PDA

View Full Version : Guard Dog goes beserk and wrecks Elvis Teddy collection

furrykitten
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:19 PM
Dog destroys 40,000 Elvis teddy

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41959000/jpg/_41959758_barney.jpg

Security guard Greg West does not know what made Barney do it
A 40,000 teddy which used to belong to Elvis Presley was among scores of toy bears destroyed when a dog meant to guard them went on the rampage.
Dobermann Barney was looking after the rare Steiff bear, named Mabel, which had been loaned for an exhibition at Wookey Hole Caves near Wells, Somerset.

The dog ripped the head off the bear and attacked scores of other teddies.

Barney's owner could only suggest that the bear had a rogue scent on it - or that Barney had become jealous of it.

The bear, made in Germany in 1909, was bought at auction in Memphis, Tennessee, by Somerset aristocrat Sir Benjamin Slade.

Heads pulled off, arms, legs here and there, it was a total carnage really

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41959000/jpg/_41959756_scene.jpg

Wookey Hole general manager Daniel Medley told the BBC: "About 100 bears were caught up in this frenzied attack, some were merely little chews, whereas some of them had some quite devastating injuries.

"Heads pulled off, arms, legs here and there, it was a total carnage really. I've never seen such a mess, there was stuffing, fluff and bear bits everywhere."

'Model dog'

Barney also caused an estimated 20,000 damage to other bears in the collection.

Other teddies worth about 20,000 were damaged
Security guard Greg West, who was on duty at the time, is at a loss to explain what happened to make Barney go so "berserk".

Mr West, 36, of Totterdown, Bristol, said: "Barney has been a model guard dog for over six years. I still can't believe what happened.

"Either there was a rogue scent of some kind on Mabel which switched on Barney's deepest instincts, or it could have been jealousy - I was just stroking Mabel and saying what a nice little bear she was."

The attraction said Barney's future with them was "uncertain"

All from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5240832.stm

Hagar
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:13 PM
OMG! This thread made me laught so hard, I can see it in front of me, the dog attacking all these fur bears.
:D

Wigglytuff
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:23 PM
kind of scary. thank god there was not a child or something in there, not the kind of dog what should be guarding anything.

Martian KC
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:25 PM
Hilarious.:tape: Poor dog. I hope they don't put him to sleep for ruining it.:rolleyes:

Avid Merrion
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:31 PM
"About 100 bears were caught up in this frenzied attack, some were merely little chews, whereas some of them had some quite devastating injuries.

"Heads pulled off, arms, legs here and there, it was a total carnage really. I've never seen such a mess, there was stuffing, fluff and bear bits everywhere."

devastating injuries? a bit of perspective please, they are toys for God's sake! :lol:

doesn't say much for the dog handler though, the mutt worked it's way through 100 bears before he done anything? if anyone loses their job, it shouldn't be Barney ;)

Wigglytuff
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:32 PM
Hilarious.:tape: Poor dog. I hope they don't put him to sleep for ruining it.:rolleyes:
they should. and they will.

like i said, its not about the toys, its about the uncontrollable rage (i.e. bad temperament) that would be directed anywhere. the dog doesnt know they are toys with no value. if i child was there, it doesnt take someone smart to figure out what would have happened.

additionally, the trainer should be moved away from the dog unit. its clear he failed as well.

griffin
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:33 PM
Shredding stuffed animals is not an indicator that a dog might shred a kid any more than the dog shredding it's own toys is - lets face it, the dog probably has no idea who Elvis was, and why he wouldn't want to share his toys.

20,000 worth of damage? Dang, maybe my partner won't feel so bad about Augie chewing the arms off that old stuffed kitty of hers :lol:

Wigglytuff
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:44 PM
Shredding stuffed animals is not an indicator that a dog might shred a kid any more than the dog shredding it's own toys is - lets face it, the dog probably has no idea who Elvis was, and why he wouldn't want to share his toys.

20,000 worth of damage? Dang, maybe my partner won't feel so bad about Augie chewing the arms off that old stuffed kitty of hers :lol:
not one or two or even 15... but an entire store?? definitely some major temperament issues, particularly when the trainer admits that this is some jealousy issues.

this dog should, in the extremely unlikely event that it is not put down, definitely be completely retired from all guarding work and go straight into retirement.

maybe cesar milan will step in and try and save this dog.

griffin
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:22 PM
I think the first thing Caesar Milan would say is that an owner/handler with a tendency towards over-reaction will not help.

I also think a handler who lets a dog get through 100 bears and can't get it under control - assuming he was present when it happened - probably doesn't know what the they're doing, and I'm not sure I'd put much weight behind what he thinks may or may not have caused it.

They should have the dog checked out, they probably shouldn't let it "guard" any more over-priced squeaky toys, but to call for the animal to be put down is a knee-jerk reaction at best.

meyerpl
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:24 PM

Or, maybe the dog is more of a Carl Perkins fan and resents Elvis for stealing the limelight.

griffin
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:29 PM
Or, maybe the dog is more of a Carl Perkins fan and resents Elvis for stealing the limelight.

:lol:

Or he got a whiff of the chew toys cleverly hidden inside the bears (Steiff bears have wooden "skeletons")

Mrs. Peel
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:34 PM
He not only tore the toys apart, he also slobbered all over many of them :tape: They had the dog on the news this morning with drool dripping from his mouth. Barney got really excited.

meyerpl
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:56 PM
:lol:

Or he got a whiff of the chew toys cleverly hidden inside the bears (Steiff bears have wooden "skeletons")
Or, perhaps the dog had been trained to sniff-out drugs and Elvis' teddy bear was actually Elvis' teddy mule?

Hagar
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:10 PM

LOL. Don't underestimate the dog!

It is true that most people who have a dog will be able to give you a long list of things he has shred to pieces.

CondiLicious
Aug 3rd, 2006, 06:46 PM
I'm quite certain he won't be put to sleep. He's in the UK and there would be a huge fuss kicked up if they destroyed him over a bunch of over-priced stuffed toys.