PDA

View Full Version : Venus Will Not Play Next Week

Marcell
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Breaking News
Venus to Pull out of L.A.
Venus Williams will pull out of the next week's JPMorgan Chase Open in Los Angeles, ******************** has learned. Venus father, Richard, said on Friday that his daughter's wrist injury is still too painful to allow her to play. However, Serena Williams and Lindsay Davenport will play the event.

Can someone that suscribe please post the article.

Perfection
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:26 PM
:eek:

Marcell
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:27 PM
That is from Matt Cronin from tennisreporter.

Aaron.
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:27 PM
:fiery:

henree
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:31 PM
I feel for the fans. We just may get a Indian Wells style booing contest for Serena if she shows up. Why does Venus always pull out so late.:fiery:

hacberto
well if she isn't ready to play she must not play. :sad: Love you V

Hope you get fine sool.

-VSR-
Expected. Injuries suck, and I'm not even going to guess when Venus will return. :scared: :sad:

oakkao
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Oh no she didn't!

*Flies to LA to beat Venus' ass*

:fiery:

Paneru
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:32 PM
If true, it's fine.

Venus should not play until
she is healthy. It's cost her
in the past and she's learned
from that lesson.

Upon confirmation,
Get Well Venus. :kiss: :hug:

Anticipation making this
heart grow fonder! :wavey:

Paneru
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:34 PM
I feel for the fans. We just may get a Indian Wells style booing contest for Serena if she shows up. Why does Venus always pull out so late.:fiery:

None of us know when players
really pull out. Only when tournaments
announce them.

Something to think about.
No entry lists and so forth
now, wonder why.

TomTennis
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:36 PM
:sad: gutted, but look at the past when she has tried to return too soon she has lost winnable matches.

Fingers crossed she is ready for Montreal :bounce: But dont hurry back if ur injured Vee!!! :wavey:

-VSR-
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Thank god we have Serena! I hope she does well here and takes the field by storm. Haven't seen much pictures of her around, which is great, she must be practicing! :yeah:

hablo
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:40 PM
I wonder if she's going to play at the Canadian Open ? :unsure:

Cat's Pajamas
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Not surprised, starting to not care, starting to see the twighlight, hope I'm proved wrong.

Craigy
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Serena's playing!!!! :bounce: If she reaches the 1/4's I'll probably see her playing :woohoo:

hacberto
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:43 PM

I think that Venus always have faith and she always hope that she will recover soon so that's why she pulls out of a tournament so late, I think :rolleyes:

Good Luck,

H

davidmario
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Injury of what? She played only a few time this year:(

Kim's_fan_4ever
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:44 PM
Pity :/

Cat's Pajamas
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:47 PM
All I ask is that when she comes back, she plays with some motivation and be happy that she's back :rolleyes: like Kim in 05

Diesel
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Venus needs to do what's best and that's get herself back into a full healthy state. She'll be back soon enough. Serena :)

sfselesfan
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Venus has every right to pull out at this point. She may have waited (1) to see if her wrist impoved enough or (2) because the tournament pressured her to not pull out sooner so they could sell tickets. Put yourselves in her position.

SF

Morrissey
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Maybe Venus is injured but don't people realize the sisters RARELY EVER play the same WTA tour events. This is most likely an EXCUSE so that Serena can play LA and not worry about running into Venus in the draw.

TomTennis
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Maybe Venus is injured but don't people realize the sisters RARELY EVER play the same WTA tour events. This is most likely an EXCUSE so that Serena can play LA and not worry about running into Venus in the draw.

I highly doubt that. If she was injury free, Venus would want to play the same event as Serena. They support each other, and we have heard so many times earlier this year about how Venus wants to have Serena around again.

new-york
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:53 PM
If she's not healthy, there's no way i want to see her on court.

Yet, :hysteric:.

Get well. :awww:

Dexter
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:54 PM
big surprise here.

Wannabeknowitall
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:03 PM
I'm not surprised. It was bound one of them would not play.
Chances of Venus being seeded now are slim.

Hakberto
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:14 PM
:sad:

hurricanejeanne
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:23 PM
I hope Venus can play Montreal. She needs the points.

And I really really hope that Lindsay and Serena do play. :scared:
And that those two are no where near one another in the draw.

volta
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:26 PM
i was expecting this i had a feeling Vee would pull out but Rena would play so its all good :D

rest those wrists and talk about bad luck just when she returns to the tour she gets injuried again :sad:

PatrickRyan
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:31 PM
very upset that shes not playing, but happy serenas playing!

Il Primo!
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Someone jinxed her earlier this day!:devil: Expected. Disapointoing. I'm disapointed :sad:

pav
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Venus:( Bepa as well, wrist as well

supergrunt
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:57 PM
I understand; I wouldn't want to play my sister in a first round during her comeback either. :sad:

cometz9
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Venus :bigcry:

dreamgoddess099
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:04 AM
No surprise, I knew that wrist wouldn't have healed enough to play after one week.

vettipooh
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Road Trip my ass!! :rolleyes: C'mon Vee!! Get some therapy for that wrist and get your behind on those courts. I miss her!! :bigcry: It's just not the same without her!! :sad:

lizchris
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:30 AM
At this point, I'd be surprised if she played the US Open.

safinforlife
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Do you think that if Serena loses early (hopefully not) in LA that she will enter into another tournament? I could only see her possibly playing toronto not new haven

tennisbum79
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Is Venus taking this "enjoying life outside tennis" to the extreme?

She hardly played this year, yet she has been seen at a number of social
events looking fit with no reports injuries.
Well, maybe she does not care as much as she used to about rankings and winning titles.
It is hard for fans like me to adjust to Venus as another ordinary
player who rarely reaches the final of events she enters, but it maybe time to just do that.

UDACHi
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:47 AM
:yawn:

50Sense
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:38 AM
I don't get it. Of course if Venus is injured, she shouldn't play. That goes for any player on the WTA Tour.

But how do she keep getting injured?! I don't get it. I don't buy that it's in practice either, because as a 26 year old, Venus should know when enough is enough in practice.

SAEKeithSerena
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:41 AM
not at all surprised, fully expected for her to drop out and for serena to play. best of luck serena!!!!

SelesFan70
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:47 AM
very upset that shes not playing, but happy serenas playing!

We still have Saturday and Sundya to go... :help:

SelesFan70
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:48 AM
I don't get it. Of course if Venus is injured, she shouldn't play. That goes for any player on the WTA Tour.

But how do she keep getting injured?! I don't get it. I don't buy that it's in practice either, because as a 26 year old, Venus should know when enough is enough in practice.

And especially her LEFT wrist? She's not even left-handed. :shrug:

SelesFan70
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:50 AM

She'll play it, then a lot of people on here will be "stunned" when she loses early to a more tournament tough player. :o

CJ07
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:51 AM
And especially her LEFT wrist? She's not even left-handed. :shrug:
Its called a two handed backhand, and an extended history with tendonities and wrist issues.

CJ07
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:57 AM

Well, maybe she does not care as much as she used to about rankings and winning titles.
player who rarely reaches the final of events she enters, but it maybe time to just do that.
This argument makes no sense.

Those social events are at 11 o'clock at night. All she has to do is walk around. What ELSE would she be doing? Watching the golden girls? She's 26 for crying out loud and likes to go out and have fun. I highly doubt the rest of the tour sits around and goes on messageboards during their off-time. They do the same thing everyone else does, go out and have fun. Its just that the press doesn't have an intention of criticizing their every move, so they could care less what they do. But no, the press follows the sisters around.

So Venus attends a premiere, so what? What damage does that do to her left wrist? Waving might hurt, but outside of that I think she can take it easy. Theres a big difference between returning 80 MPH shots to your backhand and sending it back with interest, then putting on make up and actually enjoying your prime instead of wallowing in your own self pity.

I really don't understand why people shit on the sisters for having a life. And stop acting like they owe you something. They don't owe you, me, or anybody else shit. All we are are fans who obsess and carryon over them, when they don't know who the hell we are, nor do they probably care that much, nor should they.

Because its their lives, they do what they want with it, and its not their fault that someone else has nothing else better to do than fawn over them. Quite frankly all these people who criticize the sisters for going out, need to shut up and go out themselves, and indulge in what they criticize the sisters for reaping - life.

tennisbum79
Aug 5th, 2006, 02:00 AM

Those social events are at 11 o'clock at night. All she has to do is walk around. What ELSE would she be doing? Watching the golden girls? She's 26 for crying out loud and likes to go out and have fun. I highly doubt the rest of the tour sits around and goes on messageboards during their off-time. They do the same thing everyone else does, go out and have fun. Its just that the press doesn't have an intention of criticizing their every move, so they could care less what they do. But no, the press follows the sisters around.

So Venus attends a premiere, so what? What damage does that do to her left wrist? Waving might hurt, but outside of that I think she can take it easy. Theres a big difference between returning 80 MPH shots to your backhand and sending it back with interest, then putting on make up and actually enjoying your prime instead of wallowing in your own self pity.

I really don't understand why people shit on the sisters for having a life. And stop acting like they owe you something. They don't owe you, me, or anybody else shit. All we are are fans who obsess and carryon over them, when they don't know who the hell we are, nor do they probably care that much, nor should they.

Because its their lives, they do what they want with it, and its not their fault that someone else has nothing else better to do than fawn over them. Quite frankly all these people who criticize the sisters for going out, need to shut up and go out themselves, and indulge in what they criticize the sisters for reaping - life.

What is all this ranting about?

50Sense
Aug 5th, 2006, 02:13 AM

Don't buy it. Not for one second.

OF COURSE the Williams Sisters can have lives outside of tennis, that is a MUST.

But when you show up to a Grand Slam, there are 127 other females trying to knock you out, and you better be damn sure you are ready to go to battle.

So yeah, Venus and Serena can do whatever they wish to do outside of tennis. But when they choose to play tennis, they have to realize that the other stuff going on has to back seat, if just for a little while.

When you come to a tennis tournament, you are a tennis player. And if you haven't done all that you can to prepare yourself for an event, you deserve to lose.

mykarma
Aug 5th, 2006, 02:44 AM
I imagine she was hoping her wrist would get better.

darrinbaker00
Aug 5th, 2006, 02:47 AM
I imagine she was hoping her wrist would get better.
Instead of hoping her wrist will get better, sweetie, why not make Kerrie Brooks earn her money for once? There has to be some way to wrap Venus' non-dominant wrist so she can play.

faboozadoo15
Aug 5th, 2006, 02:51 AM
she should play in canada, isn't it the only tournament between wimbledon and the us open that she's never won (mostly because she doesn't usually play it)?

she needs a changeup, a new atmosphere.

hopefully her injury heals.

mykarma
Aug 5th, 2006, 02:56 AM
Instead of hoping her wrist will get better, sweetie, why not make Kerrie Brooks earn her money for once? There has to be some way to wrap Venus' non-dominant wrist so she can play.
:help::banghead:

Zauber
Aug 5th, 2006, 02:58 AM
i dont know how you guys still manage to care.

Lulu.
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:05 AM

Ive always wondered about they're trainer. They are always injured its rediculous :rolleyes:

harloo
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:06 AM
We still have Saturday and Sundya to go... :help:

Serena will not pull out of LA. Knock on wood.:tape: :lol:

eugreene2
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:47 AM
Venus must be getting major dough for those WTT tournaments. Last year they made her too tired. This year, she gets injured. I don't see any of the other players playing those stupid WTT tourneys. Venus - get a clue or enjoy the dough. Who cares anymore? I do - that's why I'm writing this paassionate reply. lol

tennnisfannn
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:51 AM

I hear what you are saying and I am a huge Venus fan, no other player makes me feel her losses like she does. I know her ranking has slipped to 33 or so with only 8 events played but I also remmeber a time when even with 6 events she would still have managed a top ten ranking. Mary peirce is at no.9 with one more event and serena at 108 with 8 events played. Things are seriously wrong in the williams clan.
Having said that I don't expect venus to be stuck indoors the whole time she is injured. Just like I do not imagine Capriati has never been to the movies in the last two years. never been to a party, nor to a social or sporting event or out shopping like the williams do, i imagine she has been partying every bit as hard as the williams only difference is, the press seem to be all over the williams girls, it does not mean Jen is any more hurt or any better.

akosijepoy
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:59 AM
i didn't know that her wrist discomfort at wimbledon could lead to this sort of injury...

morningglory
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:11 AM
geez when will we ever see a Venus Vs Serena match again? I miss the drama

serenafan08
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Well at least we have Serena to look forward to! I hope her and Lindsay do really well here...both of them have had lots of success at this tournament in the past.

Brashkoala
Aug 5th, 2006, 07:06 AM
it is unbeliveable how little respect she has for tournaments and the organizers. waiting until the last minute to withdraw again shows such little respect. yeah, you have this injury since wimbledon and yet you decide to play world team tennis. what a lame and bogus excuse. i'll never cheer for her again and i hope this tournament, like san diego, decides to possibly ban her in the future.

santhuruu
Aug 5th, 2006, 07:09 AM
I hope Venus enters New Haven.

supergrunt
Aug 5th, 2006, 07:09 AM
San Diego banned Venus?

supergrunt
Aug 5th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Good their loss. :rolleyes:

Martian Stacey
Aug 5th, 2006, 07:15 AM
San Diego banned Venus?
No, they didn't ban her.

One of the tournament officials expressed their frustration at Venus and Serena's late withdrawals.

But there was no ban. Is that even possible?

Martian Stacey
Aug 5th, 2006, 07:16 AM
I'm starting to think she may not play the US Open now :unsure:

For the moment, i will assume she is still playing there, but it does not look good.

Brashkoala
Aug 5th, 2006, 07:20 AM
San Diego banned Venus?

they didnt exactly ban her, but one of the organizers said that if they committed to the tournament next year the organizers would not allow them to play.

MrSerenaWilliams
Aug 5th, 2006, 08:37 AM
no..they can't do that....they just said, that if they committed, they wouldn't post it on their site....

Venus :tears: get better!

TomTennis
Aug 5th, 2006, 08:40 AM
they didnt exactly ban her, but one of the organizers said that if they committed to the tournament next year the organizers would not allow them to play.

no they never. They said she and Serena could play, but because they draw in so many fans, it is unfair to the fans that they advertise Venus and Serena as playing when they withdraw a few days before the tournament starts, so they said next year if they want to play San Diego, then they can play, but the will not be put on the official entry list until the actual draw is made. I think it is something like that. :wavey:

Viktymise
Aug 5th, 2006, 11:50 AM
:bigcry: get well soon Vee and play Montreal to warm up for USO

SoClose
Aug 5th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Venus :sad:

santhuruu
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:00 PM
I think she will also pull out of Montreal, to let her injury heal so that she can participate at the UsOpen.

DevilishAttitude
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:13 PM
BORINGGGGGGGGG!!! :yawn:

Venus won't play cos she doesn't want to. Wrist problems, my arse :zzz:

If her wrist was so painful, than why did she play Wimby mixed and WTT :confused:

Her pride is very hurt and she feels she can't play :o

olivia100
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:46 PM
BORINGGGGGGGGG!!! :yawn:

Venus won't play cos she doesn't want to. Wrist problems, my arse :zzz:

If her wrist was so painful, than why did she play Wimby mixed and WTT :confused:

Her pride is very hurt and she feels she can't play :o

If she had pulled out of the mix at Wimbeldon she would have been crucify by the like of people like you. She up held her committment to WTT and her mix double and is still being crucify. These ladies damn if they do and damn if they don't....they just can't win. They are doing the right thing going on with their lives and ignoring their critics.

najad
Aug 5th, 2006, 02:10 PM
I'm starting to think she may not play the US Open now :unsure:

For the moment, i will assume she is still playing there, but it does not look good.

:tape: :tape: :help: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Pity that Venus won't play. Fortunetaly there are Serena and Lindsay left :)

le bon vivant
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:12 PM
I hope Serena play.

BigBabeTENNIS
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:37 PM
i dont think we will she venus play again this year

olivia100
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:12 PM
i dont think we will she venus play again this year

She probably should not play the rest of the year and give her wrist enough time to heal. Everytime it feels a little better she plays a tournament and it acts up again. She should just take the rest of the year off and do what it takes to heal her wrist completely before she returns to the tour.

iWill
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:47 PM

Me too i honestly dont see Venus playing the USO unless she plays at montreal and does good enough to get her ranking up there pretty high cuz shes on the verge of not being seeded cuz shes ranked 32 right now!

Paneru
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Venus will be @ the US Open! :cool:

That's why she & Richard have made that
wise choice in keeping her out until her
body is ready.

Venus may or may not be seeded but that
means nothing. Last time she was unseeded
was 97' where she made the finals.

Still say she wins the USO! :angel:

Kenny
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:02 PM
When did she hurt her wrist??

Paneru
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:04 PM
When did she hurt her wrist??
She first spoke of it at Wimbledon.

V-MAC
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Here's hoping for a quick recovery Venus :hug:

Williams-forever
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:48 PM
No surprise here :help:

drive-volley
Aug 5th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Yeah, but it still hurts for some reason :sad: ...

Paneru
Aug 5th, 2006, 08:06 PM
So you'd rather her play
injured and be gone for
some six months again?

Ourania
Aug 5th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Oh shame for Venus, hope she gets better soon :)

donellcarey
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:45 AM
Well,all I can do is pray that Venus will be heathy soon.
Good luck,Venus.
And Serena may give us a shock by her good results, if she stay focus.

vw.
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:55 AM
Venuuuuuuus. Not again.

Come on Venus, show up in Montreal!

Direwolf
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:08 PM
I dont know...
I just think that this would be a very good chance for her to improvise her forehand...
Her injury is on her left wrist right??!!!

-Makiri-
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:15 PM
:sad:

Williams-forever
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:19 PM
So you'd rather her play
injured and be gone for
some six months again?

No, but she's injured all year long. I don't know what's wrong with her or her body. There's always something new...and she may be out for six months even without playing injured...Well, let's hope were gonna see her on court in the very near future.

olivia100
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Venuuuuuuus. Not again.

Come on Venus, show up in Montreal!

If the girl is injured she cannot not play why is it so difficult for you guys to understand that. There's no need for her to go out on the court to play injured and get knock out in the first round or make her injury worse like she did in '03 and was out for 6 months. Is that so difficult to understand...geeze.

starr
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:37 PM
If the girl is injured she cannot not play why is it so difficult for you guys to understand that. There's no need for her to go out on the court to play injured and get knock out in the first round or make her injury worse like she did in '03 and was out for 6 months. Is that so difficult to understand...geeze.

What's difficult to understand is the frequency of the injuries.

olivia100
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:22 PM
What's difficult to understand is the frequency of the injuries.

You comment I can understand. I believe the frequency of the injuries is that she does not give them time to heal before she plays again.