PDA

View Full Version : sharapova versus pierce who will win?

msharafan
Aug 4th, 2006, 03:51 AM
interesting match, sharapova leads the head to head 2-1 including their last 2 meetings, one was on clay which was in straight sets in 2005 the other was in miami or indian wells and was alos in straight sets in 2005 and the only meeting pierce won was in 3 sets back at the us open 2004! pierce is on the comeback and marias out to prove a point! who will win this much anticipated clash?
im gonna say masha just becasue pierce is coming back from injury although maria hasnt had much match practice either. id say masha in 2tough sets or else 3 but i think she has the edge although shell need to be playing very well! good luck ladies but mostly from me good luck masha! :bounce: :worship: :bounce:

MH0861
Aug 4th, 2006, 03:56 AM
Maria in straight sets. :sad: Pierce is on the comeback trail... this would have been such an intruiging matchup if it were last year! Hope Mary plays well!

Ferosh
Aug 4th, 2006, 03:57 AM
I hope Mary can win this match!

Andy.
Aug 4th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Masha in 2 tough sets i feel

Zauber
Aug 4th, 2006, 04:00 AM
twitch twitch
mirror mirror on the wall?
oh its a tennis match

Brooklyn90
Aug 4th, 2006, 04:03 AM
pierce in 3 sets

lizzymarie
Aug 4th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Mary in 3

Sund7101
Aug 4th, 2006, 04:11 AM
Mary in three

crazyroberto6767
Aug 4th, 2006, 04:13 AM
I would be pleasantly surprised if Mary won this match. But it's a solid comeback regardless.

Sharapova's_Boy
Aug 4th, 2006, 04:15 AM
Masha, 7-6 7-5.

anlavalle
Aug 4th, 2006, 04:29 AM
Go Mary Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RJWCapriati
Aug 4th, 2006, 05:10 AM
Mary - 6-2, 6-2

Geisha
Aug 4th, 2006, 05:22 AM
I'm going for Mary, but it is nice to see two top players playing - like the Clijsters and Hingis match. This is turning out to be a decent tournament. Too bad these matches weren't the semifinals.

hurricanejeanne
Aug 4th, 2006, 05:28 AM
Maria in two tough sets.
Mary is coming back from a long injury break and this is only her third match back.
If Mary is on her game, however, she can push Maria. Though I think Maria's consistancy will pull her through.

selyoink
Aug 4th, 2006, 05:29 AM
Sharapova 6-3, 6-2.

delicatecutter
Aug 4th, 2006, 05:29 AM
I think Mary will win this one. You know how Maria struggles to beat the "top players", and when Mary is on she can beat anyone.

Andy.
Aug 4th, 2006, 05:42 AM
Too bad these matches weren't the semifinals.
I second that :D

SAEKeithSerena
Aug 4th, 2006, 05:43 AM
sharapova def. pierce 6-4, 6-2

vw.
Aug 4th, 2006, 05:45 AM
My heart tells me Mary in 3.
My head tells me Maria in 2.

Come on Mary! :D :rocker2:

mboyle
Aug 4th, 2006, 05:57 AM
I think Mary will win this one. You know how Maria struggles to beat the "top players", and when Mary is on she can beat anyone.

Maria owns everyone who hits hard and flat. She loses to one type of player:

Fast
Powerful
consistent
lots of topspin

J2H is always like that. Clijsters is always like that. Mauresmo has always played that way against Maria, though Mauresmo often lacks power. Sveta can play that way.

Otherwise, Maria beats you fairly routinely. Mary is powerful and fairly consistent, but she is not fast, and she does not hit with spin. She is basically Lindsay Davenport, and Maria leads 3-1 against Davenport. Mary obviously has a shot, but all the evidence points towards a Sharapova victory.

Edman
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:03 AM
mary 7-5, 6-4

delicatecutter
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:04 AM

Fast
Powerful
consistent
lots of topspin

J2H is always like that. Clijsters is always like that. Mauresmo has always played that way against Maria, though Mauresmo often lacks power. Sveta can play that way.

Otherwise, Maria beats you fairly routinely. Mary is powerful and fairly consistent, but she is not fast, and she does not hit with spin. She is basically Lindsay Davenport, and Maria leads 3-1 against Davenport. Mary obviously has a shot, but all the evidence points towards a Sharapova victory.

However, Mary has beaten Masha before when Mary wasn't even in her top shape back in 2004. :) I think Mary has a chance, although I am not sure what her current fitness level is.

mboyle
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:14 AM
However, Mary has beaten Masha before when Mary wasn't even in her top shape back in 2004. :) I think Mary has a chance, although I am not sure what her current fitness level is.

That was during the summer of sorrows for Maria. Maria double faulted 9 times that match. Also, Mary pushed Sveta really hard the next match, and we all know what happened.

DomenicDemaria
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:21 AM

Fast
Powerful
consistent
lots of topspin

Mary hits the ball with alot of topspin. She has the abitliy to really flatten her shots out as well. It will be a tough match but I think Maria will win but I hope Mary can cause an upset.

Lindsayfanumber1
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Maria in three.. 6-3 4-6 6-3

supergrunt
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:26 AM

Fast
Powerful
consistent
lots of topspin

Venus?

Lulu.
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:44 AM
I want Mary to win soooooo bad! But it will be a battle so I'll say Mary in 3

F-R-E-A-K
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Sharapova def. Pierce 6-3 7-5 :)

Sorry Mary :hug:

Paul.
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:46 AM
i tried to vote for mary in 3 but my brain wouldnt let me :lol: i had to vote for mary in 2!!

but i hope it is the match of the century!!! :rocker2:

faboozadoo15
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Venus?
can't beat sharapova.

faboozadoo15
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Maria in straights. she's got this. pierce has played out of her mind against maria, and maria still straight setted her, on clay and on hardcourt. she'll have too much game and confidence after beating vera easily to lose.

switz
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:53 AM
can't beat sharapova.

:confused:

pretty sure Venus won the last match they played and the one that counts for about 1000 times more than the other two.

faboozadoo15
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:59 AM
:confused:

pretty sure Venus won the last match they played and the one that counts for about 1000 times more than the other two.
how so? the other two are certainly more indicative of how the two players play. venus hasn't been anywhere near her 2005 wimbledon form since that tournament, and sharapova, who didn't play outstanding tennis in that match, has gone on to have exceedingly consistent results, never quite playing above the rim but beating the players ranked below her.
if sharapova went on a run, there's no way venus would take her out. just watch their miami match... that was after venus jumped the mental hurdle to take out her sister, and she had no answers for sharapova, who routined her.

venus played above the rim in their wimbledon match and hasn't been able to repeat that, so she's no consistent threat to maria.

UncleZeke
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Maria in two tough sets.

switz
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Maria in straights. she's got this. pierce has played out of her mind against maria, and maria still straight setted her, on clay and on hardcourt. she'll have too much game and confidence after beating vera easily to lose.

again :confused: There H2H is 2-1. All their matches have quite poor quality from both IMO. Maria lost 6-0 ,6-0 after beating Mary at Indian Wells, and was dusted by Patty after beating her Rome (and Mary was dusted by Likhovtseva the previous week only to destroy her at Roland Garros).

I expect Maria to win but if Mary plays well Maria has anything but "got this".

switz
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:05 AM
how so? the other two are certainly more indicative of how the two players play. venus hasn't been anywhere near her 2005 wimbledon form since that tournament, and sharapova, who didn't play outstanding tennis in that match, has gone on to have exceedingly consistent results, never quite playing above the rim but beating the players ranked below her.
if sharapova went on a run, there's no way venus would take her out. just watch their miami match... that was after venus jumped the mental hurdle to take out her sister, and she had no answers for sharapova, who routined her.

venus played above the rim in their wimbledon match and hasn't been able to repeat that, so she's no consistent threat to maria.

:lol: Venus hardly had to jump a mental hurdle to beat Serena - they both played like 5 matches all year.

You said "Venus can't beat Sharapova" - that is simply untrue because she won their last match. It's clearly the most important match they have played because it was the second last step in giving Venus the Wimbledon title (which Maria has clealry stated is the most important thing for her).

bellascarlett
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:09 AM
At this point, it's Maria's match to lose. Mary will have to play well while Maria will have to play below her average play if Mary is to win. Maria just won in straights against a very in form player who just won a hard court tourny, she has not much of an excuse if she loses this imo. Sharapova should and will win this. :)

bellascarlett
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:13 AM

Fast
Powerful
consistent
lots of topspin

ehem...it's actually 4-1...Maria leads Lindsay 4-1... :kiss:

switz
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Maria just won in straights against a very in form player who just won a hard court tourny, she has not much of an excuse if she loses this imo. Sharapova should and will win this. :)

"A very inform player" who won her previous round against an out of form player purely because she got heat exhaustion after trailing 1-6, 1-4 :lol:

pierce_fanatic
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:16 AM
My heart tells me Mary in 3.
My head tells me Maria in 2.

Come on Mary! :D :rocker2:
:worship: :worship:

i'm exactly the same but i still voted mary in 3.

bellascarlett
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:28 AM
"A very inform player" who won her previous round against an out of form player purely because she got heat exhaustion after trailing 1-6, 1-4 :lol:

still doesn't mean vera isn't playing well. won cincy and took kim to 3. maria is just on her first hard court tourny (and it was just her second match.)

Brooks.
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:28 AM

are you still bitter about that Wimbledon semi :tape: :help:

you can throw the word consistent around all you want but excluding indian wells Maria hasn't win a big title since YEC 04'...she hasn't even made a slam final since Wimbledon 04'

CanIGetAWhat
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:31 AM
can't beat sharapova.Venus can't beat Maria?

I believe these pictures speak for themselves.

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/07/02/80wimb3_gallery__550x365.jpg

http://www.wtnphotos.com/data/505/8306193venus.jpg
Venus Williams leaps into the air after her 7-6 (2), 6-1 win over Maria Sharapova in their Women's Singles semi-final on the Centre Court at Wimbledon Thursday, June 30, 2005.

http://www.wtnphotos.com/data/505/8306107venus.jpg

bellascarlett
Aug 4th, 2006, 08:34 AM
you can throw the word consistent around all you want but excluding indian wells Maria hasn't win a big title since YEC 04'...she hasn't even made a slam final since Wimbledon 04'
:haha:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Maria Sharapova in 3. A really do hope that she will beat Pierce. I don't like Mary's style meaning half an hour between the points :o I voted for Maria in 3 because Mary is the title holder and crushed Laine. On the other side Maria won with in-form Zvonareva in 2 sets. This should be an interesting clash and I would to see 3 sets.

furrykitten
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Maria in 2 sets :hug:

Wannabeknowitall
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:13 AM
This matchup is all about movement.
Sharapova is just better at it compared to Mary.
It's easier to outwit Maria than to overpower her. Mary isn't the outwitting type. Sharapova in two.

alextim
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:33 AM
very difficult to predict ...

Highlandman
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:47 AM
I like Pierce more, but I think Sharapova will win 6-4,6-2 or sth like that...

-Makiri-
Aug 4th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Masha!

SoClose
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Maria - 6:3 6:2

Dexter
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Allez!

Poova
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Mary Pierce's lack of match practice will finally come back to hit her in the face against a tougher opponenent. Sharapova in straights.

Ballbasher
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:17 AM
I love them both :hearts: I think Masha 6-3 6-3 but I don't want to see Mary out of Top10 :sad:

Stroba
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:19 AM
IMO this is very close to call. Mary at her very best can deliver breadsticks and bagels to anyone. When she´s playing her best she doesn´t allow her opponent to move her around, she´s taking command from the first shot. But then again we all know Mary is a very streaky player. You can never really take for granted she´s going to play her best, especially now since she´s been out for a while.

Sharapova at her best is also devastating but perhaps not quite as Mary. You seldom see Sharapova destroy her opponents 6-0, 6-1. But with her you can be quite sure she´s going to bring a certain level of play any day(meaning she´s seldom beaten badly, only one coming to mind is the routing at the hands of Davenport).

H2H favour Sharapova but the matches have been close and also they haven´t played each other for over a year with both being injured during some point of this time. So I won´t draw many conclutions based on their H2H, however I do agree, like someone brought up, that Mary might be a good matchup for Maria. Powerplayers seem to trouble Maria less than players with lots of variation.

I expect a scoreline anything from 6-2, 6-3 in Mary´s favour to Sharapova winning something like 6-3, 6-4. But if I have to pick a winner I´d say Sharapova.

Ksenia.
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Masha in 2

LadyLil
Aug 4th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Mary.

~Carsten~
Aug 4th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Masha in 2!

Mother_Marjorie
Aug 4th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Go Maria! Go girl!!!

Jackson.
Aug 4th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Go Big Masha! :kiss: :drool:

Dymension
Aug 4th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Mary 76 76

msharafan
Aug 4th, 2006, 02:12 PM
i think maria in 2 tight sets like 7-5 7-6 or else maria in 3 sets

Il Primo!
Aug 4th, 2006, 02:57 PM
This year, Maria is the best hardcourter (so far) So I go with her. 63 62 for Maria

fufuqifuqishahah
Aug 4th, 2006, 04:16 PM
i want pierce to win but i think sharapova will be able to tough it out in 3

Pasta-Na
Aug 4th, 2006, 05:25 PM
i think mary will win, she needs to defend her points.

faboozadoo15
Aug 4th, 2006, 05:33 PM
again :confused: There H2H is 2-1. All their matches have quite poor quality from both IMO. Maria lost 6-0 ,6-0 after beating Mary at Indian Wells, and was dusted by Patty after beating her Rome (and Mary was dusted by Likhovtseva the previous week only to destroy her at Roland Garros).

I expect Maria to win but if Mary plays well Maria has anything but "got this".
their indian wells match and rome match were outstanding, particularly at indian wells. their winners were dazzling.

you can check on youtube if you'd like. it was amazing tennis.

anyway, that was the match where i knew pierce would be back. maria was just more consistent and played the big points better.

:confused: just because maria lost to patty on clay the next match doesn't mean her last match wasn't terrific. a lot of players were losing to patty at that time last year.

sfselesfan
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Very interesting how even the poll is running. It's 50-50.

mirzalover
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:02 PM
maria 6-4 6-3

adam_ads_n
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Maria in 3.

squig2k
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:53 PM
COME ON MARY!!!! mary to cause an "upset"

gocanadago
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Maria will win it in straight sets