PDA

View Full Version : Alicia wants wildcard

spiceboy
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:50 PM
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,19996838-10389,00.html

Alicia wants wildcard

Paul Malone
August 03, 2006 12:00am

FORMER world No. 8 Alicia Molik hopes Tennis Australia will award her its US Open wildcard without requiring her to contest a playoff series against Australian rivals.

But her agent Lisa Chaffey said Molik would, if required, contest the wildcard playoffs.
They will be staged in New York a few days before the year's last Grand Slam tournament starts on August 28.

TA has one wildcard to offer for both the men's and women's singles at the US Open.

TA director of player development Craig Tiley wants to evaluate results by Australian players in the early weeks of the American circuit before deciding how to reward the most deserving players.

After a post-Wimbledon tournament break, Molik, 25, will return to the WTA Tour next week at the Stockholm tournament she won in 2004.

The Melbourne-based right-hander is ranked No. 206 in the world and fourth among Australian players in her comeback from a middle ear condition that ruined her 2005 season.

Nicole Pratt (No. 116) and Casey Dellacqua (No. 206) would be Molik's main opposition for a US Open wildcard in a series that would be played by TA at New York centres Flushing Meadows or Forest Hills.

"We are hoping TA will give a wildcard directly to Alicia, but she respects what TA is trying to do with their wildcards," Chaffey said.

Samantha Stosur, ranked at a career-high No. 39, is the only Australian woman with direct entry to the US Open.

alextim
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:55 PM
alicia, I hope to see you at the top quickly

faboozadoo15
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:01 PM
those players all suck. she should just play her 2 or three matches against the australian girls who don't have a clue and move on.

i know molik is one of the nicest girls on tour, and this is her agent speaking, but really, it's a waste of time.

dokic had to win her playoff to get into the australian open as an australian player.

crazillo
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:23 PM
I think she will get it this time.

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:22 PM
A wild card for Tennis Australia is supposed to be for the whole asian/ australian part of the world.

She should fought to have it on court and give other players a chance too specially developing chinese players.

tenn_ace
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:41 PM
TA should give it to Alicia my baby :kiss:

mr_burns
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:59 PM
I really don't understand why she hasn't a PR. She was nearly out for a year

Of course she should get the wc it's only a matter of time she will reach the old form

pratt would be such a waste

tenn_ace
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:59 PM
actually, Nicolette is playing some good tennis. at least, in wtt

CooCooCachoo
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:08 PM
She has shown that she deserves it, this time.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:36 PM
I think Alicia should get a WC

LegionArgentina
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:40 PM
Alicia should get a WC.

Milito22
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:43 PM
Alicia should get a WC.

I AGREE %100 :o

Zl@tko
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:46 PM
Good luck, Alicia!

Wtrain
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:50 PM
I think she deserves a wild card, good luck, Alicia!

Morrissey
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:53 PM
Alicia clearly DESERVES the wild card. She's the woman player Australia's had since Wendy Turbull in the 1980s. Alicia did manage to reach the top 10. I think she deserves it.