PDA

View Full Version : who is the weakest semi-finalist in the grand slam since 1999?

alextim
Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:20 AM
All these players have reached the semi-final only one time.

hingisGOAT
Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:36 AM
at first i thought 'stevenson for sure'! but i now realize i totally forgot about clarissa fernandez :tape:

RR-87
Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:38 AM
clarissa i suppose :sad:

So Disrespectful
Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:38 AM
Dechy or Stevenson.

Clarissa actually could have done well without all of those annoying injuries.

vutt
Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:40 AM
Lucic obviously! She even could not reach top 30 ranking.

Marcus Jordan
Aug 3rd, 2006, 08:45 AM
:bounce: Maria Sharapova when she won Wimbledon :bounce:

Winnie
Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:11 AM
Elena in Rg!what she did after that?...nothing,like Dechy!

Kim's_fan_4ever
Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:11 AM
Zuluaga in AO

so.krist!na
Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:17 AM
i voted Fabiola.

Williams-forever
Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:42 AM
I voted Clarisa Fernandez...She's never really done well on the WtaTour, but has been rather succesful on the ITF...But then again, what she did at RG in 2002 was outstanding, and i won't take anything from her...Beating Clijsters, Dementieva and Suarez in the same tournament is something many can only dream of :)

Ballbasher
Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:54 AM
Mirjana was one of the most talented players ever and she definetely was not weak.I think Fernandez,too

mr_burns
Aug 3rd, 2006, 11:03 AM
Clarissa isn't my vote because she deserved the sf with good wins

fabiola benefited from a retirement and an easy draw...I only know her name because of that sf

all the others had some other good showings

KimC&MariaSNo1's
Aug 3rd, 2006, 11:11 AM
the ones that you dont no anything else about and forget that they were in a semi-final that person is fernandez

-sugi-
Aug 3rd, 2006, 11:16 AM
For me Lucic :sad:

égalité
Aug 3rd, 2006, 11:17 AM

Lucic was incredibly talented. She had won 2 Tour titles and made the semis of Wimbledon (nearly taking out Graf) by the time she was 17. Her father basically ruined her career with all the physical and emotional abuse.

CooCooCachoo
Aug 3rd, 2006, 11:33 AM
I voted Lucic, but I should have voted Fernandez :o She is horrible.

Anyone voting Suarez or Schnyder is out of their minds.

CooCooCachoo
Aug 3rd, 2006, 11:34 AM
I voted Lucic, but I should have voted Fernandez :o She is horrible.

Anyone voting Suarez, Dechy, Likhovtseva, Vaidisova or Schnyder is out of their minds.

tennismaster8820
Aug 3rd, 2006, 11:43 AM
No other player from this list except Lucic ever showed such a big talent and promise to be the best out of best!

V-MAC
Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:09 PM
Patty is so much better than the only one paltry grand slam semi-final she has to her name, a player of her calibre should be reaching the last 4 on a regular basis

Just Do It
Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:12 PM
Clarisa, who is that?I dont know why Jelena Dokic is on this list? She WAS great player at that time...

I'll go with Lucic !

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:13 PM
Clarisa Fernandez.

Why is Dokic even on this list? Former Top 5.

Same question for Patty and Nicole... :shrug:

Natarajasana
Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:45 PM
:rolleyes: At those who voted for Lucic. Hello? Do you even follow tennis?
I went with Stevenson although I can understand people's votes for Fernandez.

dizoo
Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:47 PM
Clarissa

Dexter
Aug 3rd, 2006, 01:49 PM
Fabiola was a fluke... Clarissa at least beaten good players along the way.

Why Top10 players like Dokić, Schnyder, Suarez and Vaidisova (not yet but it's a matter of fact) are on the list? :retard:

mr_burns
Aug 3rd, 2006, 02:10 PM

Why Top10 players like Dokić, Schnyder, Suarez and Vaidisova (not yet but it's a matter of fact) are on the list? :retard:
exactly

DarkchildSwiss
Aug 3rd, 2006, 02:17 PM
dechy

vogus
Aug 3rd, 2006, 02:35 PM
definitely Zuluaga rather than Fernandez. Clarissa earned her way to the semi's, beating Clisters and Suarez.

Zuluaga only reached the semi on a technicality from the default of a match she never would have won, had it been played.

Zuluaga should have an asterix placed next to her name when she is listed as a Slam semifinalist *reached semifinal on Mauresmo's default

magassi
Aug 3rd, 2006, 02:35 PM
I voted for Steveson... but I think it should Clarissa...

vogus
Aug 3rd, 2006, 02:41 PM
interesting that out of 108 total GS semifinal spots so far this decade, only 4 have been taken by players who never reached the Top 10 (Likhovtseva, Dechy, Zuluaga*, Fernandez)

Wiggly
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:05 PM
Zuluaga.

selyoink
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:10 PM
Fernandez got my vote.

Martian KC
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:13 PM
Can't believe I forgot Patty reaching the semi's.

Anyways, I chose vaidisova.:devil:

spencercarlos
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:23 PM

It was not Fabiola´s fault the way the draw opened up her way, the real point is that throught their carreer´s the weakest of them all from the group would be Clarissa as that semifinal has been the only really big thing she has acomplished her whole carreer, has no titles. IMO she is the weakest one. Stevenson second, still Alexandra has reached some finals and has acomplished a little more than Clarissa.

Viktymise
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:25 PM
Zuluaga had the weakest game of all of them i felt

SAEKeithSerena
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:42 PM
elena l in RG 2005

mike/topgun
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:56 PM
sadily between Clarisa and Mirjana:(

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:17 PM
tied:

Fernandez
Stevenson
Zuluaga

Mariajozgz
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:33 PM
If i don´t wrong, Fabiola Zuloaga

LegionArgentina
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:03 PM
Clarisa is very talent she beat great player.
She isnt in the top 100 becouse she is always injured.
This year she won some ITF events and also made won 4 matches in wimbledon after losing in second round (MD) to Medina(top 25) 9-7 in the 3rd set.

Sonf@
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:17 PM
the contest should be between both Stevenson and Fernandez, since they're the only ones that never won a title. At least Stevenson proved that she can/could compete against the top players so my vote goes for Clarisa :sad:

SvetaPleaseWin.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:21 PM
i want to vote for stevenson soooo much but if i was honest likhovtseva was the worse-yes shes a great doubles player but in singles she aint the best

serena_forever
Aug 6th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Nicole

Jaffas85
Aug 6th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Why is Nicole Vaidisova on this list?!

She's only 17, has just entered the Top 10, she's won a string of titles and at the 2006 French Open, after defeating the current #1 Mauresmo and a former #1 V.Williams, she won the first set and almost won the second set in a very close semi final encounter against eventual runner up Svetlana Kuznetsova.

Vaidisova does not belong on that list at all.

jochem
Aug 6th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Zuluaga, Fernandez and Stevenson....

Beny
Aug 6th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Clarisa..I remember watching RG then..definitely Clarisa is the weakest :o

Dexter
Aug 6th, 2006, 12:54 PM
elena l in RG 2005u crack me up with every post :tape: :lol:

TS
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:06 PM
?

Yes, but Fabiola was also a top 20 player, won WTA titles and got some great wins in her career. She was never one to take lightly.

As much as I like Clarissa, I'd have to pick her out of everyone on this list.

Rachel_
Aug 6th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Zuluaga and Fernandez

Stevenson and Lucic had talent and at the time looked like they had top 10 potential so are not WEAK just dissapointing:p

MAURO
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Clarissa isn't my vote because she deserved the sf with good wins

fabiola benefited from a retirement and an easy draw...I only know her name because of that sf

all the others had some other good showings

I really think the same.
Clarisa made it well. Fabiola was so lucky

propi
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Stevenson

cartmancop
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:28 PM
I would say Zuluaga. She had an amazing draw & then Amelie having to withdraw gave her a free pass to the SF.

I think Clarissa played well that tournament and was on her way up the ranks (nothing spectacular or anything but solid progress) & she has since been destroyed by injuries...

vogus
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Yes, but Fabiola was also a top 20 player, won WTA titles and got some great wins in her career. She was never one to take lightly.

As much as I like Clarissa, I'd have to pick her out of everyone on this list.

Zuluaga?? Great wins?? Can you name any of them?

She was like a phantom player, never did much at the Slams or even Tier 1s/2s. Her claim to fame is that she won her Tier 3 home tournament in Bogota (held in February and barely on the WTA radar) like 4 times.

Zuluaga would not have reached Top 20 without that default in the AO quarters, btw, and afterwards she proceeded to lose almost all her matches for the rest of the year, and then retired at a very young age for unclear reasons.

squig2k
Aug 6th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Dechy

Cat's Pajamas
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:01 PM
I wanted to go with Dechy or Zuluaga

but based upon results other than this one tournament I voted Fernandez :shrug:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Aug 6th, 2006, 07:26 PM
first name that popped into my mind when i saw this thread was clarisa fernandez

serena_forever
Aug 6th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Nicole

Louis Cyphre
Aug 6th, 2006, 08:22 PM
If you are at the semi-final it means that you deserve to be there!

zuluagafan
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Zuluaga?? Great wins?? Can you name any of them?

She was like a phantom player, never did much at the Slams or even Tier 1s/2s. Her claim to fame is that she won her Tier 3 home tournament in Bogota (held in February and barely on the WTA radar) like 4 times.

Zuluaga would not have reached Top 20 without that default in the AO quarters, btw, and afterwards she proceeded to lose almost all her matches for the rest of the year, and then retired at a very young age for unclear reasons.
u shouldn't say things that u don't know much about. i followed fabiola thoughout most of her career she didn't loose all her matches that year she reached the 4th round at the French that same year and third at USO. she's beaten some top 10 players and wasn't a player that was easy to get through. she beat players like mauresmo, vera, capriati, mary pierce, tauziat (when ranked 6th.) so doesn't seem like a bad career to me. oh and btw she reached the top 20 a year after the AO semis in 2004

Lulu.
Aug 6th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Clarisa Fernandez

mauresmofan
Aug 6th, 2006, 11:24 PM
I think Stevenson - she got through the weakest field to get to that semi - well that and she is really annoying!

Orion
Aug 6th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Without their grand-slam runs, the three frontrunners in the poll would be:

4-20 (Stevenson), highest ranking 18, 0 titles won from slam run to present
21-18 (Zuluaga), highest ranking 16, 1 title won from slam run to present
6-12 (Fernandez), highest ranking 26, 0 titles won from slam run to present

In addition, Zuluaga has 4 extra titles. So, I think it comes down to personal preference between Alex and Clarisa.

In my opinion, Stevenson was a fluke. It was like she could serve for two weeks, and then never again.