PDA

View Full Version : The DREAM TEAM: TEAM USA BASKETBALL RETURNS!

JUSTICE4ALL
Aug 4th, 2006, 05:47 AM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/3e/full.getty-71532763ab020_usa_pr_12_14_56_am.jpg
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/18/full.getty-71532763nb015_usa_pr_1_00_25_am.jpg
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/c5/full.getty-71532763ab033_usa_pr_1_07_44_am.jpg
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/51/full.getty-71532763nb026_usa_pr_1_21_06_am.jpg
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/9f/full.getty-71532763ab034_usa_pr_1_22_24_am.jpg
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/18/full.getty-71532763ab035_usa_pr_1_22_35_am.jpg
http://www.nba.com/media/team_600_060803.jpg
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/67/full.getty-71532763nb048_usa_pr_2_01_03_am.jpg
:fiery: Hark the Sound of Tar Heel voices!

LAS VEGAS -- The United States emphatically reasserted its dominance over Puerto Rico.

Coming soon: a chance to reclaim its old spot on top of the basketball world.

Using a sensational defensive effort to overcome a slow start, the Americans overwhelmed the Puerto Ricans 114-69 on Thursday night in their lone exhibition game on home soil before the world championships.

Carmelo Anthony scored 18 points, Antawn Jamison added 16 and Dwyane Wade had 14 for the Americans, who will meet Puerto Rico again on Aug. 19, in the opening game of the world championships in Sapporo, Japan.

Hours before departing for Asia to continue training for that event, the Americans showed their defense seems at championship level already.

A 31-2 run spanning halftime blew open the game and sent the U.S. on its way to avenging a 92-73 loss to Puerto Rico at the 2004 Olympics -- perhaps the most embarrassing moment in U.S. basketball history.

The Americans ended Puerto Rico's hopes for another upset with a suffocating defensive effort, continuing to contest shots long after the outcome had been decided.

LeBron James and Joe Johnson each added 10 points for the U.S. while teaming for one of the game's highlight plays.

It was a mostly impressive effort from the U.S. team, put together by a revamped USA Basketball after disappointing performances in the last two international competitions: a third-place finish in '04 following a sixth-place showing in the 2002 worlds.

Cheered on by a group of flag-waving fans at the Thomas & Mack Center, Puerto Rico pulled ahead 33-29 while the Americans went scoreless for more than 3 minutes to open the second quarter. But the U.S. held Puerto Rico to one field goal over the final 7 minutes, closing the half with a 19-2 surge to take a 48-35 lead.

The Americans had a whopping 21-1 advantage in points off turnovers at halftime over the Puerto Ricans, whose jerseys featured the Burger King logo.

Getting easy baskets after turnovers, the Americans opened the second half with a 12-0 run, highlighted when James dunked and drew a foul after a steal by Johnson, to open a 60-35 bulge with 8:12 remaining in the third quarter.

Wade added his own dunk after a steal a few minutes later -- then saluted a group of troops sitting in the front row along the sideline.

Getting mostly dunks, the U.S. shot 70 percent (14-of-20) in the third quarter to build an 83-48 lead. After allowing 26 points in the first quarter, the Americans gave up a total of 22 in the middle two.

The U.S. started James, Wade and Anthony -- who all played in Athens -- along with Chris Bosh and Chris Paul. Anthony sparked the Americans to a quick start, scoring seven points as the U.S. opened a 9-2 lead. But Puerto Rico regrouped and was down only 29-26 after Rick Apodaca's 3-pointer with under 3 seconds left in the period.

The Puerto Ricans have slipped since their upset in Athens, splitting their eight regional qualifying games last year and needing a wild-card invitation from FIBA just to make it to Japan.

But they came out seriously Thursday. Coach Julio Toro was hit with a technical foul barely 1˝ minutes into the game after arguing a carrying violation.

The game closed the second of two training camp sessions for the U.S. team on the campus of UNLV. The Americans were scheduled to depart Friday for China, where they will play exhibitions next week against China and Brazil, followed by additional training and two more games in South Korea.

The U.S. team is bringing 14 players to Asia after Amare Stoudemire was sent home earlier Thursday to continue rehabbing his knee and attend to the impending birth of a child. The roster must be reduced to 12 before the start of the world championships.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

JUSTICE4ALL
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:01 AM
http://myspace-421.vo.llnwd.net/01005/12/47/1005027421_l.jpg

JUSTICE4ALL
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:34 AM
:)

Diam's
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:40 AM
:wavey:

JUSTICE4ALL
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Diam :worship:

Diam's
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:31 AM
I hope they win because I've bet 5€ on them :p

aussie_stars
Aug 4th, 2006, 02:02 PM
:cool:

serenafan08
Aug 4th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Let's hope these world championships are a much more successful trip than the Olympics in '04! Go USA! :yeah:

JUSTICE4ALL
Aug 4th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Well this is the best team since 1996, and the full 25 player roaster which will determine who goes to China in 98 will be better than the 96 team.

Black Mamba.
Aug 4th, 2006, 04:48 PM
I watched the game last night and here are the pros and cons of this team

Cons:

1. Team still lacks a pure shooter that can consistently knock down the three.
2. At times the team looked scattered and scrambled on defense in the first half.

Pros:
1. They play what I call that "crack head gangsta" defense that will keep them in games

2. This team hustled and dove for balls like Duke

3. Very unselfish on the offensive end.

4. Very good rebounding team.

5. They want this bad

4. Good fluidity in their half court offensive sets

Caro23
Aug 4th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Still not the squad of players it could be....oh it could be oh so much better.

JUSTICE4ALL
Aug 5th, 2006, 10:43 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LWgAAyM1wTQ

Video highlights of the game with a cool song!

MrSerenaWilliams
Aug 5th, 2006, 02:34 PM
finally!....damn it's about time...now all we need is Kobe to come back and we'll win for SURE....:bounce:...but if we don't win this....i'll be shocked AND pissed

Black Mamba.
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:17 PM
finally!....damn it's about time...now all we need is Kobe to come back and we'll win for SURE....:bounce:...but if we don't win this....i'll be shocked AND pissed

The thing I like is that USA basketball has the eye on the price which is 08. Kobe and Michael Redd will probably be on that team.

Tom13
Aug 5th, 2006, 10:25 PM
That's not the dream team. That's only the national team of USA. There is only one dream team. Anyway convincing win but that's only Porto Rico. But well it's true that's better. There is now a true point gard but still no great shooters to open the defense. If we look at all the rosters I think that USA, Argentina (probably a better team that the one that has win Olympic with the addition of Pablo Prigioni) and Spain are the favorites. They have equal chance to win. Then comes Greece (very strong), Lithuania (too many absences), France (very strong athletically but no pure shooter and centers are ever weak or too young), Serbia (too young), Turkey(too many absences), Italy (end of a brilliant generation). Slovenia has a good team but they are always disappointing. The good surprise could be Brazil. Germany and China have each one player, not really a team.
I will chear for Lithuania but I don't believe they can win this year without their 3 best players.

Black Mamba.
Aug 5th, 2006, 11:36 PM
That's not the dream team. That's only the national team of USA. There is only one dream team. Anyway convincing win but that's only Porto Rico. But well it's true that's better. There is now a true point gard but still no great shooters to open the defense. If we look at all the rosters I think that USA, Argentina (probably a better team that the one that has win Olympic with the addition of Pablo Prigioni) and Spain are the favorites. They have equal chance to win. Then comes Greece (very strong), Lithuania (too many absences), France (very strong athletically but no pure shooter and centers are ever weak or too young), Serbia (too young), Turkey(too many absences), Italy (end of a brilliant generation). Slovenia has a good team but they are always disappointing. The good surprise could be Brazil. Germany and China have each one player, not really a team.
I will chear for Lithuania but I don't believe they can win this year without their 3 best players.

I looked at the stats from the 04 team and shooting threes wasn't the real problem. The real problem was that not only did they shoot 31%, but other teams averaged 44% from the three point line against them. I don't care how many "pure" shooters you have if you let teams shoot that high a percentage from three against you, you won't win. This sqaud is going to let their defense propel their offense. They may not have a Michael Redd or Ray Allen, but Gilbert can knock down the three and so can Joe Johnson. You don't need great shooters, you need guys that can hit open jumpers. Coach K has Jim Boehiem as one of his assistant coaches and he knows that teams are going to run a soft zone against them, but many folks have the false perception that the way to beat a zone is through hitting threes, but the best way to beat a zone is to get good ball movement behind the zone.

Tom13
Aug 6th, 2006, 09:20 AM
I looked at the stats from the 04 team and shooting threes wasn't the real problem. The real problem was that not only did they shoot 31%, but other teams averaged 44% from the three point line against them. I don't care how many "pure" shooters you have if you let teams shoot that high a percentage from three against you, you won't win. This sqaud is going to let their defense propel their offense. They may not have a Michael Redd or Ray Allen, but Gilbert can knock down the three and so can Joe Johnson. You don't need great shooters, you need guys that can hit open jumpers. Coach K has Jim Boehiem as one of his assistant coaches and he knows that teams are going to run a soft zone against them, but many folks have the false perception that the way to beat a zone is through hitting threes, but the best way to beat a zone is to get good ball movement behind the zone.

Actually The 3 point lines is 1 meter closer to the basket in international play than in NBA so the percentage must be better. Marbury was ridiculous at 3 point line like most of his teamates except Jefferson. Then it's thrue that 44% is enormous. I think that's a problem of preparation. They should view tape of their oponents before playing them if they don't know them. For example, they let too much space to the big men because they don't know which one can hit a three. In Europe some big men will assassinate you of you let them space. That's thrue that Arenas it's better than Marbury but having Redd or Allen would have made of this team the clear favorite they are not now.
Actually I have play a lot against zone defense in Europe, so I know that you have to make move the zone by pass not drible (like USA genarally do) but the aim is to obtain an open shoot so if you have no player able to do so (only Jefferson in 2004).

Sandstorm
Aug 6th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Only One Dream Team Is From 1992...

Cam'ron Giles
Aug 6th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Usa Usa Usa!!!!!!

Black Mamba.
Aug 6th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Actually The 3 point lines is 1 meter closer to the basket in international play than in NBA so the percentage must be better. Marbury was ridiculous at 3 point line like most of his teamates except Jefferson. Then it's thrue that 44% is enormous. I think that's a problem of preparation. They should view tape of their oponents before playing them if they don't know them. For example, they let too much space to the big men because they don't know which one can hit a three. In Europe some big men will assassinate you of you let them space. That's thrue that Arenas it's better than Marbury but having Redd or Allen would have made of this team the clear favorite they are not now.
Actually I have play a lot against zone defense in Europe, so I know that you have to make move the zone by pass not drible (like USA genarally do) but the aim is to obtain an open shoot so if you have no player able to do so (only Jefferson in 2004).

I def agree that the key to beating a zone is ball movement. I also agree that they really have to make sure they know who is on the court and what they can do. The thing about this team is that it probably won't be the same team that goes to the olympics on 08. That team will probably have both michael Redd and Kobe Bryant. That 04 team was terrible from three and Richard Jefferson only shot 26% from three. The highest three point shooter they had was Shawn marion who only shot 40% and we know he really isn't much of a shooter. You're right about the key is to hit open shots and that team didn't so I hope this team will.

RatedR Superstar
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:04 AM
if Larry Brown was coaching this team, chris paul would be sitting on the bench :lol:

Black Mamba.
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:13 AM
if Larry Brown was coaching this team, chris paul would be sitting on the bench :lol:

Dwight Howard, Melo, lebron, and D-Wade would've been cut and he would request that Richard Jefferson be on the team so he could teach the guys how to "play the right way" which would include no defense and missing open jumpers while Larry bashes the players, USA basketball, and everyone else.

RatedR Superstar
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:22 AM
Dwight Howard, Melo, lebron, and D-Wade would've been cut and he would request that Richard Jefferson be on the team so he could teach the guys how to "play the right way" which would include no defense and missing open jumpers while Larry bashes the players, USA basketball, and everyone else.

..and he would rely on Richard jefferson to make the 3s even if he keeps on bricking them shot after shot :rolleyes: :lol:

Black Mamba.
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:30 AM
..and he would rely on Richard jefferson to make the 3s even if he keeps on bricking them shot after shot :rolleyes: :lol:

He would continue to start "vets" that are average players in the league and as soon as a young player comes in and hits a 3 he'll bench them and accuse them of not "Playing the right way".

RatedR Superstar
Aug 8th, 2006, 02:01 AM
team USA playing really well right now, eventhough China didnt have Yao, i still think they played well..i think right now, the difference between this team and the bronze medal team is that, this team actually wants to win while the bronze team just wants to showboat

Black Mamba.
Aug 8th, 2006, 02:34 AM
team USA playing really well right now, eventhough China didnt have Yao, i still think they played well..i think right now, the difference between this team and the bronze medal team is that, this team actually wants to win while the bronze team just wants to showboat

This team really wants to win and they left the most selfish me first person in the NBA back in the USA. No not Kobe, but Larry "play the right way" Brown.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: