PDA

View Full Version : Does Maria Sharapova speak russian?

vanillalatte
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:09 PM
i'm just curious because i've seen her speak rassian and she lives in the states for so many years now..

Caro23
Do horses shit in fields?

Ksenia.
Of cuz she does

Rocketta
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:10 PM
do you mean because "you never seen her speak russian"? :scratch:

either way, yes she does.

RR-87
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:10 PM
Yes, she speaks ;)

I heared her interviews during Kremlin Cup ;)

Ksenia.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=FlowNiya
Here are 2 audios i posted during Wimbledon, where Maria speak russian, if u r interested

vogus
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:11 PM
i'm just curious because i've seen her speak rassian and she lives in the states for so many years now..

yes but with a noticeable American accent.

iPatty
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:12 PM
yeah, she does. she probably doesn't sound like a real russian, though. shocker.

northern lad
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:12 PM
um... да

vanillalatte
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:13 PM
thanks. i just wanted to know :)

RR-87
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:14 PM
yeah, she does. she probably doesn't sound like a real russian, though. shocker.

yes, her russian is a bit ... wrong :tape:

she speaks like american who learns russian when has spare time :tape:

Ksenia.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:16 PM
I really dont think Maria has accent. Her sentence construction is not like in english and her voice doesnt sound like english is her native language.

hablo
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:17 PM
Sharapova has an accent when she speaks in english and in russian :shrug:
so what, I think it's cool :smoke:

RR-87
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:18 PM
I really dont think Maria has accent. Her sentence construction is not like in english and her voice doesnt sound like english is her native language.

show at least one russian who speaks like that :o

northern lad
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:19 PM

oh, so then i must sound like maria when i try to speak russian :p

Ksenia.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:20 PM
show at least one russian who speaks like that :oHm.. maybe, me? :lol: i'm kidding, but if would know who Maria is i wouldnt think that she grew up in US

faboozadoo15
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:20 PM
yes but with a noticeable American accent.
i certainly hope you're the authority on this and speak fluent russian with a good ear for an accent. :rolleyes:

The_Pov
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:21 PM

What do you expect? My mum's friend is from west Africa and she's lived in the UK for 20 years (moved here when she was 21) and she says she is told off for speaking her native language with an accent and not speaking it totally correct.

that's what happens when you live in another country for a long time!

faboozadoo15
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:22 PM
or like one who's spoken it from her first words and through her childhood.

Caro23
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:24 PM
If your voice hasnt reached its ful potenital, broken etc. Where ever you move youll pick up the accent. Its just known if you live somewhere in America youll have a certain accent if you live in a part of England where id say there is the biggest differences in accents around the nation then any other nation.

RR-87
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:24 PM
well, at least maria's russian is better than sveta's ;)

vogus
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:25 PM
i certainly hope you're the authority on this and speak fluent russian with a good ear for an accent. :rolleyes:

i think it's quite funny that the loudest defenders of Maria's supposed pure Russian-ness are her Anglo (American and British) fans. You certainly don't see too many Russians coming to her aid on that count. :lol:

faboozadoo15
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:26 PM
i think it's quite funny that the loudest defenders of Maria's supposed pure Russian-ness are her Anglo (American and British) fans. You certainly don't see too many Russians coming to her aid on that count. :lol:
a lot of the russian fans on this board resent maria's "americanness" and wouldn't be reliable anyway.

vogus
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:30 PM
a lot of the russian fans on this board resent maria's "americanness" and wouldn't be reliable anyway.

quite the opposite, the Russians are the ones who would really know. The Americans and British fans don't know shit about what it means to be Russian, and so their defense of Maria's Russian-ness doesn't carry a lot of weight.

faboozadoo15
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:35 PM
quite the opposite, the Russians are the ones who would really know. The Americans and British fans don't know shit about what it means to be Russian, and so their defense of Maria's Russian-ness doesn't carry a lot of weight.
:confused: and who are you to judge then? because you have.
it's better to give someone the benefit of the doubt without being completely sure than to try to cut them down when you have an inkling that she may not be as russian as the other girls.

hablo
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:36 PM
it's better to give someone the benefit of the doubt without being completely sure than to try to cut them down when you have an inkling that she may not be as russian as the other girls.
vogus' dream is for maria to become american :tape:

Caro23
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:39 PM
I cant believe this question has lasted 2 pages lol

Its a straight up yes, like i said when asked if Maria speaks russian...

Do horses shit in fields?

faboozadoo15
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:40 PM
vogus' dream is for maria to become american :tape:
and he seeks to achieve this by making everyone think sharapova is less russian than she is so she might as well be american? :haha:
there isn't an ounce of sense in sharapova becoming an american. what would she have to gain through going through the process. that said, she's also stated MANY times that she is russian and intends to continue to play as a russian.

vogus
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:43 PM

i just think it's cynical to use your passport as a marketing tool, which is what Maria (with a lot of help from IMG) has done. They knew she would be easier to sell as a Russian than an American, despite her growing up in the US from a young age. I think these "heartfelt" declarations of her Russian-ness just come off as shallow when millions of dollars in endorsements depend on her maintaining a Russian image.

faboozadoo15
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:46 PM
i just think it's cynical to use your passport as a marketing tool, which is what Maria (with a lot of help from IMG) has done. They knew she would be easier to sell as a Russian than an American, despite her growing up in the US from a young age. I think these "heartfelt" declarations of her Russian-ness just come off as shallow when millions of dollars in endorsements depend on her making them.
but what difference does it make if she was born in russia and is herself a russian? it's her native language, it's where she was born, it's where her family and childhood friends live. to say that that's a shallow declaration is absurd.

vogus
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:52 PM
but what difference does it make if she was born in russia and is herself a russian? it's her native language, it's where she was born, it's where her family and childhood friends live. to say that that's a shallow declaration is absurd.

it's not absurd, because Maria is MAKING MONEY from having a Russian image and therefore her motivations are very much in question.

Caro23
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:55 PM
I guess Tiger Woods is making more money becuase his American, David Beckham is making more money becuase his English, Ronaldinho is making more money because his Brazilian and so on. Vogus do you have any idea how stupid you sound, once your born to russian parents in Russia with a russian family your Russian and nothing will change that.

faboozadoo15
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:00 PM
it's not absurd, because Maria is MAKING MONEY from having a Russian image and therefore her motivations are very much in question.
it's not just a russian image that she has, she has a russian heritage. what MOTIVES does she have? she's merely a russian who is choosing to remain russian. that isn't even an action. there's no motive anywhere.

vogus
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:10 PM
I guess Tiger Woods is making more money becuase his American, David Beckham is making more money becuase his English, Ronaldinho is making more money because his Brazilian and so on. Vogus do you have any idea how stupid you sound, once your born to russian parents in Russia with a russian family your Russian and nothing will change that.

do know how ignorant you sound? You have just insulted hundreds of thousands of Russian-Americans who have moved to the United States in the last 15 years and become adopted US citizens. Nice.

faboozadoo15
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:11 PM
do know how ignorant you sound? You have just insulted hundreds of thousands of Russian-Americans who have moved to the United States in the last 15 years and become adopted US citizens. Nice.
but not all have, and not all wish to.

Caro23
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:20 PM

Ever thought you could be offending Maria?

rue
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:22 PM
Its good that Maria can still speak Russian. I have an accent when I speak my own native language and speak English as well just cos I spent half my life in the United States. I speak English with an American Accent as well as a bit of another accent as well.

Derek.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:26 PM
Sharapova has an accent when she speaks in english and in russian :shrug:
so what, I think it's cool :smoke:

She really doesn't speak English with an accent. :shrug:

hablo
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:27 PM
I think she does, it's not as pronounced kournikova but it's still there :shrug:

faboozadoo15
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:29 PM
i think she has a bit of an accent. it's a flat accent in english.

.ivy.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:30 PM

I thought she and her family live in Florida? Also, didn't Sharapova leave for Florida at age 6 (ish) - could she even have made childhood friends? :confused:

I listened to Maria's Russian, and it sounds like her normal voice.

Aaron.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:30 PM
*death* at Vogus posts :haha:

The_Pov
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:31 PM
I think she does, it's not as pronounced kournikova but it's still there :shrug:

totally I hear it, unlike Vaidisova who has a flawless american accent.

Anyway back on point, what's to say that if Maria wanted to become American she'd make it, tursunov (who is in the same situation as Maria...lived in america since a young age) has been turned down for American citizenship who's to say that Maria won't be turned down as well!

miffedmax
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:35 PM
One native Russian speaker of some note said "She (Maria) speaks with a coarse accent."

Said opinion stated by Nasty Myskina, who would presumably recognize a Russian accent, but might have an axe or seven to grind with Ms. S.

The_Pov
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:37 PM
I thought she and her family live in Florida? Also, didn't Sharapova leave for Florida at age 6 (ish) - could she even have made childhood friends? :confused:

her grandparents aunt's and uncle's, cousin's and old coach still live there!

faboozadoo15
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:41 PM

you never made friends before you were 6? you don't have aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents?

i don't think they ALL moved to America. it took maria's mom a while to come.

The_Pov
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:45 PM
you never made friends before you were 6? you don't have aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents?

i don't think they ALL moved to America. it took maria's mom a while to come.
I reckon some people here think she smuggled them out in her racquet bag!

I think the only relatives of Maria's living in the US is her cousin's family (Daria Sharapova) but their only in the US for the tennis facilities

LH2HBH
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:48 PM
Best Quote on the subject:

"She speaks Russian with a coarse accent" - Anastasia Myskina on Maria Sharapova

:lol:

SAEKeithSerena
Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:04 PM
from what i know she's fluent in three languages. russian, american, and spanish.

faboozadoo15
Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:45 PM
from what i know she's fluent in three languages. russian, american, and spanish.
:haha: american.

Carmen Mairena
Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:01 PM
I don't think so... :silly:

Carmen Mairena
Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:07 PM

OMG since WHEN American is a LANGUAGE??? :retard: :haha:

Maybe you all are REALLY living in a parallel universe... :rolleyes: You'd better explore outer world instead of singing the national anthem every day at schools... :retard:

Sometimes I really believe that my sense that Americans aren't very intelligent human beings is right... :scratch:

Viva Europa, Asia, Africa, Oceania and Center and South Americas, the REAL world... :smash:

bellascarlett
Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:09 PM
totally I hear it, unlike Vaidisova who has a flawless american accent.

I disagree. Nicole doesnt speak English with a flawless american accent. I hear her (czech) accent all the time. It's getting better though as she's still young. You should see a special on the tennis channel done when she was about 15. Her accent was very strong. Even the grammar wasn't perfect.

Maria on the other hand has lived in the states longer, settled there much earlier, and unlike Nicole doesnt return to her native land often. It is more reasonable for her to speak English that sounds more American and to me she does. I honestly don't hear her so called accent when speaking English. Of course, I hear her 'american' accent when she speaks Russian even if I dont understand Russian. :lol:

oakkao
Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:12 PM
Like omg! I speak better Russian than her :o

dreamgoddess099
Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:26 PM
OMG since WHEN American is a LANGUAGE??? :retard: :haha:

American is not a language, but there is a difference in the way Americans speak English and the way the British speak English, even the Aussies speak English differently. I think SAEKeithSerena meant to say American English. BTW, wasnt the question if Sharapova speaks Russsian, and not whether she speaks it with an accent? If that's the case, I guess Americans don't really speak English since they don't speak it with "English" accents.

LH2HBH
Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:37 PM
American is not a language, but there is a difference in the way Americans speak English and the way the British speak English, even the Aussies speak English differently. I think SAEKeithSerena meant to say American English. BTW, wasnt the question if Sharapova speaks Russsian, and not whether she speaks it with an accent? If that's the case, I guess Americans don't really speak English since they don't speak it with "English" accents.

So by that logic then there are also languages known as Australian, Canadian, South African. The language is still known as English.

faboozadoo15
Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:04 PM
you're right, there is a difference between those "englishes". i just though saekeith made a little typo or something and wrote american instead of english.

and flyguydsl, there would be nothing wrong with saying i speak "american english" or "australian english"... "canadian english" would be pushing it ;)

dreamgoddess099
Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:20 PM
So by that logic then there are also languages known as Australian, Canadian, South African. The language is still known as English.
Where did you hear me say it wasn't? But just because you are an American and speak English, it doesn't mean you'll be able to understand everthing being said in Australia, eventhough they speaking English too. Words mean different things depending where you are.

hablo
Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:29 PM
you're right, there is a difference between those "englishes". i just though saekeith made a little typo or something and wrote american instead of english.

and flyguydsl, there would be nothing wrong with saying i speak "american english" or "australian english"... "canadian english" would be pushing it ;)
no it wouldn't, we even have different spelling for some words than american english and there are canadian regional accents ;):lol:

LH2HBH
Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:33 PM
no it wouldn't, we even have different spelling for some words that american english and there are canadian regional accents ;):lol:

:worship:

Different spelling, word usage, diction, accent and yes indeed there are different regional accents!

I would love to hear a Newfie try and speak to someone from say, Louisiana :lol:

The_Pov
Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:38 PM
All you people are speaking is fake english, over here we speak it as it should be spoken. Good old Queen's English!

hablo
Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:40 PM
:worship:

Different spelling, word usage, diction, accent and yes indeed there are different regional accents!

I would love to hear a Newfie try and speak to someone from say, Louisiana :lol:
yeah, right, that would be hilarious ; I have a hard time understanding Newfies myself :haha:

mirzalover
Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:41 PM
Where did you hear me say it wasn't? But just because you are an American and speak English, it doesn't mean you'll be able to understand everthing being said in Australia, eventhough they speaking English too. Words mean different things depending where you are.

i agree, i still dont know what some of my family members from england are talking about sometime and i've been around them my whole life

dreamgoddess099
Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:59 PM
i agree, i still dont know what some of my family members from england are talking about sometime and i've been around them my whole life
:lol: Reminds me of my own confusion when it comes to understanding some of my relatives. There's nothing like listening to others have a conversation(about you) and you don't know if they are complimenting you or insulting you. :lol:

mirzalover
Aug 3rd, 2006, 11:01 PM
:lol: Reminds me of my own confusion when it comes to understanding some of my relatives. There's nothing like listening to others have a conversation(about you) and you don't know if they are complimenting you or insulting you. :lol:

so true, you never know if you should hit them or tell thank you for what they said about you :lol:

mboyle
Aug 3rd, 2006, 11:26 PM

Actually, most marketing people have written articles in newspapers about how Maria could make like 10 million more a year if she were an American citizen:wavey: ...

mboyle
Aug 3rd, 2006, 11:29 PM
All you people are speaking is fake english, over here we speak it as it should be spoken. Good old Queen's English!

Queen's English:

The only language that you are speaking is "Fake English". Over here, we speak English as it should be spoken--the good old "Queen's English"!

Note: I have never learned proper British punctuation; I was just making a point that the above statement, ironically, had a fragment, a missing pronoun and an unclear pronoun reference...

vogus
Aug 3rd, 2006, 11:40 PM
Actually, most marketing people have written articles in newspapers about how Maria could make like 10 million more a year if she were an American citizen:wavey: ...

they are wrong. Sharapova's appeal is based on the Kournikova model. If she became American she would lose marketability. The marketing people at IMG know where their bread is buttered - with the "hot blonde Russian" brand.

:wavey:

mboyle
Aug 3rd, 2006, 11:45 PM

9 years old, not 6.

The_Pov
Aug 3rd, 2006, 11:47 PM
they are wrong. Sharapova's appeal is based on the Kournikova model. If she became American she would lose marketability. The marketing people at IMG know where their bread is buttered - with the "hot blonde Russian" brand.

:wavey:

And you would now being an economic expert :rolleyes:

Like I said before other players have tried for american citizenship (Tursunov) and failed. I'm pretty sure that Maria doesn't want to go through all the hassle when there is a good chance she'll fail. And she's pretty comfortable playing as a Russian because that's what she feels!

Warrior
Aug 3rd, 2006, 11:49 PM
I didn't detect any accent.:shrug: But Maria is definately less articulate when she speaks Russian.

vogus
Aug 4th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Like I said before other players have tried for american citizenship (Tursunov) and failed. I'm pretty sure that Maria doesn't want to go through all the hassle when there is a good chance she'll fail. And she's pretty comfortable playing as a Russian because that's what she feels!

Tursunov was totally unkwown with no connections, and he came to the US at a later age than Masha. Having lived in this country permanently since age 6, there is no way she would be turned down.

In any case, Masha may already be a dual US/Russian citizen.

delicatecutter
Aug 4th, 2006, 12:38 AM
Tursunov speaks English with much less of an accent than either Sharapova or Vaidisova. And the fact that he came over later in life and still speaks with such little accent is amazing!!

Dan23
Aug 4th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Tursunov was totally unkwown with no connections, and he came to the US at a later age than Masha. Having lived in this country permanently since age 6, there is no way she would be turned down.

In any case, Masha may already be a dual US/Russian citizen.
Without being too picky :lol: Maria was 7 when they moved over...and your arguements on this subject as usual are cynical and ridiculous