PDA

View Full Version : Match summary - Kim vs Jelena

Kim's_fan_4ever
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Here's the match summary. I thought it would be interesting to post it here. The first one is from the tournament website, the second one is from the wtatour website.

Clijsters Survives Jankovicís Challenge
In an exciting third-round Acura Classic match punctuated by long rallies and nine deuce games, top-seeded Kim Clijsters of Belgium avoided an upset and eliminated unseeded Jelena Jankovic of Serbia, 6-4, 3-6, 6-3.

After rain delayed the start of the match by three hours, Jankovic began the match with a double fault and lost serve.

She came back to break Clijsters in the next game and tied the set at 1-1. Each player remained on serve until 3-3. Jankovic again began her service game with a double fault and went on to lose serve after a 12-point game.

Clijsters held to take a 5-3 lead but Jankovic fought off three break points in the next game to hold and narrow the gap to 5-4.

Serving for the set, Clijsters nearly blew the game as she double faulted twice to fall behind 30-40, but the top seed won the next two points as Jankovic committed two unforced errors. Clijsters wrapped up the set on the next point as Jankovicís backhand crosscourt drop shot landed in the net.

Jankovic stormed back as she took a 5-1 lead in the second set and despite failing to serve out the set on her first attempt, won the set 6-3.

In the third and final set, one service game made all the difference for Jankovic as she found herself serving to stay in the match at 5-2. The Serbian easily held as Clijsters hit three straight backhand errors to make the score 5-3.

Serving for the match, Clijsters jumped out to a 40-15 lead but then hit a double fault and a crosscourt backhand wide as the game went to deuce.
Jankovic earned a break point as she smacked a crosscourt backhand winner. Clijsters fended off the break point when Jankovicís backhand down the line sailed wide.

Clijsters earned her third match point of the day as Jankovic sent a forehand service return into the net. On the next point, the Belgian closed the door for the victory as she executed a perfectly hit forehand crosscourt winner.

* Clijsters advances to the quarterfinals where she will meet the winner of the Martina Hingis / Flavia Pennetta match.
* Clijsters is now 5-0 against Jankovic in career head-to-head meetings.
* Clijsters is ranked number 2 in the world.
* Clijsters improves her 2006 match record 34-8.
* Clijsters is playing in her sixth career Acura Classic. She was the singles runner-up in 2003.
* Jankovic is ranked 27 in the world.
* Jankovicís 2006 match record is now 20-19.
* Jankovic was making her third career Acura Classic appearance. She reached the third round in 2005.

Clijsters, the top seed, regrouped after a disastrous middle set to defeat in-form Serb Jelena Jankovic, 64 36 63. After winning the opening set, Clijsters quickly fell behind 5-1 in the second, eventually losing it 6-3. But the Belgian found her strong hardcourt form again in the third, gaining the decisive break in the seventh game and eventually closing out the one-hour, 50-minute duel with a screaming crosscourt forehand winner.

"I was just trying to hang in there," said Clijsters, who was also pushed to three sets last week by Jankovic en route to the Bank of the West Classic title. "My legs felt dead today. I felt like it was so hard to keep pushing myself, but I tried."

-Makiri-
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:40 AM

Wimanna
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Tnx, this is so much easier than to scroll down from page 1 to 68 in Thursday's Live scores! :o:o

KClijsters
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Thanks ! :)

Dexter
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Thx for posting.

Jelena :ras: :(