PDA

View Full Version : Schnyder lobs, volleys and dropshots her way past Dementieva 6-4 6-3

borisy
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:58 PM
:worship:

Perfection
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:59 PM
:rolleyes: Elena... how can you lose to this freakshow?

fer_86
cool :bounce:

Aaron.
Patty :) :banana:

Philip
Wahooooo! :D
Good show from Patty.

:bounce:

-sugi-
Lena :sad: :( :hug:

Patty played really well

iPatty
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:00 PM
oh my godddd!!!! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

i never thought patty would beat lena on hardcourts. she played good, but i know she can play ten times better.

good luck in the semifinals!!!!! :eek: :eek: :hearts:

so excited.

Dementinator
bollocks!!

oh well ,lenas serving stats strangely were excelent , 4 aces 1 Df and 75% first serves in ,patty too tricky today ,there we go...quite a close match.. there will be a next time...

Dexter
Lena :retard: 1 DF & 4 aces and you lose? :o

new-york
lolz @ the title intention.

Viktymise
:sad: lena could have made top 5 again, she only hit 2dfs and lost in straights :o id much rather shed hit like 10 dfs a match, anyway good luck in LA schnyder is gonna lose to either Sharapova or Pierce anyway

Ellery
Well done Patty :yeah: :worship: :kiss:

faboozadoo15
patty looked to be in impressive form! she played so many angles.

elena was shit, other than her serve. she's such a paradox. what happened to her groundies?!?!?!

partbrit
I said Patty in 2. I'm feeling kind of smug.

nouf
lena :-/

one hq
http://img431.imageshack.us/img431/135/demyn7.th.jpg (http://img431.imageshack.us/my.php?image=demyn7.jpg)

LeRoy.
Patty must have played some great tennis or Elena must have really sucked coz thats :eek:

iPatty
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:01 PM
elena dementieva, you've been SCHNYDERSLAPPED. :worship:

sorry dementinator. :hug:

borisy
Patty played exceptional imo...

Looks like ElenaD is really the weakest link in top 10.

alwayshingis
The best serving and worst groundstrokes I have seen from Elena in a LONG time.

Just Do It
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:02 PM

:tape:

jochem
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah I saw the match live and despite the UE (21 for Schnyder and 40 for Dementieva) in the match it was a pretty entertaining match because Schnyder really played smart and fun to watch tennis... Lena seemed erratic to me, I don't know why maybe she just needs to find her top form again but Schnyder fully deserved the win as she simply played a much better match today!!!!!!!!!!! Go Patty!!!!!!!!!!

iPatty
:sad: lena could have made top 5 again, she only hit 2dfs and lost in straights :o id much rather shed hit like 10 dfs a match, anyway good luck in LA schnyder is gonna lose to either Sharapova or Pierce anyway

there was really no reason to add that last part, especially since she just kicked lena's ass. :rolleyes:

Hantuchov
Congrats, Patty !! :yeah: :worship:

Dementieva's game still stucked...just won one more game since their last meeting in Paris. It seems Patty's got her number :o

Now I hope the Russians keep on losing today :)

vutt
lol! So who is the weakest link in top 10 now? ;)

Congrats Patty!

alwayshingis
Patty played exceptional imo...

I disagree. She basically just rallied and waited for Elena to make errors.

Océane
:sad: Elena !
40 unforced error :/

Martyś
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Changing socks didn't help this time :sobbing:

hablo
Is anyone uploading this match ?

hurricanejeanne
The best serving and worst groundstrokes I have seen from Elena in a LONG time.

ditto, it was wierd, what a bizarre tradeoff for her.
congrats Patty.

SelesFan70
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Patty! :devil:

!Gio!
Dementieva was playing very passively, she let Schnyder dictate play, that was the problem, she wasnt playing like a top 10 player

oakkao
Patty SHOULD beat Elena :shrug: :o

borisy
I disagree. She basically just rallied and waited for Elena to make errors.

I guess you didn't watch the match. Even the commentators told how well Patty played.

Ballbasher
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Lena :help: So bad groundies :o

!Gio!
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:05 PM
this pisses me off I wanted Elena to win, but she just wasnt playing today excellent serve and the rest was shit, if it wasnt for her serve she would have lost 6-2 6-1

alwayshingis
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:06 PM
I guess you didn't watch the match. Even the commentators told how well Patty played.

I did watch the match actually.

Oh wow, the commentators said it...then it MUST be true.

Martyś
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Patty played really well in the first set.

But the second one was an UEs show by Elena.

UDACHi
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:07 PM
when elena serves well, she rarely wins. i'm really really disappointed, but i guess i shouldn't be. the mediocre us open series results continue.

!Gio!
Patty SHOULD beat Elena :shrug: :o

Patty played like Patty!!! ;) consistent patty groundstrokes.

jochem
ditto, it was wierd, what a bizarre tradeoff for her.
congrats Patty.

Not so strange IMO... Basically everyone knows that when Lena hits 10+ DF she's pushed to show her best groundies and still come out on top after 2h+ . When her serve is going well I guess she doesn't feel enough pressure on the rest of her game so she doesnt come up with her normally so impressive groundstrokes... :(

LUXXXAS
goopia Elena! :banghead: great serve but groundstrokes :help::tape::rolleyes:
congrats Patty-really good match :)

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:09 PM
rather have Lena serving 20 DF's and winning
than what she did today :help:

Dexter
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:09 PM
:rolleyes: Elena... how can you lose to this freakshow?gotta give you thousand goodreps :kiss: :lol:

Derek.
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Elena. :sad: :o

I had a feeling Patty would win this match.

Congrats Patty! :yeah:

iPatty
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:10 PM
I did watch the match actually.

Oh wow, the commentators said it...then it MUST be true.

they said that the first set was full of great stuff, which we didn't get to see. i agree, the second set was just unforced error after unforced error from both. patty was moving badly and lena looked like she didn't care at the end.

oh well.

TiK-Tee
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Lena:sad:

Il Primo!
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Well done Patty!!She proved she deserved her place in the elite more than Dementieva, finally ;)

UDACHi
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:13 PM
i also don't understand why elena didn't challenge that call at 5-3 15-0 in the second. does anyone know how many challenges she had left at that point?

Philip
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:16 PM
The court was playing so slow, that hurt Elena, and helped Patty.
It seemed to me that Elena was playing too much to Patty's forehand, her strength.
Patty was doing some great defence... in the first Elena seemed impatient to rally...
Elena was playing the same if not more junk shots as patty.. letting her dominate.

Well, i enjoyed it :p

Beny
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Firstly, i disagree with the name of this thread:...dropshots her way past Dement.
Patty played maybe two dropshots and one of them Lena get back with a cross backhand winner...
Patty must have played some great tennis or Elena must have really sucked coz thats
I would say Lena sucked. Okay serve was very good today,excellent. But there were 40 UEs and a very poor backhand ..someone has said recently,some member of this forum that Lena`s backhand is much more consistant than her FH and she doesn`t make a lot of mistakes from BH. He should have seen this match :(

The best serving and worst groundstrokes I have seen from Elena in a LONG time
Yeah, I agree.

btw.some of you certainly remember when Patty said that she had problems with lena`s slice serves because they are going to her backhand.So Lena didn`t risk those second serves that much today.They were slow and easy to attack by a right hander..Patty didn`t attack lena`s second serve...Anyway Patty won.

I`m rather disappointed...mainly with her backhand..of course there were also forehand mistakes by lena but not as many...
Patty didn`t play her best but she didn`t start making mistakes in the middle of the match as she sometimes does.(their 2005 Charleston SF)
There were too many UEs in the match..

Congrats Patty, if there`s Masha in the semifinal,please,kick her ass.

Dementinator
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Well done Patty!!She proved she deserved her place in the elite more than Dementieva, finally ;)

when patty makes two GS finals I will agree ,until then total bollocks.. pattys an excelent player ,but I still maintain Lenas better ,the H2H is pretty even after all ...

hablo
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:19 PM
when patty makes two GS finals I will agree ,until then total bollocks.. pattys an excelent player ,but I still maintain Lenas better ,the H2H is pretty even after all ...
Lena has to find good balance between serving well and keeping her groundstrokes fierce ;)
Maybe she was experimenting during this match or something?

Beny
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:21 PM
The court was playing so slow, that hurt Elena, and helped Patty.
It seemed to me that Elena was playing too much to Patty's forehand, her strength.
Patty was doing some great defence... in the first Elena seemed impatient to rally...
Elena was playing the same if not more junk shots as patty.. letting her dominate.

Well, i enjoyed it :p
Very good post.It`s so objective even when it`s from a Pattyfan.

You`re right.Lena played too much to Patty`s forehand side!!
Why didn`t Lena play like she did at US Open 2005..??:shrug:

Beny
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:22 PM
i also don't understand why elena didn't challenge that call at 5-3 15-0 in the second. does anyone know how many challenges she had left at that point?
Both two..since she didn`t challenge in the second set once

UDACHi
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Both two..since she didn`t challenge in the second set once

it looked out, but she shoulda challenged anyway. nothing to lose at that point.

tterb
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:24 PM
patty looked to be in impressive form! she played so many angles.

elena was shit, other than her serve. she's such a paradox. what happened to her groundies?!?!?!
Elena's backhand was no match for those angles off Patty's forehand. I think Elena's overall groundstrokes are a bit overrated, myself. She hits her backhand in such strange positions at times, and she can have real trouble directing it. But great strategy by Patty today.

I think by now people should realize that Dementieva's problem isn't so much her serve as it is her head. When she's on, she has excellent groundstrokes, but when she's off, they're hideous.* Her serve is a major weakness, but so is her inconsistency... You never know if she'll be aggressive or passive, whether she'll hit a boatload of screaming winners or tons of godawful errors. For that matter, you never know when she'll fight her way through a tough three-setter (see: Indian Wells SF '06) or fold in a rout (Indian Wells F '06). And that's all in her head.

Anyway, congrats to Patty on a solid win. :D Keep that forehand and some of those lefty serves up for next round, and good luck!

* Edit: Of course Elena has a solid game overall, and her fight and groundies are more than adequate to keep her in the top 10 and beating those ranked below her. I just mean that, to me, her head is the main reason she doesn't beat top players and win big titles more often.

fufuqifuqishahah
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:26 PM
maybe Elena wasn't shit and patty just played intelligently :shrug:

CrossCourt~Rally
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:27 PM
:woohoo: patty, patty :rocker:

Beny
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:27 PM
I don`t think the serve is her weakness anymore.
If someone told me before the match: Lena will hit 4 aces and only one DF but she will lose in two to Patty, I wouldn`t believe.

Patty won in two! stright sets.not even 75 or 76..the problem is not in the serve at all.
But with 40 UEs in a two set match it`s obvious that the player loses. I think today the loss has a simple explaination: 40 Unforced errors

terjw
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Great play and win Patty. :)

Eleanor just seemed to get frustrated that she couldn't put Patty away. The courts are playing very slow. There were loads of rallies where for four or five shots Eleanor put everything she could into four or five consecutive shots and the ball lost all its pace after it bounced so Patty had the time to comfortably get to them without even being under pressure. I think Eleanor sort of ran out of ideas.

From the start it looked like Eleanor might blow Patty away. I think she was a bit rattled that she didn't the way she used up her two challenges in the 1st set very early and lost them both. She was still unhappy pointing at the ground even after she'd lost her 2nd challenge.

Beny
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:31 PM
I`m off to watch Pierce..will come back..Bye for now.

Yes, lena wanted to dictate but couldn`t find the right way...and ran out of ideas..

Slumpsova
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:09 PM
i'm sorry but Dementieva is just hopeless :help: how can she lost to Patty on hardcourt? :tape:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Very dissapointing defeat for Elena. When that happens I feel very sad :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Highlandman
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Schnyder :woohoo:

blumaroo
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Patty was rock solid. Mixing it up and defending very well. Elena just couldn't find an opening. She was a bit erratic but her game is very risky and quite one dimensional. And today it just didn't work. The serve was excellent though. I was waiting for the DF and they just didn't come.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:40 PM
What a boring match to watch. Too many UE from Elena's side. She started really well, finished horribly.

Diesel
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Go Patty! :clap2:

Uranus
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Patty's game is obviously bothering Elena a lot.
I knew she was going to win it in 2 sets, just like she did in Paris in February.

.ivy.
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Lena :sad: do well in LA!

bellascarlett
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:55 PM
oh lena....what happened?!

Beny
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:02 AM
oh lena....what happened?!
40 unforced errors :help:

strawberry.babou
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Ok, I'm sad now.

cometz9
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Lena :tape: :help: she looked so out of it near the end, too many errors.
Great Job Patty, another fine week good luck in the SF.

LegionArgentina
Aug 5th, 2006, 02:40 AM
Go Patty

SAEKeithSerena
Aug 5th, 2006, 02:41 AM
proved me wrong! nice job patty

Sharapova's_Boy
Aug 5th, 2006, 02:50 AM
Lena :sad: :sad: :sad:

iPatty
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:45 AM
40 unforced errors :help:

please stop saying that. the way that patty's shot's kick off of the court, combined with the sidespin she gets on her shots, a lot of those errord shouldn't be considered unforced errors. when you're hitting a ball above your shoulders, and trying to go down the line with it, that's a forced error.

fOxYLiCiOuS
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:51 AM
Lena Lena Lena :sad: :sad: Dissapointing loss! :mad:

Patty :) :worship:

WonderfulLee
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:50 AM
good job Patty...will be great if u beat Maria tommorow!

morningglory
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:52 AM
:banghead: I knew the 3-set queen would have to go down in str8's :banghead:
when she serves like crap she still manages to win, when she only has 1 df, she loses! WTH :o

morningglory
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:54 AM
please stop saying that. the way that patty's shot's kick off of the court, combined with the sidespin she gets on her shots, a lot of those errord shouldn't be considered unforced errors. when you're hitting a ball above your shoulders, and trying to go down the line with it, that's a forced error.
no, that's unforced, since you refused to hit cross-court and went for the more agressive option. you can say the shot was going for too much. but it's still in the strictest sense unforced.

-Makiri-
Aug 5th, 2006, 11:42 AM
:sad:

*JR*
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:30 PM
no, that's unforced, since you refused to hit cross-court and went for the more agressive option. you can say the shot was going for too much. but it's still in the strictest sense unforced.
Demented may be the most stubborn high-ranked player in years. (As evidenced by that article a few months ago where she said she'd just try to win a Slam with her present serve than change it). Her best shot is her inside-out fh. Never mind that it goes to PP's fh, which is far better than her bh. Lena was either going to win or lose hitting what she prefers, regardless of what works against a given opponent. :rolleyes:

vogus
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Demented may be the most stubborn high-ranked player in years. (As evidenced by that article a few months ago where she said she'd just try to win a Slam with her present serve than change it). Her best shot is her inside-out fh. Never mind that it goes to PP's fh, which is far better than her bh. Lena was either going to win or lose hitting what she prefers, regardless of what works against a given opponent. :rolleyes:

Not true. Lena ate Patty alive in the USO R16 last year - she knows EXACTLY how she needs to play against Patty and has spelled it out in interviews. Why she didn't execute yesterday is anybody's guess, but overall her year so far has been crap, so i don't think you can just put it down to having a bad day. And yesterday she served way better than normal, but played like crap off the ground. I'd rather see Lena struggling on serve and hitting 10-15 df's than serving aces but lacking confidence on her groundstrokes, any day of the week.

switz
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:47 PM
I'd rather see Lena struggling on serve and hitting 10-15 df's than serving aces but lacking confidence on her groundstrokes, any day of the week.

even if that means she'll never win a slam? Yes it may be throwing her strengths off a bit now but it's likely that she'll learn to put it all together which will make het a so much more formidable player in the big events in the long run.

vogus
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:01 PM
even if that means she'll never win a slam? Yes it may be throwing her strengths off a bit now but it's likely that she'll learn to put it all together which will make het a so much more formidable player in the big events in the long run.

if only it were that easy to predict. :lol: I honestly feel that Lena can win her first Slam even with the shit serve and that would be the most poetic way for it to happen. There is nobody who can touch her ground game when she hits the zone.

No Name Face
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:02 PM
if only it were that easy to predict. :lol: I honestly feel that Lena can win her first Slam even with the shit serve and that would be the most poetic way for it to happen. There is nobody who can touch her ground game when she hits the zone.

yeah, but she rarely ever reaches that level anymore. :sad:

xXSarajevoXx
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Elena :sad:

squig2k
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Dementieva's serve looked so strangley solid :eek:
But Patty played really well, keeping Dementieva rallying and forcing her to hit long :(

esquímaux
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:11 PM
:rolleyes: Elena... how can you lose to this freakshow?*COMPLETELY DEAD* @ freakshow !!!!! :haha:

iPatty
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:12 PM

death at jordan calling someone a freakshow. :tape:

serena_forever
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:24 PM
lenad