PDA

View Full Version : The Tennis Channel's Leif Shiras and Katrina Adams...

treufreund
Aug 4th, 2006, 02:37 AM
Is it just me or are Leif Shiras and Katrina Adams on the Tennis Channel 1000
times nicer than the ESPN announcers?

I really like both of these announcers!!!:cool::angel:

tommyk75
Aug 4th, 2006, 04:52 AM
I don't know if they're particularly insightful, but I like how they don't seem to have some hidden agenda when they're commentating. They talk about what's happening on court and don't seem to have biases for and against certain players.

SzavayFi
Aug 4th, 2006, 05:07 AM
Shiras is so bad :help: One of the worst commentators I have ever layed eyes on :o

Katrina is amazing though I really like her and she more than makes up for Leif :)

treufreund
Aug 4th, 2006, 05:28 AM
Shiras is so bad :help: One of the worst commentators I have ever layed eyes on :o

Katrina is amazing though I really like her and she more than makes up for Leif :)

Leif is very positive and has good insights and he and katrina seem to really enjoy commentating together. why the negativity?:sad:

VeeReeDavJCap81
Aug 4th, 2006, 05:29 AM
I like them, better than listening to bitchillo anytime.

mboyle
Aug 4th, 2006, 05:50 AM
They are happy and non controversial, but I like MJF and Cliffie. I just dislike Pat McEnroe and John and Tracy god damn Austin. I sometimes dislike Carillo (okay most of the time,) but I mean she is insightful...just negative, and I don't like negative people.

fufuqifuqishahah
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:30 AM
They are happy and non controversial, but I like MJF and Cliffie. I just dislike Pat McEnroe and John and Tracy god damn Austin. I sometimes dislike Carillo (okay most of the time,) but I mean she is insightful...just negative, and I don't like negative people.

A lot of the tennis commentators are very negative. Pam isn't very negative -- she tries to give a lot of constructive criticism. Mary Joe Fernandez is rather straightforward about tennis and passionate in the way she says things (which I like) and she always has to put a positive twist. Mary Carillo doesn't talk about tennis half the time which is nice because at least what she says is funny a lot. John McEnroe is also interesting. I don't really know about Patrick... not much to say about him. Tracy is a bit old fashioned in how she thinks about tennis and I feel like she unknowingly made a racist comment about asians once. Cliff Drysdale doesn't really offer too much interest or insight but he has a nice voice LOL. and the two mannish guys who are buddy buddy on espn are SoOOOOOOO negative, ESPECIALLY towards the women. i forgot their names (one of the announcers and the other is the former coach of roddick). I don't dislike them but they really need to be more positive, it really doesn't do good for ratings.

Jakeev
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:31 AM
I am a big fan of Katrina. She is for the most part articulate although she occasionally gets tongue tied. But what makes her special is how freaking objective she is.

How refreshing to have an objective commentator!!!

moon
Aug 4th, 2006, 05:26 PM
I am a big fan of Katrina. She is for the most part articulate although she occasionally gets tongue tied. But what makes her special is how freaking objective she is.

that's one thing the tennis channel has over espn.
looking forward to seeing vaidosova & chakvadatze tonight!

Infiniti2001
Aug 4th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Katrina definitely knows her onions, but the tone of her voice annoys me :help: and I'm quite indifferent as far as Shiras is concerned .

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:05 PM
I like KAtrina Adams too, a lot better than MAry Carillo.

Though if you asked me, MJF is still the best we have.

Savior
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Why does everyone want commentators to be so nice and boring?

iPatty
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:32 PM
katrina is my hero. :hearts:

leif shiras knows nothing about tennis and deserves to be fired. honestly, he know nothing. if katrina wasn't there, viewers would learn nothing from watching a tennis match on ttc.

caroocho
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:53 PM
One of the thing I like is that they don't talk to much during the points, sometimes espn commentator talk to much that you can of loose track of the point.

LUIS9
Aug 4th, 2006, 07:59 PM

That does happen with her quite a bit. However, she always has very constructive criticism as opposed to just plain insulting players a la ESPN commentators.

CC
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:34 PM
ESPN commentators cater to the mainstream so they try to pull viewers and new fans in with gossip and lots of extra details on the players. I think it can be said that you are already a fan if you're watching The Tennis Channel, so there's no desperate attempt to hook us.

Vaidisova/Chakvetadze is on now and it annoys me that Leif keeps saying Vadisova. He doesn't pronounce the first I and it sounds funny.

IceHock
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:35 PM
They may be nice but they really don't know much about tennis,I have heard them say so many stupid things,mostly saying players names wrong all the time.

iPatty
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:48 PM
They may be nice but they really don't know much about tennis,I have heard them say so many stupid things,mostly saying players names wrong all the time.

katrina actually sounds very knowledgable to me. :shrug:

it's heffas like leif that really drive me crazy.

slyde2
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Funny, I just got TTC this week and I was going to post a review of what I've felt about it when I saw this post.

Katrina Adams has been a revelation for me in hearing her work this week, only because I hadn't heard of her before this. She keeps her analysis focused almost 100% on the match at hand, rather than getting caught up in subjective criticism or comments non-essential to the match. Watching the Hingis-Pennetta match last night, and watching Chakvetadze-Vaidisova now, I think Adams is doing a fantastic job.

I think the earlier comment about ESPN catering to the mainstream fan is dead on, and although I am certain he has it in him to be a good announcer, the worst offender in my opinion has to be Cliff Drysdale. It's obvious that he is under direction (hopefully that's the case, and it's not a matter of that's all he has to offer) to keep the "storylines" in play and not a match goes by when he doesn't break out some personal facts word for word from the WTA/ATP annual guide. Try it some time if you have the guide at home... it's almost foolproof that he will break out the birthplace, the player's residence of youth, and where they live now. If there's family members to be discussed, Cliffie's there (although after 3 years he has finally laid the Sharapova and father coming from Siberia story to rest).

I might be in the minority, but I think that ESPN might actually see benefits from adding new blood to their team. As awful as Todd Harris sounded last weekend, I thought that Mary Jo Fernandez did her best work in a while and actually started to focus on the matches she was covering. I thought that Patrick McEnroe was also a bit more insightful this afternoon with a new partner as well.

And as much as some of you folks hate her, Mary Carillo actually does better analysis work with Ted freakin' Robinson than she does with Cliff or Dick Enberg (and this pains me, as I grew to love tennis watching Wimbledon coverage with Enberg 25 years ago).

(BTW, love that Pam Shriver! :) )

More on the Tennis Channel in a bit....

IceHock
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:27 AM
katrina actually sounds very knowledgable to me. :shrug:

it's heffas like leif that really drive me crazy.

Katrina drives me nuts with they way she pronounces some players names.

UDACHi
Aug 5th, 2006, 12:27 AM
i think katrina is a strenth in lenthy matches for them.

jsut say the gs, you fat hasbeen! :fiery:

Brashkoala
Aug 5th, 2006, 07:13 AM
some of what they say is completely bogus. in the scouting report for clijsters they put that one of her strengths was her focus and right under that under her weaknesses they put her nerves. great job at contradicting yourself.

Jakeev
Aug 5th, 2006, 07:49 AM
some of what they say is completely bogus. in the scouting report for clijsters they put that one of her strengths was her focus and right under that under her weaknesses they put her nerves. great job at contradicting yourself.

That's a glaring error but look they are relatively new to commentating. Give em time to improve.

dschwa00
Jun 15th, 2013, 02:17 PM
I think they both stink....It is really, really difficult to listen to both of them... I can see why Leif Shiras has a job. He's a Princeton graduate and he played for Princeton and on the ATP tour but he is quite awful (which is very unusual for someone who graduated Princeton to hear since generally, Princeton graduates are successful at what they choose to do in life.) But, alas, the world is not perfect and with an imperfect world comes someone like the inept commentator, now for the Tennis Channel, dopey-sounding, Leif Shiras!!!

jrollaneres25
Jun 15th, 2013, 03:33 PM

I think it's the other way around:tape:

sweetpeas
Jun 15th, 2013, 04:00 PM
I like her to.

miffedmax
Jun 15th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Katrina is great, and I'm not at all biased because she's a former 'cat.

dschwa00
Jul 6th, 2013, 03:42 PM
They both stink!!! Also, ESPN, please get rid of Chris Evert NOW!!! It's ridiculous that I have to watch an entire match on MUTE!!!! She is that dreadful!!!!!