PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova hungry for money as well as success

CanIGetAWhat
Aug 4th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Sharapova hungry for money as well as success

Fri Aug 4, 2006 05:43 AM BST

Printer Friendly (http://javascript<b></b>:commonPopup('printerFriendlyPopup.jhtml?type=tenn isNews&storyID=13079841', 540, 525, 1, 'printerPopup')) | Email Article (http://javascript<b></b>:commonPopup('emailPopup.jhtml?type=tennisNews&storyID=13079841&link=%2FnewsArticle.jhtml%3Ftype%253DtennisNews%25 26storyID%253D13079841%2526section%253Dnews%2526sr c%253Drss%252Fuk%252FtennisNews', 540, 575, 1, 'emailPopup')) | RSShttp://wwwi.reuters.com/co.uk/images/iconRSS.gif (http://go.reuters.co.uk/newsrss.jhtml;jsessionid=ND3Y54S5NGCYECRBAEKSFEY) http://wwwi.reuters.com/co.uk/images/clear.gif By Matthew Cronin

SAN DIEGO, Aug 3, (Reuters) - Maria Sharapova has never been afraid of speaking her mind and the Russian freely admits that a desire to build on a successful start to her career is fuelled by the prospect of an ever-expanding bank account.

"It's never enough. I always look for more," Sharapova told reporters at the Acura Classic on Thursday. "Bring on the money."

According to a recent survey in Sport Illustrated, the 19-year-old world number four is the world's highest-paid female athlete, earning an estimated $25.4 million dollars a year.

Sharapova is also ranked number four on the magazine's international top-20 list, behind Formula One driver Michael Schumacher, MotoGP rider Valentino Rossi and soccer star Ronaldinho.

However, she has moved ahead of Real Madrid's David Beckham, baseball player Ichiro Suzuki and Swiss tennis player Roger Federer, who earns an estimated $22.1 million a year.

Sharapova, who has endorsements from a string of multinational companies, says she will always find time for another major contract.

"When I was working my way to the top of tennis, I didn't say I was number two, I said I wanted to be number one," she said.

"There's not limit to how much money you can make."

Sharapova has a single grand slam title to her name (Wimbledon 2004) but says she would happily trade all of her millions for another three grand slam titles, but not just because of the tennis glory.

"Of course, because another three slam titles will bring a lot more than $25 million," she said.

"They would be worth even more [than $100 million]."

Sharapova said she was proud to be on the list, but would rather be known for what it took to get her there.

"It's a cool fact, but I don't live my life by looking at these facts, how much (money) I have won," she said.

"What tennis has brought me has been incredible. God gave me a talent, but it was up to me to play my part in it.

"I don't believe in just god-given talent, you have to work for everything you earn and I think the combination has helped me."

During her three-week layoff between Wimbledon and San Diego, Sharapova trained in Los Angeles and went to see U.S. men's player Andy Roddick compete at the ATP tournament there.

Sharapova would not deny a report in the U.S. media that the pair were dating, but had no comment. "I don't discuss my private life," she said.

var year = new Date() document.write('&copy; Reuters ' + year.getFullYear() + ". All Rights Reserved." ); Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

DomenicDemaria
Aug 4th, 2006, 05:59 AM
:eek: Why not. I guess if we were in her situation we would do the same thing. I cant believe she admited it though.

cakiteror
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:05 AM
the girl likes money and isnt afraid to say that!

supergrunt
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:09 AM
this is weird.. she is greedy :p

TennizFan
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:11 AM
Bad choice of words... There is no need to say some of these things

mboyle
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:12 AM
She's dating Andy...no question in my mind now.

morningglory
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Geez Maria if ur not dating then tell them so...
WTH... :lol: The "I don't talk about my private life" only makes them want to know more

dreamgoddess099
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:21 AM
the girl likes money and isnt afraid to say that!
Umm...I think that was pretty obvious when she said "I don't care what they are selling" at the YEC in 2004. Nothing wrong with getting as much as you can while you can. But I didn't expect her to come right out and say I want more grandslams because it will make me more money. That was a bold move. :lol:

Stamp Paid
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:23 AM
Make the money.
Dont let it make you.

markhingis
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Material girl...Such a greedy one! That's becuase she comes from Siberia, the most hostile place on Earth. But to talk about it so outrightly is a bit tactlessly.

Next time don't criticise Martina for her sincerity.

PLP
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:31 AM
EWWWW...I can't believe she said that! Obviously, it's true but she doesn't 'need' a fraction of the money she is making....then again she is still very young so maybe she will put it to good use at some point...hopefully.

Dan23
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:39 AM
strange interview...didnt really come across too well

She doesnt leave much doubt about Roddick tho :p

lindsayno1
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:26 AM
ugh maria, you leave yourself open to criticism!

Brooks.
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:32 AM
roddick is too hot for her :tape: :tape:

Junex
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:37 AM
I like it.....it makes the haters itch on ther seats....

kookabura17
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:37 AM
She never discusses her private life. How is this different

Derek.
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:41 AM
*death* @ Masha for being so blunt about loving money! :spit:

Robert Lansdorp did say he used money to make Maria train harder. :o

He'd put the money on the court and if she hit it, she got it. :eek:

That's how Masha is able to hit the lines and in the corners. :lol:

Dan23
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:47 AM
*death* @ Masha for being so blunt about loving money! :spit:

Robert Lansdorph did say he used money to make Maria train harder. :o

He'd put the money on the court and if she hit it, she got it. :eek:

That's how Masha is able to hit the lines and the corners. :lol:
haha nice copy paste job from the msn convo :p

watchdogfish
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Does anyone have the full transcript of the interview? A lot of the time comments can be taken out of context. Maybe if we knew what question was asked then we could see if the comments were tongue-in-cheek or not

The_Pov
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Yes Maria :worship:

I'm glad she's come out with this statement, what's wrong with loving money?

The only reason I'm going to university is so that when I finish I will be able to earn more money than I would if I didn't go.

Dementinator
Aug 4th, 2006, 12:06 PM
well we have to wait to see if that is REALLY what she said ,a lot of times most of this sorta thing is total bollocks ,but if it is ,then yes ,shes a greedy bitch ,she deserves to make money and a lot of it ,but to just have the kind of greed that wants hundreds of millions instead of 10 or 20 is simply avrice.. the reason why this world is totally fucked up and why it will not last another 100 years the way it is going .. shes worried about only having 20 or 30 million dollars while millions of people die from starvation and have no homes..not her fault ..but is she gonna use any of this wealth to help? doubt it... she is absolutely everything that is wrong with society ,shes a fully paid up member of the "big brother ,me me me" generation... if she works hard she deserves to be sucessful and earn big bucks ,but that is obviously not good enough for her ,she aint that sepcial ,she hasnt found the cure for cancer or something... of course ,the interview may be crap and none of that was said ,i really hope thats the case..

msharafan
Aug 4th, 2006, 12:11 PM
maria loves the money she makes so what considering she came from hardly anything ie being poor in russia of course shes happy to make the millions shes honest enough to admit it! if i was in her position id eant to make as much money as possible!

The_Pov
Aug 4th, 2006, 12:12 PM
well we have to wait to see if that is REALLY what she said ,a lot of times most of this sorta thing is total bollocks ,but if it is ,then yes ,shes a greedy bitch ,she deserves to make money and a lot of it ,but to just have the kind of greed that wants hundreds of millions instead of 10 or 20 is simply avrice.. the reason why this world is totally fucked up and why it will not last another 100 years the way it is going .. shes worried about only having 20 or 30 million dollars while millions of people die from starvation and have no homes..not her fault ..but is she gonna use any of this wealth to help? doubt it... she is absolutely everything that is wrong with society ,shes a fully paid up member of the "big brother ,me me me" generation... if she works hard she deserves to be sucessful and earn big bucks ,but that is obviously not good enough for her ,she aint that sepcial ,she hasnt found the cure for cancer or something... of course ,the interview may be crap and none of that was said ,i really hope thats the case..

She's given money to charity but what else can she do, she can't give away all her money. Comments like this should be directed to people like Bill Gates who has way more money than Maria will ever have.

Dinkie
Aug 4th, 2006, 12:40 PM
maria loves the money she makes so what considering she came from hardly anything ie being poor in russia of course shes happy to make the millions shes honest enough to admit it! if i was in her position id eant to make as much money as possible!

Maria wasn't poor in Russia. Compared to American standards, yes, but for Russian standards her family was doing ok.

With the money she earned so far, especially the endorsement money, she can do whatever she wants for the rest of her life. It's a bit strange she looks at winning grand slams out of the money aspect and not the athlete aspiration. I guess she likes to become the female version of Abramovich, just spend, spend, spend for your own pleasure. Weird interview.

Dinkie
Aug 4th, 2006, 12:41 PM
She's given money to charity but what else can she do, she can't give away all her money. Comments like this should be directed to people like Bill Gates who has way more money than Maria will ever have.

Bill Gates spends over a 100 million dollars of his own money every year on charity.

The_Pov
Aug 4th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Bill Gates spends over a 100 million dollars of his own money every year on charity.

That's not much for man who earns Billions.

The model Petra Nemcova gives 75% of her earnings to victims of the Tsunami.

Dinkie
Aug 4th, 2006, 12:48 PM
That's not much for man who earns Billions.

The model Petra Nemcova gives 75% of her earnings to victims of the Tsunami.

Gates gave 100 million to Bono's African project alone, I'm sure he and his wife give lots more through their foundation.

alextim
Aug 4th, 2006, 12:49 PM
very special ... ;-)

The_Pov
Aug 4th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Gates gave 100 million to Bono's African project alone, I'm sure he and his wife give lots more through their foundation.

And so they should he has more money then most African nations.

Since when did wanting money mean you don't give any to charity?

Brooklyn90
Aug 4th, 2006, 12:55 PM
he also gave 1 billion to american schools

Diam's
Aug 4th, 2006, 12:57 PM
:rolleyes:

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (B&MGF) is the largest transparently-operated [1] charitable foundation in the world. Founded by Bill Gates, and named after Gates and his wife, Melinda, the aim of the foundation is to provide lifesaving health care products and technology for the poorest parts of the world. The foundation, based out of Seattle, Washington in the United States, is chaired by Gates' father William H. Gates, Sr. and Patty Stonesifer; as of June 2006, it has an endowment of approximately US$29.2 billion.

RenaSlam.
Aug 4th, 2006, 01:04 PM
:eek:

Maria...:help: for you.

The_Pov
Aug 4th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Can someone please explain to me what is wrong with Maria's comments?

Mother_Marjorie
Aug 4th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Maria is a businesswoman. Maria is a tennis icon. Maria is an internationally-known tennis champion. Maria is wealthy. Maria still strives to improve her game and her wallet.

Can't fault her for that. She's motivated!

Diam's
Aug 4th, 2006, 01:29 PM
There is nothing wrong with her comments if she was being ironic.
On the other hand, if she was serious, I fail to see why we should all tell "bravo".

myxomatosis
Aug 4th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Plenty of peple are motivated by money - in the sports world, the business world and so on. I don't see why it's a big deal that Maria is being honest about that motivation. :shrug:

Jackson.
Aug 4th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Maria :rolls:

rjd1111
Aug 4th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Material girl...Such a greedy one! That's becuase she comes from Siberia, the most hostile place on Earth. But to talk about it so outrightly is a bit tactlessly.

Next time don't criticise Martina for her sincerity.

She left there very young. I doubt that she remembers very much
about it.

moby
Aug 4th, 2006, 01:57 PM
At least she's honest about it.

Dinkie
Aug 4th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Since when did wanting money mean you don't give any to charity?

If you read my post again: I never said she doesn't give anything to charity. That was not my point.

Niunia
Aug 4th, 2006, 02:02 PM
http://www.mariaworld.net/scan56.jpg

olivia100
Aug 4th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Maria is a businesswoman. Maria is a tennis icon. Maria is an internationally-known tennis champion. Maria is wealthy. Maria still strives to improve her game and her wallet.

Can't fault her for that. She's motivated!

Maria is no damn tennis icon with one darn GS give me a break...and what business woman is she what the heck has she done as a business woman....and don't tell nothing about perfume...because only her name was on the darn vial she had no say or input in that. BTW, I saw that perfume on in Marshalls for $10.00.

Dinkie
Aug 4th, 2006, 02:06 PM

Because now she comes across as moneydriven and just being in the tennis'business' for making money. She wants to win grandslams so she can make more money out of endorsements. I find that very shortsighted.
She's not gonna win over more fans by this statement. Lots of people believe these sportsmen and women earn too much for their efforts anyway.

fifiricci
Aug 4th, 2006, 02:15 PM
We get this kind of thing from a lot of famous people, don't we? "Ooh no, I couldn't possibly tell you anything about my private life". Then, whoop la, the next thing you know they're splattered all over Hello or OK magazines, showing you the most intimate places in their family homes or sharing every moment of their weddings with you.

Maria says quite coyly that she won't discuss her private life, but I will bet my house that her marriage will be covered by Hello or one of the other rags for a cool million or so. This isn't a criticism of Maria in particular, just an observation that famous people are always prepared to sell their privacy for a price.

*JR*
Aug 4th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Unlike "some other Russian blonde", Masha won the most prestigious singles title in the game B4 starting to make 8 figures a year. I hope she gives a lot of it to charity, as there's only so much one can spend. And I personally consider most celebrity product endorsments an insult to our intelligence. But within a system she didn't create, Masha earned the status to cash in. Unlike FFBF.

The_Pov
Aug 4th, 2006, 02:28 PM
She left there very young. I doubt that she remembers very much
about it.
Actually she said in an interview that she used to live in a really horrible place (Siberia) before moving to the nicer city of Sochi!

so she does remember it!

watchdogfish
Aug 4th, 2006, 02:29 PM
There is nothing wrong with her comments if she was being ironic.
On the other hand, if she was serious, I fail to see why we should all tell "bravo".

This agree with, it would be great to able able to see a transcript of her interview so we know what angle she's coming from.

If she's having a joke then that's ok, but if she's being deadly serious then she hasn't painted a nice picture about herself

myxomatosis
Aug 4th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Sochi is a town in Siberia. She moved from Ukraine up there.Sochi is actually in southern Russia. She moved from Siberia to Sochi.

Dinkie
Aug 4th, 2006, 02:51 PM
This agree with, it would be great to able able to see a transcript of her interview so we know what angle she's coming from.

If she's having a joke then that's ok, but if she's being deadly serious then she hasn't painted a nice picture about herself

Transcript website:
www. tennisreporters dot net /sharapova_080306.html

saki
Aug 4th, 2006, 02:52 PM
I think it's really funny that she came out and said that. I don't particularly see the problem, either - I doubt it's her entire motivation or she wouldn't have looked so gutted after the Wimbly SF (it's not like her endorsements would have dried up just based on that) and I don't really see money as being a worse motivation than wanting to be the best in your sport. 99% of players, if they were honest, would tell you the same thing. Justine could have been a footballer - if the womens' football game had more funding, perhaps she'd have gone that route. Sveta could have been a cyclist like her parents, I bet money played a role there too. Steffi could have been a sprinter... Money matters.

myxomatosis
Aug 4th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Not according to the Atlas of the World.It's wrong. Look it up on Wikipedia if you want.

Lenafan
Aug 4th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Strange interview. I doubt any of the top 10 moneymakers would say something like this or be as tactless as she is in these interviews. She reminds me of Kobe Bryant. I really want to like Kobe or Maria, but they do things which expose really unlikeable traits. I cringe at what she will say by the end of the summer as I am expecting her to have a great hardcourt season and I think she has an excellent chance to win the Open.

*JR*
Aug 4th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Sochi is indeed in southern Russia, by the Black Sea. That's where Kafelnikov gave Masha her first racquet, when she was 4. And promised to teach her to Play Poker when she grew up. ;)

goldenlox
Aug 4th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Lets remember that Maria gave Lansdorp a bottle of lotion for Christmas 2004.
Then she wouldn't pay him until he complained to the media.

Maria makes Eberneezer Scrooge seem generous.
She is a mental case when money is involved

Diam's
Aug 4th, 2006, 03:18 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ezekiel
Aug 4th, 2006, 05:55 PM
How smart and thoughtful, Maria :o

ezekiel
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:02 PM

when one is motivated solely by money it tends to corrupt their mind especially when they get enough money as they tend to forget what got them there and money becomes just means to an end and an artificial mean of self worth

Cat's Pajamas
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:15 PM
http://www.mariaworld.net/scan56.jpg

:eek: now she's two-faced! :o

Idk what the point of this interview was but it is certainly not making me like her anymore. Like the difference in her life is 25mil vs. 100 mil :rolleyes:

Mother_Marjorie
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:23 PM
:rolleyes: :eek: now she's two-faced! :o :rolleyes:

Okay, simpleton. Think really, really hard about comments you made at a young age. As you mature and prioritize, your goals change. Everyone is entitled to change their priorities.

Just like when some players claim they want to be #1 and that tennis is their #1 priority, yet rarely play tennis while walking red carpets. So, you can't have it both ways. :rolleyes:

Mother_Marjorie
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Then she wouldn't pay him until he complained to the media.

Maria makes Eberneezer Scrooge seem generous.
She is a mental case when money is involved

Well, when weighing mental cases in the sport of tennis, Demented and Svetlana are at the top.

Criticizing someone for wanting to expand their financial portfolio is fucking retarded.

Cat's Pajamas
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Ok well she's says she plays because she loves the sport, then she says she plays for the love of money. I'm getting two different ideas from the same person ie: Two-Faced :shrug:

Maria's new theme song: :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXDN-KisbAI

Mother_Marjorie
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Ok well she's says she plays because she loves the sport, then she says she plays for the love of money. I'm getting two different ideas from the same person ie: Two-Faced :shrug:

Maria's new theme song: :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXDN-KisbAI

Venus and Serena claims to want to be #1, and still considers tennis a priority. However, they've walked more red carpets than tennis tournaments this year. Would you consider that "two-faced" as well????

Lemme guess??? NO. Of course not.

But you want to compare statements of Sharapova at a time when she is underaged vs adult, when any mature individual would naturally consider expanding their financial portfolio a priority. Your priority at age 17 is not about money. However, as you mature, you realize the power of money and what goes with that.

You are full of "two-faced" shit. :rolleyes:

Cat's Pajamas
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:35 PM
wow so I'm sure 2-3 years have REALLY changed her life decisions!

and btw Maria has gone to more parties than tennis tournaments this year I'm sure too ;) but the Williams sisters are untrustworthy and I'll be the first to admit it :shrug: but 2 wrongs don't make a right so Maria is still greedy imo :bigwave:

Mother_Marjorie
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:39 PM
but 2 wrongs don't make a right so Maria is still greedy imo :bigwave:

:cuckoo: :cuckoo: :cuckoo:

franny
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:49 PM
I don't know how to take this article. Lol. I mean, on one hand, she's being candid and real. She's saying what most tennis players, and celebrities, would say. But the article makes her come off greedy, which she may well be. But then at the same time, she seems to be willing to work her ass off to make the money. So it's not like she just wants to be given money. She wants to do it through tennis acheivements.

dreamgoddess099
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Venus and Serena claims to want to be #1, and still considers tennis a priority. However, they've walked more red carpets than tennis tournaments this year. Would you consider that "two-faced" as well????

Nope, even when they were number one playing multiple slam finals they were on many red carpets, they haven't changed. Anyway, they've never said "Being on the red carpet is better than being #1," or "I can never go to enough movie premieres, the more the better" or "The more grandslams I win the more movie premieres I'll be invited to."

Mother_Marjorie
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Nope, even when they were number one playing multiple slam finals they were on many red carpets, they haven't changed. Anyway, they've never said "Being on the red carpet is better than being #1," or "I can never go to enough movie premieres, the more the better" or "The more grandslams I win the more movie premieres I'll be invited to."

Actions speak louder than words.

dreamgoddess099
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Actions speak louder than words.
And their actions or words haven't changed.

ezekiel
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:18 PM
I don't know how to take this article. Lol. I mean, on one hand, she's being candid and real. She's saying what most tennis players, and celebrities, would say. But the article makes her come off greedy, which she may well be. But then at the same time, she seems to be willing to work her ass off to make the money. So it's not like she just wants to be given money. She wants to do it through tennis acheivements.

her game hasn't improved and may have gone down a level or two so I don't know how hard she works. She seems to play tennis just as a means to an end and she is way too young for that

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Maria has no class at all! I would'nt mind people wanting to achieve more wealth but it should be for a greater cause.

24.5 million dollars is more than enough to have a lifestyle of a princess, queens, etc....

Wanting more than her millions is OK if you think of charities, extending your blessing to others and becomming more powerful for the common good. I did'nt hear her say about any of those.

Greedy, thats the word.

Yes, she is young and she obviously does'nt know what she is saying and I hope she will learn.

Wiggly
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:36 PM
:crazy: = Maria's reaction to money ;)

I love money :p

"Of course, because another three slam titles will bring a lot more than $25 million," she said.

"They would be worth even more [than $100 million]."

This is weird, tought :confused:

franny
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Maria has no class at all! I would'nt mind people wanting to achieve more wealth but it should be for a greater cause.

24.5 million dollars is more than enough to have a lifestyle of a princess, queens, etc....

Wanting more than her millions is OK if you think of charities, extending your blessing to others and becomming more powerful for the common good. I did'nt hear her say about any of those.

Greedy, thats the word.

Yes, she is young and she obviously does'nt know what she is saying and I hope she will learn.

It's an excerpt of an interview that she had. She was most likely asked about money and hence the replies. I hardly think she had enough time to dwelt into all the charity work she does. Just because one does not openly express which charity she donates to or how she uses her money does not mean that she does not use it for good. In fact, I don't think she ever said what she would do with her money. She did not mention charities, extending her blessings, and common good, but she also did not mention using her money for selfish reasons, buying new cars, going on shopping sprees, etc. If you can assume that she does not do good because she does not speak of doing good, then why do you assume that she is selfish when she does not speak of using her money for selfish reasons? Kinda hypocritical, no?

franny
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:47 PM
her game hasn't improved and may have gone down a level or two so I don't know how hard she works. She seems to play tennis just as a means to an end and she is way too young for that

I would not say that her game has gotten worst. She's consistently making it to semis and finals of tournaments. Her game has improved since the summer after she won Wimbledon. People often go through hot streak. We cannot use Wimbledon as a gauge for where her game was at at the time, because she was clearly playing 2-3 levels above where she was at. We witnessed that during the summer of 04 and at the U.S. Open. It was not until the fall till she started improving and getting her game up. Since the tour championships, she's reached 5 slam semis, and won several tier 1 and tier 2 events. Her game has not gone down, she's just not finishing at the big tournaments. But then there are how many people winning slams now? 2? 3 maybe? Just because you are not one of those 2 or 3 yet within 2 years does not mean that your game has gone down or that you have not been working on your game.

harloo
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Wow, Maria is feeling herself. Why shouldn't she though? She has the support of the hype machine and the eurocentric standard of beauty required to cash in. While the comments about her love of money isn't suprising, the fact that she boldy stated, "3 more slams" will eventually lead to more money proves that she is well aware of her unfair advantage. Such is life.;)

faboozadoo15
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:59 PM
:tape: that was pretty shocking to read she said that!
there better be a maria sharapova foundation for children springing up sometime soon, or i'll be pissed with her. that's TONS of money, and it isn't slowing down.

the whole interview was kinda tacky. i'm not a fan of speaking about how much you earn in the first place, but for her to quantify winning three majors with 100 millions dollars is just insane.

get it together, maria!

and get rid of andy! lol

oakkao
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:02 PM

Lemme guess??? NO. Of course not.

But you want to compare statements of Sharapova at a time when she is underaged vs adult, when any mature individual would naturally consider expanding their financial portfolio a priority. Your priority at age 17 is not about money. However, as you mature, you realize the power of money and what goes with that.

You are full of "two-faced" shit. :rolleyes:
Please keep their names out of YOUR moth. You're truly not worthy. :wavey:

*JR*
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Well, when weighing mental cases in the sport of tennis, Demented and Svetlana are at the top.
I errr, beg to differ. :tape:

olivia100
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:32 PM
I would not say that her game has gotten worst. She's consistently making it to semis and finals of tournaments. Her game has improved since the summer after she won Wimbledon. People often go through hot streak. We cannot use Wimbledon as a gauge for where her game was at at the time, because she was clearly playing 2-3 levels above where she was at. We witnessed that during the summer of 04 and at the U.S. Open. It was not until the fall till she started improving and getting her game up. Since the tour championships, she's reached 5 slam semis, and won several tier 1 and tier 2 events. Her game has not gone down, she's just not finishing at the big tournaments. But then there are how many people winning slams now? 2? 3 maybe? Just because you are not one of those 2 or 3 yet within 2 years does not mean that your game has gone down or that you have not been working on your game.

I guess when you get a cake walk draw at each tournament it would seem to others as though your game has improved...until you meet up the big dogs who take you out in no time.

faboozadoo15
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:07 PM
I guess when you get a cake walk draw at each tournament it would seem to others as though your game has improved...until you meet up the big dogs who take you out in no time.

again with the draws! did you look at maria's draw this week???
vera, then pierce, then elena/patty, just to get to the final!

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:37 PM
It's an excerpt of an interview that she had. She was most likely asked about money and hence the replies. I hardly think she had enough time to dwelt into all the charity work she does. Just because one does not openly express which charity she donates to or how she uses her money does not mean that she does not use it for good. In fact, I don't think she ever said what she would do with her money. She did not mention charities, extending her blessings, and common good, but she also did not mention using her money for selfish reasons, buying new cars, going on shopping sprees, etc. If you can assume that she does not do good because she does not speak of doing good, then why do you assume that she is selfish when she does not speak of using her money for selfish reasons? Kinda hypocritical, no?

If you want super more than what a person will ever need ( more than 20+ million per year), I think you need to give a valid reason and she did'nt give any.

Dinkie
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:44 PM
From now on I will call her:

Maria $harapova

olivia100
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:54 PM

again with the draws! did you look at maria's draw this week???
vera, then pierce, then elena/patty, just to get to the final!

Yea, a player returning from injury and one who plays every week and tired herself out....if you want to call those players tough more power to you. The cup cake draws stands ...she gets them when ever she plays a tournament.

The_Pov
Aug 5th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Yea, a player returning from injury and one who plays every week and tired herself out....if you want to call those players tough more power to you. The cup cake draws stands ...she gets them when ever she plays a tournament.

Oh and that's her fault how?

Grow up!

Infiniti2001
Aug 5th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Sharapova, who has endorsements from a string of multinational
companies, says she will always find time for another major contract

:eek: What happened to the contention that she was going to limit the number of
endorsements and the amount of time spent on them so as not to take away from her tennis? :shrug:

squig2k
Aug 5th, 2006, 05:52 PM
how vain

Carmen Mairena
Aug 5th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Maria :retard:

There's people dying because all of WE Occidentals degrade the 3th world day by day... Maria is a superlative example of greed... These kind of comments should be banned and Maria be sued for being so selfish and world degrader... :smash:

The_Pov
Aug 5th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Maria :retard:

There's people dying because all of WE Occidentals degrade the 3th world day by day... Maria is a superlative example of greed... These kind of comments should be banned and Maria be sued for being so selfish and world degrader... :smash:

Sued!!! because she came from almost 3rd world conditions to being able to make a comfortable life for her and her family!

delicatecutter
Aug 5th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Maria doesn't always come across as the sharpest tool in the shed. However, she is only 19.

Dinkie
Aug 10th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Now she's after the US Open series crown so she can double her earnings. That puts her efforts in a different light.

Mightymirza
Aug 10th, 2006, 12:20 AM
well I am sure everyone wants money and shes brave enough to admit it!! Just that it shouldnt be only aboout money thats all!

LH2HBH
Aug 10th, 2006, 12:28 AM
How many of us making $40,000 a year would say no to making $120,000 ???!?

jacobruiz
Aug 10th, 2006, 12:53 AM
How many of us making $40,000 a year would say no to making $120,000 ???!?

Not many, I'd say. All the players want to maximize their earnings and are willing and eager to accept appearance fees and extra money when they can. Maria just admits it and actually talks about it. And knowing her sense of humor, I would not be at all surprised if she spoke about her money making at least partially in jest.

I also believe Maria has big plans for her money and that those plans include generosity and charitable works with her considerable portfolio. After all, Bill Gates, who was given as an example of a real philantropist, was able to be as generous as he is because he totally maximised the earnings available to him and is a multi-BILLIONAIRE. I think Masha has it in her to be pretty generous to causes she supports as well.

Dan23
Aug 10th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Now she's after the US Open series crown so she can double her earnings. That puts her efforts in a different light.
get real :rolleyes:
Theres also things called ranking points and titles available too...

meyerpl
Aug 10th, 2006, 02:13 AM
Reading some of the posts in this thread I'm reminded once again................losers hate winners.

Crazy Canuck
Aug 10th, 2006, 03:25 AM
Reading some of the posts in this thread I'm reminded once again................losers hate winners.
Actually, they're just as likely to live vicariously through winners.

Talia
Aug 10th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Maria recently gave an interview to one of our Russian main sport newspapers. The reporter asked her about this article (Sharapova hungry for money as well as success) and here what Maria answered (the interview is in Russian so I translated it into English :o My English is terrible, sorry :sad: )

On one of your press-conferences you were speaking about your earnings. I suppose the journalists were a bit grated upon your frankness.
Maria: I like to joke, to jest with press, because if you come to press-conference and be serious all the time, it won't be interesting. Sometimes they turn your words over and write things that you didn't mean. But you can't avoid it. It happens.

But you don't regret that you told what you told about the money?
Maria: No. Why should I? I was asked if I changed all my money for another 3 GS. And I answered "Yes, cause it would bring me much more". But it's true. I would earn 100 million if I won. Definetely I'd like to win every GS, but it's not because of the money. The money will come by itself after that.

But they put your words in a such way that it seemed like money is all you care about.
Maria: It's folly. When I come out to the court, I don't think about things like how much money I'll earn today, tomorrow or if I win a tournament. It's the last thing on my mind. But if people think the other way, what can I do?

Probably, they wouldn't attack you so much if you did more charity. I know you have been planing to open your foundation for a long period of time?
Maria: Yes. we have been working on it for a year and soon when my official website opens we will put all the information about it there.

You can see the original article here http://www.sharapova.ru/articles/164.html but it's in Russian as I've said.

Winnie
Aug 10th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Not many, I'd say. All the players want to maximize their earnings and are willing and eager to accept appearance fees and extra money when they can. Maria just admits it and actually talks about it. And knowing her sense of humor, I would not be at all surprised if she spoke about her money making at least partially in jest.

I also believe Maria has big plans for her money and that those plans include generosity and charitable works with her considerable portfolio. After all, Bill Gates, who was given as an example of a real philantropist, was able to be as generous as he is because he totally maximised the earnings available to him and is a multi-BILLIONAIRE. I think Masha has it in her to be pretty generous to causes she supports as well.
Oh,nobody know that Maria was a angel! :rolleyes: She was honest,nobody will have the courage to say what he really think about money but Maria did.But for the words she said... :rolleyes: Her true is....shit.If you ask the question to her another tennis player,a real tennis player who play because she really LOVE tennis,I don't thnik that he will talk about money,oh no!

No.1Hingis
Aug 10th, 2006, 04:43 PM
I appreciated a lot one player that say what is thinking about.. obviously .. with respect into rivals.. but .. open mind players are particular nice to me ( my problem with her is not exactly $$).. If maria said "I like money" I can say I like it too... She is young and is looking to live the success maybe WS, Martina, Lindsay and even the belgians girl had done before and overpass them in popularity... she has to know this is her time to do take all that she can from MEDIA, MODE AND SPORT.. so if I were in her shoes I would do the same.. In that part I have to be accord to Maria's behavoir..

About " :eek: she can't say she like money over LOVE THE GAME".. Maybe we should watch her into Mcdonald's publicity of "IM LOVING IT" can be more demostrative :p .. Dont you think? ;)

She is a player with a lot skills to reach tittles in tennis, can be a shame if she doesnt love the game (she never said so).. and I can be concerned about the future of the tennis, is turning in MKT style of sell and sell.. but.. that is happening ag like... when .. us.. fans.. decided to support strange over talent.. so.. gonna be COMMERCIAL STUFFS over STRANGE.. we have not to wait much time :help: .. Even Maria is not guilty.. her reactions are supporting for a lot "other" people .. she cant denay to be successful..

mashamaniac
Aug 10th, 2006, 04:59 PM
she's too young and has many things to learn and do,so she must sort out herself with the world atmosphere,and should watch out to not overdo these money temptation! :) i myself am a big fan of hers and am sure she can and will cope with this money issue! :p

Dan23
Aug 11th, 2006, 01:30 AM
Maria recently gave an interview to one of our Russian main sport newspapers. The reporter asked her about this article (Sharapova hungry for money as well as success) and here what Maria answered (the interview is in Russian so I translated it into English :o My English is terrible, sorry :sad: )

On one of your press-conferences you were speaking about your earnings. I suppose the journalists were a bit grated upon your frankness.
Maria: I like to joke, to jest with press, because if you come to press-conference and being serious all the time, it won't be interesting. Sometimes they turn your words over and write things that you didn't mean. But you can't avoid it. It happens.

Maria: No. Why should I? I was asked if I changed all my money for another 3 GS. And I answered "Yes, cause it would bring me much more". But it's true. I would earn 100 million if I won. Definetely I'd like to win every GS, but it's not because of the money. The money will come by itself after that.

But they put your words in a such way that it seemed like money is all you care about.
Maria: It's folly. When I come out to the court, I don't think about things like how much money I'll earn today, tomorrow or if I win a tournament. It's the last thing in my mind. But if people think the other way, what can I do?

Probably, they wouldn't attack you so much if you did more charity. I know you have been planing to open your foundation for a long period of time?
Maria: Yes. we have been working on it for a year and soon when my official website opens we will put all the information about it there.

You can see the original article here http://www.sharapova.ru/articles/164.html but it's in Russian as I've said.
:lol: that might cut a few people off at the knees

Dinkie
Aug 11th, 2006, 01:44 AM

A joke huh, even when they asked her if she meant it she kept saying, yes, I go for the money. I wouldn't say that's a joke, but just very bad choice of words. Because on paper they don't quote your facial expression or winks.

jacobruiz
Aug 11th, 2006, 01:44 AM

Maria: I like to joke, to jest with press, because if you come to press-conference and being serious all the time, it won't be interesting. Sometimes they turn your words over and write things that you didn't mean. But you can't avoid it. It happens.

Maria: It's folly. When I come out to the court, I don't think about things like how much money I'll earn today, tomorrow or if I win a tournament. It's the last thing in my mind. But if people think the other way, what can I do?

I wish all the posters who criticised Maria would read this - the whole thing is obviously blown way out of proportion in order to make Maria look bad.

jacobruiz
Aug 11th, 2006, 01:53 AM
I knew she had to have been joking around about it - Maria's got a great sense of humor but you can't always tell if she's joking by reading the text.

Natasc
Aug 11th, 2006, 02:15 AM
I knew she had to have been joking around about it - Maria's got a great sense of humor but you can't always tell if she's joking by reading the text.
I really thought that she was making some kinda of weird joke too
but with Maria she should just say "Im joking" after every joke :lol:

besides, I also think that is hard to be focus ON TENNIS thinking in money...

Rocketta
Aug 11th, 2006, 03:04 AM

that's what you call a good sense of humor? :eek:

jacobruiz
Aug 11th, 2006, 03:12 AM
that's what you call a good sense of humor? :eek:

I repeat - Maria has a great, or at least good, sense of humor. She likes to joke around about all kinds of things, including money. Her fans know this; if the rest of you don't, I don't think it will bother Maria a bit.

Dan23
Aug 11th, 2006, 03:52 AM
dumbass Matt Cronin should realise this by now since he writes a story about Maria basically everyday :o :lol: