PDA

View Full Version : Who is the biggest disappointment this year so far ?

Just Do It
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:21 PM
I'll go with Ivanovic :help:
I thought she will be in top10 before US OPEN

Ferosh
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Maria Kirilenko

Perfection
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:27 PM
As always, Dementieva..

©@®eLess
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:30 PM
wow so many....Ivanovic,Kirilenko,Mirza....

Jankovic from january to may....

right now Jankovic has stronger chances for the rest of the season then Ana ...who would thought that...

Just Do It
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:33 PM

right now Jankovic has stronger chances for the rest of the season then Ana ...who would thought that...

ya right, i think Jelena will kick Anas ass write now ! :p

Il Primo!
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Venus definitely

hurricanejeanne
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:39 PM
The fact that injuries are still taking their toll on the tour as a whole.

IceHock
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:41 PM
I have to go with Daniela,she's done nothing since her ao win over serena.Just had back to back wins for the first time since sydney at san diego!!So she has been disappointing for me.

No Name Face
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:00 PM
As always, Dementieva..

yup. she cant beat schnyder. nuff said.

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Serena and Lindsay not being able to even compete.

new-york
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:02 PM

i don't think we can say disappointment as she's on the rise. Jelena.
Ana, yeah i would have hoped bigger results.

new-york
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Venus definitely

Well, she played 4 events.

The thing is that the worst result came where it was supposed to be the best one. (Warsaw not counted.)

Dasha_
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Ivanovic and Kirilenko. Unfortunatelly.

Viktymise
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:06 PM
LenaD :bigcry: but hopefully that will change at the USO :D, but also Vee cause she has been injured so much and if she hadnt have been i think she would have back up the wimbledon win

Il Primo!
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Well, she played 4 events.

The thing is that the worst result came where it was supposed to be the best one. (Warsaw not counted.)

Yeah, to me her claycourt season was satisfying, I was kind of happy and had lost of hopes for Wimbledon and teh rest of the season (I even thought she would win Wimbledon and the US Open :tape: ) But Jankovic :o

Enough said, she really disapointed me. I expected her to do much better things..But the season is not done yeat :devil: Hopefully she will prove me wrong

mike/topgun
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:21 PM
injuries are the biggest disappointment of this year....
WS, Davenport, Pierce etc.

Mightymirza
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Lena,Sania,Ivanovic :sad:

Morrissey
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Dementieva, MIrza, Ivanovic, Venus, Serena, Lindsay all dissapointments.

Beny
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Lena won her first Tier-I, that`s not at all disappointing.

For me, it is: Kirilenko, Ivanovic, Venus, Likhovtseva(I don`t mind)

fufuqifuqishahah
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:30 PM
injuries are the biggest disappointment of this year....
WS, Davenport, Pierce etc.

agreed.... (don't forget petrova, serena, etc.)

but other than that... basically US tennis (namely venus, serena, jackson, king, washington)
mirza
peng

for me.

minor disappointments for me are elena, kirilenko, hantuchova, asagoe, schiavone, myskina. these are only minor because its not surprising what is currently happening to them.

Derek.
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:39 PM
For me it's Daniela of course.

After her solid second half of the year in 2005, getting herself back into the top 20, and then starting 2006 so well by getting back into the top 15, I thought she was on track to getting back into the top 10. But now she's stalled again. Thankfully she won back-to-back matches this week in San Diego. That should help her confidence. We'll see how she does in the USO Series.

I also thought Kirilenko and Ivanovic would be ranked higher than they are now. They both were good at beating players they should and getting the occasional upset, but now they are losing to players they shouldn't lose too. I'm sure they'll get back on the right foot though.

Vika Azarenka, I thought would make her jump into the WTA a lot faster than it has been. She's struggling to win close matches and often loses after leading in the match. Maybe it's inexperience, but if it continues, then it isn't a good sign for her.

Mirza has also lost a lot of matches I thought she'd win. I know she's struggled with injuries, but she could be doing a lot better. On the positive side, things seem to be getting better for her.

Aaron.
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Anna-Lena Gronefeld

ezekiel
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Ivanovic, the biggest waste of talent for a year or so . No achivements this year and losing to girls she beat last year . Let's see if a new coach sets her straight

alextim
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:45 PM
ivanovic perhaps ... I was expecting more from her

Vincey!
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Kirilenko,Ivanovic,Venus,Serena :sad:

mboyle
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:51 PM
As always, Dementieva..

Dementieva's been pretty consistent I think. She won a tier 1, finaled at another, and has very few bad losses. She looked injured or sick against Schnyder today, but, otherwise, she has been pretty good all year.

Ivanovic has been very disappointing. She has regressed instead of progressing. She had 0 bad losses last year. So far this year, she has lost to Stosur, Chakvetadze TWICE, Kirilenko and several others to whom she never would have lost last season.

Golovin has disappointed me as well. Every time she gets on a run, she blows her next match or two, and she has lost two or three matches this season after having match points. I don't like that.

Mirza...let's not even talk about Mirza...:tape:

But most of all, Sharapova has not won her second major yet, and she seems bored on court. She doesn't have the same attitude she had at 17. I'm scared.

Morrissey
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:53 PM
So what if Dementieva won a tier I she still doesn't have a SLAM TITLE. And she is now the most talented play to NEVER WON A MAJOR. Mauresmo and Clijsters got the hump off their back. But since Dementieva has such a poor serve I don't see her winning a slam at all. She does well in events but ALWAYS LOSES in the big finals to a top player. And when Dementieva beat Hingis that was like her third or fourth event back after being gone for three years hardly a convicing victory.

alextim
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Dementieva's been pretty consistent I think. She won a tier 1, finaled at another, and has very few bad losses. She looked injured or sick against Schnyder today, but, otherwise, she has been pretty good all year.

Ivanovic has been very disappointing. She has regressed instead of progressing. She had 0 bad losses last year. So far this year, she has lost to Stosur, Chakvetadze TWICE, Kirilenko and several others to whom she never would have lost last season.

Golovin has disappointed me as well. Every time she gets on a run, she blows her next match or two, and she has lost two or three matches this season after having match points. I don't like that.

Mirza...let's not even talk about Mirza...:tape:

But most of all, Sharapova has not won her second major yet, and she seems bored on court. She doesn't have the same attitude she had at 17. I'm scared.

I'm quite agree with your analysis :worship: :worship:

fer_86
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Tati :fiery:

hablo
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:56 PM
:spit:

Alec
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:01 AM
for me, Peng and Mirza.

Derek.
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:03 AM

The good ole mboyle! :D Mr. Critical! :hatoff:

Hayato
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Likhovtseva maybe

No Name Face
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Lena won her first Tier-I, that`s not at all disappointing.

beating no top 10 players and a rusty martina hingis in the final.
tier 1's are child's play btw. she's underperformed at the slams, which is sad. and loses twice in a year to schnyder in straights. :help:

Ballbasher
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Kirilenko :sad:

No Name Face
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:08 AM

i call losing in straight sets (TWICE!) to schnyder, peer, safina (1-6, 1-6 :help: ) golovin (1-6, 2-6), sharapova (twice --- and the sets havent really been close), hingis, schruff...well, that's disappointing to me.

mirzalover
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:11 AM
mirza pierce

peng golovin

venus dokic

LUXXXAS
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Ana :(

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Due to her talent : Elena Dementieva

With the injuries of players like the Williams Sisters, Linzy and Pierce I thought that she would win more titles than 1 and some better than the eight place in the Race to Madrid

Jogi
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:09 AM
Lindsay for me :rain:

GrandSlam05
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:22 AM
Lindsay injured! :(

UDACHi
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:25 AM
i call losing in straight sets (TWICE!) to schnyder, peer, safina (1-6, 1-6 :help: ) golovin (1-6, 2-6), sharapova (twice --- and the sets havent really been close), hingis, schruff...well, that's disappointing to me.

she's had bad losses, but her consistency has improved. people are saying her cause she got smoked by patty.

speaking of her, i think schnyder has underperformed badly.

pierce, mirza, zakopalova, kirilenko.

SAEKeithSerena
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:01 AM
Maria Kirilenko

absolutely agree:rolleyes:

perseus2006
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:13 AM
I have to say the Withdrawal Wumpusi: Venus and Serena!!!

Not because they are injured but because they entered and withdrew from so many tournaments this year. It's not ok with me, as a fan, to be triffled with!!! Yeah, I do feel they owe me something: honesty.

delicatecutter
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:00 AM
Maria Kirilenko

ITA. She's taken some great players to 3s but hasn't been able to win any of them! :sad:

I must say your quote from Sir McKellen is so brilliant and important. Young gays need gay role models out in the public so they know that there is nothing wrong with being gay. There is nothing to be ashamed of. That is why speculative posts about gay tennis players come up. We want to know that there are people out there like us to admire. :worship:

delicatecutter
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:18 AM
Ivanovic hasn't had a bad year in my eyes because it was expected. To go from ranked 100 to ranked 16 in the space of nine or ten months has got to be a shell shock!! She needs time to adjust to her new place in the world of women's tennis.

DutchieGirl
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:23 AM

Elena's head to head with Patty has been even most of the time...so I don't think those losses are that disappointing - the others, maybe, but even losing to Hingis is not that bad.

DutchieGirl
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:28 AM
Ivanovic hasn't had a bad year in my eyes because it was expected. To go from ranked 100 to ranked 16 in the space of nine or ten months has got to be a shell shock!! She needs time to adjust to her new place in the world of women's tennis.

yeah, and she's still top 20, so I don't think it's that bad. OK she might not have done as well as people expected, but how often does that happen, with someone new coming up, and in their second year they don't do so well. (See Sharapova, Kirilenko...) ;)

Leo_DFP
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:42 AM
I have to go with Daniela,she's done nothing since her ao win over serena.Just had back to back wins for the first time since sydney at san diego!!So she has been disappointing for me.

What are you talking about? She made three GS Round of 16s in a row. That is huge for her, the perpetual 3rd round finisher at Slams!

Leo_DFP
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:44 AM
I agree about Ivanovic.

And besides Tokyo, definitely Dementieva. She has lost SO many one-sided matches this year. Getting crushed by the likes of Golovin and Safina, who are frankly nowhere near as talented as she is. Also bad losses to Sharapova, Hingis, Schnyder twice, etc.

And of course Lindsay and Mary playing so sparingly. :sad:

Dani12
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:47 AM
Sania Mirza!

Mana
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:18 AM
For me...

Marina Erakovic: Injurys:(, and shes playing some stupid, stupid tomrnaments atm:o:o:rolleyes:
Leanne Baker: Started the year so so well! (Won first 14 matches, her first loss was to Jamilia (Top 100) 63 36 46) Is now very seriously injured!

Derek.
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:23 AM
What are you talking about? She made three GS Round of 16s in a row. That is huge for her, the perpetual 3rd round finisher at Slams!

Well, if you have been following her results outside of GS's then you'd know what he's talking about. :o

Geisha
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Venus definitely

Amen. Terribly disappointed.

~lollipop_girl~
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:44 AM
I would say all my players with the exception of Martina :worship: Misa, Kim has been ok and Tati is excused coz of the ankle...

Which leaves: Daniela, Ana, Makiri (:help to those three) & Masha (picking it up now thank god!)

DutchieGirl
Aug 5th, 2006, 06:49 AM
I'm really surprised that so many people are disappointed with Ana. Yes, she's 19-11 for the year, but most of her losses have been to top players!

Kuznetsova
Dementieva (2)
Mauresmo (2)
Pertova
Myskina

plua a loss to Kirilenko (earlier in the year when Kirilenko wasn't sucking) and to Chakvetadze.

OK, she hasn't made the top 10, but people have to realise that it's not that darn easy to get into the top 10 (ask Nastya). And she's still a consistant top 20 player. Yes, it owuld be nice if she could move up, but there are alot of players vying for top 20 spots at the moment, let alone top 15 or top 10!

MrSerenaWilliams
Aug 5th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Venus probably.....LOTs of potential...but so far :help:

rrfnpump
Aug 5th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Klara Zakopalova :sad:

azinna
Aug 5th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Venus. She just can't seem to stay healthy (#1 task of a professional player) or get it together when she is.

santhuruu
Aug 5th, 2006, 09:26 AM
I have to go with Venus Williams.

up!
Aug 5th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Clijsters, Ivanovic, Mirza, Myskina

Martian Stacey
Aug 5th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Daniela and Maria K. There is so much potential there, but their results are below my expectations.

RR-87
Aug 5th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Mirza, Ivanovic, Dulko

Uranus
Aug 5th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Mirza, Hantuchova, Jankovic for the 1st half of the year...

Lindsayfan
Aug 5th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Serena and Lindsay not being able to even compete.

+ Venus and Sprem

Craigy
Aug 5th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Serena and Kirilenko.
But things could change for Serena :D
And Maria? Well :unsure: :help:

rockstar
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:18 PM
daniela :help: pls pick it up during this summer
ivanovic, i expected more
myskina, not a spectacular year so far :sad:
and lindsay, poor girl's injured :cry:

Brainshot
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:28 PM

yes, but nothing new for about 4 years...

Just Do It
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Yeah i forgot on Sprem...but i know that she is still with Bikic brothers so i'm not so disappointed ! This about Dokic....THAT GIRL CAN DISAPPOINT ME :)

Kim's_fan_4ever
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Kirilenko, Ivanovic, and finally as always hantuchova :o also lindsay and venus (mainly because of injuries)

vwfan
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Venus might just end her first year on tour without a title! :sad:

squig2k
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Mirza! Heralded to be the next new thing, she failed to live up to the expectations that she delivered last year.

Hingie
Aug 6th, 2006, 12:20 AM
I know people are going to get up me for this but - Hingis!

I know she's won a title this year, but still. I never would have imagined that she'd be clueless playing Clijsters at this point in her career, with the success she has enjoyed. She's losing her advantage over these top players in terms of head to head and confidence and unless she changes something and soon, she's got no chance of reaching later rounds of tournaments.

It's hard for a fan such as myself who has followed her since 1996 and still believes she is the most talented out on court - it's the athleticism and power in the game that is stopping her from achieving - i don't want to think the game has passed her by but we're used to her beating anyone and she definitely has hit a road block against a handful of players. It's disappointing.

DavenportForever
Aug 6th, 2006, 12:23 AM
I have several people who are disappointments:

1) Ana Ivanovic: Potential top 10, I believe so.
2) Elena Dementeiva: Not playing her best
3) Lindsay Davenport and Serena Williams: Not able to play that much this year
4) Daniela Hantuchova: Not playing like she was in the top 5

controlfreak
Aug 6th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Henin-Hardenne. 3 Slam finals, only one win? That's pretty shocking by her standards.

RJWCapriati
Aug 6th, 2006, 01:11 AM
I was very disappointed in Mary's injury - not in Mary herself. She had a fantastic chance to get to number 1 before the French if she could have played a few tournaments - she was robbed.

davidmario
Aug 6th, 2006, 01:13 AM
Two of my faves:retard: :lol:

Rex59
Aug 6th, 2006, 02:16 AM
The most disappointing players so far this year are Venus and Karolina Sprem. Although Venus has had injuries this year, when she has played her performance has been far less than stellar. Karolina is wasting potential by not playing enough tournaments and when she does play, lacks the discipline to take advantage of her outstanding serves and laser-like groundstrokes. At 21 years of age, she's still bull-headed.

AllezCumonJiayou
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:07 AM
Sprem has not been a disappointment this year, she just sucks

partbrit
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:08 AM
Well, on a personal level, Patty, because I thought she would have won more tournaments, and especially Charleston. But speaking objectively, the biggest disappointment has been Kirilenko.

donellcarey
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:26 AM
Venus Williams& Serena Williams

Such a suck year

Davenselesport
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:34 AM
Venus, Lindsay, Ivanovic, Dementieva, Serena, Mirza, Kirilenko, and Safarova as of late.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:37 AM
basically all of the injured players + sharapova-still ms. consistent but no slam final

GrandSlam05
Aug 6th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Justine has been a pretty big disappointment for me. After playing great tennis to beat Lindsay and Maria then getting sick against Momo in the finals of Oz. I guess gotta cut her some slack on that one.
But IMO she should've found a way to win Wimbledon.

So Disrespectful
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Jankovic has not been disappointing for me at all. She has managed to turn that slump around.

Daniela on the other hand is like a female Ferrero. Both never regained their best form.

Dokic should have one a $25K by now, but I'm happy that she's playing.

skanky~skanketta
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:13 AM
for me it's been Kim.

skanky~skanketta
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:13 AM
and i cant get over justine not winning wimbledon. she really should have.

skanky~skanketta
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:15 AM
and sania. but a sophomore slump is expected. and Venus.

:mad:

backhanddtl4
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:43 AM
venus!

Jakeev
Aug 6th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Although I am not really disappointed in her, I really thought Francesca Schiavone would have been in the top ten by now.

She has mixed up great results in 2006 with some real stinkers and as fun as she is to watch, it's frustrating too.

I think Frannie's biggest problem is her mental toughness on court. I watched her against Lourdes Dominguez Lino at FedCup and even though she pretty much controlled the match, she seemed to have mental laspes every three or four points.

And then that loss to Medina Garrigues the next day:rolleyes: Ugh.

Still love her, but I hope she gets her game back in gear before the Fall starts where she is going to have tons of points to defend.

Slumpsova
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Ana won this award by a miles :o the runner-up is Sania Mirza and i'd say Kim should be on the list too.

donellcarey
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:50 AM
I think Justine has a good year.
You can't ask for too much,this year is not the same as the year 2003.
The challenge has improved for every players.

Dennis^^
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Ivanovic, Venus, Mirza.

Sweep
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Hantuchova, as always, inconsistent, frustrating...one match she's good, the next she's just abysmal.

I expected Ivanovic to perhaps push on further than she has, although she will get there eventually, I think.

Mirza and Kirilenko have had a bit of a slump but still have the potential to kick on.