the power. Sharapova will win 6-3; 6-3 or something like that.

sfselesfan
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Patty plays a Mauresmo-like game. That should have Maria concerned.

SF

No Name Face
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:10 PM
i genuinely hope patty wins, but then she'll keel over and die for :yawn:sters.

but a sharapova/clijsters final is not something i want to see, because i dislike them immensely.

so i guess patty and hope she beats clijsters, although that wont happen.

msharafan
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:13 PM
im going to say masha will win be it in 2 or 3 sets!

Wannabeknowitall
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Maria's issue with spin is not as bad as it was 2 years ago.
Patty needs to do more with her forehand to win this. Patty continues to play good tennis on the hard courts. After what some would consider a dismal year on the clay, she's single-handily kept herself in the top ten with good hard court play.
I think Patty can do it. Patty needs to return well in this match and put on the deep spins.

Cat's Pajamas
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:20 PM
I want Patty to win but I think Maria will win :ras:

dizoo
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:29 PM
i'd be very happy if patty kill the bitch...but i think she'll (sharapova) win

=/

iPatty
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Not on a hardcourt when Maria served nine aces and had a plus 8 differential today. Patty just lost to Katarina Srebotnik two weeks ago. Maria loses to one kind of player: faster than she is with power almost equal. Schnyder is just as fast, but not faster than Maria, and doesn't have anywhere near the power. Sharapova will win 6-3; 6-3 or something like that.

is that a joke? you seriously think that patty moves as slow as maria sharapova? wow. just wow.

you really need to watch patty's matches before you throw insults at her like that.

patty is one of the fastest players on tour. she's also one of the fittest.

Il Primo!
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:01 AM
This thread is a joke?:spit: I mean, we're not on clay babe!

tterb
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:02 AM
I actually agree with your prediction that Maria will win, and it could be a rout if she's on fire. And obviously, Maria should be favored on a hardcourt. But make no mistake, if Patty plays well (a big if, I know), Maria WILL have to bring it for this match, or she will have trouble. Maria will have to hit through Patty, or Patty could get into her head with her defense, spins, and angles. Maria had also better pick on Schnyder's backhand, because if Patty is on her game, she has the ability to move Maria around with her forehand.

But my main point with quoting you was to point out the part in bold. WTF? Patty is an excellent defender, and extremely quick around the court. Maria is an adequate mover, but nowhere near Patty's league - I mean, Maria still hits those worthless lefty forehands when she's in trouble! Anyway, Maria will have to hit a LOT of extra balls in the match tomorrow.

Also, when looking at today's stats, you have to take into account that Maria was playing Mary in her first tournament since forever. A Mary who was just taken to three sets by Bammer. A Mary who, even at her best, is not one of the better movers on court. So why you'd read anything special into a +8 differential for Maria is beyond me. It's a solid stat, yes, but it's worthless to use as an indicator of how Maria will play against a good mover like Patty.

hurricanejeanne
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Patty has a chance, she has the game to frustrate the hell out of Maria and has done so in the past and can still do that.
Patty needs to serve and return well, use her forehand angles to move Maria around and hit a lot of deep spins and draw Maria into net.

tennnisfannn
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Patty plays a Mauresmo-like game. That should have Maria concerned.

SF
I feel that Maria will be to Patty what Venus is to Patty. A pain in the butt.

switz
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Schnyder is just as fast, but not faster than Maria, and doesn't have anywhere near the power.

Maria is the clear favourite on hard but you are kidding yourself if you think Maria is as fast as Patty. that is another one of your crap statements :lol:

gary
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:56 AM
OMG.. I want to vote for Masha in 2,but voted for Schnyder in 2 accidentally :o :o

UDACHi
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:58 AM
maria 6-4 6-1.

Wtrain
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:01 AM
I say Maria in three. But I do think Schnyder will test her.

faboozadoo15
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:16 AM
i'm picking maria in straights, but patty has her chances. patty would need to serve really well and really put sharapova's game off for her to win. it's not impossible though. patty's made a good living putting people off their games, and she's frustrated maria in the past.

still, i think maria's serve will make the difference, and she'll win.

faboozadoo15
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:17 AM
oh, and patty's faster than maria ;)

maria's getting quicker and more studius around the court, but she's not at patty's level in those departments yet... I WISH.

Andy.
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:24 AM
Sharapova in 2 she is really building in momentum

Dawn Marie
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:29 AM

I disagree. Maria loses to finesse players as well as faster power babes. Alot of the big power babes have a hard time against finesse style. Imho she is alot like Davenport but has problems against Clijsters and Henin.

I think this is a toss up but Patty is no Mary Pierce.

SAEKeithSerena
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:42 AM
Sharapova wins 6-3, 6-2

LegionArgentina
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:45 AM
Patty in three

hwanmig
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:51 AM
I pick deranged Patty over Miss Bland-face Sharapova.

Andy.
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:53 AM
Masha will win in 2 the only place Patty beats her is on clay, i think on a fast hardcourt Masha should simply overpower her.

perseus2006
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:56 AM
Some things about Patty (IMO, only):

*The "cutest" girl in the WTA.
*One of the few left handers - difficult to play at any time.
*On a red hot streak and just beat Elena for even more confidence!!!!
*Really good shot maker.
*Really good defender, lots of speed, good anticipation.
*She's in this tournament to win it!!!

Some things about Pova (IMO, only):

*The most "glamourous" girl in the WTA.
*One of the dominant "big babes" on tour.
*Needs match play against players like Patty (not Mary).
*Needs to continue to implement movement improvements.
*Needs to continue to implement defensive improvements.
*Needs to continue to implement shot variety.
*She's in this "warmup" tournament to implement improvements, gain consistency and hone skills prior to the USO.

With all this in mind, I think the Pova-Patty match could be really good in terms of drama, excitement and entertainment. Pova may do some peculiar things during the match just to try them out; Pova will advance from the baseline a lot; play with more patience to get Patty to make her drops, lobs, angle shots, etc just to see what she can handle; play with more abandon to test out her endurance and strength. Pova's attitude is going to be that things only done on the practice court don't win titles! Look for Pova to play some really bizarre points.

Patty is going to come out to win the match, period! And she is going to do everything she can to win it.

Pova will probably play enough "big babe" tennis to pull out the win. She is allergic to losing. But she will experiment during the match - or I'll be rather disappointed (not that that hasn't happened before).

Andy.
Aug 5th, 2006, 02:02 AM
I just hope that she comes out with all guns balzing and just thumps her off the court, wham bam thank you mam style

iPatty
Aug 5th, 2006, 02:43 AM
Masha will win in 2 the only place Patty beats her is on clay, i think on a fast hardcourt Masha should simply overpower her.

seeing as how the courts at san diego are playing extremely slow this year, you're picking patty to win? based on your idiot logic, that is.

fOxYLiCiOuS
Aug 5th, 2006, 02:47 AM
Sharapova should be too powerful for Patty. I think Sharapova in straight sets - 6-4 6-4! :)

If Patty plays well. she could take Maria into 3 sets. ;)

faboozadoo15
Aug 5th, 2006, 02:48 AM
seeing as how the courts at san diego are playing extremely slow this year, you're picking patty to win? based on your idiot logic, that is.
who's been telling you that these courts have been playing slow? because they're wrong. the courts are playing quite fast.

and there's a lot of reasons sharapova should beat patty, not just one ;)

iPatty
Aug 5th, 2006, 02:56 AM
who's been telling you that these courts have been playing slow? because they're wrong. the courts are playing quite fast.

and there's a lot of reasons sharapova should beat patty, not just one ;)

i was watching the matches today. :rolleyes:

to the poster who said that sharapova would do to patty like venus does to patty:

1) patty has a win over sharapova. :tape:

2) maria is nowhere near as fast or athletic as venus, thus patty can use angles better and set up the points.

3) maria's shots are not as penetrating as venus's. nor is her serve.

morningglory
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:59 AM
I absolutely don`t know..Maria played perfect tennis today..
but if Patty plays angles, high balls and drop shots tomorrow, she`ll have a chance.
Mainly angles and high balls to BH of Maria...
I think if Patty would be better off playing to Maria's FH. Maria's BH is a very solid two hander that can handle both spin and height quite well. her FH, when it's off, is very vulnerable to those shots I think :o
that said Maria is in the better form and should win in 2 or 3

Si_Hi
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:06 AM
maria in 2!!!

Buitenzorg
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:16 AM
don't carevwho will win, but i think Patty in 3

RJWCapriati
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:24 AM
Patty in 2

SoClose
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Maria - 6:3 7:5

DarkchildSwiss
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Patty Schnyder in 3 sets.

jack daniels
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Masha in 3! :D

iPatty
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:52 PM
I think if Patty would be better off playing to Maria's FH. Maria's BH is a very solid two hander that can handle both spin and height quite well. her FH, when it's off, is very vulnerable to those shots I think :o
that said Maria is in the better form and should win in 2 or 3

when they've played in the past, patty's had a lot more success going to the sharapova backhand. the spin gets to maria because she takes such big cuts at the ball.

rightous
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Patty has the potential to cause Maria all sorts of problems it whether she can enforce her game on the match.

My heart says Patty, my mind says Maria - I'll say Patty

Craigy
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:59 PM
I think Maria in 2 :shrug:

alibaby
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Patty is so talented and has every shot and trick in the book in her arsenel. If she stays focused and that's a big if for Patty than she has a real shot. I absolutely love when she drop shots and then lobs her opponent - I think it's her best play. I'd pick Sharapova to win but I think it will be close. Patty will drag Maria all around the court with her crafty angles and wrong footers. I want Patty to win because I don't think she's reached anywhere near her potential and it would do the tour wonders to see her play at her best coming up to and at the US Open.
very good statement! :worship: i hope so much,she can do it.she deserves much more in her career!!

go patty-baby!! :kiss: :kiss: :hearts: :hug:

Just Do It
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Maria 4sure !!! 6-2 6-2

frenchie
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:55 PM
I hope Patty wins!!

Highlandman
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:17 PM
I hope Schnyder, but think Sharapova in three.

squig2k
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:50 PM
This has been such an easy draw for Maria. Shes definitelyy going to beat Patty..

LadyLil
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Hoping Schnyder keeps her head on straight and plays like she wants to win this match not like she played Kim last week.

CanIGetAWhat
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Maria routs Patty 6-4, 6-4, then loses to Kim in the final 6-0, 6-0.

furrykitten
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Good Luck Maria :hug:

Sweep
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:20 PM
I went for Sharapova in three, something like 6-3 5-7 6-3.

Dennis^^
Aug 5th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Maria will win in two sets.