PDA

View Full Version : Great Mary article after win over Brammer

rsunderji
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:25 PM
She still wants an Olympic medal so that means she'll at least play a few years!!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-sp-tennis3aug03,1,136045.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-sports

Pierce Takes It Slow to Win
Playing her first match in six months, the defending champion at La Costa holds on to defeat No. 46 Bammer, 6-1, 6-7 (7), 7-6 (4).
By Diane Pucin
Times Staff Writer

August 3, 2006

CARLSBAD — Mary Pierce tied and retied her tennis shoes. She replayed her service toss one, two, three times before the ball caught the right puff of air and settled at the right height. So Pierce is still nervously twitchy and maddeningly deliberate on the tennis court.

But after beating Austria's Sybille Bammer, 6-1, 6-7 (7), 7-6 (4) Wednesday in the second round of the Acura Classic at La Costa — her first match in six months — Pierce, the sixth-seeded player and defending champion, clapped for herself and said, "This was fun. A lot of fun."

And she smiled. Easily.

Pierce had more fun than third-seeded Nadia Petrova. The Russian needed a trainer to tend to an injured knee in the second set, but it didn't matter. Petrova lost to fellow Russian Anna Chakvetadze, 6-3, 6-7 (5), 6-2.

And Pierce had more fun than China's Shuai Peng, who was carried off Court 2 on a stretcher after being overcome by heat.

Peng won the first set against Vera Zvonareva, 6-3, and lost the second, 7-6 (5), before the sun and humidity brought a puddle of sweat under Peng's feet.

In the cool of the evening, top-seeded Kim Clijsters won her 21st straight U.S. summer hard court match with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Australian Samantha Stosur.

In the late match, fifth-seeded Patty Schnyder, who lost to Clijsters in the finals of the Bank of the West tournament at Stanford last Sunday, easily rolled past Argentina's Gisela Dulko, 6-4, 6-1.

Earlier, Sania Mirza of India produced the only other upset of the day by defeating 15th-seeded Katarina Srebotnik, 6-3, 7-6 (4).

Pierce relished the steamy daytime conditions. She had played only six matches this year and none since last February when a torn tendon was discovered in her left foot.

A year ago, besides winning here, Pierce had played in the U.S. and French Open finals. Though she lost decisively to Justine Henin-Hardenne at the French and Clijsters at the U.S., it had been a season of rejuvenation for a woman who often seemed to find more trouble than joy on the court.

Pierce's uneasy relationship with her father Jim, a volatile man who had been barred from the grounds of some tournaments when he was Mary's coach, had imparted a sense of sadness around Pierce for many years.

Though she won the 1995 Australian Open and 2000 French Open, Pierce was considered a nervous underachiever until her renaissance a year ago. When her foot injury proved more serious than first thought, Pierce said she never considered retirement.

"The only things I haven't done are be No. 1, make the final of Wimbledon or win it and I don't have an Olympic medal," Pierce said.

"Those are three things I want. They are very lofty goals, but I've done everything else."

Pierce is still knocking rust off her game. She wasted three match points in the second set and she was down a service break in the third set to Bammer, who is ranked 46th in the world.

In fact the 26-year-old Austrian served for the match, up 5-3 in the third set. But with Pierce cracking groundstrokes on both lines, Bammer scored only one point on her service game and was easily broken.

"I feel like I competed really well," Pierce said. "I'm proud of that part of my game."

Petrova, too, is coming back from injury. She hurt her hip practicing for the French Open and hasn't played since losing her first-round match at Roland Garros.

Petrova dismissed her loss Wednesday as "the match of unforced errors."

Clijsters celebrated her continued summer success by saying, "I'd be lying if I said I didn't love it."

Pierce loves it too, aiming for those goals.

Rahim

MissTennisFan
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:56 PM
Thanks so much for that, Rahim! :wavey:

Sund7101
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the article

saby
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:35 PM
thanks

Alicein1derland
Aug 3rd, 2006, 11:15 PM
Great article, Rahim! Thanks

pierce_fanatic
Aug 3rd, 2006, 11:35 PM
But after beating Austria's Sybille Bammer, 6-1, 6-7 (7), 7-6 (4) Wednesday in the second round of the Acura Classic at La Costa — her first match in six months — Pierce, the sixth-seeded player and defending champion, clapped for herself and said, "This was fun. A lot of fun."

And she smiled. Easily.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

rsunderji
Aug 4th, 2006, 02:14 AM
it's so great to see her back eh!

Mark Spruce
Aug 4th, 2006, 03:20 AM
that was great article.

And always great to know that Mary is having fun on court

Mark

stefi62
Aug 4th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Same kind of article in the French press today; I translated it for you (sorry about the English...):

Pierce is having fun again

Hurt for the last 6 months, the Frenchwoman has been lead 5-3 in the third set on Wednesday, before winning her come back match.

At 31, Mary Pierce is one of the eldest of the WTA, where lots of youngsters appear all the time, each time more eager to win. As an example, the young Coco Vandeweghe, 14, that the audience at San Diego had the chance to admire this week, and who honoured her wild card.
But if Pierce appears as a elder player, lots of the young girls should get inspired by the enthousiasm and the ethics of work of the Frenchwoman, with a successful comeback after near 6 months of being away.Since her lost finals against Mauresmo at the Open Gaz de France on February 12th, the Frenchwoman had to heal her painful right foot (partially torn muscle of a tendon) while her friends were around the world looking for titles and WTA points.
After several planned but failed comebacks, she did not choose the easiest way by starting again with a Tier I tournament, in San Diego, where she came back as the title holder. But thanks to her experience, Mary was conscious about how huge the challenge was: “Everyone around me advised me to stay in Florida two more weeks to improve my preparation, but I wanted to come here. With no illusion. Physically, I am fit, as I have always gone on training during my big break, spending lots of hours in the gym, but also riding bicycle or swimming. And off course, I’ve undergone lots of physiotherapy exercise. »
Today, her foot injury remains only a bad memory, and her difficult success over the “athletic” Bammer can let us hope beautiful days to come.
Pierce arrived on Central court just before 1pm, with Bammer, 2- year-old lefty, which presents the particularity of being one of the very few young mothers of the Tour. And for someone who admitted not to have played one single training set, the Frenchwoman did great.
Main goal: Pekin
With lots of enthousiasm, she played sometimes as if she had never stopped. She’s dominated the first set in 25 minutes, outclassing an opponent surprised by the daring and the power she had in front of her. As she seemed amused by so much ease, Pierce could not maintain the cape. And as her level got down, the Austrian show herself at last capable of playing a tennis faithful to her rank (46th). One hour later, she egalised at 1 set each, after saving three match balls during a tie-break game, all spoiled by unforced errors of the Frencwoman.
Everyone thought that Mary had let her chance go, especially when, continuing to run on the same pace, Bammer was leading 5-3. But while she was to serve for the match, she knew the famous ‘fear of winning’ and wasted all her balls out or in the net, and lost her advantage. In the final tie-break game, this time, Pierce could impose her authority (7-4) to win her place into the 1/8 finals.
“That was really fun to find back the atmosphere of the competition. Even if I was more tensed during the 2nd and 3rd sets, and I had less energy, I fought, I did the maximum with what I could give”. With the result we all know. “Globally, I am not that far from the level I had to win here last year. That’s just a question of two or three weeks, in my opinion.”
Anyway, during her forced break, Pierce confesses she has never thought about retiring. “I still have three goals I’d like to fulfil: becoming one day n°1, playing the final in Wimbledon, and winning a medal in the Olympics. The Olympic Games, that’s in two years. So, if within the next two years, I still have the will to play and my body is fit enough, I will go on.”. With no coach since a few weeks, Pierce is here in San Diego with a few friends and a temp coach, Frenchman Christian Filhol, who stays in the Tour helping sometimes players that might need him. Waiting to find a regular coach, the temp solution does not seem to be that bad for her….
L’Equipe of 2006/08/04

In French:
Pierce s’amuse à nouveau

Blessée pendant 6 mois, la Française a été menée 5-3 au 3e set mercredi, avant de remporter son match de reprise.
A 31 ans, Mary Pierce est l’une des doyennes d’un circuit WTA qui voit arriver sans cesse des adolescentes toujours plus assoiffées de victoires. Pour exemple, la petite Coco Vandeweghe, 14 ans, que les spectateurs du tournoi de San Diego ont pu admirer cette semaine, et qui a fait honneur à sa wild-card.
Mais si Pierce fait figure de vétéran, nombre de ses cadettes feraient bien de s’inspirer de l’enthousiasme et de l’éthique de travail de la Française, à créditer mercredi d’une rentrée réussie après presque six moix d’absence. Depuis sa finale perdue face à Amélie Mauresmo à l’Open Gaz de France le 12 février dernier, la Française avait dû s’atteler à soigner une blessure tenace au pied droit (déchirure partielle d’un tendon) pendant que ses copines parcouraient les tournois à la poursuite de titres et de points WTA.
Après plusieurs projets de reprise avortés, elle n’a pas choisi la facilité en recommençant par un tournoi Tier I, à San Diego, où elle revenait en tant que tenante du titre. L’expérience aidant, Mary était consciente par l’ampleur du défi : « Tout le monde autour de moi me conseillait de rester en Floride encore deux semaines pour peaufiner ma préparation, mais j’ai eu envie de venir. Sans la moindre illusion. Physiquement, je suis en forme, car je me suis toujours entretenue lors de ma longue coupure, en passant de nombreuses heures dans les salles de gym, mais également en faisant du vélo et de la natation. Et bien sûr, j’ai effectué d’innombrables séances de rééducation ».
Aujourd’hui, sa blessure au pied n’est plus qu’un mauvais souvenir et son succès à l’arrachée au dépens de l’athlétique Sybille Bammer laisse espérer des lendemains chantants.
Pierce se présenta sur le court central un peu avant 13h, aux côtés de Bammer, gauchère de 26 ans, dont la particularité est d’être l’une des très rares jeunes mamans du circuit. Et pour quelqu’un qui avouait n’avoir encore pas effectué le moindre set d’entraînement, la Française s’en sortit plutôt bien.
Objectif Pékin
Enthousiasme aidant, elle joua par moments comme si elle n’avait jamais coupé avec la compétition. Elle survola ainsi le premier set en 25 minutes, surclassant une adversaire prise de court par l’audace et la puissance adverse. Visiblement amusée par tant de de facilité, Pierce ne put maintenir le cap. Et alors que son niveau baissait, l’Autrichienne se montra enfin capable d’un tennis digne de son classement (46e). Une heure plus tard, elle égalisait à une manche partout, après avoir écarté 3 balles de match au tie-break, toutes gâchées par des fautes directes de la Française.
On se disait que Mary avait laissé passer sa chance, d’autant que, poursuivant sur son élan, Bammer se détache 5-3. Mais au moment de servir pour le match à 5-4, l’Autrichienne fut prise de la fameuse peur de gagner, et testa la solidités des bâches et du filet pour perdre son avance. Au tie-break final, cette fois, Pierce sut imposer son autorité (7-4) pour gagner sa place en 1/8 de finale.
« C’était vraiment sympa de retrouver l’ambiance de la compétition. Même si j’étais plus tendue aux 2e et 3e sets et que j’avais moins d’énergie, je me suis battue, j’ai fait le maximum avec les moyens du bord. » Avec le résultat qu’on connaît. « Dans l’ensemble, je ne suis pas si loin que ça du niveau qui m’a permis de gagner ici l’an dernier. C’est une question de deux ou trois semaines, à mon avis. »
En tout cas, durant son absence prolongée, Pierce avoue n’avoir jamais songé un instant à la retraite. « J’ai encore trois objectifs que j’aimerais atteindre : Devenir un jour n°1 mondiale, disputer la finale à Wimbledon et remporter une médaille aux JO. Les JO, c’est dans deux ans. Alors, si lors des deux prochaines années, j’ai encore l’enive et le physique pour me le permettre, je continuerai. » Sans entraîneur depuis quelques semaines puisque son frère David a préféré rester à Paris pour une durée indéterminée, Pierce est accompagnée à San Diego de quelques amis et d’un entraîneur intérimaire, le Français Christian Filhol, qui parcourt le circuit, donnat un coup de main aux joueuses qui le souhaitent. En attendant un entraîneur à plein temps, la solution intermédiaire ne semble pas si mal lui réussir…
Georges HOMSI – L’équipe du 04/08/06

mamno_MARYFAN
Aug 4th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Great article...yes, Mary defied all odds and continues to win...!!!:devil:

Mark Spruce
Aug 4th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Thanks Stefi.

I did not see that BamBam had served for that match yeeeksssss

Great fighting our Mary !!!

squig2k
Aug 4th, 2006, 06:42 PM
great :)