PDA

View Full Version : Kournikova Announces Desire for Doubles-Only Return with Hingis

bellascarlett
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Hope this hasn't been posted. :)

Kournikova Announces Desire for Doubles-Only Return with Hingis

Posted on August 04, 2006

Martina Hingis, who like Anna Kournikova participated in the World TeamTennis league this summer, says her former Russian doubles partner is considering a doubles-only comeback.

Hingis and Kournikova, the "Spice Girls" as they were referred to as a team in their heyday, won the Australian Open in 2002 and in 1999.

"Obviously, Martina is one of the greatest players ever, you know," Kournikova said after the pair's 2002 win. "She has been No. 1, and the way, her game -- and just, even now, the ranking. I that think she's, you know, a top player. And obviously I do learn a lot from her and just, she's a great champion and it's just really great and nice that we get along so well and that we make such a good team, you know, and that's it. I just have lots of respect for her."

Hingis would go on to retire the following year before returning in 2006 and now inspiring a possible Kournikova return. The Russian pin-up has ruled out a singles return due to back problems which cut her season short in 2003.

"She'd really have to commit herself and grind it out," said Hingis of the 25-year-old Kournikova. "She used to have her mother and a great support team to help her and she doesn't have that now. You can't just play one week and come back. You have to be more professional about it."

Hingis played an exhibition with Kournikova in December 2005 and was politically correct in telling reporters she was less than impressed, and would want to see the Russian in top form before they resumed their partnership.

"She was okay," Hingis said of Kournikova's form. "But she would have to train. I don't want to go out there and lose first round."
:haha: :lol: Martina...

-- Tennis-X.com

KoOlMaNsEaN
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Quote of the day by Martina :lol:

frenchie
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:11 PM
why only doubles??

Perfection
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:12 PM
:haha:

new-york
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:14 PM
lolz, Martina.

Dann
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:15 PM
"She was okay," Hingis said of Kournikova's form. "But she would have to train. I don't want to go out there and lose first round." :lol:

hurricanejeanne
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Well that would certainly sell tickets...

I think the reason Anna only wants to play doubles is that singles could be to taxing on her (I think she said if she trains to much that back problem she had could flair up again) that and she was always so much more successful in doubles than in singles and is probably much more comfortable in doubles too.

bellascarlett
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Also, you would have to think of the pressure she'll have to face if and when she decides to play singles. She still has that monkey on her back - never having won a single singles title. Her comeback to singles if it occurs i think will unfortunately be measured by that. I doubt she'll play singles again if only because of this. It will take lots of courage and desire.

selecta
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Hope this hasn't been posted. :)

Kournikova Announces Desire for Doubles-Only Return with Hingis

Posted on August 04, 2006

Martina Hingis, who like Anna Kournikova participated in the World TeamTennis league this summer, says her former Russian doubles partner is considering a doubles-only comeback.

Hingis and Kournikova, the "Spice Girls" as they were referred to as a team in their heyday, won the Australian Open in 2002 and in 1999.

"Obviously, Martina is one of the greatest players ever, you know," Kournikova said after the pair's 2002 win. "She has been No. 1, and the way, her game -- and just, even now, the ranking. I that think she's, you know, a top player. And obviously I do learn a lot from her and just, she's a great champion and it's just really great and nice that we get along so well and that we make such a good team, you know, and that's it. I just have lots of respect for her."

that's smth anna said in 2002.

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:05 PM
one a time i suppose.

Like testing the water first.

TiK-Tee
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:17 PM
:d

Havok
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:44 PM
I don't see Hingis playing a full schedule of doubles if Anna even decides to come back to revive the spice girls. It's what killed Hingis in her 'first' tennis career, and I don't think she will be too keen on playing doubles on a consistent basis. Plus as she said, if Anna comes back and they don't do well in their first few tournaments, Martina will tell Anna to pack her bakcs and go back home.:o

Lulu.
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:52 PM
"She was okay," Hingis said of Kournikova's form. "But she would have to train. I don't want to go out there and lose first round."

That was funny :haha:

Europe rocks
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Would be nice to see Anna K back, but I think well said by Martina. She has her credentials!

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:13 PM
LOL Anna.

Wannabeknowitall
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Martina seems like she's right on the mark. If Anna was that good in women's doubles, then she would have been able to win a slam without her.
If Anna doesn't want to work at it, she can screw a lower ranked player's singles year up like Meghann's. It won't be Martina's though.

DutchieGirl
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:29 PM
It'd be nice if it happens! :D

Hingie
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:14 AM
It'd be nice if it happens! :D

I second that!