PDA

View Full Version : Why The Russians Dont Like Maria ?

Just Do It
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:11 PM
I realized that Russians dont like Maria, i dont know why..maybe because she is never in Russian, or maybe because her Russian is not fluent.. dont know !

Just Do It
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Sharapova of course :)

Louis Cyphre
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Another great thread :rolleyes:

Derek.
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:15 PM
JustDoIt, wasn't another player your number one yesterday? :o

thrust
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Because they think of Maria as an American, which is in reality, what she really is. How much time does she or her Russian father spend in Russia? Very little, I think.

furrykitten
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:17 PM
:rolleyes:

Just Do It
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:18 PM
[QUOTE=▪Derek▪]JustDoIt, wasn't another player your number one yesterday? :o[/QUOT

She was, She is and She will be my number one 4ever JELENA DOKIC !!!

I'm just curious about Maria !

dizoo
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:34 PM
LOL....not only the russians

Smoothie
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:56 PM
I don't know where you get your information from. Last year MosNews (http://www.mosnews.com/news/2005/12/26/sharapovapoll.shtml) reported that 19 percent of russians voted for Maria Sharapova as their favorite sportsperson. Which made her the most popular sportsperson in the country. The girl in second place, Alina Kabayeva, got 18 percent of the votes.

EDIT: Added link.

mboyle
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:03 PM
because Maria has had the most success, gets the most endorsements, has the nicest house, the most fans and the best looking boyfrend.

The other Russian girls are probably having a bit of the Jan Brady effect...;)

IceHock
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:08 PM
They don't think of her as russian,because she never stayed in russia and trained there she went to america while the other russians Dementieva,Myskina,Safina trained in russia for most of their lives.She hasn't played fed cup for them yet.Anyways really all the russians don't get along because they are competing against eachother in the top ten on a consistent basis.

bellascarlett
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:11 PM
because Maria has had the most success, gets the most endorsements, has the nicest house, the most fans and the best looking boyfrend.

Okay just have to go eww on that one :tape: :spit:...if you are referring to roddick that is...lol...

No Name Face
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:12 PM

fundamentally these are all things associated with capitalist america.
if i was russian (and patriotic about it) i wouldn't like maria either.

bellascarlett
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:17 PM
mostly jealousy....envy...it's a competitive atmosphere they are in whatever way you put it...simple...

all this talk about others not liking her because they dont think she is russian...excuses...

ASV
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:25 PM
shes a phony.

PatrickRyan
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:28 PM
I realized that Russians dont like Maria, i dont know why..maybe because she is never in Russian, or maybe because her Russian is not fluent.. dont know !
she's to american, i loved it when myskina said that if maria played fed cup for russia that she wouldn't

Dani12
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:25 AM
It's funny how all the Sharapova fans say its all just jealousy

The_Pov
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:26 AM
fundamentally these are all things associated with capitalist america.
if i was russian (and patriotic about it) i wouldn't like maria either.

You don't like her anyway :rolleyes:

msharafan
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:27 AM
becasue shes better than them all and theyre jealous! thats it really!

goldenlox
Aug 5th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Saying all Russians like this one, or don't like that one..
that's Mel Gibson type talk.

Everyone has favorites.
Sharapova hasn't reached a slam final in over 2 years.
She's only of interest on a tennis message board,
otherwise, she's very unimportant

Viktymise
Aug 5th, 2006, 02:32 PM
becasue shes better than them all and theyre jealous! thats it really!
Yes because profession sportspeople are that petty, eh no, most of the other Russian grew up playing with each other at the same clubs and at team events and Sharapova didnt, plus she acts like an all American teenager and Russians are very patriotic people knowing their history

hacberto
Aug 5th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Because she think she's all that and she is the only russian that can win a lot of Grand slam , B..i..t..c..h :fiery:

rjd1111
Aug 5th, 2006, 02:36 PM
I don't know where you get your information from. Last year MosNews reported that 19 percent of russians voted for Maria Sharapova as their favorite sportsperson. Which made her the most popular sportsperson in the country. The girl in second place, Alina Kabayeva, got 18 percent of the votes.

So 81% didn't like her.

azinna
Aug 5th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Basically a very high school reaction to Maria suddenly becoming the most popular girl on the block.

Just Do It
Aug 5th, 2006, 02:42 PM
So 81% didn't like her.

:haha:

Thauron
Aug 5th, 2006, 02:58 PM
I don't know where you get your information from. Last year MosNews reported that 19 percent of russians voted for Maria Sharapova as their favorite sportsperson. Which made her the most popular sportsperson in the country. The girl in second place, Alina Kabayeva, got 18 percent of the votes.

And I don't know where you get your info from... :p - this (http://fr.rian.ru/sports/20060324/44762031.html) is a list of the most popular Russian sportswoman from this year's spring, in French though - and as you can see, Sharapova didn't even make the list although 9 athletes (among which three tennis players) were listed.

So I got serious reasons to doubt Sharapova is as popular as you claim in Russia

Dinkie
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:07 PM
And I don't know where you get your info from... :p - this (http://fr.rian.ru/sports/20060324/44762031.html) is a list of the most popular Russian sportswoman from this year's spring, in French though - and as you can see, Sharapova didn't even make the list although 9 athletes (among which three tennis players) were listed.

So I got serious reasons to doubt Sharapova is as popular as you claim in Russia

:lol:
Kournikova, Myskina and Dementieva beat her big time. I guess Maria is only popular with CEO's, gossip journalists and WTA Execs. ;)

Smoothie
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:18 PM
So 81% didn't like her.

Yeah, and by that logic close to 100% didn't like Myskina, Dementieva, Petrova, Kuznetsova, Safina, etc...

Why don't Russians like tennis players?

starr
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:24 PM

The Russians?? All the Russians??? When did they conduct that poll?

And I have no idea why she wouldn't be fluent in Russian. I was fluent in English by the time I was 7, and if I had continued to speak it with my parents after moving to a foreign country, I can't imagine I wouldn't still be fluent. Maybe I wouldnt' know the current slang or expressions, but that doesn't have anything to do with fluency.

goldenlox
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:28 PM
:lol:
Kournikova, Myskina and Dementieva beat her big time. I guess Maria is only popular with CEO's, gossip journalists and WTA Execs. ;)Only WTA Execs and US tennis tv producers :lol:

meyerpl
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:34 PM
The thread starts with a premise that the thread starter can't support. It's like me saying, "I realize that Americans don't like Serena Williams." It's easy to say, but impossible to back-up with facts.

There is no objective evidence that "Russians don't like Maria Sharapova". There is, however, plenty of evidence on this board that a few warped, envious, people take their frustration out on a 19 year-old girl who they've never met, don't know and who's hard work has led to achievements that dwarf anything they'll ever accomplish in their mundane lives.

pav
Aug 5th, 2006, 08:39 PM
I think this herding all of the russians together as a single opinioned group is very simplistic, a couple of them have made catty remarks about Maria, but I can't see that is evidence that they all dislike her.

Derek.
Aug 5th, 2006, 09:05 PM

The other Russian girls are probably having a bit of the Jan Brady effect...;)

Did you just come out of the closet? :eek:

Stamp Paid
Aug 5th, 2006, 09:10 PM
You know how women are.

denisgiann
Aug 5th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Because many of the russian girls are pretty at least one has a grandslam but there is no other who is pretty and with a grandslam and former world no1 and with an overinflated bank account. ;)

Derek.
Aug 5th, 2006, 09:34 PM
You know how women are.

As if you would know what women are like. :rolleyes:

Oh wait, you are one. :tape:

harloo
Aug 5th, 2006, 09:49 PM
I think the other female Russian players really don't like Maria because of a few reasons.

1. She's had more success than them off court.

2. Her father's antic's during a few matchups have been questionable.

3. Considering that a few of the Russian girls won a slam before Maria and did not recieve a fraction of the attention she recieves is another explaination.

4. Some consider her an "Americanized" Russian.

Just Do It
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:04 PM
The thread starts with a premise that the thread starter can't support. It's like me saying, "I realize that Americans don't like Serena Williams." It's easy to say, but impossible to back-up with facts.

There is no objective evidence that "Russians don't like Maria Sharapova". There is, however, plenty of evidence on this board that a few warped, envious, people take their frustration out on a 19 year-old girl who they've never met, don't know and who's hard work has led to achievements that dwarf anything they'll ever accomplish in their mundane lives.

I'm often in Russian and whenever i say SHARAPOVA there they say: i cant stand her she is a BITCH !So, that why i think that they dont like her :)

serena_forever
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Another great thread :rolleyes:
agree :wavey:

lindsayno1
Aug 6th, 2006, 08:02 PM
because shes basically american...

Russianboy90
Aug 6th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Some reporters asked Nastya the same qustion! She said that as long as her father is in the players box or near Masha she'll never talk with her! I don't now what her father said to the other russians but I think it was not nice

Karolina_Sprem
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:13 PM
....you know why...because she is shame of her roots...
Being Russian is nothing bad like she thinks...
Unfortunately being American is bad but she doesnt realize that... Bless her...

There are so many women on the tour like Sharapowa....sad...sad...sad....

thrust
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Sprem- You are an idiot!! It was not Maria^s choice to leave Russia, it was her fathers- Mr super Russian. Even he realized that America is where the opportunity and action was, not Russia or England.

Karolina_Sprem
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Sprem- You are an idiot!! It was not Maria^s choice to leave Russia, it was her fathers- Mr super Russian. Even he realized that America is where the opportunity and action was, not Russia or England.

Thank you very much for your comment (about idiot)...
Not surprised...it comes from American...
Once again..thx a lot...

Vass22
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:59 PM
There's a whole cast of people who don't like Sharapova.
Screamova, turkeypova and other nick names are not russian at all. there are numerous objective/subjective, 'good'/bad reasons why people who made up thsoe nick names dislike her.

Btw. i do allow that other Russian players are a bit bitter about where Maria got herself... IF that's the case, they aren't disliking her becauseuse she's "not really Russian", but because she is one. the idea that she's not really a russian might be soothing in this case.

But as i said, there are other reasons that some people have to dislike Maria, whether they are valid or not.

PS: I'm not big a fan of Maria, but i think that thsi 'not a russian, but american" thing shoudl stop already. She is what she thinks and feels she and so should be left alone. I think that soon enough she'll start getting tired with all the controvercy if not publicity... She's already impatient in some of her interviews. Like the one about money. Hmm i'm offtopic. :o

guyinsf
Aug 7th, 2006, 12:48 AM
2 SIMPLE REASONS: Jealousy of her fame and endorsements but mainly because she's very snotty and not so friendly. These are the reasons why many other players don't like her, not just Russians. I don't think her Russian background has anything to do with it, she could be Brazilian for all they care.

spartakfan
Aug 7th, 2006, 01:14 AM
Alina Kabayeva :hearts: :drool: :hearts: :drool:

cellophane
Aug 7th, 2006, 01:23 AM
I don't know what it is. But the Russians do like Kournikova - at least Myskina does. So if she were bitter about Maria's endorsements or unRussianness, why would she be friends with Anna?

russophile
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:51 AM
yes, why?
it has got to be the personality.

trivfun
Aug 7th, 2006, 03:13 AM
Looking at the Clijsters match in which Maria. The crowd was dead silent as well as the commentators. The fact is Maria's life is the tennis court while Kim has so much variety concerning her personality and outside life. That is why Kim is liked so much. Maria, the only thing she has is that she is a blond and tall. Other than that, she is an Ivan Lendl. Who I like by the way but was considered a robot by John McEnroe.

hwanmig
Aug 7th, 2006, 03:15 AM
2 SIMPLE REASONS: Jealousy of her fame and endorsements but mainly because she's very snotty and not so friendly. These are the reasons why many other players don't like her, not just Russians. I don't think her Russian background has anything to do with it, she could be Brazilian for all they care.

Are you sure? I don't think Elena or Sveta are that shallow to be jealous of Sharapova's money.

fufuqifuqishahah
Aug 7th, 2006, 05:14 AM
Anyways really all the russians don't get along because they are competing against eachother in the top ten on a consistent basis.

that's not true...

----

anyways.... i agree with the 5 million other people on this thread that the russians don't like sharapova because she really isn't russian. in reality,i don't think they dislike her they would just rather not associate themselves with her.

btw..... how do the other russians get along w/ anna k?

Dan23
Aug 7th, 2006, 05:17 AM
that's not true...

----

anyways.... i agree with the 5 million other people on this thread that the russians don't like sharapova because she really isn't russian. in reality,i don't think they dislike her they would just rather not associate themselves with her.

people still dont realise they cant say that...its not up to us to say whether Maria is Russian or not :rolleyes:

Thauron
Aug 7th, 2006, 08:09 AM

Like Cellophane said, Myskina and Kournikova are real good friends - don't know about others.

madame_maria
Aug 7th, 2006, 08:57 AM
here comes bashfest!

it's a pity.

saki
Aug 7th, 2006, 09:13 AM
I thought she was close friends with Kirilenko? ;)

It's not about nationality. Sveta actually applied for Spanish citizenship, lives in Spain, speaks fluent Spanish, has an all Spanish coaching/training team and no-one gives a crap about that.

Armeec
Aug 7th, 2006, 10:53 AM
а русским по барабану...

Armeec
Aug 7th, 2006, 11:20 AM
we have too much tennis-players. We MUST hate someone :)

DavenportForever
Aug 7th, 2006, 11:49 AM
I believe that the Russians dont like Maria Sharapova for 2 reason:

1) Yuri Sharapov, and the way he has been treating the other Russians when versing Maria. Ex: Yuri laughed at Vera Zvonareva when she fell at the WTA Year Ending Championships

2) Maria Sharapova is an "Americanized" woman. She does talk and do things like an American :lol: Rather than a Russian.

However, only 1 Russian does like Sharapova...

:lol: :lol: Kirilenko :lol: :lol:

RR-87
Aug 7th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Sharapova is too popular :o

Every russian knows her and it puts other great players like Dementieva, Myskina, Zvonareva to shadow. :(

Martyś
Aug 7th, 2006, 12:39 PM

Every russian knows her and it puts other great players like Dementieva, Myskina, Zvonareva to shadow. :(
I don't think you should blame Maria for that. :rolleyes: Really. It's getting unhealthy.

Dementinator
Aug 7th, 2006, 12:45 PM
like i said ,shes a great player ,no arguments there.....

KBdoubleu
Aug 7th, 2006, 01:16 PM
i think there are a number of reasons why Maria is not close with the other top russian players

1-She is younger than the rest of the Russians, and I assume there is a vast level of maturity differential from the time your 19 to 23-24 (not there yet lol)
2-Her father is pretty much an ass...there has been a number of instances where he has shown disrespect to other Russian players (Petrova, Myskina, and Zvonareva come to mind)
3-There is probably some jealousy held by the other Russians because Maria has so many endorsement deals, and they may feel her financial success is a product of her beauty rather than tennis ability.
4-Whether she or her fans like to admit it or not, Maria is a very Americanized person...Myskina once said that Maria speaks Russian with a coarse American accent.
5-Though I am not faulting her for this (as it has one her lots of matches), Maria's on-court behavior can be disrepectful and cold which I assume would not win over a ton of friends.

The_Pov
Aug 7th, 2006, 01:33 PM
"a total piece of crap" :unsure:
Like anyone else here you wouldnt know a thing about her...let alone enough to say something like that

People think that her on court personality is the same as her off court one, which isn't true. If you saw after she won yesterday when she threw her towel into the crowd and played with the cameras, you can see she's a different person.

She even told Kim that she didn't want her to retire because she is such a great player.

cellophane
Aug 7th, 2006, 01:40 PM
As far as her popularity in Russia, I think she placed second or third in the the poll for most popular Russian female athlete. I think she is actually a lot more liked in Russia than Kournikova.

groenefeldeffect
Aug 7th, 2006, 01:48 PM
I have to agree with what Dan said. You personally may have had a bad encounter with her, I do not know, but unless you travel with her and know her fully, which nobody here does I believe, you cannot judge her. Character assumptions cannot be made on one experience, and in the spotlight will most likely be totally different to out of it.

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 7th, 2006, 01:49 PM
I thought she was close friends with Kirilenko? ;)

It's not about nationality. Sveta actually applied for Spanish citizenship, lives in Spain, speaks fluent Spanish, has an all Spanish coaching/training team and no-one gives a crap about that.

Spain isnt the :devil: though is it :wavey:

anyways Tennis is a pretty minor sport in Russia.

miffedmax
Aug 7th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Lena D. goes with the old "She lives in Florida and I don't really know her" line. I think there's an element of truth in that. But you can also tell from her body language that Lena hates to lose to Masha.

(I hate it, too, actually).

goldenlox
Aug 7th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Lena D likes to goof on Maria

jayzbee
Aug 7th, 2006, 05:02 PM
hey! well i have good sources im really good friends with some of the russian players .and i tell u maria sharapova distance herself with the russians, except for maria kirilenko. Majority of my friends told me she's always been like that(masha k) .thanks to her father, excuse my language, happens to be a f******a**hole! Shes entitled because she's maria sharapova! but as far as im concern, she's not all that! i saw the finals live in sd, Kim was just amazing! inside out!

mashamaniac
Aug 7th, 2006, 05:07 PM
:) i tell u...all russian girls including petrova and myskina plus some others are envy about masha and her beauty just cuz all ppl focus on her for her tennis and commercial advertises!

densuprun
Aug 7th, 2006, 05:08 PM

The name for your feeling is jealousy.

No.1Hingis
Aug 7th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Well... I really havent clues that russian hate her or dislike her.. not trust ones..

She is not exactly one of my choices in most cases, sure she is not.. BUT..

Well, if she wanna to live in USA let the girl to do it.. if they support all MKT over her... really guys.. I would take it too.. At time she doesnt look at citizenship and make that public, she is russian living in USA.. people who has to move up to another country cause their job doesnt mean is not polite or is refusing their countries..

Now, the main stuff is.. let's assume she is hated from russian people cause they think she is an American product and should be more nationalistic if she wanna to calll herself Russian girl.. even, she isnt hit from that, she gets a lot of fans from all over the world, and actually is young.. maybe sometime she will play into American Fed Cup Team, or.. maybe not... who knows.. I guess, the "what people feels in Russia" had never really influenced in what she does or says.. so..
WHY russians dislike her.. .. there's a WHY.. there's MY hypotetic answer .. maybe logic.. but.. We cant blame her for choose what she think is the best from her carrer..

What would you do if you have those opportunities and support right there on corner? Im seeing you..

terjw
Aug 7th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Some reporters asked Nastya the same qustion! She said that as long as her father is in the players box or near Masha she'll never talk with her!

Exactly. Mind you I don't think Nastya likes Maria anyway because sha also said all that extra stuff she added about her sounding like an American when she speaks Russian. However she did in the end say she was OK with Maria.

But it's really her father she objects to.

Carmen Mairena
Aug 7th, 2006, 07:43 PM
I also hated a "Spanish" world champion swimmer... He couldn't speak proper Spanish at all... :retard:

People that can't speak their "homeland"'s languages doesn't deserve to be welcomed by the crowd... :rolleyes:

Just Do It
Aug 8th, 2006, 11:00 AM
I also hated a "Spanish" world champion swimmer... He couldn't speak proper Spanish at all... :retard:

People that can't speak their "homeland"'s languages doesn't deserve to be welcomed by the crowd... :rolleyes:

:help:

The_Pov
Aug 8th, 2006, 11:04 AM

I know what you mean, I can't speak english and I don't expect to be accepted by me homeland.

Mother_Marjorie
Aug 8th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Oh, I'm sure there's a whole lotta jealously by the Russians when it comes to Maria because she hit the jackpot and they didn't.

You can look at Clijsters face and tell she's jealous of Justine everytime JHH sends her to trophy ceremony as the runner-up, or boots her out of the semi's.

So yes, there are probably a few patriotic rumblings between the young women.

Ksenia.
Aug 8th, 2006, 12:03 PM
I don't know. That's shame. Anyway, I'm russian and I love Maria ;)

Talia
Aug 8th, 2006, 01:32 PM
I'm russian and I like Maria a lot. Moreover all of my friends like her or at least don't hate her. In fact I don't really care where Maria lives and how well she speaks russian (by the way her russian is rather fluent, but she has some accent. Not only American, but also because she and her family are not from Moscow and many regions in Russia have their specific accent, that can sound "not native" for moscovite Myskina). I am grateful for Maria that she plays for my country (I don't mean FedCup, I mean she has (RUS) above her name in all the single tournaments). I think noone can judge how americanized or how russian she is. Russian people as all others can be very different, there are a lot of russians who like money and succes like Maria and a lot of people of other types. She has russian citizenship and not going to change it. This fact alone means a lot. Anyway, even if she changed for american I would not hate her, cause I believe she has a great personality no mater what passport she has.
If to speak about all russian people, of course there are some who hate her, but they are those who don't really follow tennis, who just read some shity yellow russian press that published a lot of shity articles about "second Kournikova" several years ago.
What about the poll "The most popular russian athlete", trust me, Maria's 19% is a great result as tennis is not the most popular sport in Russia and we have a lot of other great athletes in other sports (figure skating, skiing etc).
To prove russian people like Masha I can also tell you that in our most popular russian tennis forum Masha's thread is the biggest one and she has a lot of fans there, I guess more than Myskina and Dementieva or at least not less.
Sorry for my terrible English... :sad:

Junex
Aug 8th, 2006, 01:41 PM
I'm often in Russian and whenever i say SHARAPOVA there they say: i cant stand her she is a BITCH !So, that why i think that they dont like her :)

you know that is a lie...a big big lie..... :fiery:

Junex
Aug 8th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Like Cellophane said, Myskina and Kournikova are real good friends - don't know about others.

duh...Myskina has a GS and Anna K doesn't so it would be easier for the a Myskina to be friends with Anna K than let's say Maria S. who have won Wimbledon...!

and let's face it...the bitterness and hatred we have heard friom anastasia towards maria only came when maria won wimbledon and become the most popular russian tennis athlete...

in Indian wells (or Miami) 04, where she was asked about maria she has all but high praise about her but after that wimbledon thriumph, what has came out of her mouth about Maria was all bitchiness.

Lets face it, Myskina has a jealous complex about the other russians and as long as they can't surpass her accomplishement she is friends with them...

PS:
Good thing about Maria being in the US is that she is the most consistent among the russians...that is why they hated here...

Petrova never trained in Russia even Svetalana,,, so my point to those who say's the other russians hated Maria because she never trained in russia! :rolleyes:

Junex
Aug 8th, 2006, 02:02 PM
I'm russian and I like Maria a lot. Moreover all of my friend like her or at least don't hate her. In fact I don't really care where Maria lives and how well she speaks russian (by the way her russian is rather fluent, but she has some accent. Not only American, but also because she and her family are not from Moscow and many regions in Russia have their specific accent, that can sound "not native" for moscovite Myskina). I am grateful for Maria that she plays for my country (I don't mean FedCup, I mean she has (RUS) above her name in all the single tournaments). I think noone can judge how americanized or how russian she is. Russian people as all others can be very different, there are a lot of russians who like money and succes like Maria and a lot of people of other types. She has russian citizenship and not going to change it. This fact alone means a lot. Anyway, even if she changed for american I would not hate her, cause I believe she has a great personality no mater what passport she has.
If to speak about all russian people, of course there are some who hate her, but they are those who don't really follow tennis, who just read some shity yellow russian press that published a lot of shity articles about "second Kournikova" several years ago.
What about the poll "The most popular russian athlete", trust me, Maria's 19% is a great result as tennis is not the most popular sport in Russia and we have a lot of other great athletes in other sports (figure skating, skiing etc).
To prove russian people like Masha I can also tell you that in our most popular russian tennis forum Masha's thread is the biggest one and she has a lot of fans there, I guess more than Myskina and Dementieva or at least not less.

:worship: :worship:

Dan23
Aug 8th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I'm russian and I like Maria a lot. Moreover all of my friend like her or at least don't hate her. In fact I don't really care where Maria lives and how well she speaks russian (by the way her russian is rather fluent, but she has some accent. Not only American, but also because she and her family are not from Moscow and many regions in Russia have their specific accent, that can sound "not native" for moscovite Myskina). I am grateful for Maria that she plays for my country (I don't mean FedCup, I mean she has (RUS) above her name in all the single tournaments). I think noone can judge how americanized or how russian she is. Russian people as all others can be very different, there are a lot of russians who like money and succes like Maria and a lot of people of other types. She has russian citizenship and not going to change it. This fact alone means a lot. Anyway, even if she changed for american I would not hate her, cause I believe she has a great personality no mater what passport she has.
very nice 1st post :yeah:

goldenlox
Aug 8th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Myskina - "Maria and Anna ... they have a goal to be popular here (in America)," she said. "I have a goal to be popular in my country, and I am. They cheer for me there. For me, that means a lot. I want to help people in Russia and be there for them."

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060718/SPT/607180394/1062

Junex
Aug 8th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Myskina - "Maria and Anna ... they have a goal to be popular here (in America)," she said. "I have a goal to be popular in my country, and I am. They cheer for me there. For me, that means a lot. I want to help people in Russia and be there for them."

But who is myskina to talk about Maria & Anna's goals in life...

To me that statement alone shows how bitter Anastasia is of the successes of her fellow russian abroad and that by that statement she is just making up excuses of why she should be hailed as greater over them in russia.

Talia
Aug 8th, 2006, 02:39 PM

Don't you see that saying this Myskina is flirting with russian fans? It's her right but in fact it's just words. If Maria says something like that everyone will just love her :worship:.
For me it's clear why Myskina don't like Maria. In 2004 she was the strongest russian player, she was number one in Russia, she was the first to win GS. And then out of nowhere came Maria with even more impressive results and beat her in 2004 Champs. After that Maria's career only goes up and Nastya's went down :sad: So imho when Nastya blames Masha for not being russian she only tries to look better somehow in the eyes of russian fans. Something like: I am not as good as Maria now, but, look, I am real russian and she is not. By the way it works for some people.

goldenlox
Aug 8th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Don't you see that saying this Myskina is flirting with russian fans? It's her right but in fact it's just words. If Maria says something like that everyone will just love her :worship:.
For me it's clear why Myskina don't like Maria. In 2004 she was the most strong russian player, she was number one in Russia, she was the first to win GS. And then out of nowhere came Maria with even more impressive results and beat her in 2004 Champs. After that Maria's career only goes up and Nastya's went down :sad: So imho when Nastya blames Masha for not being russian she only tries to look better somehow in the eyes of russian fans. Something like: I am not as good as Maria now, but, look, I am real russian and she is not. By the way it works for some people.This is all bull crap. Nastya is friends with Kournikova, and she lumped her in with Sharapova.

People who claim jealousy are just being obtuse.
Nastya is making a relevant point

Just Do It
Aug 11th, 2006, 12:27 PM
For me it's clear why Myskina don't like Maria. In 2004 she was the strongest russian player, she was number one in Russia, she was the first to win GS. And then out of nowhere came Maria with even more impressive results and beat her in 2004 Champs. After that Maria's career only goes up and Nastya's went down :sad: So imho when Nastya blames Masha for not being russian she only tries to look better somehow in the eyes of russian fans. Something like: I am not as good as Maria now, but, look, I am real russian and she is not. By the way it works for some people.

:tape:

Talia
Aug 28th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Who said they don't like each other :lol: ?
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/7504/russiangirls3uv2nugz3.jpg (http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?image=russiangirls3uv2nugz3.jpg)

Lady
Aug 28th, 2006, 01:30 PM
I'm russian and I like Maria a lot. Moreover all of my friends like her or at least don't hate her. In fact I don't really care where Maria lives and how well she speaks russian (by the way her russian is rather fluent, but she has some accent. Not only American, but also because she and her family are not from Moscow and many regions in Russia have their specific accent, that can sound "not native" for moscovite Myskina). I am grateful for Maria that she plays for my country (I don't mean FedCup, I mean she has (RUS) above her name in all the single tournaments). I think noone can judge how americanized or how russian she is. Russian people as all others can be very different, there are a lot of russians who like money and succes like Maria and a lot of people of other types. She has russian citizenship and not going to change it. This fact alone means a lot. Anyway, even if she changed for american I would not hate her, cause I believe she has a great personality no mater what passport she has.

C'mon, your English is far from terrible, stop being modest. ;)

And big WORD to your whole post, cause that's the truth. ;)
And yes, I'd say that Maria's forum is the biggest one.

Talia
Aug 29th, 2006, 01:28 PM
I'll put my life to prove it's not true :lol:

From the interview after 2-nd round match at Australian Open 2005

Q. There's been a lot of talk about the positive test, obviously, in the last few days. Have you spoken to Dementieva or Kuznetsova about that?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: No, actually, I haven't seen too much of them today. I saw Svetlana today, but we were talking and joking about things, yeah.

BMP
Aug 29th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Well, I live in Russia, and many people with whom I discussed tennis said they didn't consider Maria to be "theirs". She didn't live much in Russia, doesn't know much about it as she said herself in one interview for Russian spotr newspaper. In Russia a lot of people are anti-American, tend to deride everything that is "American", consider the US a main rival. :lol: Also, in Russia the quality of life is pretty low (ranked 62th by Human development index), not counting Moscow & St. pb, and people do little about it, so it stirs up real envy that their compatriot who once was just like them ,were able to earn millions of bucks , besides, escaping to the US. Also, many people (apparently ignorant) think that playing tennis and modelling is nothing difficult, just about playing with a racket and posing in front of cameras, so there is an opinion that she gained such a wealth only due to her pretty face.
And it's true that her Russian isn't good, no accent but grammatical and stylistic errors.

I'm not "bashing" her, I just gave an opinion, that's all.

BMP
Aug 29th, 2006, 02:21 PM
She has russian citizenship and not going to change it. This fact alone means a lot. Anyway, even if she changed for american I would not hate her
I hear that often and it's funny, because in fact for Russian people (or Ukrainian) obtaining the American citizenship doesn't cancel their initial one. I know a lot of my compatriots who have 2 passports. It's more comfortable than to have a green card which requires changing it periodically, gives more opportunities.

Wayn77
Aug 29th, 2006, 02:26 PM
With soo many top Russian woman around, what is the atmosphere like when they are playing at home in the Fed Cup for example? Must be electric - and who are the crowd favourites (the Muscovites - Dementieva) and not-so favourites?

Could Moscow stage a full-scale Master? I think it is time they had one. Is there the public interest?

Talia
Aug 30th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Also, many people (apparently ignorant) think that playing tennis and modelling is nothing difficult, just about playing with a racket and posing in front of cameras, so there is an opinion that she gained such a wealth only due to her pretty face.

Totally agree with you at this point. This is the reason why some Russians don't like her, I guess.
Well, I live in Russia, and many people with whom I discussed tennis said they didn't consider Maria to be "theirs". In Russia a lot of people are anti-American, tend to deride everything that is "American", consider the US a main rival.
Well, and I've heard a lot of people saying quite oposite things :angel: .
And by the way don't you hear russian voices during her matches - "Masha, davai" etc. Maria said in one of the interview she always hear russian fans and it help her to step up in the matches.
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/8180/1ys4.jpg (http://img207.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1ys4.jpg)