PDA

View Full Version : do you think sharapova would of been as famous now if..

pengluv
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:03 PM
she hadnt beat serena in a winbledon final. i mean when sharapova is almsot like a house hold name vadisovas doin pretty well but barely anyone outside the tennis world actually knows her. i think all that hype did come from serena b/c i watched trl after she won winbledon n the host had to say the chick who beat serena

PatrickRyan
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:04 PM
no

Kim's_fan_4ever
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:05 PM
I don't get your point :confused:

tenn_ace
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:05 PM
she hadnt beat serena in a winbledon final. i mean when sharapova is almsot like a house hold name vadisovas doin pretty well but barely anyone outside the tennis world actually knows her. i think all that hype did come from serena b/c i watched trl after she won winbledon n the host had to say the chick who beat serena

Comparing Sharapova achievements to Vaidisova's at this point is like comparing Boeing 747 and ATR 72. Even without Maria's Wimbledon title.

~Poseidon~
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:07 PM
She won Wimbledon.
It doesn't care, if she beat Serena or another player.

So, yes, i think so. And she played so many HFs afterwards.-

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:08 PM
Hype comes from the media and organizers, Even if she has'nt beat Serena and Lindsay that time, she was already a talk of the tournament. She is just the flavor of the season, not until she proves she can back it up with more results.

vogus
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:09 PM

how about you learn to write properly and use punctuation if you want people to pay attention to what you have to say. :o

watchdogfish
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:21 PM
There was talk of Sharapova when she reached the second round of Indian Wells in 2002, beaten by Monica Seles. However, I think the media started taking a real interest in her from around the Birmingham tournament in 2003 where she reached the semis, but she was better known then for her scream! She then subsequently reached the 4th round of Wimbledon as a wild card entry and ended that year at 32 in the world. I think though Maria became much more globally recognised after her Wimbledon title win in 2004.

pengluv
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:22 PM
im saying, like kunetsova and myskina won grandslams but they never really got recognized. Jill beat serena in winbledon when serena was a siting duck every was bragging about how jill beat serena and serena played like a player out of the top 50s in that match. if jill had gotten to fface venus beating someone like laine no one would of cared.

msharafan
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:31 PM
well personally and im a girl i think maria is prettier than vaidisova so i think has more selling potential! so no!

No Name Face
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:32 PM
no.

faboozadoo15
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:37 PM
well she's won a lot of other tournaments, but not another major.

i don't completely understand your question. if she had beaten someone else other than serena, would she be famous? is that what you're asking? or are you asking whether she'd be famous if she hadn't won wimbledon?

she'd be famous no matter who she beat to win wimbledon.
but there;s no way she'd be as famous as she is without winning a major.

densuprun
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:39 PM
im saying, like kunetsova and myskina won grandslams but they never really got recognized. Jill beat serena in winbledon when serena was a siting duck every was bragging about how jill beat serena and serena played like a player out of the top 50s in that match. if jill had gotten to fface venus beating someone like laine no one would of cared.

The difference between Maria's popularity and Kuznetsova's and Myskina's lack of it has nothing to do with who they beat in their slam finals but with their looks and, to a minor degree, perceived potential.

oakkao
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:41 PM
No! :)

oakkao
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:44 PM
I loev your msypace song :rocker2: I'm Jamaican :hearts:

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:46 PM
Maria is not popular because of her tennis alone. She was already doomed to be the next Ana K by the Tennis organizers and sports media. Winning wimbledon just makes it easy for them.

Its just like Rodick having the Mojo at the US Open and lose in the first round. Andy is really the most popular player here in USA but organizers are having a hard time setting him up because of federer and Nadal. On the other hand, they have easier time to do this on MAria considering there are 4 to 10 players now who can win GS on the womens side.

A'DAM
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:47 PM
Cmon Maria is so much more pretty than Nicole!!!

RunDown
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:47 PM
i watched trl after she won winbledon n the host had to say the chick who beat serena

Well there's your answer.

Of course winning Wimbledon would've brought anyone lots of recognition, but If she she had beaten anyone else that day in the finals (other than Venus), I truly believe that the media wouldn't have hyped her as the next best thing.

olivia100
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:56 PM

Jill even got an interviewed on tv that evening.

Morrissey
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:58 PM
I disagree WINNING Wimbledon made Sharapova an overnight STAR. Because before she won Wimbledon sure she got press in the tennis world but she wasn't getting those major multi million dollar endorsements. It wasn't until Maria won Wimbledon that the hype went into overdrive. Also because Maria was so young when she won at 17 that made it an even bigger deal. If Maria had LOST the final she would of gotten press too but not as much money in endorsement deals and I think there would been a question mark or doubt about her abilities. Winning is a big deal that's why people care about the CHAMPION and not the runner up or finalist.

Dasha_
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:14 PM
No. And she didn't beat Serena. Serena lost.

faboozadoo15
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:25 PM
No. And she didn't beat Serena. Serena lost.
oh ok. :tape: if you say so. :haha:

miffedmax
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:49 PM

I think TOB is an example of a tennis "Perfect Storm." A host of factors came together:

1. She is very attractive
2. She was, at the time, an "Up-and-comer" from the next generation of tennis stars
3. It was Wimbledon
4. She beat a Williams sister in a Grand Slam Final.
5. She has appeal on two major continents/markets: Europe and the U.S.; there were even a couple of articles where the Asians, with some justification, tried to claim her as one of there own
6. Came with an instant "legend"--moved to Florida, didn't see Mom for years, etc. etc.
7. Continued winning, though yet to capture a second major

All those factors added up to make her the current "it" girl.

Myskina is too resolutely Russian to resonate with nonRussian audiences, her win wasn't so much a win as a total collapse by an incredibly talented and beautiful opponent who really should be the most popular player in the world but isn't, and a lot of American fans don't care who wins the FO because let's face it, we suck at playing on clay. I think Nasty is very attractive, but she's definitely more of a quirky appeal that Masha. But Nasty is certainly bigger in Russia. I think they're unjustified, but you still hear the whispers about too many top players not being in the tournament when Nasty won it.

Kuzzy has had the disadvantage of being the third Russian winner. While she is apparently quite a nice person in real life, she made a couple of missteps with "Cough-syrup Gate" and cheap shots at Dementieva at the Kremlin cup. Finally, she doesn't look like a model.

Love or loathe her, Masha is pretty much a marketing dream come true.

roarke
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:53 PM
This was "The Great White Hope" scenario playing out again but this time instead of boxing it was now tennis. She won at a time when everyone or almost everyone, tennis players, tennis commentators, sports writers, sports commentators and fans alike were saying for quite some time that The Williams Sisters were bad for the sport of Tennis. They were too dominant, too physical, too aggressive, too ugly and not dainty enough. She would have been famous anyway because TENNIS was looking for a replacement but her stock rose dramatically when she won over Serena thereby giving TENNIS it's greatest gift. Here she was reclaiming the crown from "undeserving hands" as some considered Venus and Serena.

The_Pov
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:57 PM
Before wimbledon started, on the radio they were telling people to watch out for her, by the start of the 2nd week che had captured the hearts of the british public, and when she reached the final people over here were going crazy for her.

I don't know whether she would have become the star she was today if she had a lost the final but she would always have a place in the British public's hearts.

The reason why she became more popular than the other russian winners, is because she had the looks and she was only 17 and so it seemed like more of an achievment.

dreamgoddess099
Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:02 PM
No doubt that beating a player of Serena's caliber made Maria's win even that much more significant and attention grabbing, but truth is, just winning Wimbledon once is all the credibility Maria will ever need. Even if she hadn't beaten Serena or won a slam, marketers would have taken advantage of her look and she would have gotten plenty of endorsements still, the slam win was just extra. Serena said she knew going into the match that it was a match that she "had" to win, afterall, Serena already knew she had to be 20 times better than Anna just to make the same kind of money. And Anna still makes millions of dollars a year although she's not even playing anymore. Women's tennis is business first, sport second, so tennis accomplishment will always be an unecessary extra if they can market you without it. And thus we have the reason why the majority of people really don't see women's sports as real sports. Shit like that does not happen in "real sports." It's amazing that women's tennis is able to attract great female athletes that don't have the "look" at all, and pretty soon they may not attract so many great players, especially if they start feeling they are only an asset to the tour if they look a certain way.

SAEKeithSerena
Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:03 PM
honestly, no. i love her, but i don't think she would have been nearly as famous, just my opinion.

hurricanejeanne
Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:05 PM
I think she would have been just as popular without her Wimbledon or YEC wins.
She was already picking up speed at the French that year too. And she has a decent ranking at the time as well.
The only difference is if she hadn't won those two major titles she would have "tennis superstar" next to her name instead of "2004 Wimbledon Champion."

pengluv
Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:46 PM
hmm jus compare the compacity of the crowds between the yec of 2004 and and 2005 in 2004 the crowds were always full.. in 2005 they were like so empty all u saw were gaps in the crowd n then a cute little kid somewhere along the crowd

mashamaniac
Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:02 PM
I think she would have been just as popular without her Wimbledon or YEC wins.
She was already picking up speed at the French that year too. And she has a decent ranking at the time as well.
The only difference is if she hadn't won those two major titles she would have "tennis superstar" next to her name instead of "2004 Wimbledon Champion."

yes,yes,yes!
it doesn't matter winning titles that's for sure! take a look at anna k and can understand that without any titles just by reaching in wimbly's semis became that much famous,now plz accept that masha is a more complete version of anna k! no?? :kiss:

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:58 PM
yes,yes,yes!
it doesn't matter winning titles that's for sure! take a look at anna k and can understand that without any titles just by reaching in wimbly's semis became that much famous,now plz accept that masha is a more complete version of anna k! no?? :kiss:

except that ANA is a real tennis babe and not made by Media.

pengluv
Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:08 PM
umm u can never compare annas beauty to sharapova... anna sat n did crap n is still famous sharapova had to keep winning im sure if u jus got suddenly injured would she still b remembered past 2 years from now. she cant really b known for her screams that well.. cuz im pretty sure serena monica n venus always had her beat in that department

Diesel
Aug 4th, 2006, 12:20 AM
Of course not.

mboyle
Aug 4th, 2006, 12:28 AM
umm u can never compare annas beauty to sharapova... anna sat n did crap n is still famous sharapova had to keep winning im sure if u jus got suddenly injured would she still b remembered past 2 years from now. she cant really b known for her screams that well.. cuz im pretty sure serena monica n venus always had her beat in that department

Anna did not hit it BIG until 2000, when she cracked the top ten. Let's not lose sight of that. Most of her big endorsements were penned in 2000.

mboyle
Aug 4th, 2006, 12:29 AM
There are plenty of damn hot girls all around the world that don't get famous. Being hot is not enough. You must market yourself and achieve at least something somewhere else before the world cares.

Dan23
Aug 4th, 2006, 12:38 AM
what a joke :haha:

Pureracket
Aug 4th, 2006, 12:39 AM
Would "HAVE":mad: :fiery:

Bijoux0021
Aug 4th, 2006, 01:08 AM
This was "The Great White Hope" scenario playing out again but this time instead of boxing it was now tennis. She won at a time when everyone or almost everyone, tennis players, tennis commentators, sports writers, sports commentators and fans alike were saying for quite some time that The Williams Sisters were bad for the sport of Tennis. They were too dominant, too physical, too aggressive, too ugly and not dainty enough. She would have been famous anyway because TENNIS was looking for a replacement but her stock rose dramatically when she won over Serena thereby giving TENNIS it's greatest gift. Here she was reclaiming the crown from "undeserving hands" as some considered Venus and Serena.
:worship: :worship: You are 1000% correct. :worship:

switz
Aug 4th, 2006, 01:12 AM
boy that's a tough one :lol:

pengluv
Aug 4th, 2006, 03:00 AM
yes being pretty was enough... if sharapova looked like petrova im sure no one would care

Zauber
Aug 4th, 2006, 03:03 AM
the media is fascinated by Sharapova.
Serena had very little to do with it.
Winning Wimbledon legitimiced her.

iWill
Aug 4th, 2006, 03:26 AM

She prolly wouldnt be as big although its hard to say cuz I believe that if she hadnt beaten Serena she wouldnt have the confidence to make it as far as she did in the majors in 05 and win the 04 championships in fact without beating Serena she wouldnt have even been there she may be talked about but definetley not the highest paid female athelete

Stamp Paid
Aug 4th, 2006, 03:50 AM
It depends.
If she had lost to Serena in the final, no she wouldnt be as famous as she is now.
If she had beaten someone else in the final, yes she still would have been as famous because the Wimbledon win legitimized her.

Geisha
Aug 4th, 2006, 04:48 AM
It depends.
If she had lost to Serena in the final, no she wouldnt be as famous as she is now.
If she had beaten someone else in the final, yes she still would have been as famous because the Wimbledon win legitimized her.

I disagree.

People watched the Wimbledon Final in '04 because Serena was playing in it. Even then, nobody paid attention to the looks of Sharapova. And in 2004, the general public thought Serena was the best, so when Sharapova whooped her, the public went crazy. If it had been Davenport in the Finals, less people would have watched, and therefore, less people would have raved about her being Wimbledon Champion.

GrandSlam05
Aug 4th, 2006, 04:52 AM
No, most of it is based on her looks.
But to her credit she also won the YEC and she has been alot more consistent with her results than the others, making it to the semis of GS's etc, so they're always talking about her in the second

Stamp Paid
Aug 4th, 2006, 05:07 AM
I disagree.

People watched the Wimbledon Final in '04 because Serena was playing in it. Even then, nobody paid attention to the looks of Sharapova. And in 2004, the general public thought Serena was the best, so when Sharapova whooped her, the public went crazy. If it had been Davenport in the Finals, less people would have watched, and therefore, less people would have raved about her being Wimbledon Champion.

Well in the US, the media was touting up her looks/game since 2003. ESPN chronicled every match she played up to her 4R loss to Kuznetsova @ Wimbledon in 2003, touting her as the new hot blonde Russian player who actually had huge potential. So the hype was already etsablished and had been building, especially with Masha's QF run at Roland Garros. I think beating Serena, with the general public thinking that Serena was still the top player in the world and her being 2-time defending champion, was only icing on top of the cake.

pengluv
Aug 4th, 2006, 04:04 PM
so how long will ivonic b hyped until she finally dissapears in the shadows

lizchris
Aug 4th, 2006, 04:11 PM
NO!

Pasta-Na
Aug 4th, 2006, 04:18 PM
serena was injured.

furrykitten
Aug 4th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Maria would still be as famous in my opinion, she the X factor. :hug:

Pasta-Na
Aug 4th, 2006, 04:20 PM
so how long will ivonic b hyped until she finally dissapears in the shadows

why ur words are so big and red?

pengluv
Aug 4th, 2006, 04:37 PM
b/c i want my words to be readable to big n slow people like you.